A Long Read......

Heron

Hi, i'm new to these forums but have been aware of them for some time.

I have only read one of the threads on here, and it was the recent one about Dyer being booed. I wouldn't have signed up to these forums if i hadn't have read about events that occured involving one of your members, but now i know of what happened, here i am.

Yes, i know what you are thinking, "not another Toon Ultra", "here's another mong to make a tit of himself", etc.. But i'm not here to slag anyone off as such, just try and build a bridge so to speak.

Firstly, in regards to that thread, i would like to give my own personal view on the booing of Kieron Dyer.

In my own honest opinion, i think he has been a complete waste of money. If he had have stuck to being an olympic sprinter he would have gained more fame, without a doubt. As i believe the only skill/ability he has is to run. After stories of him getting his knob out, burning cash in front of people in pubs/clubs, and of his little spat with Sir Bobby (i think) about playing on the right, i can safely say i despise the money grabbing c***. However, i would never boo him, he's in black and white, and until the day he isn't i wont boo him.

On the other hand, those who wish to boo him have every right, everyone pays good hard earned money (whether it's their own or another family members/friends) and each individual has the right to boo whatever they choose.

At times, i find the booing pathetic, some people overly use the gesture, however in the case of Dyer i think it's safe to say that he has every right to be booed after getting payed over the odds for unrealised potential, and injury after injury.

Anyways, that's that point out of the way, and it's not the main reason i am here....

There seems to be an ongoing saga between the Toon Ultras (of which i am a member) and Newcastle Online, and i am getting a bit sick of it really, so i just want my feelings to be known.

I'm sure many a time an Ultra has came on here and maybes acted immaturely or innapropriately. However, the actions of some people on this forum will be no worse than what occurs on our own.

I would like to ask everyone who reads this thread the following questions;

Despite getting high attendances every week, do we have the most passionate fans in Britain, Europe, or the world?

My answer is simply, NO.

Secondly, is the question;

Do you want it to improve?

My answer, YES.

In addition to this, i would like to add that anyone who doesn't want the atmosphere to return to what it was like in the Keegan era doesn't belong at a football match.

This is a rather stereotypical view, but i feel as though we (The Toon Ultras) are the only ones who are really passionate about "bringing the noise back" and you (Newcastle Online) are the people stopping us from getting anywhere.

"How?" you may ask. Well, i think it's simply because this site has an incredibly high amount of members, and alot of which are around the 25+ age group. Not only that, but alot of members on this forum have alot of influence over fellow supporters. It seems a select few of you seem to have the opinion that we are "charvas","Mongs", "the riff raff" etc and when you post on here it generates a stereotypical view of the Toon Ultras.

I am also under the impression that alot of members off these forums are the type who would say that standing and singing is a "been there, done that, got the t-shirt" sort of thing.

That is fair enough, you don't have to sing at games, you do as you choose, you pay your hard earned money too. But if you expect the youth of today, to sit their in silence, i would advise you to invest in Sky/Cable and watch it in the comfort of your armchair. Don't deny younger lads the chance to do what alot of you probably did and stand and support your team. At 17, i may seem a little inexperienced, but i have heard of many stories about the old Leazes End being the place to go for a good sing-song.

"Peanuts a tanner a bag, the more you eat the more you..sha-la-la-la McNamee"

Anyways, i'm not here to keep ranting on about you all, i'm sure your all a canny bunch of lads/lasses. Basically, the Toon Ultras are NOT a bunch of charvas, and in fact the majority of our site don't wish to be associated with them, hence the move from the Leazes Level 7 beside the away fans to the South East (Strawberry) Corner. Charvas are as much a problem to us as they are to you, so please don't label us as that.

The main core of Toon Ultras is aged around 15-21, and alot of us are currently finishing up school and attending 6th form/college/university. Despite that we do have a good number of older members, who post less regularly.

We try our hardest to make as much noise as we can, not "shoes off if you love the toon", "shearer" or anything else that is frowned upon by you lot, but by making good new songs up like:

This club is my club,

Made out of 2 clubs,

To form united,

Oh what a great club,

We'll always be there,

Win, lose, we don't care,

We are the Geordies,

of N-U-F-C....

