NUFC not the subject of the police raids - Statement

Guest thenorthumbrian

Staggering that you're still so obsessed by the tosser, as he moves to his fourth new club since he played for us.

thats 2 more goals than your idol scored for us in his last season.

mackems.gif

BTW UV where do you think the new board will get money from to make any signings?

Do you think he'll put his hand in his own pocket or be like the old board and continue to add to our mountain of debt?

Most of it will come from season ticket sales and the increased TV money. I've not worked it out, but that's probably at least £25m without increasing the debt. He may even put an initial extra amount in himself. However I don't for a second believe that in the long run he will continue to put his own money into the club. In the future we will have no visibility of how much he is putting into or taking out of the club though so who knows.

Let me ask you this - Ashley has built his money with a "pile it high, sell it cheap" philosophy, and a permanent "closing down sale, everything must go" marketing strategy. What makes everyone so confident that with NUFC he will adopt a risky strategy of spending big on high quality players in the hope of large rewards (ie top end of the market) rather than spending just enough on decent players to maintain premiership status and occasionally getting into Europe (ie trying to be the best of the mid range market)? What makes you think he's going to be straight up and honest with us supporters when he treats his current customers as mugs?

BTW UV where do you think the new board will get money from to make any signings?

Do you think he'll put his hand in his own pocket or be like the old board and continue to add to our mountain of debt?

Most of it will come from season ticket sales and the increased TV money. I've not worked it out, but that's probably at least £25m without increasing the debt. He may even put an initial extra amount in himself. However I don't for a second believe that in the long run he will continue to put his own money into the club. In the future we will have no visibility of how much he is putting into or taking out of the club though so who knows.

Let me ask you this - Ashley has built his money with a "pile it high, sell it cheap" philosophy, and a permanent "closing down sale, everything must go" marketing strategy. What makes everyone so confident that with NUFC he will adopt a risky strategy of spending big on high quality players in the hope of large rewards (ie top end of the market) rather than spending just enough on decent players to maintain premiership status and occasionally getting into Europe (ie trying to be the best of the mid range market)? What makes you think he's going to be straight up and honest with us supporters when he treats his current customers as mugs?

thats what he done with soccer world etc but not his strategy at lillywhites and slazenger,karrimor etc.

he has shops which are aimed at a lower market and he knows how to sell in that market but you shouldn't try and make out this is his whole strategy as it isn't.

thats what he done with soccer world etc but not his strategy at lillywhites and slazenger,karrimor etc.

he has shops which are aimed at a lower market and he knows how to sell in that market but you shouldn't try and make out this is his whole strategy as it isn't.

Exactly, to presume he treats every business this way is ridiculous.

As for how he's going to run the club, nobody knows how he's going to do it at this point in time, I think it's unrealistic to expect him to continuously pile his own money into the club so I think he'll initially invest money on players with the aim of raising the profile of the club, the raised profile will hopefully lead to a larger income for the club which will eventually lead to it being self sufficient like Spurs have.

I'd be interested to see where you go the figure of £25 million from, I presume you're either counting the extra tv money that we won't even get until the end of the 2007/08 season or you're not taking into account the cost of running the club for the next 12 months, the fact is under the old board we continued to run up massive debts of over £80 million with no clue how we were going to pay it back, at least under Ashley I get the feeling that we've got people at the club who know how to deal with this problem, something that Shepherd never did.

You also say about qualifying for Europe now and again which is a fair comment but our average finish under Shepherd was 9th which wouldn't get us there, we've only automatically qualified for Europe 3 times in the past 10 years and that was when Sir Bobby was in charge, the other times have been through the back door (Intertoto, cup winners already qualified etc) so even with poor midtable finishes it can still be done.

As for how he's going to run the club, nobody knows how he's going to do it at this point in time, I think it's unrealistic to expect him to continuously pile his own money into the club so I think he'll initially invest money on players with the aim of raising the profile of the club, the raised profile will hopefully lead to a larger income for the club which will eventually lead to it being self sufficient like Spurs have.

Our Turnover is greater than that of "Spurs" - always has been in modern times, most of the time FAR greater!!

Our Turnover is greater than that of "Spurs" - always has been in modern times, most of the time FAR greater!!

I know that, but Spurs make more profit than us because they have less going out.

Us having a greater turnover means nothing when we're still losing money.

I know that, but Spurs make more profit than us because they have less going out.

They certainly don't have less outgoings then us this summer.  So where does that leave your argument?..

Erm, they certainly don't have less outgoings then us this summer..

I really don't think thats the point he's making though. He's talking about general day to day costs, turnover to wage ratio etc...Not layouts on transfer fees.

I really don't think thats the point he's making though. He's talking about general day to day costs, turnover to wage ratio etc...Not layouts on transfer fees.

Exactly, the money they have splashed out on transfers is mostly what they've made through profit anyway.

Ok, but what is the difference in wage bills now?  After we released lots of deadwood and they took on quite a bit.

Also the fact is if we'd been spending the small sums of money Spurs had been on transfer fee's (up until recently) we'd have been making very good profits, larger then that of Spurs.  We spent £50 million one season and made a loss that was a small fraction of that amount.

