Fraser Forster

Guest Alan Shearer 9

Guest BooBoo

I just hope this is all coming from the same source and it's bollocks. On Saturday Hughton seemed adamant that Harper was staying when interviewed on SSN. He's going to look a right knob if Ashley goes over his head and insists on the sale.

Guest toonlass

He's a loyal servant who's always done his job when called upon, that's more than most footballers. But he's not a 'legend' or anything like that.

Why do people keep rolling out the "servant to the club" line. He is a bloody well paid servant, plucked from the jaws of obscurity at Seaham Red Star and paid well for warming the bench of Newcastle United for a long time. Can't see it doing any harm to let him go, if it means our younger keepers are developed and look like they can get a chance between the sticks in the near future.

Guest toonlass

I agree to an extent Blef but it's a shitty way to boot someone out if this is true.

Indeed it is. But tbh career wise he should have left years ago.

I just hope this is all coming from the same source and it's bollocks. On Saturday Hughton seemed adamant that Harper was staying when interviewed on SSN. He's going to look a right knob if Ashley goes over his head and insists on the sale.

Might have been a rouse to try and bump the anticipated offer up. 'Too good to turn down' and all that shite.

Though I agree it seems likely he's simply been overruled and told the goalkeepers we have should be adequate.

Guest neesy111

Not all that bothered, harper is a very average keeper who was very poor at the backend of last season.

He's one of our highest earners as well,

Time to look at the future, krul has been sitting on the bench for almost 5 years now, he deserves his chance

Not all that bothered, harper is a very average keeper who was very poor at the backend of last season.

Time to look at the future, krul has been sitting on the bench for almost 5 years now, he deserves his chance

Very poor. :lol:

Guest neesy111

Very poor. :lol:

he made some awful errors, the bristol city one comes to mind.

Guest BooBoo

He wasn't poor but the notion that Harper had a great season was equally far fetched. He performed fairly well in the second tier behind the leagues strongest defence.

Tbh, the keepers we have are probably adequate, still if true its a shit way to treat a player.

Should be up to the manager to decide that though.

Might well have been up to the manager, particularly if we're getting in James (a better goalkeeper). :dontknow:

Hope so, I imagine he'd cost more in wages?

Tbh, the keepers we have are probably adequate, still if true its a shit way to treat a player.

Should be up to the manager to decide that though.

Might well have been up to the manager, particularly if we're getting in James (a better goalkeeper). :dontknow:

Hope so, I imagine he'd cost more in wages?

:thup:

Offset in part by getting a reasonable fee for Harper hopefully.

James & Campbell's signing-on fee/wages for the money saved on Harper's bonus, wages and fee received = excellent business imo.

I know James only has another season, two at tops in him, but he's less likely to hang around for too long meaning less chance of hindering the progress of the other two. If Harper stayed I just had this awful feeling he'd still be number 1 at 38-39, with Krul & Forster at other clubs due to being frustrated at the lack of a first-team opportunity.

I like Harper but James is CLEARLY the better keeper. There isn't a debate.

:thup: Too many focussing on the David James of the past. He's a very very good goalkeeper.