Sam wants to see the real Luque

Newcastle Fan

Guest Gemmill

He looks the sort of player who would get you a number of goals through the season but when he isn't scoring he isnt really doing anything.

That's a spot on description of Michael Owen, tbf.

When Luque is anonymous he can still pull a set piece out of the hat.  Good free kick and corner taker.

There is a world of difference between Michael Owen "not really doing anything" and Albert Luque "not really doing anything".

"It's up to him whether he wants to continue through the pain barrier, as he has been doing in the past few weeks.

"When he is fit it will help his mental state and the football talent will emerge."

That bit is a bit weird to me! Is Luque still slightly injured then or what? Because it did kind of look that way at times.

on Newcastle world. big sam is saying Luque needs to push himself to exhaustion and beyond exhaustion, he says its really painful the most painful thing ever and Luque needs to keep going and pushing himself to the barrier

Even if he gets back to close to his best where does he play? He isn't quick or tricky enough for a winger and Owen, Martins etc will be ahead of him in the pecking order for striking roles.

He looks the sort of player who would get you a number of goals through the season but when he isn't scoring he isnt really doing anything.

When Luque is anonymous he can still pull a set piece out of the hat.  Good free kick and corner taker.

There is a world of difference between Michael Owen "not really doing anything" and Albert Luque "not really doing anything".

Owen is English and Luque is Spanish?

I know what you mean really, just stirring :razz:

Guest DazzaNufc1892

the class was proven in the fulham game he got injured in. That ball for shearer from out wide, behind the defence, low on the ground, perfection, great vision and execution

Guest khyberpass

One pass? :lol:

A certain Mr Beckham has done reasonably well on the back of "one pass"; "one free kick"...., etc!

We need a player who has awareness of gaps in the field, and the capability to run into them, or pass a ball into them....thought emre would provide, but he has struggled a bit...Luque may provide it.....the bursts of class we have seen suggest that he could play the floating 3rd front man...he keeps fit, and I'd put money on him scoring 12 goals +, with a similar amount of assists!

Guest Guinness

Forgive me for being sceptical but we've heard all of this before. If Sam does somehow manage to rekindle Luque in any way shape or form then he'll deserve a lot of credit. I'd love nothing more than for him to show his Deportivo form, but he's looked nothing like doing it in the last couple of seasons. Having said that the man management skills of Roeder and Souness can't have helped.

Guest ChickenKiev

Fair point. I don't think I've ever seen owen have a cracking game. But he scores loads. Fine by me. That's his job. If Luque can do the same why do we expect more from him? We don't from owen.

Guest Gemmill

One pass? :lol:

A certain Mr Beckham has done reasonably well on the back of "one pass"; "one free kick"...., etc!

:lol: :lol: :lol:  A couple of goals in a pre-season friendly and the Luque fans are running through the full repertoire.  Keep them coming lads. :razz:

Guest Gemmill

Fair point. I don't think I've ever seen owen have a cracking game. But he scores loads. Fine by me. That's his job. If Luque can do the same why do we expect more from him? We don't from owen.

:lol: :lol: :lol:  Aaaaahahahahaaaaa.  Maradona next please.  Can anyone do a post like this that compares him to Maradona?  Please.

:lol: :lol: :lol:  Aaaaahahahahaaaaa.  Maradona next please.  Can anyone do a post like this that compares him to Maradona?  Please.

You shouldn't joke - I was watching a video of the 1986 world cup match against England and, apart from that lucky run around a few leaden-foted englishman such as Terry Butcher and Peter Reid, plus punching the ball into our goal, Maradona did very little.

Luque's performance last night can therefore be compared to Maradona's in the '86 world cup

Guest ChickenKiev

What's that got to do with anything? Are you comparing Owen with Maradona? Because I'm not. I'm comparing Luque play with Owen's. Saying they are quite similar. People are far too harsh when judging Luque....even when he scores 2 goals for goodness sake. Pathetic!

Guest ChickenKiev

No problem - anyone for a Stephen Carr v Cafu post?

:) You remind me of my 7 year old nephew!

Guest Ridzuan

Sam has already seen what the real Luque can do and he will be seeing more if he gives Luque the opportunity to play more regularly.

Guest Knightrider

Luque did lose the ball a few times and failed to get it back, but he also won it a few times and impressed in the air and with his back to goal once or twice I thought, which was surprising - he's quite decent up top. His game isn't there yet, i.e. in general play he's doing nothing eye catching or anything remotely close to the player he was in Spain, but the effort and commitment was there. He made some very good runs too and stretched their defence, switching from left to right and then playing through the middle. Believe me, his performance although poor in general, was a lot better than what we've seen of him to date, especially work rate and commitment wise. He also looked quicker and sharper, though still lacks the strength. I repeat, had we just signed him, people would be licking their lips today and hailing his "debut" as promising. Lets hope this is a turning point for him.

Guest Gemmill

I repeat, had we just signed him, people would be licking their lips today and hailing his "debut" as promising.

That's stupid even for you tbh. :razz:  Would I have got away with that sort of cobblers on the odd occasion that Titus Bramble had a good game?  "Yeah but just imagine that's his debut.  Yeah?  See?  You're drooling!"

Luque did lose the ball a few times and failed to get it back, but he also won it a few times and impressed in the air and with his back to goal once or twice I thought, which was surprising - he's quite decent up top. His game isn't there yet, i.e. in general play he's doing nothing eye catching or anything remotely close to the player he was in Spain, but the effort and commitment was there. He made some very good runs too and stretched their defence, switching from left to right and then playing through the middle. Believe me, his performance although poor in general, was a lot better than what we've seen of him to date, especially work rate and commitment wise. He also looked quicker and sharper, though still lacks the strength. I repeat, had we just signed him, people would be licking their lips today and hailing his "debut" as promising. Lets hope this is a turning point for him.

As did Martins all night and all last season.  Quite a few of our players dwell on the ball too much waiting for someone to actually get into some space. Luque is the type of player that will always be in the right place for the right pass and finish which he has proven not just last night.

As did Martins all night and all last season.  Quite a few of our players dwell on the ball too much waiting for someone to actually get into some space. Luque is the type of player that will always be in the right place for the right pass and finish which he has proven not just last night.

:lol: He has not fucking proven that whilst at Newcastle!

Maybe we should play two central midfielders up front? That way, unlike Martins and Luque they could tackle, run, pass, offer aggression and track back like no one's business!

ok we'd lose 1-0 but think of the work rate! :thup: