Sam questioning his position?

Guest sicko2ndbest

Guest Gemmill

Sams in for Mort talksJul 30 2007

by Alan Oliver, Evening Chronicle

SAM ALLARDYCE was having a clear the air meeting with Newcastle United chairman Chris Mort today after reports over the weekend that Kevin Keegan and Alan Shearer were returning to the club.

The United boss woke up to headlines yesterday saying that arguably two of the greatest men in Uniteds history were wanted by the new regime.

And while he bit his tongue when asked about the situation, Big Sam made it clear all he wants is to be left alone to do the job he is well paid to do.

In the past week, all the talk down south was that Uniteds new owner Mike Ashley has asked Keegan to name his price to come back as director of football at St James Park with Shearer as his manager.

But not many people are taking this seriously, with Keegan running his Soccer circus in Glasgow and Shearer fully occupied with his job with BBCs Match of the Day and his ambassadorial role with United and Umbro.

I have kept in touch with Shearer since he retired and he never wastes the opportunity to tell me he is currently living and loving his life to the full.

Yet there is little doubt that one day Shearer will be manager of his beloved Newcastle United but the earliest that is likely to happen is in two years time.

Allardyce has a three-year contract worth £9m and he is currently in a no-lose situation at St James Park.

But this could well be his last job in football and he understandably wants to make a success of it.

The last thing he wanted after todays meeting is the dreaded vote of confidence from Mort, but the United hierarchy owe it to Allardyce to make some sort of statement.

Earlier this month, when he faced the media, Mort said: Sam is a great appointment.

Obviously he is not our appointment, but we have no problem with the role Sam has and we are sticking with him.

The question of signings would obviously crop up at todays meeting, but Allardyces plea to be given cash to strengthen his squad has not been helped by the way United have destroyed Celtic and Juventus in the last couple of days, with the clubs youngsters playing their full part in the absence of Michael Owen, Shola Ameobi, Joey Barton, Damien Duff, Emre, and Celestine Babayaro.

Allardyces only comment was: I have no idea what the clubs thoughts are in that department.

It hasnt come up but if it does Ill make my views known in private.

Makes it sound like Big Sam is holding them to ransom, Anal really is a prick

How ironic that Shepherd and Hall appointed a good manager - despite people laughably saying they couldn't - then he walks when the "saviours" [ie anyone but Hall and Shepherd] don't back him.

This hasn't happened to Newcastle since Arthur Cox and Gordon Lee, by the way.

Still hasn't happened to Newcastle since then, has it?  I fail to see why you would enjoy it though if it did.  Well, apart from your enormous propensity for "I told you so" posts.

Guest Knightrider

Aye because one transfer window makes a board's tenure...

There is an awful lot of people making snap judgements on Ashley and co because in the 2 months they've been here (is it even that), they haven't written a cheque yet. Jesus wept, we really are becoming impatient fuckers.

BTW Ashley has committed more cash to this club than anyone in the history of it. I'm sure he's not going to stop there now that he owns it.

Honestly man :lol:

Guest Gemmill

Jesus wept, we really are becoming impatient fuckers.

Aye, unfortunately I think the papers and other fans are correct about a sizeable chunk of our support - unrealistic expectations coupled with chronic impatience.  Recipe for disaster.  Honestly, I think there are some on here that would have Shepherd back tomorrow if you gave them the option.

Sam’s in for Mort talksJul 30 2007

by Alan Oliver, Evening Chronicle

SAM ALLARDYCE was having a “clear the air” meeting with Newcastle United chairman Chris Mort today after reports over the weekend that Kevin Keegan and Alan Shearer were returning to the club.

The United boss woke up to headlines yesterday saying that arguably two of the greatest men in United’s history were wanted by the new regime.

And while he bit his tongue when asked about the situation, Big Sam made it clear all he wants is to be left alone to do the job he is well paid to do.

In the past week, all the talk down south was that United’s new owner Mike Ashley has asked Keegan to name his price to come back as director of football at St James’ Park with Shearer as his manager.

But not many people are taking this seriously, with Keegan running his Soccer circus in Glasgow and Shearer fully occupied with his job with BBC’s Match of the Day and his ambassadorial role with United and Umbro.

I have kept in touch with Shearer since he retired and he never wastes the opportunity to tell me he is currently living and loving his life to the full.

