Nicky Shorey

Skirge

He has still not signed a new deal, this kid is hanging on for offers, we need to get right in there no  messing about, meet the fee sign the lad!!

"People will always speculate," insisted Shorey. "It's nothing but paper talk."

"I haven't received an offer but then all offers go through the club.

"Obviously it's nice to hear other clubs are interested because it shows you must be doing something right.

"We'll see what happens and I don't want to say one thing or the other. Things can happen out of the blue. You never know what will happen from one minute to the next in football. We'll just see how it goes."

Why?

Much rather have Bridge, or Baines from what i've seen of him.

I like tis lad a lot and no way we get Bridge, Cole has a shocking injury record, Chelski will not sell Bridge. Baines if class yes but looks like we will not pay the asking price, I think it was £6mill that was being touted about.

Guest DavB93

Why?

Much rather have Bridge, or Baines from what i've seen of him.

I'd have Shorey over Baines and Bridge is highely unlikely.

I'd have any of them...all of them are better than what we've got (That's not hard though), who plays left back for the reserves.

From fans.om so huge pinch of salt, but I think if we are after a LB then he is a pretty safe bet..

Newcastle United line up £5million Shorey bid

07:02 July, 13, 2007

Newcastle United Football Club are keen on Nicky Shorey.

The fullback had such a good season with Reading last term it earned him an international call-up for England, and it has also won him a host of admirers across The Premiership.

One of these is Sam Allardyce, and as the Magpies manager prepared to offer the Royals £5million for Shorey, the player admits he is flattered to be linked with such a club.

"Obviously it's nice to hear other clubs are interested because it shows you must be doing something right,” he told the Reading Chronicle. "We'll see what happens and I don't want to say one thing or the other.

“Things can happen out of the blue. You never know what will happen from one minute to the next in football. We'll just see how it goes."

Not to mention the fact Shorey will be like £3m more expensive than he should be due to his England cap. And he's not all that young.

Around £5mill is a fair price I think, but is £6mill a fair price for Baines?

In an ideal world we would spend the £11mill and buy both, then release Baba..

Guest DavB93

If we are willing to pay £5 million on Shorey would prefer to pay the £6 million for Baines as he's much better and younger.

Guest DavB93

If we are willing to pay £5 million on Shorey would prefer to pay the £6 million for Baines as he's much better and younger.

Its Sam though, if he can save a mill he will..

You might have a point there like Skirge...we'll just have to wait and see.

I remember reading that we didnt want Baines because of his height though?

Apparently SA did a study, and one of the primary reasons for our goals conceded was because of a lack of height. Baines comes in at only 5'7'', so I think that put him off.

Apparently SA did a study, and one of the primary reasons for our goals conceded was because of a lack of height. Baines comes in at only 5'7'', so I think that put him off.

Yeh, Shorey's a giant.

We don't seem to have any cast iron targets for LB strangely. Heinze was the preferred choice but it's not going to happen, so would like to see some firming up of identified LB's personally.

Yeh, Shorey's a giant.

Shorey's 5'9" which for a LB is just about ok.

Guest 22bnw

Yeh, Shorey's a giant.

Habib Beye is 5ft9 aswell - same as Carr & Babayaro

Guest DavB93

I wouldn't of thought been tall is necessary for a LB, fair enough for a CB. Ashley cole isn't tall at all 5'6" I think and done him no harm.

From what I've seen of Shorey he looks like a solid confident full back, also seems willing to support the left mid by overlapping and sticking crosses in.

Haven't seen much of Baines so I can't really compare, but I'd be very happy if we signed Shorey.

Jesus wept. If Shorey is the best Allardyce can get, then I'm worried. £5m for Shorey, £4.5m for Grosso...hmm.

i'm pretty annoyed at the whole Grosso thing, how it just went under the radar with no great battle from any other teams (i.e... us)

But 5'7" is too short? Those two inches make all the difference???

I'd rather have Baines. Shorey has all the hallmarks of a one-season wonder whereas Baines looks like a genuine young prospect.

But 5'7" is too short? Those two inches make all the difference???

I'd rather have Baines. Shorey has all the hallmarks of a one-season wonder whereas Baines looks like a genuine young prospect.

Maybe Sam wants a seasoned pro at left back rather than a young prospect?