Smudger signs 5 year deal.

Dave
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Good news imo. At last a player with guts and a similar determination to win as Bellamy.

Nice thought. Craig Bellamys medal count in the English league at present is zero though.

Whats that got to do with guts and determination ? Think about why we are all having trouble suggesting a club captain. Its because no cunt in our team last year had any spine.

Guest Gemmill

£6m Left Backs??

Leighton Baines Anyone?????

Allardyce quite clearly doesn't rate Baines, or he would have shown interest in him before now.  Which is fine with me. 

I wouldn't even take him for half that amount.

His goal ratio is disgusting and he's always injured.

Apart from one serious injury his record isnt bad. He hasnt played up front for Man Utd often enough to assess whether his goal record is disgusting or not. Similarly at Leeds he was used on the wing/right of three. Never going to be prolific but it should be assumed his role here will be in midfield given our options up front.

Not a bad player but as has been mentioned elsewhere, the pace is going from the team. Its easy for the mongs on the board to drag their knuckles whilst that happens though. Not so easy to recruit anyone with real pace though - something top teams now have and we dont.

He played upfront about 70% of his Leeds career and scored about 20 goals in 4 seasons or something as shite as that. He's a terrible midfielder and we have better on the books. His pace is all but gone after his last injury, he brings nothing to the table apart from a nasty streak a mile wide. We don't need him upfront (and even if we did sell Martins or Owen i'd want better than this) and we don't need him in midfield, SAF stuck with him there longer than he should of, the rest of the team carried him, it was a godsend for Manu he broke his leg.

You're going WAY over the top in your criticism of him tbh.  He's nowhere near the absolute shithouse you're making him out to be.  He's a decent Premiership player and would be a good addition to the squad.  You make him out to be a less talented version of Sibierski with a bad attitude.

I've said nothing that not true. He's not a midfielder, he was poor and holding Manu back when playing in centre park for them. Upfront he's nothing more than worker, someone to assist as he very rarely gets amongst the goals. So where are we supposed to be buying him for? Its not going to be up front unless one of our strikers is leaving and if we replace Owen a natural goalscorer, or Martins natural pace and strength, with Smith who has none of that, then we really are down grading big style. If he's to replace Dyer, i'd rather keep Dyer, and i hate the prick.

He's not REPLACING anyone.  He's an ADDITION to the squad.  Why can't people get their head around the concept of building a squad of players to allow us some rotation/cover?  There are games and situations where a player like Smith could be well employed both up front or in midfield.  It's called having options.

If were splashing out £6m on ADDITIONS to the squad then Alan Smith would be about 250th on the list of players who we need right now.

Scraping around for coins down the sofa so we can bring in defenders then spending £6m on Smith.

Aye, perfect sense that is.

I think the fact that we're spending £6m on Smith is evidence enough that we aren't scraping around for the cash to buy anyone tbh - I'm sure if there was a £6m left back on the market that we wanted and thought we could get, we'd spend the money on him instead of/as well as Smith. 

Obviously we need defenders, but until I hear an announcement from the club that we're signing Smith instead of defenders, I'll not get too worried about it.

Its not fact were spending £6m on Smith, not yet at least, but what is fact is we've spent less than £3m on defenders and the season starts in about two weeks.

Yeah, I'm aware of that.  Ok then, the "suggestion" that we're spending £6m on Smith "suggests" that we aren't scraping around for money for anyone. 

Spending money on Smith has no bearing whatsoever on the fact that we still need defenders, or on our ability to also spend money on defenders.  If Allardyce knows that he's only got £6m to spend and is spunking it on Smith then yeah, it's daft, but do you really think that that's what's happening?  Cos I don't.  His reputation is on the line and he's not just going to be content to spend for the sake of spending.

I don't know what is happening, i wish i did, its getting beyond rediculous ATM but putting our situation aside, Alan Smith for £6m is still not a good buy and is double what he's really worth. If it was £6m on an actual midfielder, then i'd be welcome to the move even with our problems as we do have a thing squad, but Smith isn't a mid, isn't worth the money, isn't needed at the club, and we should be looking elsewhere.

I can't even begin to contemplate him coming to our club for such a fee, a fee more than Barton, who is a midfielder by trade.

Guest Gemmill

Apart from one serious injury his record isnt bad. He hasnt played up front for Man Utd often enough to assess whether his goal record is disgusting or not. Similarly at Leeds he was used on the wing/right of three. Never going to be prolific but it should be assumed his role here will be in midfield given our options up front.

Not a bad player but as has been mentioned elsewhere, the pace is going from the team. Its easy for the mongs on the board to drag their knuckles whilst that happens though. Not so easy to recruit anyone with real pace though - something top teams now have and we dont.

He played upfront about 70% of his Leeds career and scored about 20 goals in 4 seasons or something as shite as that. He's a terrible midfielder and we have better on the books. His pace is all but gone after his last injury, he brings nothing to the table apart from a nasty streak a mile wide. We don't need him upfront (and even if we did sell Martins or Owen i'd want better than this) and we don't need him in midfield, SAF stuck with him there longer than he should of, the rest of the team carried him, it was a godsend for Manu he broke his leg.

You're going WAY over the top in your criticism of him tbh.  He's nowhere near the absolute shithouse you're making him out to be.  He's a decent Premiership player and would be a good addition to the squad.  You make him out to be a less talented version of Sibierski with a bad attitude.

I've said nothing that not true. He's not a midfielder, he was poor and holding Manu back when playing in centre park for them. Upfront he's nothing more than worker, someone to assist as he very rarely gets amongst the goals. So where are we supposed to be buying him for? Its not going to be up front unless one of our strikers is leaving and if we replace Owen a natural goalscorer, or Martins natural pace and strength, with Smith who has none of that, then we really are down grading big style. If he's to replace Dyer, i'd rather keep Dyer, and i hate the prick.