We lack numbers however, this is where you come in. You have the numbers, you have the older, maturer (is that a word) members and with your help we can both strive forward to once again make St James' a fortress.

So can you please stop lying about us (you know who you are), stereotyping us, and putting is down. I don't want to sound cocky here, but i try my best to do anything possible for the Toon Ultras. You may have seen the Big Sams Black and White Army banner, or the NU (Toon Ultras Crest) FC one at the home friendlies. Well i painted them pretty much by myself. I don't want a Blue Peters badge or compliments, but what i do want is to see the same sort of effort being put into getting behind our team, if not by all of you, by the majority.

So instead of moaning about us, please can some of you give us the opportunity to prove ourselves, and maybes help us promote ourself, then like i say, St James' will once again become a feared place.

Thanks for reading, (anyone who did  :lol:)

Your new member.  8)

Guest Cheetzy

Well said Heron. Agree totally your fine job within the Toon Ultra's carries on here, You talk alot of Sense and i find it hard too disagree with you.

Guest Invicta_Toon

the more I read of your lot, the more it sounds like you are honestly trying to make people make noise by force. All this 'why wouldn't you want a better atmosphere?' attitude is completely mis-placed, you have missed the point.

I think you seriously need to question if this would ever work, I mean are you as a group really going to convince someone who doesn't currently make noise to do it, just because you plead and make banners?

you harp on about the Keegan years, yet seem to forget the reason why people were making noise. Loudest fans in the world win lose or draw is a myth (except away games), made worse by the extension to 50k

it will come when it comes, if it ever comes. your efforts while something to be proud of, will achieve nothing by themselves. That to me is plain as day, to a 17 year old, maybe not, but as they say, you'll learn.

the more I read of your lot, the more it sounds like you are honestly trying to make people make noise by force. All this 'why wouldn't you want a better atmosphere?' attitude is completely mis-placed, you have missed the point.

I think you seriously need to question if this would ever work, I mean are you as a group really going to convince someone who doesn't currently make noise to do it, just because you plead and make banners?

you harp on about the Keegan years, yet seem to forget the reason why people were making noise. Loudest fans in the world win lose or draw is a myth (except away games), made worse by the extension to 50k

it will come when it comes, if it ever comes. your efforts while something to be proud of, will achieve nothing by themselves. That to me is plain as day, to a 17 year old, maybe not, but as they say, you'll learn.

I appreciate your views, but we are not "forcing" people to sing.

Like it or not the problem didn't arise because of the stadium expansion, the problem has came as a result of over-priced tickets that stop younger lads like myself from getting to the game. Young lads like myself are the ones who make the majority of the noise, it's a fact. I, like many my age will attend games for a day out with the lads, and the majority of the Toon Ultras are season ticket holders too. We don't just go to the cup games and friendlies.

Until, either A) The ticket prices go down or B) Older blokes get behind us...your right we will struggle. That is unless C) the club decide to repay their fans for once and create a singing section.

I too have my doubts about our organisation, but i hope one day we can say that we achieved something good for Newcastle United.

have you got any ideas or suggestions of ways things could be improved (what they do) or how they can make more of an impact and a better opinion on people? to take them serious? or ways of spreading the word in a less " forcing " mannor?

all ideas and opinions and "constructive" critism etc goes down better than insulting them (not saying you did this is to anyone who is thinking about it) etc. if you dont like the way they do something. or think it should be done in a different way. say so rather than just having digs.

I think your analysis of NO is wrong. I'd say there were a few lads on here who dont remember what it was like going away in the 80's and 90's but there are a lot that do. There are also a lot of lads on here who travel away who still like to sing and generally have a daft time at the match. The reasons SJP is now like most other grounds in terms of noise is because they took standing away. If you were old enough to remember football before all-seaters, you would know this too.

I think your analysis of NO is wrong. I'd say there were a few lads on here who dont remember what it was like going away in the 80's and 90's but there are a lot that do. There are also a lot of lads on here who travel away who still like to sing and generally have a daft time at the match. The reasons SJP is now like most other grounds in terms of noise is because they took standing away. If you were old enough to remember football before all-seaters, you would know this too.

I agree with that mate, maybes i was being hypocrytical saying don't stereotype us when i did the exact same to you's.

