Time to show your hand Mr. Ashley

Guest Guinness

It would be more reassuring if the chairman he appointed actually had any previous experience in how to run a football club. By all accounts he's appointed one of his closest and most trusted employees, who used to be a lawyer in the city. I don't think Mr Mort will be fired easily if things don't go to plan, whatever that is; it's more likely Allardyce (who was appointed by Shepherd before the takeover) will be the first person out the door if that happens.

It would be more reassuring if the chairman he appointed actually had any previous experience in how to run a football club. By all accounts he's appointed one of his closest and most trusted employees, who used to be a lawyer in the city. I don't think Mr Mort will be fired easily if things don't go to plan, whatever that is; it's more likely Allardyce (who was appointed by Shepherd before the takeover) will be the first person out the door if that happens.

Mort isn't here as the Chairman.  As far as I remember he isn't even here for the long term.  When he was appointed I seem to remember it being mentioned that he was merely taking a sabbatical from his normal job.  No doubt he has significant power, probably second only to Ashley.  But I definitely don't think its planned for him to take over the day to day running of the club long term.  But rather to oversee the likes of Shepherd and be Ashley's eyes in the club in the early days of the take over.  He'll also be here to speerhead the internal review.

At the moment it feels to me a bit like the Emperor's new clothes.

I have been thinking that very same thing but resisted posting the comparison as it would have invited the usual comments about expecting us to sign superstars or Ashley to make bold, unrealistic, statements.

As Unbelievable says we are not niaive 12 year olds. An awful of the replies to our type of post are either by way of supposed examples of unrealistic requests for information that we simple have not asked for or by what these supporters think will happen. The word obviously has been used multiple times in response.

I have not had to use the word obvious as it is not at all obvious to me & I would rather deal with facts from the horses mouth or at least the monkey he is using.

There is apparent blind faith based upon the obvious good he will bring to the club or an acceptance that he is the owner & can do what he wants. In my eyes that smacks of apathy on the part of some supporters or a youthful expectation that everything will be alright in the end. What will be will be.

Mort isn't here as the Chairman.  As far as I remember he isn't even here for the long term.  When he was appointed I seem to remember it being mentioned that he was merely taking a sabbatical from his normal job.  No doubt he has significant power, probably second only to Ashley.  But I definitely don't think its planned for him to take over the day to day running of the club long term.  But rather to oversee the likes of Shepherd and be Ashley's eyes in the club in the early days of the take over.  He'll also be here to speerhead the internal review.

Allright, my contribution was actually in response to your suggestion that Ashley wasn't going to be the chairman himself and would appoint somebody else who could be held accountable. I assumed you meant Mr Mort, but obviously not. He is currently the deputy chairman behind Shepherd though, so it's not a big leap of thought to think he will be next in line once the club say goodbye to Shepherd himself. What makes you think Mort will not be our chairman and how do you know Ashley is not the kind of man to run the club himself, as you suggested in your earlier post?

Skepticism is fine, but I have to say I don't see anything mentioned here as a negative point.  As a PLC we were already Shepherds play thing anyway.  At least now we will not actually be run day to day by the man who owns the club.  Its pretty clear that Ashley isn't the kind of person who will try to run a Football club (nor is he in to play things).  He will have a chairman, manager ect running the club and they will all be held accountable for there actions.  In the past the Chairman was untouchable, now he's just an employee who can even be sacked if he makes the wrong decisions for long enough.  Sounds like another step forward to me..

Couldn't agree more with this, however, the buck always stops at someone. Now it is the owner. I don't know if Ashley will be your chairman or will appoint someone else, but Lerner is ours, so strictly speaking our chairman can't be sacked.

He doesn't report to anyone but himself, has no shareholders to consider, and does what he wants. For us, Ellis did the same in practise, but even with his sycophant and relative-stuffed board, and other shareholders, there was at least *some* element of control.

With people like Ashley or Lerner, I don't think we have any real reason to be overly suspicious of their motives. The worst they can realistically want to do is make money ... and to be honest, in our case, any Villa fan who doesn't think that the first thing Lerner thought when he started buying the club was "fucking hell, that's way undervalued" is naive.

