Smudger signs 5 year deal.

Dave
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I know I said this last summer and was totally wrong - BUT - surely if we are paying good money for players we aren't desperate for, we have money to spend on other departments.

guessing allardyce seems him as having similar attributes as Nolan and looking to employ him in the team the same way as Nolan does for bolton

Aye they're both fucking gash.

If were splashing out £6m on ADDITIONS to the squad then Alan Smith would be about 250th on the list of players who we need right now.

Scraping around for coins down the sofa so we can bring in defenders then spending £6m on Smith.

Aye, perfect sense that is.

Are we scraping round for coins to sign defenders though? We just put a £7m bid in for a defender the other day, remember.

Smith offers similar attributes to Bellamy apart from pace in my opinion.

I remember not a lot of people were happy with Bellamy for £6m - look how that turned out.

Smith is rated one of the best pros in the game apparently. One significant difference that is worth considering. Cant really see the comparison with Bellamy. Maybe both work hard and are tenacious? Their games are very different though.

If were splashing out £6m on ADDITIONS to the squad then Alan Smith would be about 250th on the list of players who we need right now.

Scraping around for coins down the sofa so we can bring in defenders then spending £6m on Smith.

Are we scraping round for coins to sign defenders though? We just put a £7m bid in for a defender the other day, remember.

According to the Chronicle :lol:

According to the Chronicle :lol:

This.

Good news imo. At last a player with guts and a similar determination to win as Bellamy.

Nice thought. Craig Bellamys medal count in the English league at present is zero though.

Guest Gemmill

I wouldn't even take him for half that amount.

His goal ratio is disgusting and he's always injured.

Apart from one serious injury his record isnt bad. He hasnt played up front for Man Utd often enough to assess whether his goal record is disgusting or not. Similarly at Leeds he was used on the wing/right of three. Never going to be prolific but it should be assumed his role here will be in midfield given our options up front.

Not a bad player but as has been mentioned elsewhere, the pace is going from the team. Its easy for the mongs on the board to drag their knuckles whilst that happens though. Not so easy to recruit anyone with real pace though - something top teams now have and we dont.

He played upfront about 70% of his Leeds career and scored about 20 goals in 4 seasons or something as shite as that. He's a terrible midfielder and we have better on the books. His pace is all but gone after his last injury, he brings nothing to the table apart from a nasty streak a mile wide. We don't need him upfront (and even if we did sell Martins or Owen i'd want better than this) and we don't need him in midfield, SAF stuck with him there longer than he should of, the rest of the team carried him, it was a godsend for Manu he broke his leg.

You're going WAY over the top in your criticism of him tbh.  He's nowhere near the absolute shithouse you're making him out to be.  He's a decent Premiership player and would be a good addition to the squad.  You make him out to be a less talented version of Sibierski with a bad attitude.

I've said nothing that not true. He's not a midfielder, he was poor and holding Manu back when playing in centre park for them. Upfront he's nothing more than worker, someone to assist as he very rarely gets amongst the goals. So where are we supposed to be buying him for? Its not going to be up front unless one of our strikers is leaving and if we replace Owen a natural goalscorer, or Martins natural pace and strength, with Smith who has none of that, then we really are down grading big style. If he's to replace Dyer, i'd rather keep Dyer, and i hate the prick.

He's not REPLACING anyone.  He's an ADDITION to the squad.  Why can't people get their head around the concept of building a squad of players to allow us some rotation/cover?  There are games and situations where a player like Smith could be well employed both up front or in midfield.  It's called having options.

I think the fact that we're spending £6m on Smith is evidence enough that we aren't scraping around for the cash to buy anyone tbh - I'm sure if there was a £6m left back on the market that we wanted and thought we could get, we'd spend the money on him instead of/as well as Smith. 

Obviously we need defenders, but until I hear an announcement from the club that we're signing Smith instead of defenders, I'll not get too worried about it.

Apart from one serious injury his record isnt bad. He hasnt played up front for Man Utd often enough to assess whether his goal record is disgusting or not. Similarly at Leeds he was used on the wing/right of three. Never going to be prolific but it should be assumed his role here will be in midfield given our options up front.