Exactly, the money they have splashed out on transfers is mostly what they've made through profit anyway.

Do we know if our debt has been written off by Ashley?

That alone should see us make up the deficit (not paying the loan fees, and getting the full whack from tickets) nevermind the extra cash from the TV deal.

Get a few more wasters off the wage bill and get back into Europe and we could have a profitable club like Spuds, only greater, bigger and better.  O0

Guest optimistic nit

Baggio was it you or macbeth who came up with the 80+million pounds of debt in a thread recently when given some raw data?

spurs made a 20million pound profit last year according to Jol. we made a big loss.

Quite honestly I have no idea about the details of how he runs those companies, perhaps you could point me in the direction of some details or expand on his strategy in those companies. That IS the philosophy behind how he made most of his money though. I do know that I bought a pair of karrimor walking shoes for about £18, (70% off !!!) in one of his shops that was closing down 6 months ago. It's still open and selling them at the same price BTW if you want me to get you a pair. It also stocks most of his other brands at knock down prices too.

Ok, but what is the difference in wage bills now?  After we released lots of deadwood and they took on quite a bit.  Also the fact is if we'd been spending the small sums of money Spurs had been on transfer fee's (up until recently) we'd have been making very good profits, larger then that of Spurs.

Don't consider what we spent or what they spent, its what we made to what we cost (same for spurs) that were talking about.

Their ability to spend is in direct link to what their turnover is, but thats the end result, we borrow to spend (or have done) and then owe more.

If its to be believed, Dyer & Owens wages alone pay for nearly 6 of Spurs best players wages. I don't believe it tbh, but its what they say.

Guest optimistic nit

That alone should see us make up the deficit (not paying the loan fees) nevermind the extra cash from the TV deal.

Get a few more wasters off the wage bill and get back into Europe and we could have a profitable club like Spuds, only greater, bigger and better.  O0

i doubt it. if the figure above is true he's not going to pay for that plus 50million in transfers. that would be 250million spend at the club in 2 months. he's only (only ha) got 1.9billion, that would be over 10% of his wealth.

i believe the quote is that he's "seeing to" the debt. i doubt he'll pay it personally, more over find ways to pay it back. We need to be turned into a business that makes a profit, we need the people who came here only because we payed them more (Duff, Emre and Owen) sold if that is not possible with them on their current wage.

Baggio was it you or macbeth who came up with the 80+million pounds of debt in a thread recently when given some raw data?

spurs made a 20million pound profit last year according to Jol. we made a big loss.

I got the £80 million debt from an article on the state of the club from the Chroncle towards the end of last season, if you search their site you should find it.

From what of remember of Spurs they made £500,000 profit but didn't include the Carrick deal, so yeah just under £20 million.

That alone should see us make up the deficit (not paying the loan fees) nevermind the extra cash from the TV deal.

i doubt it. if the figure above is true he's not going to pay for that plus 50million in transfers. that would be 250million spend at the club in 2 months. he's only (only ha) got 1.9billion, that would be over 10% of his wealth.

i believe the quote is that he's "seeing to" the debt. i doubt he'll pay it personally, more over find ways to pay it back. We need to be turned into a business that makes a profit, we need the people who came here only because we payed them more (Duff, Emre and Owen) sold if that is not possible with them on their current wage.

The club was only worth £133m because of its debt, scrap that and we'd be selling for £200m+.

Getting rid of the debt only allows us to grow, he'd be a fool not to get rid of it, and he'd be a fool to rack up some more.

Even if its a loan towards his own wealth, meaning we pay no interest and it stays until sold.

Guest Gemmill

I got the £80 million debt from an article on the state of the club from the Chroncle towards the end of last season, if you search their site you should find it.

From what of remember of Spurs they made £500,000 profit but didn't include the Carrick deal, so yeah just under £20 million.

Mistaking cash for profit here, ladies. :razz:  Don't make me have to give you all an accounting lesson.

people who came here only because we payed them more (Duff, Emre and Owen)

and all the rest of the playing staff came here for the love of the club ?...they are all here because we were the best they could get.

Guest optimistic nit

Mistaking cash for profit here, ladies. :razz:  Don't make me have to give you all an accounting lesson.

this can also be said in refference to teasy above btw i think.

Madras: i have no problem with players coming here for reasons other than because they love the club, but those 3 will be on massively inflated wages i think, 200grand for the three between them i would assume, which is too much.

Don't consider what we spent or what they spent, its what we made to what we cost (same for spurs) that were talking about.

So what is that then?  I think outside of transfer fee's our incomings vs outgoings will still be better then Spurs.  Anyone have the facts on this?

Their ability to spend is in direct link to what their turnover is, but thats the end result, we borrow to spend (or have done) and then owe more.

Yes and we could have linked our spending directly to our turnover and still spent significantly more then Spurs..  Am I misunderstanding the point here or something?  Was Baggio's point supposed to be:

"If we want to continue to spend relatively the same amount of money we have done over the last 10 years then we need to increase our income so we'll be spending within our own turnover like Spurs"..  If so yes I agree.