Time to show your hand Mr. Ashley

Guest Guinness

Guest Guinness

We know nothing about this guy's intentions and it is healthy and normal to question his motives, his moves. He's just taken over the club we all love and support, of course we should be asking questions and I worry about those who don't care who he is.

These are exciting times but this guy may or may not be good news for us, time will tell. We're all in the dark at the moment so I find a lot of the blind faith in Ashley a bit curious to say the least. I'm delighted Shepherd's gone and my gut feeling is we're heading in the right direction, but until I know who this guy is and what his intentions are I'm not going to get carried away or whinge at people who have constructive views.

Exactly.

Jesus I'm sorry I actually want to know what our new owner wants to do with the club. All I'm saying in my post is that I'd like to know what his intentions are for the club, I also say that a lot of positve changes have already been made and there is still plenty of time. It is not being fickle wanting him to state his intentions. Mike Ashley is a businessman, he's going to want to make money, the new TV package has made football a very attractive industry, forgive me for being a little bit cautious about what he intends to do.

I'm pretty sure Sam will have the squad right at the top of the agenda in spite of all the other things that need taking care of.

I don't think he is geared up quite yet to sign NUFC overseas trophy signings who have zero premiership experience. The players he has signed so far prove this.

We know nothing about this guy's intentions and it is healthy and normal to question his motives, his moves. He's just taken over the club we all love and support, of course we should be asking questions and I worry about those who don't care who he is.

These are exciting times but this guy may or may not be good news for us, time will tell. We're all in the dark at the moment so I find a lot of the blind faith in Ashley a bit curious to say the least. I'm delighted Shepherd's gone and my gut feeling is we're heading in the right direction, but until I know who this guy is and what his intentions are I'm not going to get carried away or whinge at people who have constructive views.

Exactly.

Jesus I'm sorry I actually want to know what our new owner wants to do with the club. All I'm saying in my post is that I'd like to know what his intentions are for the club, I also say that a lot of positve changes have already been made and there is still plenty of time. It is not being fickle wanting him to state his intentions. Mike Ashley is a businessman, he's going to want to make money, the new TV package has made football a very attractive industry, forgive me for being a little bit cautious about what he intends to do.

if Ashley's past record is anything to go by, you will have a long wait. Stand by for being giving next to no information if anything at all about such things. We will get the odd interview as we have just seen with Chris Mort and that will be it.

For those who didn't want a chairman who liked to be seen in the press, don't moan if this is what you now get. It's what you said you wanted.

Me ? I couldn't care less, my stance is the same as it was with Shepherd, I'm only concerned with what happens on the pitch, and how much the board back their managers.

Exactly.

if Ashley's past record is anything to go by, you will have a long wait. Stand by for being giving next to no information if anything at all about such things. We will get the odd interview as we have just seen with Chris Mort and that will be it.

For those who didn't want a chairman who liked to be seen in the press, don't moan if this is what you now get. It's what you said you wanted.

Me ? I couldn't care less, my stance is the same as it was with Shepherd, I'm only concerned with what happens on the pitch, and how much the board back their managers.

Neef senses the first oppurtunity for a counter-strike. :razz:

A simple yes or no answer will do.

Was Shepherd a success as chairman?

A simple yes or no answer will do.

Was Shepherd a success as chairman?

A simple answer will suffice. If Allardyce is successful, who will you credit ? and if he isn't who will you blame ?

A FACT, by the way, is that under Shepherd we gained our first 3 consecutive top 5 finishes in 50 years. Do you dispute this ? Or do you think that all of our chairman in the 1960's 70's and 80's were "just the same" - you know, those years where we qualified for europe 4 times in 30 years, and reached the top 5 once.

Do you accept this FACT or not ?

I think it is absolutely hilarious that you say you are happy with the last few weeks and the signings the club has made, I bet you that if Shepherd had still been chairman - and the same manager had bought the same players - you would be harping on in your usual style about still needing half a team blah blah blah.

You're still a joke.

mackems.gif

Can't be arsed to read this and the Beef thread (?), am I safe to assume they simply consist of people wanting us to spend silly money already?

Nah, much more to it than that.. It´s not about spending silly money, it´s about targeting and bringing in the players that will take us up a level, rather than Carr and Babayaro Mk II

Can't be arsed to read this and the Beef thread (?), am I safe to assume they simply consist of people wanting us to spend silly money already?

Nah, much more to it than that.. It´s not about spending silly money, it´s about targeting and bringing in the players that will take us up a level, rather than Carr and Babayaro Mk II

It's the second week in July.

A simple answer will suffice. If Allardyce is successful, who will you credit ? and if he isn't who will you blame ?

A FACT, by the way, is that under Shepherd we gained our first 3 consecutive top 5 finishes in 50 years. Do you dispute this ? Or do you think that all of our chairman in the 1960's 70's and 80's were "just the same" - you know, those years where we qualified for europe 4 times in 30 years, and reached the top 5 once.

I think it is absolutely hilarious that you say you are happy with the last few weeks and the signings the club has made, I bet you that if Shepherd had still been chairman - and the same manager had bought the same players - you would be harping on in your usual style about still needing half a team blah blah blah.

You're still a joke.

mackems.gif

Why answer a question with a question?

The normal chain of events is for an answer to follow a question, that goes out of the window whenever a question is directed towards you.

You said:

(NE5 quote)  "my stance is the same as it was with Shepherd, I'm only concerned with what happens on the pitch."

Using your criteria, was Shepherd a success as chairman?

Doesn´t really matter when you make bad buys does it? Whether you buy them in May, July or end of August, you have to pay their wages for the full length of the contract also when they are of little value to you anymore (Babayaro and Carr are prime examples in our current squad).. Dave, are you happy with our current transfer targets?