Not a bad player but as has been mentioned elsewhere, the pace is going from the team. Its easy for the mongs on the board to drag their knuckles whilst that happens though. Not so easy to recruit anyone with real pace though - something top teams now have and we dont.

He played upfront about 70% of his Leeds career and scored about 20 goals in 4 seasons or something as shite as that. He's a terrible midfielder and we have better on the books. His pace is all but gone after his last injury, he brings nothing to the table apart from a nasty streak a mile wide. We don't need him upfront (and even if we did sell Martins or Owen i'd want better than this) and we don't need him in midfield, SAF stuck with him there longer than he should of, the rest of the team carried him, it was a godsend for Manu he broke his leg.

You're going WAY over the top in your criticism of him tbh.  He's nowhere near the absolute shithouse you're making him out to be.  He's a decent Premiership player and would be a good addition to the squad.  You make him out to be a less talented version of Sibierski with a bad attitude.

I've said nothing that not true. He's not a midfielder, he was poor and holding Manu back when playing in centre park for them. Upfront he's nothing more than worker, someone to assist as he very rarely gets amongst the goals. So where are we supposed to be buying him for? Its not going to be up front unless one of our strikers is leaving and if we replace Owen a natural goalscorer, or Martins natural pace and strength, with Smith who has none of that, then we really are down grading big style. If he's to replace Dyer, i'd rather keep Dyer, and i hate the prick.

He's not REPLACING anyone.  He's an ADDITION to the squad.  Why can't people get their head around the concept of building a squad of players to allow us some rotation/cover?  There are games and situations where a player like Smith could be well employed both up front or in midfield.  It's called having options.

I think the fact that we're spending £6m on Smith is evidence enough that we aren't scraping around for the cash to buy anyone tbh - I'm sure if there was a £6m left back on the market that we wanted and thought we could get, we'd spend the money on him instead of/as well as Smith. 

Obviously we need defenders, but until I hear an announcement from the club that we're signing Smith instead of defenders, I'll not get too worried about it.

Its not fact were spending £6m on Smith, not yet at least, but what is fact is we've spent less than £3m on defenders and the season starts in about two weeks.

Guest nufc_geordie

guessing allardyce seems him as having similar attributes as Nolan and looking to employ him in the team the same way as Nolan does for bolton

Aye they're both f****** gash.

That is a quote from a muppet who knows very lttle about football. Kevin Nolan is an excellent player, who apart from the arse-licking and favouratism of England selection would be knocking on the door of the England squad. He has consistently been one of the highest scoring centre midfield players over the past few seasons.

Guest Gemmill

Its not fact were spending £6m on Smith, not yet at least, but what is fact is we've spent less than £3m on defenders and the season starts in about two weeks.

Yeah, I'm aware of that.  Ok then, the "suggestion" that we're spending £6m on Smith "suggests" that we aren't scraping around for money for anyone. 

Spending money on Smith has no bearing whatsoever on the fact that we still need defenders, or on our ability to also spend money on defenders.  If Allardyce knows that he's only got £6m to spend and is spunking it on Smith then yeah, it's daft, but do you really think that that's what's happening?  Cos I don't.  His reputation is on the line and he's not just going to be content to spend for the sake of spending.

That is a quote from a muppet who knows very lttle about football. Kevin Nolan is an excellent player, who apart from the arse-licking and favouratism of England selection would be knocking on the door of the England squad. He has consistently been one of the highest scoring centre midfield players over the past few seasons.

That's a classic.  :lol: Go tell Bolton fans that.

Guest Gemmill

Is your username meant to stand for good game good game?  Everytime I see it I go into Bruce Forsythe mode.

He's scored well twice in the past 5 seasons.

He's an okay player, not brilliant.

Guest Gemmill

Bolton fans would have you believe that Allardyce is shite an'all though.  And if you read this forum, you would think that Kieron Dyer is a poor man's Lee Trundle. 

Is your username meant to stand for good game good game?  Everytime I see it I go into Bruce Forsythe mode.

I was thinking Gareth Gates on Bo Selecta.