No Ashley transfer funds! Yet!

Guest Brazilianbob

Guest Milburnthedog

Seems to me that we could be playing quite a cute game here. Other clubs know we've a billionaire etc and that the fans are expecting big signings. So, they play/slow the whole thing down, rumours spread that we have a lot less than people think we have so the prices aren't massively inflated when we go for who we want. Perhaps....

I thought the £40 million figure was made up, and I think the same about £10 million.

I wouldn't say there's a lot of action anywhere in the transfer market at the moment. It's that stage when a number of players will be coming back, hoping to fight for a place in the first team. In a few weeks' time, it'll be apparent who's in the manager's favour, and who isn't. Either that, or they'll want to bide their time to see what clubs are interested in them. The likes of Smith, Fletcher, Silvestre might well want to consider a move then.

The Sunday Sun are also running the same story as the People.

This is now heading towards something akin to meltdown & a PR disaster from MA's team.

To be honest neither The People or The Sunday Sun are the most reliable of papers.

It was only a week or two ago that we were bidding for Ronaldinho, Deco, E'to and god knows who else.

That turned out to be bull$hit, and so will this.

Guest BooBoo

Its hardly going to get the Ashley/Mort team on a good footing with the supporters if they refuse to stump up for players we so blatantly need. It will only serve to hack off Allardyce, who it seems already has a rather distant relationship with the board room.

Its annoying at the moment as the optimism of early June seems to have been replaced with trepidation. If we dont get at least two defenders in and have to resort to playing the likes of Ramage and Huntington on a regular basis, then we can kiss goodbye to any real chance of making the UEFA Cup- which should be our realistic target for the coming campaign.

>:(

Guest SwissMagpie

If we are talking about the People.they linked us with Bouba Diop from Fulham for 3m and Abdoulaye Faye from Bolton

Guest firetotheworks

From Newcastle Blog

'So Mort has already said new signings are necessary before the season starts.  We have to believe this story is made up to sell Sunday papers.

However, what we do now want to hear is a denial for Chris Mort and that there is sufficient money in the transfer kitty to bring in the class of player Sam Allardyce wants and needs. This acknowledgement  must be made very quickly by our new board to clear up this confusion.'

http://nufcblog.com/newcastle-transfer-kitty-only-10m-we-dont-believe-it/

Does anyone get tired of their patta clogging up newsnow? They'll do an article on owt. 'However we do now want to hear is a denial for Chris Mort...'. Use your b****** common sense man!

You're just taking a snipe at one comment in an otherwise very sensible article. The `Mort-Ashley needs to come out more´ debate has been going on around here as well, and I would argue that it is the silence and the apparent lack of action that allows for the sort of Sunday newspaper article speculation above.

So, what does your common sense tell you at the moment firetotheworks? Is everything honkey dorey at SJP, or is there reason for worry?

What I meant by common sense is that Mort has already said that funds are available “Sam and I feel more signings will be required before we are ready for the new season, particularly to strengthen our defense.”

and that the article was in the Sunday People. A paper with no credibility. Yet theyre asking for Mort to speak out about this story in particular. The whole Ashley not speaking out thing pleases me to be honest. I like us not coming out with outlandish 'pleasantly surprised' quotes that were one of the reasons I detested Shepherd. Its really frustrating at the moment with the lack of signings or leads on signings. but I'd rather nothing than a load of made up stories about us signing Ronaldinho etc. I have the feeling were playing it low key, for a billionaire to be in the limelight then every club will be constantly reminded that we have stupid amounts of money, and subsequently we'll get held to ransom. This way we have more dignity and might not be held to ransom as much by not releasing the amount of money we have to spend. Thats my take on it anyway.

Guest Phil K

I know it's been said in other threads, but that was last week or the week before.

tbf, it's been nearly every other thread and every other post for the past few days

That's what happens when it's the ONLY talking point.

And it is.

Therefore its quite right it should be "every other thread"

Besides if you look down the subjects, I can't see ANY - let alone every other thread.

Its hardly going to get the Ashley/Mort team on a good footing with the supporters if they refuse to stump up for players we so blatantly need. It will only serve to hack off Allardyce, who it seems already has a rather distant relationship with the board room.

Its annoying at the moment as the optimism of early June seems to have been replaced with trepidation. If we dont get at least two defenders in and have to resort to playing the likes of Ramage and Huntington on a regular basis, then we can kiss goodbye to any real chance of making the UEFA Cup- which should be our realistic target for the coming campaign.

>:(

but but but ........ anyone but Fred !!

Guest Guinness

In the programme today Geremi says that Allardyce telling him about the ambition of the new owners played a big part in him signing for us. Could indicate Sam knows more than he's letting on with regards to what's available to him and what the ambitions of Mike Ashley and co are. Going by his recent comments I can't tell whether he's remaining coy when discussing transfers because he's genuinely concerned by the way things are being conducted or because he doesn't want to let anything slip in the media. Here's hoping it's the latter.

Guest Invicta_Toon

In the programme today Geremi says that Allardyce telling him about the ambition of the new owners played a big part in him signing for us. Could indicate Sam knows more than he's letting on with regards to what's available to him and what the ambitions of Mike Ashley and co are. Going by his recent comments I can't tell whether he's remaining coy when discussing transfers because he's genuinely concerned by the way things are being conducted or because he doesn't want to let anything slip in the media. Here's hoping it's the latter.

you think Sam's being coy? I'd hate to read a full and frank interview if that was the case. He's pretty much said he's fucked right now already

Possibly.

But actions speak louder than words.

At the moment, we haven't really backed him very much, he appears to be unhappy about it, and there are a canny few people trotting out excuses for them.

If this were the old board, they would be getting hammered.

Possibly.

At the moment, we haven't really backed him very much, he appears to be unhappy about it, and there are a canny few people trotting out excuses for them.

People are still optimistic. We're not at the end of the first few months yet, who knows what they will end up spending? It's not excuses, it's hope.

With the old board they were pessimistic and expected to be let down based on whatever perceived previous failings they had seen.

Possibly.

People are still optimistic. We're not at the end of the first few months yet, who knows what they will end up spending? It's not excuses, it's hope.

With the old board they were pessimistic and expected to be let down based on whatever perceived previous failings they had seen.

I understand people are optimistic, I am. But basically, I think their judgement of the old board was flawed because they allowed personalities and hype to hinder it. And their expectations of replacements also flawed accordingly.

I don't think too many people felt badly let down for the first 12 years of the 15 years the old board ran the club.

People forget that we only need to spend another £6 million net to better what we spent last year.

Maybe Mort and Ashley are just thick. Allardyce has been dropping these hints about funds/players all over the press, and they've been getting progressively more obvious. He's just needs to come out in The Sun and say 'Mort: get me Gudjohnsen and Heinze, thank you'. Pussyfooting motherfucker.

Maybe Mort and Ashley are just thick. Allardyce has been dropping these hints about funds/players all over the press, and they've been getting progressively more obvious. He's just needs to come out in The Sun and say 'Mort: get me Gudjohnsen and Heinze, thank you'. Pussyfooting motherfucker.

Gudj has a semi-serious knee injury.

Smokescreen, innit?

Smokescreen, innit?

Deco was the smokescreen apparently....But who knows..

Guest Gemmill

I thought the £40 million figure was made up, and I think the same about £10 million.

The thisness.

The thisness.

....what do people expect for us to say we have loads of cash charge what you like?

Guest Gemmill

The thisness.

....what do people expect for us to say we have loads of cash charge what you like?

"The Sunday Sun understands..." is how the article goes anyway.  When did the Sunday Sun understand anything?