Ashley wants Keegan back as Director Of Football

Sparks
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest Gemmill

If this is handled properly, there's no reason it couldn't work.  Allardyce and Keegan working together to identify transfer targets, then Keegan given the job of "selling" the player to the new owners.  Honestly, if you could name anyone to try and do that job, KK is the perfect candidate.  The bloke's enthusiasm is infectious, and we know from his first time here that he's not a suit, he's a football man, and he wouldn't take any "sorry Kev, we can't afford him" from a bloke who's sitting on billions.

Could be a brilliant ally for Allardyce imo.

If this is handled properly, there's no reason it couldn't work.  Allardyce and Keegan working together to identify transfer targets, then Keegan given the job of "selling" the player to the new owners.  Honestly, if you could name anyone to try and do that job, KK is the perfect candidate.  The bloke's enthusiasm is infectious, and we know from his first time here that he's not a suit, he's a football man, and he wouldn't take any "sorry Kev, we can't afford him" from a bloke who's sitting on billions.

SA is good enough at cajoling players to a club. Really don't understand the KK role, he isn't technical/tactical/or a planner enough for a DOF and has had no interest in the game for the last 3/4 years as he admits himself.

THis is little more than pr spin...Journo's having a laugh. Will never happen.

Guest Gemmill

SA is good enough at cajoling players to a club. Really don't understand the KK role, he isn't technical/tactical/or a planner enough for a DOF and has had no interest in the game for the last 3/4 years as he admits himself.

I'm not talking about "cajoling players", I'm talking about convincing the owners to stump up the cash.  Read the post, Parky. :razz:

I'm not talking about "cajoling players", I'm talking about convincing the owners to stump up the cash.  Read the post, Parky. :razz:

I wasn't aware there was a 'stumping up cash' issue. In the short term with new owners who are football lite, there will be teething issues of course but I don't invisage it to continue, we certainly don't need ' a special person' to come and babysit them everytime we want to buy a player..Nonsense. :lol:

Thread title is DOF not Keegan offers phonesex to possible transfer targets to get them to sign. :laugh:

Just caught up to this thread and voted 'Nay'. Very bad idea.

The fact that 96 have voted 'Yay' is very disturbing. He had a lot of the attributes you would want in a (coach)/manager but not a DOF. Roeder would make a considerably better DOF than Keegan.

Guest Gemmill

I wasn't aware there was a 'stumping up cash' issue. In the short term with new owners who are football lite, there will be teething issues of course but I don't invisage it to continue, we certainly don't need ' a special person' to come and babysit them everytime we want to buy a player..Nonsense. :lol:

Thread title is DOF not Keegan offers phonesex to possible transfer targets to get them to sign. :laugh:

Your last line might make sense if I'd said that it was to do with attracting players to the club.  I didn't though.  Although Keegan could definitely do that too.

As for there being an issue with stumping up cash - we don't know, do we?  Allardyce himself has been quoted as saying that the new blokes know nothing about football so he is having to educate them about what he's doing and why he needs to do what he's doing etc.  What harm could it do to have an ally in the DOF position doing that sort of stuff for him?  That's right.  None. :razz:

It sounds quite similar to the sort of thing they do at Real Madrid with their sporting directors and whatever else they have. I think its currently their old player Predrag Mijatovic, and he seems to do a lot more of the press stuff/commenting on performances etc. The president Calderon (could have his name wrong) seems to be a little bit more back seat but has the final say.

Maybe Keegan could take this Mijatovic role, which would then give us a structure of Ashley financing it and hiding in his castle, Mort running business side of things and for example work on the stadium developments etc, then further down its Keegan as a sort of front man for the board, then allardyce concentrating solely on the players, their training and matches.

I get the impression that Mort didn't quite realise how many questions he would have to answer on a day to day basis and would prefer a more low profile behind the scenes role. So from the boards perspective Keegan works, but Allardyce in all likelihood would hate having so many people above him and it would all end in tears.

Your last line might make sense if I'd said that it was to do with attracting players to the club.  I didn't though.  Although Keegan could definitely do that too.

As for there being an issue with stumping up cash - we don't know, do we?  Allardyce himself has been quoted as saying that the new blokes know nothing about football so he is having to educate them about what he's doing and why he needs to do what he's doing etc.  What harm could it do to have an ally in the DOF position doing that sort of stuff for him?  That's right.  None. :razz:

Circus looking for ringmaster.  :razz:

It sounds quite similar to the sort of thing they do at Real Madrid with their sporting directors and whatever else they have. I think its currently their old player Predrag Mijatovic, and he seems to do a lot more of the press stuff/commenting on performances etc. The president Calderon (could have his name wrong) seems to be a little bit more back seat but has the final say.

