No Galacticos but good solid defenders needed - Big Sam

Guest sicko2ndbest

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premiership/newcastle/article2087658.ece

Newcastle claim they are victims not perpetrators in corruption inquiry

Jason Mellor

Newcastle United last night insisted they had been the victims, rather than the perpetrators, of any alleged wrongdoing after yesterday’s early-morning raid by the City of London Police.

A team of officers from the Economic Crime Unit executed search warrants at the club’s St James’ Park home shortly after 7.30am, as bemused staff arrived at work to discover items being taken away for examination during the visit, which lasted more than an hour.

Talk of the wholesale removal of computers and of the sealing-off of an entire floor of offices was described by sources as exaggerated, as the club attempted to minimise the disruption to its preparations for the new season.

The morning’s events rather overshadowed a press conference attended by Sam Allardyce, the manager, and Joey Barton, the midfield player, which had been called shortly before news broke of events at the 52,000-seat stadium, which coordinated with similar raids at Rangers and Portsmouth, and at the homes of two individuals in connection with alleged corruption in the game.

Allardyce and Barton, both relaxed and talkative, spoke at the club’s Benton training headquarters to discuss Newcastle’s first preseason game under the new manager, tonight’s short trip to their North East neighbours, Hartlepool United.

Reporters were warned that questions on any non-footballing matters were strictly off-limits, before a statement was handed out. A spokesman said: “We can confirm that the club was visited this morning by the City of London Police. The club itself is not the subject of the investigation. If theinvestigation by the City of London Police or the ongoing internal review of operations by the club’s new owners show that the club has been the victim of any criminal activity, the club will take appropriate action.”

The raids come against the back-drop of the Quest inquiry into allegations of football corruption led by Lord Stevens of Kirkwhelpington. Quest claimed last month that there were inconsistencies in evidence outlining their roles in transfer negotiations provided by Graeme Souness, the former Newcastle manager, and Kenny Shepherd, the son of Freddy Shepherd, the chairman, whose exact role at the club appeared unclear, and who has since severed his ties after the arrival of Mike Ashley, the new owner, this year.

Allardyce admitted the hiatus caused by the sports magnate’s £134 million takeover has hindered his transfer dealings, which have stalled after the arrival of Barton, Gérémi, Mark Viduka and David Rozehnal.

“We were off to a sprint start,” said Allardyce. “But we’ve slipped into a bit of a marathon and at the moment and we’re only jogging, so others are catching us up and overtaking us. You could move relatively comfortably in the transfer market before everyone got back into training, but targets are being nailed by the day now.

“The difficulty for me is that we’ve had a complete change at the club and they [the new owners] don’t quite understand yet that if you don’t move quickly you can be lost. That’s a frustration for me but an understandable one from their point of view because they need to know what’s happening.”

Fairly damning public statement of new owners really. No wonder Allardyce looked tired, he's probably frustrated as fuck and todays events will hardly have helped matters.

Or maybe they will polarise the urgency to put things right?

Just seems like he is a bit in the dark, compounded by the fact he said a couple of days ago he is yet to really meet Ashley, although has talked to Mort.

Obviously Ashley might want to make a big trophy signing, seeing as he isnt getting much luck elsewhere I guess he just wants to make it known Defenders are the priority FIRST.

A little worrying, but like Big Sam says, understandable given their inexperience to these surroundings. Understandable, but as time continues maybe not acceptable.

Lots of people reading far too much into this imo. I'm still confident Allardyce and the new owners will deliver before the season starts.

They arent in any way inept, they just have alot of work to do, with a lack of experience in this Industry, Fat Fred not being at his fittest, probably hasnt helped, even if his input was where the best Greggs is.

I think allardyce is spot on about the galacticos thing. We do need solid defenders before anything. Seems to me he's keen to make us a tight unit and build from there.