What is now apparent in our support, and I am intrigued by your situation, is that further down the line, we now have a situation where we're so fucking relieved to be rid of the old guard, and the new guard are looking excellent in (almost) all they have done, that there is a culture of "how dare you complain, how fucking ungrateful" which surpresses anyone criticising or questioning the new regime, however valid or constructive that criticism.

Faith is excellent, blind faith is naive and dangerous, and that, for me, is why we need to maintain this healthy scepticism.

What makes you think Mort will not be our chairman

The fact that Ashley is carrying out a thorough review of the club as a first step might lend some credence to the idea of Mort being brought in on a temporary basis, surely?

He's a lawyer, isn't he? And a close confidant of Ashley, so therefore the perfect kind of person to conduct that review, I'd have thought.

Doesn't mean he will be temporary, but suggests that it is a possibility.

Skepticism is fine, but I have to say I don't see anything mentioned here as a negative point.  As a PLC we were already Shepherds play thing anyway.  At least now we will not actually be run day to day by the man who owns the club.  Its pretty clear that Ashley isn't the kind of person who will try to run a Football club (nor is he in to play things).  He will have a chairman, manager ect running the club and they will all be held accountable for there actions.  In the past the Chairman was untouchable, now he's just an employee who can even be sacked if he makes the wrong decisions for long enough.  Sounds like another step forward to me..

Couldn't agree more with this, however, the buck always stops at someone. Now it is the owner. I don't know if Ashley will be your chairman or will appoint someone else, but Lerner is ours, so strictly speaking our chairman can't be sacked.

He doesn't report to anyone but himself, has no shareholders to consider, and does what he wants. For us, Ellis did the same in practise, but even with his sycophant and relative-stuffed board, and other shareholders, there was at least *some* element of control.

With people like Ashley or Lerner, I don't think we have any real reason to be overly suspicious of their motives. The worst they can realistically want to do is make money ... and to be honest, in our case, any Villa fan who doesn't think that the first thing Lerner thought when he started buying the club was "f****** hell, that's way undervalued" is naive.

What is now apparent in our support, and I am intrigued by your situation, is that further down the line, we now have a situation where we're so f****** relieved to be rid of the old guard, and the new guard are looking excellent in (almost) all they have done, that there is a culture of "how dare you complain, how f****** ungrateful" which surpresses anyone criticising or questioning the new regime, however valid or constructive that criticism.

Faith is excellent, blind faith is naive and dangerous, and that, for me, is why we need to maintain this healthy scepticism.

Would agree with most of this, Brummie.

Guest Reservoir Mags

With people like Ashley or Lerner, I don't think we have any real reason to be overly suspicious of their motives. The worst they can realistically want to do is make money ... and to be honest, in our case, any Villa fan who doesn't think that the first thing Lerner thought when he started buying the club was "f****** hell, that's way undervalued" is naive.

What is now apparent in our support, and I am intrigued by your situation, is that further down the line, we now have a situation where we're so f****** relieved to be rid of the old guard, and the new guard are looking excellent in (almost) all they have done, that there is a culture of "how dare you complain, how f****** ungrateful" which surpresses anyone criticising or questioning the new regime, however valid or constructive that criticism.

Good sensible comments, particularly the closing sentence.

What makes you think Mort will not be our chairman

The fact that Ashley is carrying out a thorough review of the club as a first step might lend some credence to the idea of Mort being brought in on a temporary basis, surely?

He's a lawyer, isn't he? And a close confidant of Ashley, so therefore the perfect kind of person to conduct that review, I'd have thought.

Doesn't mean he will be temporary, but suggests that it is a possibility.

Then why is he currently the deputy chairman? He could have done the internal review as a non-executive person. Surely, everybody in the club would have known he represented Mr Ashley, so what's the need for the job title tag?

The same is going on over here mate. If you question the wisdom of certain signings, people come out with the same old tired responses ("so we should go out and buy Kaka should we?"). Allardyce came out to the press a few days ago and said the new owners don't really know what they're doing in the transfer market, started quoting how much clubs like Fulham are spending and said we're getting left behind while targets are getting nailed every day. He said he needs to get across to them the importance of moving quickly so he can get the defenders he needs. It was a plea via the media to Ashley and co for money. I'm not even sure Allardyce has met Ashley yet, but a good number of fans were concerned he's using the media to ask for funds and fast. However, come on here and voice that and you get the sarcy "let's sign Kaka then" brigade saying there's ages left in the transfer window so shut up.