I was too young to see what it was like on terracing, the only experience i have of this was Carlisle the other week. But like i said in my 2nd post in this thread, alot of it is down to over-priced tickets.

For all of those on here who like a sing song, if they get involved with us or back us, then i'm sure it will be a more enjoyable experience for everyone.

Can i ask would you be in favour of a singing section in St James'? If the club were to make one...

(just out of curiosity)

I agree with that mate, maybes i was being hypocrytical saying don't stereotype us when i did the exact same to you's.

I was too young to see what it was like on terracing, the only experience i have of this was Carlisle the other week. But like i said in my 2nd post in this thread, alot of it is down to over-priced tickets.

For all of those on here who like a sing song, if they get involved with us or back us, then i'm sure it will be a more enjoyable experience for everyone.

Can i ask would you be in favour of a singing section in St James'? If the club were to make one...

(just out of curiosity)

I'm in favour of all fans getting as involved as they can and i will happily encourage you all in your efforts. It wont be for everyone but i would encourage people to sing at games, i think its as much a cultural thing as a supporting thing.

Its a fact that the soul of football has changed, sometimes for the better sometimes for the worse.

Also, you're known as mongs because most who come on here claiming to represent you act like mongs, you can't blame people for getting the wrong idea if that's all they see.

No problem with the TUs whatsoever, and at the risk of sounding patronising (I don't mean to be), it's good what the Ultras are doing, actively doing something to try and improve the atmosphere.

It's probably a good thing that you made the move during cup games from L7 to the SE corner, because the Charvers were up there as well, and people thought the TUs are Charvers. I'm still not that keen on the name, and I do wonder if that maybe puts people off, but then if you lot are happy with it, maybe that's something I/others have to get over - I think everyone pretty much knows that the TUs aren't about violence like Italian or Spanish Ultra groups. I also think that your age range (15-21) may be a problem for older people who maybe feel uncomfortable about being in something with 'a bunch of kids'. But again, that's not neccessarily the TUs problem or fault.

I like the idea of getting new songs in though, we do need some fresh things, and singing 'Newcastle' to tunes everyone sings gets a bit boring.

I think the ultras are doing a good job, A singing section would be a good idea but I can't see how it could happen??

Half the time at the match you feel embarrassed to sing cause no fucker else is >:(

Keep up the good work lad's at least your making a effort :clap:

Well done to the TUs, you lads do make a real difference.

I wonder if it's not better for you to be spread out all over the ground? Like mofo says, some people are embarassed to start a song, but will happily join in. Maybe a group of 25-50 in each part of the ground would be more useful in acheiving your aims?

Guest Invicta_Toon

have you got any ideas or suggestions of ways things could be improved (what they do) or how they can make more of an impact and a better opinion on people? to take them serious? or ways of spreading the word in a less " forcing " mannor?

all ideas and opinions and "constructive" critism etc goes down better than insulting them (not saying you did this is to anyone who is thinking about it) etc. if you dont like the way they do something. or think it should be done in a different way. say so rather than just having digs.

you missed the point, I'm saying there isn't anything they can do to improve it

Guest Invicta_Toon

Like it or not the problem didn't arise because of the stadium expansion, the problem has came as a result of over-priced tickets that stop younger lads like myself from getting to the game. Young lads like myself are the ones who make the majority of the noise, it's a fact. I, like many my age will attend games for a day out with the lads, and the majority of the Toon Ultras are season ticket holders too. We don't just go to the cup games and friendlies.

Until, either A) The ticket prices go down or B) Older blokes get behind us...your right we will struggle. That is unless C) the club decide to repay their fans for once and create a singing section.

I too have my doubts about our organisation, but i hope one day we can say that we achieved something good for Newcastle United.

you're just plain wrong tbh. I was there in the Keegan era and everyone was making noise, from the smallest kid to the old gits. And the expansion did make it worse, as it facilitated the creation of the platinum club etc, populated by a bunch of cunts, and shoving real fans up into the gods

True, the 'old' stadium, i.e. the 36,500 seater had a fantastic atmosphere during the Keegan years (in the main). Similarly at times under Dalglish even (Barca at home in the CL for example). I think something close to that could be achieved in the current SJP but it'll take some fantastic performances on the pitch from genuinely class players to bring that about. The Ultras' intentions are admirable but I think their achievements are bound to be limited.