I was right behind allardyce being appointed and am over the moon now he has. Even though he has just signed four it could feel like we have a few more new signings as I believe as well as signing players he will get the most out of what we have and I think that means seeing likes of emre,nzogbia,duff,dyer and martins really showing what they have got. He seems to have set about creating a great team spirit and the one thing we have never been is a team that sticks together but he seems to have gone about it the right way. He has brought in very good solid players already that have improved us in areas we needed.

He had them away building bonds and getting fitness up in austria where all the players seemed happy. He has sat down with owen and martins and nzogbia to try and iron out all the issues there and convince them this is for them and I feel that our team will be one of the fittest in the league this year due to his conditioning of the players.

All in all roeder was conference in his methods and allardyce just has his head screwed on. he looked and knew straight away where we needed strengthining and went out and started. Even though he did not have much cash at first he still said I will find the players and that just proves how resourceful he really is.

I have never felt as optimistic about one season since keegan was here and thats because I think I will see players giving 100% or being hauled off the pitch and that is great

Lots of people reading far too much into this imo. I'm still confident Allardyce and the new owners will deliver before the season starts.

I felt the opposite, that too many people were not attaching enough significance to certain statements.

“The difficulty for me is that we’ve had a complete change at the club and they [the new owners] don’t quite understand yet that if you don’t move quickly you can be lost.

Does that sound to you like the sound of a well-oiled machine?

I have high hopes the situation can be quickly resolved following these statements but todays events may have hindered that process. Or accelerated it. We will see.

Sorry for this question that i have, a little bit off topic. But have we signed any backroom staff from bolton yet? Like Forde and those guys? I dont know how many hours every day i have spent on the internet readin about everything related to NUFC. But i have not read anywhere that we have signed any staff from Sams old club.

cheers

Yep, Allardyce even admits himself he understands the reasons from the new owner's point of view. We'll sign at the very minimum one quality centre-back and a quality left-back.

Sorry for this question that i have, a little bit off topic. But have we signed any backroom staff from bolton yet? Like Forde and those guys? I dont know how many hours every day i have spent on the internet readin about everything related to NUFC. But i have not read anywhere that we have signed any staff from Sams old club.

cheers

Not that I know of, just Round so far, although I dont even remember reading anything official about that either, just we were interested in him.

cheers

Not that I know of, just Round so far, although I dont even remember reading anything official about that either, just we were interested in him.

He was in Austria with us.

Yep, Allardyce even admits himself he understands the reasons from the new owner's point of view. We'll sign at the very minimum one quality centre-back and a quality left-back.

At the same time saying they don't understand, hardly a resonant statement of unity.

I'm not a pessimist by nature, indeed it's the opposite. I hope this is resolved quickly but that statement speaks volumes regarding a disharmony of objectives at the current time.

Could that be Allardyce trying to get his point across without wanting to start a war of words with the new owners?

I still think we'll get players in, It's just frustrating that it isn't going as well as I'd hoped and I just don't want us to be in the same position as we were last summer with big holes at the back when the window closes.

Babayao is not a lost cause yet, nor Carr. I know it seems doubtful he can turn them around but it is possible. Perhaps.

If he wants 4 top defenders, then its going to be 2 LB's, 1 CB & 1 RB.

Good fuking bye Carr & Babayaro.

Guest Knightrider

I'm liking the impatience, the honesty and the realism, I'm also liking his confidence and authority. You could never imagine Roeder speaking so bluntly like SA has done today. However like Dave, I think people are reading into things too much. His priorities are spot on too. I honestly don't think he's put a foot wrong since he joined us. All managers speak crap to the media and often contradict themselves, but Sam been bang on the button thus far. The new owner/management have also been pretty much spot on, their priorities are right too. But there needs to be a compromise in between and things behind the scenes will have to take a backseat to funding for a moment or two.

Could that be Allardyce trying to get his point across without wanting to start a war of words with the new owners?

I still think we'll get players in, It's just frustrating that it isn't going as well as I'd hoped and I just don't want us to be in the same position as we were last summer with big holes at the back when the window closes.

We need to make some serious moves on the fullback positions quickly.