Clearly this internal review is slowing things down, and nobody has any idea when it'll finish, but if it's concerning Allardyce then it should concern the fans. If he knows more than us and he's concerned then something's not right, and if he doesn't know more than us then what the hell is going on? I don't like to see my manager looking for funds via the media, it suggests communication behind the scenes is limited and it doesn't look very professional.

On the previous page somebody made the comparison to the Emperor's new clothes and that's exactly what's going on. I imagine things are similar over at your end, though I must admit I haven't been following your summer at all.

The same is going on over here mate. If you question the wisdom of certain signings, people come out with the same old tired responses ("so we should go out and buy Kaka should we?"). Allardyce came out to the press a few days ago and said the new owners don't really know what they're doing in the transfer market, started quoting how much clubs like Fulham are spending and said we're getting left behind while targets are getting nailed every day. He said he needs to get across to them the importance of moving quickly so he can get the defenders he needs. It was a plea via the media to Ashley and co for money. I'm not even sure Allardyce has met Ashley yet, but a good number of fans were concerned he's using the media to ask for funds and fast. However, come on here and voice that and you get the sarcy "let's sign Kaka then" brigade saying there's ages left in the transfer window so shut up.

Clearly this internal review is slowing things down, and nobody has any idea when it'll finish, but if it's concerning Allardyce then it should concern the fans. If he knows more than us and he's concerned then something's not right, and if he doesn't know more than us then what the hell is going on? I don't like to see my manager looking for funds via the media, it suggests communication behind the scenes is limited and it doesn't look very professional.

On the previous page somebody made the comparison to the Emperor's new clothes and that's exactly what's going on. I imagine things are similar over at your end, though I must admit I haven't been following your summer at all.

Bingo.

Three weeks till the Bolton game. Time is indeed running out if we are looking to field a defence that has at least a few games under their belt together.

There are presumptions, even amongst the Ashley sceptics.

Failure to add to our signings so far can be attributable to:

i) Lack of experience/reluctance of the new board to make the necessary funds available for the players SA wants.

ii) SA actually not informing the board of who he wants i.e. doesn't know/hasn't made up his mind.

iii) Players SA wants not wanting to come here/not being available.

Over the last year, our new lot have built a new 14m pound training centre, spent 4m restoring the derelict Holte Hotel (pub at the back of the Holte End) to its original Victorian state (and I have to say, it looks fucking amazing), pulled off the shirt deal with Nike (Bob Kain of IMG is on our board, I suspect he was heavily involved), and ponied up a decent amount of cash in January for players - the year has generally been good news followed by good news, mustn't grumble on that front.

We know the money is there for big signings, but we're going to have the same problem you are, in that having big money is great, but the best players want Europe, and they want it now. So one thing we've seen is this "why aren't we signing Huntelaar or Sneijder?" thing all the time, when the big question is why they'd possibly want to sign for us *as things are at the moment*.

What is really, really annoying is my original point about the creeping culture of unquestioned loyalty.

What makes it more visible for us is that General Krulak, Lerner's right hand man, and a board member posts regularly on our four main forums - he has his own thread basically, where you can post questions to the board, and he tries to reply.

At first it was great - he genuinely does help, and there have been several things suggested by fans which the club has done (this would never have happened under Ellis), but the downside of it is that with him as the board's 'cheerleader', people moaning about, say, our horrible new badge, get accused (by other fans, not by him) of "moaning for the sake of it" or being ungrateful.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think we could have been luckier than we have been so far with Lerner, they have been great. That doesn't mean they're infallible, though (Doug Ellis was our saviour in 1968, and he really did save the club, and look how that turned out), and it doesn't mean we should never criticise when we think we need to - and that's pretty much the point I'm trying to get over re Ashley (or indeed any new owner).

i) Lack of experience/reluctance of the new board to make the necessary funds available for the players SA wants.

ii) SA actually not informing the board of who he wants i.e. doesn't know/hasn't made up his mind.

Do your own presumptions not worry you?

Do your own presumptions not worry you?

What are my presumptions?

I know that so far, we haven't achieved anything we could of under the old Board. I'm just pointing out that it might be SA is the problem, or just bad luck with the kind of players we want.

Or it might be the new board are a hindrance right now.

Didn't Mort say a while ago that he had daily contact with Allardyce, and that he again reported back to Ashley?

