Owen's get out clause expires on Tuesday - Shepherd

lovejoy

Why is he releasing this information though? Is he trying to tell other clubs to get in before Tuesday as a last act of revenge?

no.

i think every agent going will know about the clause, and when it expires etc, so it will be nothing new to them.

http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hlid=479222&CPID=8&clid=4&lid=2&title=Deadline+for+Owen+clause&channel=football_home&

Deadline for Owen clause

By Mark Buckingham -  Created on 29 Jul 2007

Michael Owen has until Tuesday to activate the get-out clause in his contract, according to former Newcastle United chairman Freddy Shepherd.

The striker has a stipulation in his Magpies deal allowing him to leave, if an interested club offer £9.5million.

The clause was inserted into the contract signed by Owen upon his arrival from Real Madrid two years ago, but Shepherd says there is a deadline.

"Without it, I don't think we would have done the deal, but it is only valid until July 31," Shepherd told the Mail on Sunday.

"After that he would have to stay for another year, unless it was in the club's interest to let him go."

Owen has endured two injury-hit seasons at St James' Park and missed much of the last campaign with a knee problem suffered while playing for England at the World Cup.

Newcastle fought to receive compensation from the Football Association and Shepherd believes the battle was justified.

He added: "We needed a top-class replacement when Alan Shearer retired. Owen was the best around, so we set our stall out to get him.

"But we lost him before he kicked a ball for us last season.

"I took on the FA because I felt it was unfair that England could second a player and then not be responsible for paying his wages if he got injured."

according to freddy on ssn.

(thought it needed its own thread, delete if its in another)

Could have saved this till Wednesday like :thup:

aye, i do see your point, but like i said i think clubs will have known about the clause, and when it expires a while ago, and this wont be anything new to them.

i think if anyone was going to make a move, they would have done it by now?

I thought it was a continual thing? That his value drops by 20% a season for each year of his contract? (The rumoured £9m-ish release ties in with this theory.)

i.e. He'll be able to leave for something like £6.5M next summer if somebody wants him?

If it does depend on our own European status then I'd assume it'd be Champions League or bust.

I thought it was a continual thing? That his value drops by 20% a season for each year of his contract? (The rumoured £9m-ish release ties in with this theory.)

i.e. He'll be able to leave for something like £6.5M next summer if somebody wants him?

If it does depend on our own European status then I'd assume it'd be Champions League or bust.

That was all just media speculation though was it not? By the looks of it, on Wednesday there'll be no get out for him.

Aye just random crap made up by the papers.

That was all just media speculation though was it not? By the looks of it, on Wednesday there'll be no get out for him.

But Shepherd himself says that Owen will have to stay for "another year" from August 1st, which says to me that the clause is re-activated next summer. He doesn't say anything about this being the end of the clause for good.

The 20% thing seems the most reliable/likely answer to me from all that I've seen/heard.

But Shepherd himself says that Owen will have to stay for "another year" from August 1st, which says to me that the clause is re-activated next summer. He doesn't say anything about this being the end of the clause for good.

The 20% thing seems the most reliable/likely answer to me from all that I've seen/heard.

It wont be if we don't get Europe again, then it will be activated. If we do it won't, but he'll be in the last year of his contract and either wanting another, or being sold anyway.

Surely it's Champions League though, why would Owen stay because of the UEFA Cup?

We didn't have to worry about this much in 2006 because he was utterly crocked so nobody was going to buy him anyway for the suggested £13M release clause (which was still rumoured at the time, unless I'm mistaken.)

This summer the release clause is apparently down to around £9M or so from all accounts and we were in danger of losing him because he's not currently going to miss the "entire season" - although he probably will miss most of it.

It will be interesting to see how things go in a year's time but I'd be fairly confident that unless something is done with his contract that we'll see him leaving for around £5M if he hasn't been plagued by injuries again and if someone comes in for him.

Then people will say it's not too bad because he only had a year left on his contract, anyway. Probably.

Surely it's Champions League though, why would Owen stay because of the UEFA Cup?

We didn't have to worry about this much in 2006 because he was utterly crocked so nobody was going to buy him anyway for the suggested £13M release clause (which was still rumoured at the time, unless I'm mistaken.)

This summer the release clause is apparently down to £9M or so from all accounts and we were in danger of losing him because he's not currently going to miss the "entire season" - although he probably will miss most of it.

It will be interesting to see how things go in a year's time but I'd be fairly confident that unless something is done with his contract that we'll see him leaving for around £6.5M if he hasn't been plagued by injuries again and if someone comes in for him.

Then people will say it's not too bad because he only had a year left on his contract, anyway. Probably.

There was no admittance to the clause last year though. So its speculation, as is the clause dropping again. Why would we put it in for CL only? We weren't exactly prime for a place back then, thats a huge risk to take.

All sources say its euro football, not CL, always mentioned as European football, and micky Owen didn't mind playing in it for Liverpool and picking up a medal, and am sure he wouldn't mind doing the same again right now.

At least this looks like something which we'll get a definitive answer to, unlike most debates on here.

I suppose all we can do is wait until next Summer and see what happens then.

Aside from that, the CL only thing is a gamble the club would have had to take to even get Owen to come at all. It's not hard to see how we could have been so desperate to get him that the contract would be ridiculously tilted in his favour, Shepherd admits to as much today.

There was no public admittance of the clause until Allardyce came and Shepherd was as good as gone though, so that has nowt to do with anything really. Plus, as I've already said, Owen was injured for almost 12 months in June - which meant he couldn't have gone anywhere anyway, meaning the clause was as good as void anyway because no bugger was going to buy him after the Sweden game.

Of course it's speculation, but it seems the most logical to me, what you're arguing has no basis in fact either. The Owen/Liverpool thing isn't worth a jot either, it was years ago man, he's been there and done that - ever looked at it that way? Why would he want to play WAFFA Cup football again when he's never done the biggest thing and won the CL?

If he pays up his contract he can buy himself out of it anyway, similar to what there is talk of Lampard doing at Chelsea.  And the value of his contract isnt that far from the value of the clause anyway

:lol:

We get raped from every angle here!

If he pays up his contract he can buy himself out of it anyway, similar to what there is talk of Lampard doing at Chelsea.  And the value of his contract isnt that far from the value of the clause anyway

Only to move to a different league though, and he doesn't want to do that.

Considering he said there was NO "get out clause" originally, shows that you can't trust him.

I wish people would stop saying this. NO he didn't

He did say it on that YouTube video, in fairness. Not that I'd advocate our chairman spilling his guts to some Smoggie-Scouse mongs in a van, like. The clause was publicly denied though, was it not? (Elsewhere?)

Only to move to a different league though, and he doesn't want to do that.

He's told you that in writing has he?