Maybe Keegan could take this Mijatovic role, which would then give us a structure of Ashley financing it and hiding in his castle, Mort running business side of things and for example work on the stadium developments etc, then further down its Keegan as a sort of front man for the board, then allardyce concentrating solely on the players, their training and matches.

I get the impression that Mort didn't quite realise how many questions he would have to answer on a day to day basis and would prefer a more low profile behind the scenes role. So from the boards perspective Keegan works, but Allardyce in all likelihood would hate having so many people above him and it would all end in tears.

He has repeatedly stated over the last few years he no longer has an interest in the game.

Guest Gemmill

Circus looking for ringmaster.  :razz:

Joker looking for laugh. :razz:

Just caught up to this thread and voted 'Nay'. Very bad idea.

The fact that 96 have voted 'Yay' is very disturbing. He had a lot of the attributes you would want in a (coach)/manager but not a DOF. Roeder would make a considerably better DOF than Keegan.

In what way would Roeder be a better DOF than Keegan? Is it his excellent record in the transfer window that makes you think this?

Guest Gemmill

the results of this poll are absolutely fucking stupid tbh

:lol:  They're fairly even.  Which way should people have voted in your opinion?

the results of this poll are absolutely f****** stupid tbh

:lol:  They're fairly even.  Which way should people have voted in your opinion?

Thought you couldnt post on message boards in your new job? 

Guest Gemmill

the results of this poll are absolutely f****** stupid tbh

Thought you couldnt post on message boards in your new job? 

I haven't started my new job yet.  I'm busy winding down in the old one (been doing it for about 18 months or so). :lol:

Guest Invicta_Toon

there is only one option if you have:

A. a clue about what makes Keegan tick

B. a clue about what a D.O.F does

C. a clue about the style of football of Fat Sam vs. Keegan

Guest Gemmill

:lol: It's 50/50 Vic.  I'm stuck.  Go on, just enlighten us with your footballing knowledge.  You know you want to.

Guest Invicta_Toon

:lol: It's 50/50 Vic.  I'm stuck.  Go on, just enlighten us with your footballing knowledge.  You know you want to.

keegan is (or rather was before he lost his passion, which is another good reason) a tracksuit guy. A DOF is an executive position, to provide long term planning and vision, and oversee ALL football development (like the RESERVES!), over and above the manager, which is what SJH/FS fulfilled for him, and I don't see any sign of that ability in any of his other past jobs either. But if you insist that he knows how to pick a player and sell the club to him and him to Mort, in light of recent comments by Fat Sam about a left back, how do you think a player like Beresford would have gone down with Allardyce?

Guest Gemmill

keegan is (or rather was before he lost his passion, which is another good reason) a tracksuit guy. A DOF is an executive position, to provide long term planning and vision, and oversee ALL football development (like the RESERVES!), over and above the manager, which is what SJH/FS fulfilled for him, and I don't see any sign of that ability in any of his other past jobs either. But if you insist that he knows how to pick a player and sell the club to him and him to Mort, in light of recent comments by Fat Sam about a left back, how do you think a player like Beresford would have gone down with Allardyce?

Times change and people move on Vic.  I bet you used to like playing in the sandpit as a kid, but now you've moved on to lego and probably wouldn't be seen dead with a bucket and spade.  Who is to say that Keegan is STILL a tracksuit guy?  He was a tracksuit guy because he was a manager.

But yeah, pick Beresford as an example of a player that he could spot and bring to the club.  Let's ignore all of the absolutely first class signings he made.  Good argument.

Guest Invicta_Toon

Times change and people move on Vic.  I bet you used to like playing in the sandpit as a kid, but now you've moved on to lego and probably wouldn't be seen dead with a bucket and spade.  Who is to say that Keegan is STILL a tracksuit guy?  He was a tracksuit guy because he was a manager.

But yeah, pick Beresford as an example of a player that he could spot and bring to the club.  Let's ignore all of the absolutely first class signings he made.  Good argument.

right, so to try and show that Keegan might have changed, and now be ready for a high profile executive job (he decided this while hiding from the world at the circus I guess), you use an example of a kid and a sandpit? nice one

and Beresford was a fantastic player, so no idea what you're on about there. The point was, when did Keegan ever buy a defensive left-back? And how would he even know who they are even if he would go for one after talking with Sam.

What a mess if this is true, bloody hell man. Totally pointless, as if Allardyce would want this or requested it, Ashley stop interfeering & running the football side where its Sams job. Allardyces team is in place to start re-building the club, dont go start messing it about just because you didnt appoint him, dosent mean he's not the right man because imo he blatently is. Why do it, for sentimental reason,s popularity? You want that then back the manager who looks to have a great chance of turning us around.