Emre must go.

Parky

Guest Knightrider

I've been thinking about Emre for a while now.

There is no doubting he's a very good little player with all the trappings to succeed here given his technique, spirit and work-rate, but it hasn't quite worked out and while fitness issues and playing under two incompetent managers has no doubt played a big part in that, not to mention playing in a struggling side and alongside a player who didn't best suit him (and vice versa), I think the style of the Premiership doesn't suit his own game, more than anything.

His best position in my opinion is playing deep just in front of the back-four where he will have less pressure on him and be in more space to work the ball, a role he played at Inter and for Turkey. However, he isn't disciplined enough at Newcastle as he'll often leave his position on little sorties up field which leaves big holes in and behind him. Furthermore he's too rash in advanced positions, over plays it and his shooting is poor. In short he's no box to box midfielder and needs to be more disciplined and stick to the role he clearly enjoys, picking the ball up from the back and spraying it about. Getting involved that way. In short he tries to be the everyman at Newcastle, for some reason.

Playing such a player in such a role brings with it further problems too, problems like leaving the central midfield ahead of him short in numbers which can be exploited by the opposition who could overpower that area by way of numbers. Also playing a deep lying playmaker in the Premiership can see a team's shape be broken down quite easily - all the opposition would have to do is put a man on Emre and therefore cut off the supply to midfield and attack. Because Emre's out of the game, the back-four don't have an outlet and revert to hoofing it up field, bypassing the midfield, or someone from midfield seeing Emre marked takes over the mantle and picks the ball up from the back, which will leave us short in midfield and take away one less man from attack.

In Serie A for Inter he could excell as the deep lying playmaker, not only did he have vast quality ahead of him which reduced his need to get involved further up the field, but the tempo wasn't as quick and the pressing not as forthcoming as it is in the Premiership.

(one of the reasons why I think Deco may struggle in our league)

In our league though you don't get that space, time and freedom.

We could play him as a simple central midfielder, but for my money he doesn't offer much in that role due to his poor shooting, overplay and rashness.

So Emre provides a bit of a conundrum.

All is not lost though, we can use him as a deep lying playmaker which I must confess, would be a step forward in terms of football for us, but we'd need to surround him with a powerhouse in midfield who can tackle and a box to box player to stretch teams, or rather to take away a marker from Emre.

That's how AC Milan work it, by having Gattusso be the everyman, with Pirlo sitting and Kaka the AM or the box to box man (a crude definition, as he's far more than that).

We don't have those players though.

On the topic subject, we can't sell him as we are too short in numbers and he's one of our better players and I still hold some hope that Allardyce can get the best out of him, it will be interesting to see how he gets used that's for certain.

I am really surprised that some of you want Emre out. He might not have performed extraordinarily well alst season but who has? He might be the only one with a magic touch (apart from Nobby perhaps) in the middle of the park. Definetely one of Europe's finest midfield maestros!

What has he done in the last 8 years to warrant such praise?

Well, you might be right but playing for Galatasaray, Inter and now us ain't that bad...

He hardly got a game at Inter man...

*Parky skulks off to check stats*

There is no doubting he's a very good little player with all the trappings to succeed here given his technique, spirit and work-rate, but it hasn't quite worked out and while fitness issues and playing under two incompetent managers has no doubt played a big part in that, not to mention playing in a struggling side and alongside a player who didn't best suit him (and vice versa), I think the style of the Premiership doesn't suit his own game, more than anything.

His best position in my opinion is playing deep just in front of the back-four where he will have less pressure on him and be in more space to work the ball, a role he played at Inter and for Turkey. However, he isn't disciplined enough at Newcastle as he'll often leave his position on little sorties up field which leaves big holes in and behind him. Furthermore he's too rash in advanced positions, over plays it and his shooting is poor. In short he's no box to box midfielder and needs to be more disciplined and stick to the role he clearly enjoys, picking the ball up from the back and spraying it about. Getting involved that way. In short he tries to be the everyman at Newcastle, for some reason.

Playing such a player in such a role brings with it further problems too, problems like leaving the central midfield ahead of him short in numbers which can be exploited by the opposition who could overpower that area by way of numbers. Also playing a deep lying playmaker in the Premiership can see a team's shape be broken down quite easily - all the opposition would have to do is put a man on Emre and therefore cut off the supply to midfield and attack. Because Emre's out of the game, the back-four don't have an outlet and revert to hoofing it up field, bypassing the midfield, or someone from midfield seeing Emre marked takes over the mantle and picks the ball up from the back, which will leave us short in midfield and take away one less man from attack.

In Serie A for Inter he could excell as the deep lying playmaker, not only did he have vast quality ahead of him which reduced his need to get involved further up the field, but the tempo wasn't as quick and the pressing not as forthcoming as it is in the Premiership.

We could play him as a simple central midfielder, but for my money he doesn't offer much in that role due to his poor shooting, overplay and rashness.

All is not lost though, we can use him as a deep lying playmaker which I must confess, would be a step forward in terms of football for us, but we'd need to surround him with a powerhouse in midfield who can tackle and a box to box player to stretch teams, or rather to take away a marker from Emre.

That's how AC Milan work it, by having Gattusso be the everyman, with Pirlo sitting and Kaka the AM or the box to box man (a crude definition, as he's far more than that).

On the topic subject, we can't sell him as we are too short in numbers and he's one of our better players and I still hold some hope that Allardyce can get the best out of him, it will be interesting to see how he gets used that's for certain.

Don't you think he could perform in a midfield three with Barton and Butt alongside then? Butt to sweep up behind, Barton the box-to-box and Emre pulling the strings? I thought he was excellent when we lined up 4-3-3 against Arsenal and Man Utd, really looked at home in that formation and at times looked the best player on the park.

