Milner - Right wing or left wing?

Leazes1986
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Which side do you think he is most effective on? Obviously he's right footed, but i've been really impressed with him when he's played on the left. He's got a decent left foot on him, and he's got a quality shot on him. Obviously if he plays on the left he is gonna have more shooting opportunitys when he cuts inside. I am a big fan of N'Zogbia so i'm not saying Milner should be our first choice left winger, but i think we could get a lot out of Milner on the left.

Opinions?

Unsure. He looks impressive on the left, but I prefer to see wingers get to the line, and also be able to cross first time. That is much harder on the wrong foot.

Also, I want Zoggy to come back and claim the left as his own (:smitten:).

Guest JamesD

rather have him on the right, but wouldn't have any problems with him filling in on the left when needed.

Guest JamesD

rather have him on the left, but wouldn't have any problems with him filling in on the left when needed.

I agree, but also agree.

changed..

Guest Kenton Magpie

Isnt the plan to play N'zogbia at left back?

Personally i'd play Milner on the left untill Duff returns

I'll be majorly disappointed if we have to use Zoggy there in place of a new signing.

Guest Kenton Magpie

I'll be majorly disappointed if we have to use Zoggy there in place of a new signing.

Agreed, but it looks odds on that it's exactly what Sam has planned by the sound of things

Guest optimistic nit

rather have him on the left, but wouldn't have any problems with him filling in on the left when needed.

I agree, but also agree.

well said.

i would want him on the left if charlie plays left back otherwise on the right

i think charlie and milner would make a good partnership on the wing together

I think he seems to play better on the left.

because when hes on the right hes got the little fat steven carr behind him

He had Nobby behind him a lot last season as well though, and when he's played on the left he's never had a proper full back behind him. Babayaro is awful.

I think he seems to play better on the left.

because when hes on the right hes got the little fat steven carr behind him

He had Nobby behind him a lot last season as well though, and when he's played on the left he's never had a proper full back behind him. Babayaro is awful.

thats why i think n'zogbia should be there

hes looked good in pre-season

Depends on the opposition, the oppositions tactics, the state of the game, the tactics being used by us, the other players on the pitch for us.

In other words, in some situations, a rejuvenated Duff or N'Zogbia may provide the best option on the left with Milner or Solano on the right, but at other times, playing Milner on the left would be the best option.

I'm expecting more dynamic team selections on the flanks than what was seen under Roeder.

I'd imagine Milner would be useful on the left when we're sitting back and going for counter-attacks, as crosses into the box is rather useless when we're likely to have only one player on the receiving end of them. He's got a great shot, with both feet, and at times looks to be able to create something out of nothing. Will be exciting to see how he's utilized this season, definitely.

Im happy with Zog at left back and milner on the left, Also lets solano get back to his position and give milner that bit more experiance! When duff gets back then they can rotate the positions around a bit more .

Thats not to say i would be happy with another left back as that would be mint! Just goes to show that bigsam can try new things and it worked out for him. :clap2:

I think he will do well on both but it is good if he plays on the right hand side week in week out. I think when he comes back Duff will be a force. Zoggy is also not bad it is just shame we don't have a proper left back at the club.

Guest Shibby

I've always thought of Milner as a left sided player but with Dyer's departure looking likely, I'd say we don't have a choice but to play him on the right.

We've got Luque, Duff and Zoggy on the left. That's sorted.

Through the middle if we're playing 4-3-3, otherwise i'd have him as back up to either winger.

Agree with that, ultimately.

Feel sorry for Milner as I reckon he's too slow to ever be a top winger, but everything else is there. Give him the pace of Cristiano Ronaldo and he'd be almost as good. Two good feet, fantasic ability to create half a yard of space to put in a good cross. Can beat his man with ease at times and will get goals with his shooting ability. Imagine how many great positions he'd get into if he had the pace to knock it by his man and take a shot?

He may still eventually become a top quality player, but it'll be very hard for him. Modern wingers need pace, not neccesarily great sprinting but a good burst to beat his man when needed.

Through the middle in a 4-3-3 would suit him as he's good on the ball and times his runs forward well for the most part. I reckon we could end up with him in the middle with Butt and Geremi at the start of the season, if we don't add players. Ultimately though, he'd lose his place  to Barton when he returns.

Will always get games for us because of his versatility though, so he's a great member of the squad.

If you play him down the left you get the advantage of his shooting from distance which is pretty good, the downside is he's far too predictable, i think it was blackburn we played at the end of last season and everytime he cut inside ready to cross their defenders stepped out catching us offside. A good manager will spot something like that which means he's pretty useless out there.

If you play him down the left you get the advantage of his shooting from distance which is pretty good, the downside is he's far too predictable, i think it was blackburn we played at the end of last season and everytime he cut inside ready to cross their defenders stepped out catching us offside. A good manager will spot something like that which means he's pretty useless out there.

Opposing managers know that the left-winger is going to cut inside and shoot = he's pretty useless there. That's what you're saying, ultimately. Name me a good left-winger that doesn't cut in and shoot; of course he will. Fortunately Milner has a very good shot on him. Really think you underrate Milner.

Anyhow, it's such a tough question. He seems more effective on the left then he does on the right. People who say he can't cross are deluded. It's erratic, but 50% of the time his crosses are absolutely superb, and it'll be intriguing watching him cross balls for Owen and Viduka every week, as apposed to Martins, Dyer and Sibierski*.

But i just don't know. That'd mean Milner on the left with Geremi on the right, but you could argue that Geremi should be in the centre. Meaning Milner left and Nobby right...

Personally, i think we'd be more profitable of a N'Zogbia-left/Milner-right combo, rather than a Milner-left/Solano-right combo.

The N'Zogbia situation is potentially going into the 'stupid' bracket again, trying to convert him into a left-back. He's a left-winger. He's been good as a left-winger. He's been average-to-dogshit everywhere else he's played. When consistently in the side, he's a mint left-winger. He even looked good against Hartlepool down the left. I've just got a feeling that Zoggy is rejuvinated under Allardyce and we've got a very good player on our hands again.

Milner is more fruitful individually as a left-winger, but i think Zog on the left/Milner on the right would be more profitable on the whole, i reckon.

*On a separate note to that, a ball-playing duo of Milner up-high, and Nobby from deep, is a mouth-watering prospect, imo.