Dyer's replacement

TRon

Will we need one? Allardyce was hinting yes, and though my first instinct was Baptista, I'm starting to get a feeling that we might go for Alan Smith instead. As a front player he's a waste of time IMO, but Sam might see him as a direct replacement for Dyer as an attacking midfielder. Totally different qualities but what you lose in pace you would replace with effort and desire. Can see this happening tbh.

I have decided I want Bouazza :D

Looked a good player last season, versatile, young (turned 22 this year) and available for £5m which in all honesty is too much but everyone is moving for too much at the moment.

Guest nufc_geordie

Sign SWP to play wide right and move Milner into the playmaking role floating around behind the forwards. That is the way I would go!

Guest Breezer

Saw Bouazza last week at Watford's Vue cinema and we all was watching Die Hard 4!

I would like SWP but i would like somone who can play central too...

Whoever comes please let the team be balanced. I am sick of watching teams with players playing out of position as we have no left footers or in the CM role when they are wide players. We need to remember that football is a team game and a team with all the right ingredients will usually beat a team of all stars. Having said that i would be pleased with SWP in place of Dire.

Do we actually need a replacement?

Given the midfield options we've got:-

Butt

Emre

Barton

Milner

Solano

Geremi

Duff

N'Zogbia

+ kids

I'm playing devils advocate a bit here but not every team in the league has a midfielder with searing pace.

Also, it depends on what Sam saw Dyer's position as. You can't replace him if you don't know where the replacement needs to play.

FWIW, I reckon he might have played him right wing back, in which case, the need to improve this area remains.

Guest Guinness

Giles Barnes would be a good replacement IMO. He's always shown a lot of promise every time I've seen him play, it may however be difficult to get Derby's prize asset off of them. Kevin Nolan would be another player I'd like to see here but as with Barnes he'd probably cost a fair bit considering the inflated fees we've seen so far.

Do we actually need a replacement?

Given the midfield options we've got:-

Butt

Emre

Barton

Milner

Solano

Geremi

Duff

N'Zogbia

+ kids

I'm playing devils advocate a bit here but not every team in the league has a midfielder with searing pace.

Also, it depends on what Sam saw Dyer's position as. You can't replace him if you don't know where the replacement needs to play.

FWIW, I reckon he might have played him right wing back, in which case, the need to improve this area remains.

Agree with that. I'd forgotten about Emre too.

If Barton wasn't injured i'd probably say no. As he is, i'd say yes.

The SWP thing would do me.

See what you're saying Dave but Barton will only miss about a month of competitive matches and if you look at the list of midfielders in the post above a good few of them can play anywhere across the middle.

For example, if we had to, we could play Butt holding and Milner or the Zog bombing on through the middle. It wouldn't be ideal but if the new owners don't want to splash the cash (rightfully, for the time being, in my opinion) then it's not like we're gonna have a major struggle on just because Dyer's left.

Don't get me wrong, if we can afford it and it doesn't detract from the defensive signings pot then the more the merrier for me but I'm not sure that replacing Dyer is such a big deal.

Lets face it, given the amount of games he's played over the last 6 years, it's not like we've been able to rely on him in the past anyway.

Geremi's touch, passing and comfort on the ball last night surprised me (friendly, i know) - very good for a utility man. If he can be added to Emre, Butt and later on Barton as a central midfielder then i'm not sure where Dyer would fit in there. He's not going to play up front with Viduka here and Ameobi back. Which leaves the flanks. He shouldn't displace Milner on either imo, so it's Dyer vs Duff/Zoggy/Solano.

As you say riches, when I look at it that way, not sure he needs replacing.

I'm not going with the full-back idea btw, we need proper ones.

Geremi's touch, passing and comfort on the ball last night surprised me (friendly, i know) - very good for a utility man. If he can be added to Emre, Butt and later on Barton as a central midfielder then i'm not sure where Dyer would fit in there. He's not going to play up front with Viduka here and Ameobi back. Which leaves the flanks. He shouldn't displace Milner on either imo, so it's Dyer vs Duff/Zoggy/Solano.

As you say riches, when I look at it that way, not sure he needs replacing.

I'm not going with the full-back idea btw, we need proper ones.

Agreed on Geremi, as you say it was only a friendly, but I was really impressed by his touch, control and vision.

Fingers crossed he doesn't go the way Nicky Butt did after his first few games for us!

It would be an interesting exercise to compare the number of midfielders (capable of playing first team football regularly rather than just occasionally filling in) with other premiership sides. From the list above I would say we've got 8 battling it out for 4 places.

Even without Dyer I bet we're not badly off in comparison to other squads with similar aspirations. I haven't actually gone through the exercise mind so I could be completely wrong!

The names we have throughout our squad (barring the defence, naturally) compare favourably with every team other than the top four on paper imo. As usual, it's simply a case of getting them to play properly.

Right wing: Solano, Milner

Left wing: N'Zogbia, Duff

Centre: Barton, Butt, Geremi, Emre

Up front: Owen, Viduka, Martins, Ameobi, Carroll, Luque, Harper

We are fairly well covered if we do lose him tbf.  Also if (I bloody hope so) we get a few more defenders in Rozy can cover as a DM, given his silky skills (the turn which led to a freekick) he could play as an attacking mid  :razz:

People seem to forget how ineffective Emre has been since he came here - I would say with the Barton injury in particular, we desperately need another midfielder.

Fair point, but he's one I have a lot of hope for under better management.

Guest Guinness

People seem to forget how ineffective Emre has been since he came here - I would say with the Barton injury in particular, we desperately need another midfielder.

Isn't Emre also out for the start of the season?