If we bought in another top CM first then I would have no problem with selling Emre but WE MUST buy in before we sell!!!

Do you really believe we're not going to buy another 4/5 players?

I believe that Sam wants at least another 4 -5 players, but I also believe that it does not matter what he wants, what matters is what he gets and until he gets what he wants Emre should be kept!!

Don't you think he could perform in a midfield three with Barton and Butt alongside then? Butt to sweep up behind, Barton the box-to-box and Emre pulling the strings? I thought he was excellent when we lined up 4-3-3 against Arsenal and Man Utd, really looked at home in that formation and at times looked the best player on the park.

¨

Thats got to be our first choice mid-3.

If someone had come in with a £7m bid for him in June, I'd have sold him without too many regrets. However, it's now the back end of July and it's cutting it fine to get the players in we needed 6 weeks ago without adding a CM to the shopping list.

I agree that those three together in midfield would work well, my concern would be how we'd fit the strikers together.

That presents another problem, because Owen is totally wasted out wide. Martins may or may not work out there. Another option would be to drop Owen and Martins for wingers - but try telling those two that they're no longer first teamers.

Guest Knightrider

Replace Butt with someone like Appiah, then I think he could, he would have to be ultra disciplined though and stick to that deep lying role.

Having said that, Campo lined up for Bolton in a similar role, but he didn't have Emre's drive and spirit to get involved, that needs curbed. Do that, line him up with a powerhouse DCM and we could be cooking.

I agree that those three together in midfield would work well, my concern would be how we'd fit the strikers together.

Owen fits together with papier maché and safety pins. Viduka uses a combination of rendered kangaroo bones and vegamite.

Owen fits together with papier maché and safety pins. Viduka uses a combination of rendered kangaroo bones and vegamite.

:lol:

Guest Knightrider

BTW a midfield of Butt, Barton and Emre = distinct lack of height, pace and athleticism. Would prefer a real powerhouse in there, someone like Appiah.

I always thought we'd be starting next season with Butt, Barton Emre as the midfield three, except for a brief spell of Deco induced hallucinations. For me I think it works well, providing for plenty of drive and variation. Only slight worry is that none of them can pull out wide and do a natural job as a winger which just denies us an option to stretch the play. If the full backs get their act together that helps.

BTW a midfield of Butt, Barton and Emre = distinct lack of height, pace and athleticism. Would prefer a real powerhouse in there, someone like Appiah.

I don't think that Barton particularly lacks in pace or athleticism. He's not the quickest around but he's got fine pace for a cm if I remember rightly.

pace and athleticism ?...........did you miss last season when emre got further forward than box to box parker and got further back than box to box parker.agreed about no startling pace but which centralmidfielders have ?

If we bought in another top CM first then I would have no problem with selling Emre but WE MUST buy in before we sell!!!

Do you really beleive we're not going to buy another 4/5 players?

Do you?

You don't even need a "powerhouse" in midfield for the majority of games, bolton often played with speed and campo with nolan in front, they only needed faye for the harder matches, a trio of barton, emre and baptista would be excellent imo.

Guest Alex20

Sam seems to like a team full of hard workers with one or two players given the creative licence. It may well be that Emre would be one of those players, and it's a role he could revel in. You can see he wants to be the playmaker, yet Souness had this mad idea which he said to the press that he was a defensive midfielder and asked Parker to push up.

Parker and Emre never worked together, but Emre and Butt produced our best football. Allardyce's first move was to sell Parker and he's already come out and said he likes Emre.

I must have missed that article, got a link by any chance ? Would be appreciated.

Btw I agree on every thing you mentioned.

Since when did central midfielders have to be exceptionally quick?

Barton is more than quick enough for a central midfielder, and Emre can be explosive.

Barton Butt and Emre is easily our best midfield combination at the moment.

Why does everyone keep talking about playing a 4-3-3?

4-4-2 is how Sam will play it with Milner and Zoggy as our wide 2 and seeing as Barton is injured it will probably be Butt + Dyer in the middle.

Front 2 of Owen and Viduka or Owen and Martins.

Emre is a back up CM along with Butt when Barton is back.

Guest Knightrider

You don't even need a "powerhouse" in midfield for the majority of games, bolton often played with speed and campo with nolan in front, they only needed faye for the harder matches, a trio of barton, emre and baptista would be excellent imo.

Nolan was the powerhouse, or meant to be.

Guest firetotheworks

God, there really is very little happening at the moment. Id keep Emre, too early to make too many changes I think. maybe next season. 

Guest Knightrider

pace and athleticism ?...........did you miss last season when emre got further forward than box to box parker and got further back than box to box parker.agreed about no startling pace but which centralmidfielders have ?

That says more about his indiscipline to the role and his work-rate than anything. I still believe we need one of those players who can do it all, a poor man's Gerrard or Essien - a powerhouse. Barton may be considered to play that role, he certainly puts a shift in, but so did Parker and we need to move away from that. No good Barton being the everyman if there is no purpose to it, i.e. shooting from left to right to press because he has tons of energy. Again, that's what Parker did but that left holes. Indeed, Emre does the same.

That says more about his indiscipline to the role and his work-rate than anything. I still believe we need one of those players who can do it all, a poor man's Gerrard or Essien - a powerhouse. Barton may be considered to play that role, he certainly puts a shift in, but so did Parker and we need to move away from that. No good Barton being the everyman if there is no purpose to it, i.e. shooting from left to right to press because he has tons of energy. Again, that's what Parker did but that left holes. Indeed, Emre does the same.

thats more more about his willingness to dig in and work when others won't......did you slag shearer off for coming back at times when he felt it was needed ?