Yet there is little doubt that one day Shearer will be manager of his beloved Newcastle United but the earliest that is likely to happen is in two years’ time.

Allardyce has a three-year contract worth £9m and he is currently in a no-lose situation at St James’ Park.

But this could well be his last job in football and he understandably wants to make a success of it.

The last thing he wanted after today’s meeting is the dreaded vote of confidence from Mort, but the United hierarchy owe it to Allardyce to make some sort of statement.

Earlier this month, when he faced the media, Mort said: “Sam is a great appointment.

“Obviously he is not our appointment, but we have no problem with the role Sam has and we are sticking with him.”

The question of signings would obviously crop up at today’s meeting, but Allardyce’s plea to be given cash to strengthen his squad has not been helped by the way United have destroyed Celtic and Juventus in the last couple of days, with the club’s youngsters playing their full part in the absence of Michael Owen, Shola Ameobi, Joey Barton, Damien Duff, Emre, and Celestine Babayaro.

Allardyce’s only comment was: “I have no idea what the club’s thoughts are in that department.

“It hasn’t come up – but if it does I’ll make my views known in private.”

Makes it sound like Big Sam is holding them to ransom, Anal really is a prick

How ironic that Shepherd and Hall appointed a good manager - despite people laughably saying they couldn't - then he walks when the "saviours" [ie anyone but Hall and Shepherd] don't back him.

Still hasn't happened to Newcastle since then, has it?  I fail to see why you would enjoy it though if it did.  Well, apart from your enormous propensity for "I told you so" posts.

no, it hasn't.

I won't be happy if Allardyce leaves any more than I was when I pointed out to you the state that Sounes left the club in, both financially and on the playing side, despite you saying we should stick with him - I'd far rather we had sacked him when he assaulted his employee on the training ground. I bet you think we are still better off for that little escapade don't you ?

Face facts. Our manager is not a happy chappy with his board, see this little post to emphasise it

http://www.newcastle-online.com/nufcforum/index.php?topic=43146.msg937411#msg937411

Did Keegan walk away?  Maybe we should discount him because it doesn't suit your argument, it wouldn't be the first time that we had to ignore something because it didn't suit you.

Did Keegan walk away?  Maybe we should discount him because it doesn't suit your argument, it wouldn't be the first time that we had to ignore something because it didn't suit you.

So you now say Keegan walked away because he didn't get backing from the board ........ hoho........thats your best yet. Absolute belter that one  mackems.gif mackems.gif mackems.gif What a joke you are.

So you now say Keegan walked away because he didn't get backing from the board ........ hoho........thats your best yet. Absolute belter that one  mackems.gif mackems.gif mackems.gif What a joke you are.

Keegan? He wasnt as good as Souness according to a post I remember......

Guest Gemmill

no, it hasn't.

I won't be happy if Allardyce leaves any more than I was when I pointed out to you the state that Sounes left the club in, both financially and on the playing side, despite you saying we should stick with him - I'd far rather we had sacked him when he assaulted his employee on the training ground. I bet you think we are still better off for that little escapade don't you ?

Face facts. Our manager is not a happy chappy with his board, see this little post to emphasise it

http://www.newcastle-online.com/nufcforum/index.php?topic=43146.msg937411#msg937411

Is it worth me pointing out the financial mess Shepherd has left the club in contributing to the new owner's unwillingness to spend?  Or will that fall on deaf ears and be attributed to Souness, and to a lesser extent me.  And no doubt Mick.

no, it hasn't.

Is it worth me pointing out the financial mess Shepherd has left the club in contributing to the new owner's unwillingness to spend?  Or will that fall on deaf ears and be attributed to Souness, and to a lesser extent me.  And no doubt Mick.

Agree Gemmill. If your house falls down you need to clear up the mess before laying the foundations on a new one.

Why did Keegan walk away?

no, it hasn't.

The last lot of accounts told there own story tbh. We are in debt. The wage bill is way beyond the means of the previous owners in the long term. The coverage and comments attributed to various analysts commenting on the club didnt paint a rosy picture. Irrespective of their comments, we were being left behind. The appointment of Souness (who Leazes backed) and Roeder (who Leazes backed) were nonsensical.

It appears there is a fair bit of shit to tidy up at the club. Nobody is going to invest until they audit it properly and cut then cut their cloth accordingly.

In the end though its Gemmills fault.