He's not REPLACING anyone.  He's an ADDITION to the squad.  Why can't people get their head around the concept of building a squad of players to allow us some rotation/cover?  There are games and situations where a player like Smith could be well employed both up front or in midfield.  It's called having options.

If were splashing out £6m on ADDITIONS to the squad then Alan Smith would be about 250th on the list of players who we need right now.

Scraping around for coins down the sofa so we can bring in defenders then spending £6m on Smith.

I think the fact that we're spending £6m on Smith is evidence enough that we aren't scraping around for the cash to buy anyone tbh - I'm sure if there was a £6m left back on the market that we wanted and thought we could get, we'd spend the money on him instead of/as well as Smith. 

Obviously we need defenders, but until I hear an announcement from the club that we're signing Smith instead of defenders, I'll not get too worried about it.

Its not fact were spending £6m on Smith, not yet at least, but what is fact is we've spent less than £3m on defenders and the season starts in about two weeks.

Yeah, I'm aware of that.  Ok then, the "suggestion" that we're spending £6m on Smith "suggests" that we aren't scraping around for money for anyone. 

Spending money on Smith has no bearing whatsoever on the fact that we still need defenders, or on our ability to also spend money on defenders.  If Allardyce knows that he's only got £6m to spend and is spunking it on Smith then yeah, it's daft, but do you really think that that's what's happening?  Cos I don't.  His reputation is on the line and he's not just going to be content to spend for the sake of spending.

I don't know what is happening, i wish i did, its getting beyond rediculous ATM but putting our situation aside, Alan Smith for £6m is still not a good buy and is double what he's really worth. If it was £6m on an actual midfielder, then i'd be welcome to the move even with our problems as we do have a thing squad, but Smith isn't a mid, isn't worth the money, isn't needed at the club, and we should be looking elsewhere.

I can't even begin to contemplate him coming to our club for such a fee, a fee more than Barton, who is a midfielder by trade.

When Michael Chopra is going for £5m, I'd say £6m for Smith is the going rate tbh.  We'll just have to agree to disagree on his worth to the squad, as I think he'll make a good addition and give us some much needed depth.

Arrrrrrrrgghhh. Stop it!

It's rIiculous!! Not REDICULOUS

When Michael Chopra is going for £5m, I'd say £6m for Smith is the going rate tbh.  We'll just have to agree to disagree on his worth to the squad, as I think he'll make a good addition and give us some much needed depth.

Mate if Chopra is worth £5m, Smith is worth £10m, but i'm not of either opinion.  :lol:

Fair enough, if he signs he will get my support, but if he doesn't i think we've had a lucky escape. (The fact Roy Keane hasn't gone in (and has for Chopra) for him says it all imo)

Can't believe this is all we've got to go off after 3 weeks in the transfer window, I mean fucking hell, doesn't matter who's in charge we just don't address the real issue's season after season!

Come on Chris "Smithers" Mort get you finger out!  :rant:

Can't believe this is all we've got to go off after 3 weeks in the transfer window, I mean fucking hell, doesn't matter who's in charge we just don't address the real issue's season after season!

http://img48.imageshack.us/img48/3222/200pxclivedunn1973gd5.png

Guest Hoop Blah

You lot are mental.

Smith would be a cracking signing for any side outside of the top 5.  When he's been fit and played upfront he's the closest thing the country has to Shearer in his prime.  Obviously not in his class but a centre forward that can do the lot.

How any of you can think that Ameobi is anywhere near his level is beyond me.

Guest Gemmill

£6m Left Backs??

Leighton Baines Anyone?????

Allardyce quite clearly doesn't rate Baines, or he would have shown interest in him before now.  Which is fine with me. 

Depends on who the left-back we bring in is.

Not really.  If Allardyce doesn't rate a player, then he won't sign him, and that's the way it should be.  If we want someone who'll succumb to the pressure in that way, we should re-appoint Roeder.

You lot are mental.

Smith would be a cracking signing for any side outside of the top 5.  When he's been fit and played upfront he's the closest thing the country has to Shearer in his prime.  Obviously not in his class but a centre forward that can do the lot.

Heroin is dangerous you know!

Can't believe this is all we've got to go off after 3 weeks in the transfer window, I mean f****** hell, doesn't matter who's in charge we just don't address the real issue's season after season!

You've been waiting to use that for ages I bet! lol

Always glad to help!

You lot are mental.

A Shearer in his prime who only once in his career has scored more than 10 league goals? No wonder England are shit.

Guest stb654

WTF.. Smith is fcking shite.

Big Sam is clearly not right in the head if he thinks we need him..

We need defenders, every sane person knows that!  :idiot2:

P.S: Why has everyone got a picture of a weatherman/woman on here ffs!  :undecided:

Can't believe this is all we've got to go off after 3 weeks in the transfer window, I mean f****** hell, doesn't matter who's in charge we just don't address the real issue's season after season!

or http://clivedavis.blogs.com/photos/uncategorized/private_frazer.jpg

Prefer your outlook tho'

Guest Gemmill

Aye, there are other sane people that realise that signing Smith doesn't mean we can't sign defenders as well.  A concept beyond the grasp of some. :razz:

P.S: Why has everyone got a picture of a weatherman/woman on here ffs!  :undecided:

Why not?

A true philosopher's answer :laugh:

P.S: Why has everyone got a picture of a weatherman/woman on here ffs!  :undecided:

The question surely should be why hasn't everyone got one?