Also, you're known as mongs because most who come on here claiming to represent you act like mongs, you can't blame people for getting the wrong idea if that's all they see.

This.

The OP is the 1st TU member to come on and act reasonably and its about time imo.

The noise issue though does stem from two things. The ground expansion, and fans growing up. Were not as daft as we were in the KK days. Most are drained and have seen under performing over paid players for the past decade while the board make one poor decision after another. Its hard to sing for that. The noise won't come back until we win something imo. Sounds fickle, but the core of SJP cannot be arsed to sing their hearts out only for it to be thrown back in their faces again and again.

I'm glad sections of the fans are doing their damn hardest to ignite the stadium, but its the club as a whole, and that will not change very easily. Even under SBR when we were winning, the volume went up but didn't reach what it was. It was a special era, a special time to be a fan, its over and we'll never get it back but don't stop trying and when the club starts to deliver to its fans i'm sure the noise will be back to a respectable level, just nowhere near what it was under KK.

you missed the point, I'm saying there isn't anything they can do to improve it

theres always a way to change/improve something. its just a matter of finding out what that is and how to do it

Hi, i'm new to these forums but have been aware of them for some time.

I have only read one of the threads on here, and it was the recent one about Dyer being booed. I wouldn't have signed up to these forums if i hadn't have read about events that occured involving one of your members, but now i know of what happened, here i am.

Yes, i know what you are thinking, "not another Toon Ultra", "here's another mong to make a tit of himself", etc.. But i'm not here to slag anyone off as such, just try and build a bridge so to speak.

Firstly, in regards to that thread, i would like to give my own personal view on the booing of Kieron Dyer.

In my own honest opinion, i think he has been a complete waste of money. If he had have stuck to being an olympic sprinter he would have gained more fame, without a doubt. As i believe the only skill/ability he has is to run. After stories of him getting his knob out, burning cash in front of people in pubs/clubs, and of his little spat with Sir Bobby (i think) about playing on the right, i can safely say i despise the money grabbing c***. However, i would never boo him, he's in black and white, and until the day he isn't i wont boo him.

On the other hand, those who wish to boo him have every right, everyone pays good hard earned money (whether it's their own or another family members/friends) and each individual has the right to boo whatever they choose.

At times, i find the booing pathetic, some people overly use the gesture, however in the case of Dyer i think it's safe to say that he has every right to be booed after getting payed over the odds for unrealised potential, and injury after injury.

Anyways, that's that point out of the way, and it's not the main reason i am here....

There seems to be an ongoing saga between the Toon Ultras (of which i am a member) and Newcastle Online, and i am getting a bit sick of it really, so i just want my feelings to be known.

I'm sure many a time an Ultra has came on here and maybes acted immaturely or innapropriately. However, the actions of some people on this forum will be no worse than what occurs on our own.

I would like to ask everyone who reads this thread the following questions;

Despite getting high attendances every week, do we have the most passionate fans in Britain, Europe, or the world?

My answer is simply, NO.

Secondly, is the question;

Do you want it to improve?

My answer, YES.

In addition to this, i would like to add that anyone who doesn't want the atmosphere to return to what it was like in the Keegan era doesn't belong at a football match.

This is a rather stereotypical view, but i feel as though we (The Toon Ultras) are the only ones who are really passionate about "bringing the noise back" and you (Newcastle Online) are the people stopping us from getting anywhere.

"How?" you may ask. Well, i think it's simply because this site has an incredibly high amount of members, and alot of which are around the 25+ age group. Not only that, but alot of members on this forum have alot of influence over fellow supporters. It seems a select few of you seem to have the opinion that we are "charvas","Mongs", "the riff raff" etc and when you post on here it generates a stereotypical view of the Toon Ultras.

I am also under the impression that alot of members off these forums are the type who would say that standing and singing is a "been there, done that, got the t-shirt" sort of thing.

That is fair enough, you don't have to sing at games, you do as you choose, you pay your hard earned money too. But if you expect the youth of today, to sit their in silence, i would advise you to invest in Sky/Cable and watch it in the comfort of your armchair. Don't deny younger lads the chance to do what alot of you probably did and stand and support your team. At 17, i may seem a little inexperienced, but i have heard of many stories about the old Leazes End being the place to go for a good sing-song.