There is plenty of talent for the LB slot, and i hope we walk away with two of them, even if it costs £10m for the pair.

RB is harder to nail down, but there are £5m options all over Europe and i'd be happy with one of them and Geremi.

Another top class CB is needed. I think Rozy should be 3rd choice, and also backup in mid as well. Taylor looks nailed on to be captain, so i guess he's 1st choice, the two lads from Palermo would be a good start, and two of Heinze, Bridge, Twaio, Baines or Shorey would just be magnificent right now, and not out of reach either. Thats about £25m imo, (2LBs, 1CB & 1RB) and a net spending of less then £30m when we already had £15m (apparently) to spend. Im sure Ashley can afford it, we do that and we are a force next season, and for seasons to come.

Anything less than that and we going to have a ropy season of transition, and pressure on SA to have immediate effect might be too much for him (not in terms of mental pressure but in terms of expectation, and not mainly from the fans, but board)

Babayao is not a lost cause yet, nor Carr. I know it seems doubtful he can turn them around but it is possible. Perhaps.

What is this madness you speak sir?

Just some decent competition and coaching will see better players of the both of them imo.

Dont think we need to be too bothered at the moment with the board situation, its going to be frantic, always is when new business's take over old ones. Talking to Sam a bit more is a kinda biggy on the list but things will soon settle.

I'm liking the impatience, the honesty and the realism, I'm also liking his confidence and authority. You could never imagine Roeder speaking so bluntly like SA has done today. However like Dave, I think people are reading into things too much. His priorities are spot on too. I honestly don't think he's put a foot wrong since he joined us. All managers speak crap to the media and often contradict themselves, but Sam been bang on the button thus far. The new owner/management have also been pretty much spot on, their priorities are right too. But there needs to be a compromise in between and things behind the scenes will have to take a backseat to funding for a moment or two.

got to disagree a bit,that sort of thing should be sorted out within the club,using the press like that is a strange game that rarely works and makes no-one look good.

Guest Guinness

Im sure owen mentioned it in his column this week that the bolton staff had been brought in and stuff

Yep I'm pretty sure he was praising the difference they've made so it looks as if they're in but the club hasn't announced it yet. With the way Allardyce has been talking about transfers I'm pretty sure we'd know if his recruitment of backroom staff hadn'd gone well. Especially seeing after stating the importance in his first press conference.

What is this madness you speak sir?

Just some decent competition and coaching will see better players of the both of them imo.

Dont think we need to be too bothered at the moment with the board situation, its going to be frantic, always is when new business's take over old ones. Talking to Sam a bit more is a kinda biggy on the list but things will soon settle.

They've had their chance, their time is up. The fans do not like these two, and both need removing with immediate effect. I hope the only reason they are still here is that SA hasn't go round to signing their replacements...yet.

Guest Knightrider
It's just frustrating that it isn't going as well as I'd hoped and I just don't want us to be in the same position as we were last summer with big holes at the back when the window closes.

I personally think things have went really well, I'm expecting a pinch in the arm every day, that's how well things seem like they are going. Remember, a lot is going on behind the scenes and a lot needs done. As the manager said we've flew out of the traps and there is still plenty of time, he was only saying the other week a few deals are on the go. Anyway I'd put Sam's comments down to frustration at missing out on some of his targets more than anything else, despite his comments about the board.

I can't remember a more positive close-season at the club since KK's days, on and off the pitch. I'm delighted with the signings we've completed, happy with most of the players we're being linked with/going after and can already see, with any luck, things being much better next season. Owen playing and scoring goals alone will be a massive boost. And we haven't even factored in the manager's impact. He'll make us very tough to beat home and away and have us organised and tactically clued up. Again, those are all plus points and looking at things last season as a comparison, if this was a bet, we're well up or in credit.

In my view we'll sign a max of 3 players, a LB, a midfielder and a CB, all of good standard ready to go straight into the first team. If Sam gets his own way, maybe we'll get 4 or 5.