Doesn´t really matter when you make bad buys does it? Whether you buy them in May, July or end of August, you have to pay their wages for the full length of the contract also when they are of little value to you anymore (Babayaro and Carr are prime examples in our current squad).. Dave, are you happy with our current transfer targets?

I don't know what our current transfer targets are. Neither do you.

Yes but tomorrow is the start of the third.   :tickedoff:

Monday tbh. Start a poll. :razz:

Tomorrow is the 15th and we normally get 7 days in a week, I win so panic.

Eff orf. ;)

You're not going to panic, are you?

What if I reminded you that at this time next week we'll be looking at week 4, are the palms sweating?

Do you have perspiration developing on your top lip?

Eff orf. ;)

You're not going to panic, are you?

What if I reminded you that at this time next week we'll be looking at week 4, are the palms sweating?

Do you have perspiration developing on your top lip?

Yeah man, it's salty. I'm positively shitting myself at all these players no-nowt hacks are filling their pages with.

Seriously though, i'm happy with our business so far, there's ages left, we don't know whether Ashley is releasing major funds yet etc.

You're still a joke.

mackems.gif

Why answer a question with a question?

The normal chain of events is for an answer to follow a question, that goes out of the window whenever a question is directed towards you.

You said:

(NE5 quote)  "my stance is the same as it was with Shepherd, I'm only concerned with what happens on the pitch."

Using your criteria, was Shepherd a success as chairman?

the answer is in the question, but I should have realised you wouldn't understand.

Its about looking at facts, or an opinion based on the fact that you don't like someone for a reason and are so unable to make a rational judgment.

Seeing as you aren't astute enough to work it out, the simple FACTS are that under Shepherd as chairman and the manager he appointed, we achieved our highest 3 consecutive league positions in 50 years. Unless of course you dispute this, in which case I suggest you look at the league tables. We also reached 2 FA Cup finals, which we hadn't also done since the 1950's

If Allardyce is successful, who will you give credit to ? If he isn't , who will you blame ?

the answer is in the question, but I should have realised you wouldn't understand.

Its about looking at facts, or an opinion based on the fact that you don't like someone for a reason and are so unable to make a rational judgment.

Seeing as you aren't astute enough to work it out, the simple FACTS are that under Shepherd as chairman and the manager he appointed, we achieved our highest 3 consecutive league positions in 50 years. Unless of course you dispute this, in which case I suggest you look at the league tables. We also reached 2 FA Cup finals, which we hadn't also done since the 1950's

If Allardyce is successful, who will you give credit to ? If he isn't , who will you blame ?

You still haven't answered, yes or no?

I can see both points of view tbh, on the one hand we've got over 6 weeks before the transfer window closes so it's still a little early to start worrying yet, however we had this attitude last summer of presuming everything would be ok and it came back to bite us on the arse, also the quality of defenders we've been linked with aren't up to much.

Quaudrue(sp?) and Young are not good enough, that's not suggesting we should be aiming for Alves or Ashley Cole but we should definitely be aiming for better, it's got nothing to do with us having a billionaire owner as I wouldn't of been happy with this pair under the old board either, we've already proven this summer that we can pick quality up cheap so it's what we should be aiming to do with defenders if the money isn't there.

I agree with Verlaine that we've got plenty of quality in the midfield and attack, however our defense is awful and is never going to improve with average players like this, I'm willing to go with Allardyce's judgement on Rozenhal and Fanni if he goes for him as I've never seen the pair of them play before, however there's no chance I'll be following him with blind faith if he's going to sign players that I think are shite, we need better and we should be aiming higher.

Back in January we had bids for both Crouch and Davies turned down as their clubs didn't want to sell at the time, as far as I'm concerned that money should still be available for transfers and if it isn't then I'm interested to know why, it'll be a kick in the teeth if our new billionaire owner doesn't back his manager like Shepherd did.

I can see both points of view tbh, on the one hand we've got over 6 weeks before the transfer window closes so it's still a little early to start worrying yet, however we had this attitude last summer of presuming everything would be ok and it came back to bite us on the arse, also the quality of defenders we've been linked with aren't up to much.

Quaudrue(sp?) and Young are not good enough, that's not suggesting we should be aiming for Alves or Ashley Cole but we should definitely be aiming for better, it's got nothing to do with us having a billionaire owner as I wouldn't of been happy with this pair under the old board either, we've already proven this summer that we can pick quality up cheap so it's what we should be aiming to do with defenders if the money isn't there.

I agree with Verlaine that we've got plenty of quality in the midfield and attack, however our defense is awful and is never going to improve with average players like this, I'm willing to go with Allardyce's judgement on Rozenhal and Fanni if he goes for him as I've never seen the pair of them play before, however there's no chance I'll be following him with blind faith if he's going to sign players that I think are shite, we need better and we should be aiming higher.

Back in January we had bids for both Crouch and Davies turned down as their clubs didn't want to sell at the time, as far as I'm concerned that money should still be available for transfers and if it isn't then I'm interested to know why, it'll be a kick in the teeth if our new billionaire owner doesn't back his manager like Shepherd did.

Fair enough, but our business so far pisses all over last year's debacle already. Sure we still need quality at the back but Allardyce has said time and again that he knows this and is working to bring four new players/defenders in. He spent a lot of effort getting Bolton hard to beat and I trust him to do the same here, whether he has millions to spend or not. The key this year for me is to get us back towards the European spots, if we can do that without spending big i'll be happy. It gives Ashley's team chance to fix the books as required and move on. That way we can spend and push on properly next year when we can attract the better players without simply flashing money at them.

I'm not bothered who we get linked with, i'm bothered who actually signs. There is often a significant difference.