Because he couldn't guarantee he'd stay beyond the end of the season, with the PLC going through they had to try and get him to sign a new contract which he refused so walked.

It was purely to do with his contract. iirc he was on a rolling one per year (gentleman's agreement) and the new bods wanted him to sign something more formal.

EDIT: What Baggy said.^^^^

Because he couldn't guarantee he'd stay beyond the end of the season, with the PLC going through they had to try and get him to sign a new contract which he refused so walked.

Keegan walked because he was against the club becoming a PLC and refused to extend his contract bacause of it.

Sam is an Alpha male and he wants more control and it will take time for him and Mort to dovetail. The press are feasting on what few crumbs they have picked up from SA's comments about the transfer market. In the scheme of things he is a bit of a whiner....I don't beleive for a minute that there is no money and that transfers won't happen. I really don't. I have had the odd twitchy morning, but it goes against all common sense to not at this moment re-build the defence. Mort himself has been quoted as saying it needs addressing.

Yet there is little doubt that one day Shearer will be manager of his beloved Newcastle United but the earliest that is likely to happen is in two years’ time.

BULLSHIT, BULLSHIT, BULLSHIT!!!!  Shut the fuck up, you stupid fuck.  Honestly, the cunt makes me insane. 

Keegan walked because he was against the club becoming a PLC and refused to extend his contract bacause of it.

Keegan had told the board that he planned on stepping down at the end of the season, because the club were becoming a PLC they were told that Keegan's future at the club would have to be made more clear as they could be in trouble if they knew he planned on walking at the end of the season while the company was about to be floated, they called him to a meeting where they offered him a new contract and told him he either had to sign it or go now instead of the end of the season.

He walked.

Keegan had told the board that he planned on stepping down at the end of the season, because the club were becoming a PLC they were told that Keegan's future at the club would have to be made more clear as they could be in trouble if they knew he planned on walking at the end of the season while the company was about to be floated, they called him to a meeting where they offered him a new contract and told him he either had to sign it or go now instead of the end of the season.

He walked.

Thats one explanation. Pretty sure it was a bit like that but the management of the situation was piss poor. We had a semi-successful manager and we fucked it up.

He walked.

Thats one explanation. Pretty sure it was a bit like that but the management of the situation was piss poor. We had a semi-successful manager and we fucked it up.

I think he would have continued on his terms 'the gentlemans agreement', but his hand was forced.

Guest Gemmill

He walked.

I think he would have continued on his terms 'the gentlemans agreement', but his hand was forced.

He would have continued as far as the end of the season.  He'd had enough though.  We lost him 5 months early, but he was going regardless.

He walked.

That is the way it happened, I'm sure the reason he was going at the end of that season was because he didn't want to work for a PLC, he said something along the lines of not being able to manage because of the constraints that would bring.

Loads of Keegan quotes about why he left

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/fa_cup/1824074.stm

Kevin Keegan insists he had "no option" but to resign as Newcastle manager five years ago after being offered a contract ultimatum.

The former Toon idol returns to St James' Park on Sunday with his Manchester City side for a fifth round FA Cup tie.

Keegan is still held in high esteem by the Newcastle fans after his rollercoaster spell in charge from 1992 to 1997.

After returning to the club where he starred as a player, he lifted the Geordies from the depths of the old Second Division to within touching distance of the Premiership title.

But Keegan revealed the manager's job lost its appeal after the club decided to float on the Stock Exchange, prompting his shock decision to quit.

"When anybody leaves their job, it's rarely the way you want to leave," he said.

"I know it was my choice to leave. I had no option but I was forced into a corner.

"When the then chairman Sir John Hall first rang me to bring me back to Newcastle, he said `We are the two people who can save Newcastle'.

"On the last day, he was nowhere to be seen. I felt that was bad. In fact, it was the one bad day I had there.

"I was sat in the boardroom with Freddy Shepherd, Freddie Fletcher and Douglas Hall, men I had worked with.

"But they said nothing as some finance man floating the club told me I had to sign a new contract or go.

"I said `You don't know me. These people do. Thank you very much - goodbye!'

"It was becoming a plc and I felt the focus of the club had changed. It just wasn't as enjoyable as it was."

Guest Kenton Magpie

Why do people buy the paper and read the back yet come on to moan about what he has to say? surely the best way is for those who dislike his patter so much to boycott the back pages of the chronicle totally or even better the whole paper itself