Time to show your hand Mr. Ashley

Guest Guinness

Rooooney!!!!!

Good point, that's one where we went up against Man U and lost.

No shame in losing out to a player to Man Utd, don't forget Rooney said in his autobiography that he was prepared to come here before that lot stepped in.

Random prediction. Everything will be all fine and dandy for the first few months, Rooney will get disgruntled at Tevez taking his runs, glory, etc. get p*ssed off by March, dropped in April, Newcastle player in July after the Euro's. (if England make it...June if they don't.)

I think some people have very selective memories. When we finished 4th, 3rd and 5th in the league we still couldn't attract the top players, we bought players like Carr, Butt, Milner, Bowyer. Kluivert came too because we paid him a fortune in wages, but he had strings attached anyway regarding fitness/attitude. Woodgate was the only truly big signing during those years but he also had strings attached because of his injuries.

Our pulling power next summer will be the same as it is now, barring a miracle league performance.

Just goes to show you don't need to spend massive money. ;)

but the teams who actually won it spent massivly.

Guest Verlaine

I think some people have very selective memories. When we finished 4th, 3rd and 5th in the league we still couldn't attract the top players, we bought players like Carr, Butt, Milner, Bowyer. Kluivert came too because we paid him a fortune in wages, but he had strings attached anyway regarding fitness/attitude. Woodgate was the only truly big signing during those years but he also had strings attached because of his injuries.

Our pulling power next summer will be the same as it is now, barring a miracle league performance.

You got a problem with finishing 4th or 3rd or 5th, or will you be satisfied with nothing less than the title, next season? :razz: :razz:

what rubbish,if man utd were the only bidders and he wanted to go it would drive the price down,us bidding aswell and him wanting away drove the price up,hence no favour for man utd.

are you sure it wasn't a ploy to sell season tickets ?

Hence I never said it was a favor for Man Utd.  I could try & explain it but there is no point if you not going to change mind.

No, as I said it was all about getting Rooney a move to Man Utd

You got a problem with finishing 4th or 3rd or 5th, or will you be satisfied with nothing less than the title, next season? :razz: :razz:

if you finish 4th and 3rd you want to improve on it.

Guest Verlaine

if you finish 4th and 3rd you want to improve on it.

And there I was, thinking we weren't even top-half last season.

what rubbish,if man utd were the only bidders and he wanted to go it would drive the price down,us bidding aswell and him wanting away drove the price up,hence no favour for man utd.

Hence I never said it was a favor for Man Utd.  I could try & explain it but there is no point if you not going to change mind.

I think we were closer to signing Rooney than a lot of people think. Rooney himself has even said if Man Utd hadn't went in for him, he would have came here.

I think we were closer to signing Rooney than a lot of people think. Rooney himself has even said if Man Utd hadn't went in for him, he would have came here.

so,we bid for rooney in order to get him a move to man utd ? or did we try to do something for ourselves (actually quite well timed) that ended up with him going to man utd ?

two completly different events

Why the hell would we bid for him so he could go to Man Utd??? Would make no sense. I remember after that Norwich home game when Bellamy was blabbing his mouth off about "doing what's best for Craig Bellamy wehhhhh", and Shearer saying, "he wouldn't mind losing his place to a player like Wayne Rooney", Robson coming out and saying we had a chance of signing him, and at the time said, "even a club of Man Utd's size can't afford Wayne Rooney", because about a week before our bid, Man Utd said they couldn't afford him, Chelsea said they didn't need him, etc. I believe we made the bid because we thought we'd be the only contender, then obviously Man Utd bid in the end and we lost out.

Why the hell would we bid for him so he could go to Man Utd??? Would make no sense. I remember after that Norwich home game when Bellamy was blabbing his mouth off about "doing what's best for Craig Bellamy wehhhhh", and Shearer saying, "he wouldn't mind losing his place to a player like Wayne Rooney", Robson coming out and saying we had a chance of signing him, and at the time said, "even a club of Man Utd's size can't afford Wayne Rooney", because about a week before our bid, Man Utd said they couldn't afford him, Chelsea said they didn't need him, etc. I believe we made the bid because we thought we'd be the only contender, then obviously Man Utd bid in the end and we lost out.

yes,i think we've nailed that one shut :bang:

so,we bid for rooney in order to get him a move to man utd ?

That's what I believe. Paul Stretford (Rooneys agent) a person Bobby Robson referred to as our chief scout, I am sure at the time Bobby didn't know about the bid for Rooney. Paul Stretford used to rent an office @ St James Park for one his employees in the North East to work from, Kenny Shepherd...........aw fuck it your not bothered & maybe I have watched to much M.Moore but I still think I am correct :)

But the day after we'd made the bid for Everton, Robson was on TV confirming the bid, so he obviously knew about it.

ON,

Were we playing a team at home the previous night? I am sure Bob did not know about the bid at that time when asked about it.

Where has your other post went? ;)

You deleted your post first! And yes, I do think Robson knew about the Rooney bid. I don't think it was his idea. Was probably a case of Shepherd calling him into his office saying "Would you like Rooney", Robson obviously saying, "Yes", and then Shepherd saying we'll get the funds to sign him.

Guest optimistic nit

to be honest the main outfield players who got us there cost a combined total of over 30million.

Guest Verlaine

to be honest the main outfield players who got us there cost a combined total of over 30million.

If you think about it, though, the three players who might get us there next season cost about £33 million.

You deleted your post first! And yes, I do think Robson knew about the Rooney bid. I don't think it was his idea. Was probably a case of Shepherd calling him into his office saying "Would you like Rooney", Robson obviously saying, "Yes", and then Shepherd saying we'll get the funds to sign him.

Bobby said as much as that in his book, Shepherd asked him if he wanted Rooney and Robson said something along the lines of wanting a defender.  Or am I confusing that with Woodgate going?

Woodgate only left a few days before the Rooney bid, so the same time really.

I also think we would have been going for defenders at the same time, but the likelihood is that because we sold Woodgate so late in the window we couldn't really replace him. Weren't we supposed to be close to getting Balde at that time but Celtic knocked us back?

Bobby said as much as that in his book, Shepherd asked him if he wanted Rooney and Robson said something along the lines of wanting a defender.  Or am I confusing that with Woodgate going?

Yeah, Robson asked if he could get a defender in too, he wanted Gardner from Spurs. :lol:

We had the cash thats what makes it  100% a credible bid,  I just think we were used to force Man United into bidding. Which both knights of the realm @ Old Trafford said.

I will let you have the last word, as we could post forever & your not going to change your stance & I belive what I have wrote :)

Anyone remember Shotgun Mick? He still posts now and again.

Anyway he came on the old toontastic and said we're signing Rooney, everyone laughed it off until the next day when Everton announced we'd had a £20 million bid turned down.

Mick said after that he knew because the club had leaked it to the press office as they were sure the £20 million would be accepted, I presume that was what Rooney's agent had told them.

Something along those lines.