Good post.

Both me and Ohmelads were shot down last week for saying Queudrue isn't good enough, it's like they're on a high about Allardyce and Ashely coming in and seem to see the positive in everything. Would these same people have been happy if we brought Queudrue in under Shepherd? No chance they would as I remember the majority of this forum against the idea of bringing Callum Davies in.

We've just started pre-season games with Ramage and Huntington in the starting line upand I pray we don't have to start the season with them, this isn't good enough whether it's Mort or Shepherd in charge, that's not to say we won't have better defenders in by the time the season kicks off but anyone who isn't worried that we could end up like we did last summer needs to have a word with themselves.

Both me and Ohmelads were shot down last week for saying Queudrue isn't good enough, it's like they're on a high about Allardyce and Ashely coming in and seem to see the positive in everything. Would these same people have been happy if we brought Queudrue in under Shepherd? No chance they would as I remember the majority of this forum against the idea of bringing Callum Davies in.

Spookily similar to our boards this last week on the subject of players like Harewood.

All you can do is trust in the manager's ability, and the will of the board to back him, and hope that he is getting such players in because he wants them (which is almost certainly the case) rather than that's because he can't afford better.

Guest another sheep

More than happy with the players that we have signed so far and the 'players' that have departed and whilst I did not expect this season to spend 40-50m (Man U / Liverpool) I did expect more key signings to push for 5th place to be with us for the full pre-season (at least the addition of a top CB and LB). 

I'm not talking about anyone on here personally, I don't want to get into the sort of thing we've just seen for the last 5 pages.

If your scepticism is about how he wants to run the club then that's sensible. I think the signs are all good so far though, and the caution over signings could even be considered as further evidence of the reviews and thorough going-over the club is being subjected to by Ashley's team. I just thing there are more signs of progress than signs of anything to be worried about.

If by sceptisicm you mean "a method of intellectual caution and suspended judgment", then I'm happy to be called a sceptic.

The thing is, there's nothing happened so far (wrt transfers being made) that would not have happened under the old board anyway. Yet if the manager had complained about the slowness of the board to act on transfers under the old regime there would be uproar.

There have been very few actual statements or actions from the club, so what exactly are these "signs of progress" that are giving you and others such a positive feel about Ashley?. I've seen and heard pretty much nothing, so there's nothing to give me either a positive or negative feel, but the lack of any communication whatsoever is not IMO a good sign. At the moment it feels to me a bit like the Emperor's new clothes.

absolutely correct. But who would have thought it, that "anyone" would do better than the outgoing board, who have "prevented the club from moving forwards and being the club we ought to  be"....

People who complained about Shepherd saying daft things to the press sometimes, and saying they wanted someone who stayed in the backround, shouldn't really bother complaining when they realise this is what they now have. Lack of communication, is never a good thing, anywhere

Good post.

We've just started pre-season games with Ramage and Huntington in the starting line upand I pray we don't have to start the season with them, this isn't good enough whether it's Mort or Shepherd in charge, that's not to say we won't have better defenders in by the time the season kicks off but anyone who isn't worried that we could end up like we did last summer needs to have a word with themselves.

Rather tellingly, there now appears to be a slow trickle of people who are realising that replacing the old board with "anyone" may not necessarily be the automatic passport to gold and glory that they thought it would be.

And Ashley is one of the better ones who could have taken over  :shifty:

Good post.

Rather tellingly, there now appears to be a slow trickle of people who are realising that replacing the old board with "anyone" may not necessarily be the automatic passport to gold and glory that they thought it would be.

I don't think anyone thought that a new board couldn't be worse although you kept accusing people of it without a single quote to back it up.

Nice to see you're enjoying it anyway.

Good post.

I don't think anyone thought that a new board couldn't be worse although you kept accusing people of it without a single quote to back it up.

Nice to see you're enjoying it anyway.

I'm sure I've spent about the last 2 years telling people - not you - who were claiming that Shepherd was the person preventing NUFC from being the club that they were, every time I said that there were many many chairman who would be worse and replacing with better was far from automatic ........ it is the single biggest reason for the amount of people who have disagreed with me, slated me for this view and had "arguments".

I'm not enjoying it at all. If Ashley turns out not to be better than the Halls and Shepherd, I could have kept my shares.