"Peanuts a tanner a bag, the more you eat the more you..sha-la-la-la McNamee"

Anyways, i'm not here to keep ranting on about you all, i'm sure your all a canny bunch of lads/lasses. Basically, the Toon Ultras are NOT a bunch of charvas, and in fact the majority of our site don't wish to be associated with them, hence the move from the Leazes Level 7 beside the away fans to the South East (Strawberry) Corner. Charvas are as much a problem to us as they are to you, so please don't label us as that.

The main core of Toon Ultras is aged around 15-21, and alot of us are currently finishing up school and attending 6th form/college/university. Despite that we do have a good number of older members, who post less regularly.

We try our hardest to make as much noise as we can, not "shoes off if you love the toon", "shearer" or anything else that is frowned upon by you lot, but by making good new songs up like:

This club is my club,

Made out of 2 clubs,

To form united,

Oh what a great club,

We'll always be there,

Win, lose, we don't care,

We are the Geordies,

of N-U-F-C....

We lack numbers however, this is where you come in. You have the numbers, you have the older, maturer (is that a word) members and with your help we can both strive forward to once again make St James' a fortress.

So can you please stop lying about us (you know who you are), stereotyping us, and putting is down. I don't want to sound cocky here, but i try my best to do anything possible for the Toon Ultras. You may have seen the Big Sams Black and White Army banner, or the NU (Toon Ultras Crest) FC one at the home friendlies. Well i painted them pretty much by myself. I don't want a Blue Peters badge or compliments, but what i do want is to see the same sort of effort being put into getting behind our team, if not by all of you, by the majority.

So instead of moaning about us, please can some of you give us the opportunity to prove ourselves, and maybes help us promote ourself, then like i say, St James' will once again become a feared place.

Thanks for reading, (anyone who did  :lol:)

Your new member.  8)

If all the members were like you, Toon Ultras would be a roaring success. Unfortunately, they aren't.

you're just plain wrong tbh. I was there in the Keegan era and everyone was making noise, from the smallest kid to the old gits. And the expansion did make it worse, as it facilitated the creation of the platinum club etc, populated by a bunch of c***s, and shoving real fans up into the gods

"Shoving real fans up into the gods", that would be where the Ultras are seated on league games. In addition to that, the majority of Level 7 is made up of youths, people who want to go and sing. The Leazes Level 7 is the loudest part of the ground on a league game, even if half the ground can't hear them because they are so high up.

But if you claim the real fans are shoved up into the gods, i am assuming you mean us? The ones who go to make a noise? Therefore, if that is the case, why do youmake derogatory comments about us as often. You might as well have said our cause is pointless and will get us nowhere in your previous posts, but if you do want an atmosphere? what are you doing to try and improve it???

Maybes your sick of trying, as other members have said, and i totally agree, the KK days were something special, and it will be hard to get that sort of atmosphere again. But supporting a football club is 2 ways, the club needs to produce the goods to get the fans going, and the fans need to produce the goods to get the team going.

After mediocre performances last season and a mediocre finish, i understand some of the older lads being a bit dissappointed and fed up. But now we are under a new board, with a new manager, and new players. People need to stop being so pessimistic and try to give them their vocal backing.

Guest Invicta_Toon

you're just plain wrong tbh. I was there in the Keegan era and everyone was making noise, from the smallest kid to the old gits. And the expansion did make it worse, as it facilitated the creation of the platinum club etc, populated by a bunch of c***s, and shoving real fans up into the gods

"Shoving real fans up into the gods", that would be where the Ultras are seated on league games. In addition to that, the majority of Level 7 is made up of youths, people who want to go and sing. The Leazes Level 7 is the loudest part of the ground on a league game, even if half the ground can't hear them because they are so high up.

But if you claim the real fans are shoved up into the gods, i am assuming you mean us? The ones who go to make a noise? Therefore, if that is the case, why do youmake derogatory comments about us as often. You might as well have said our cause is pointless and will get us nowhere in your previous posts, but if you do want an atmosphere? what are you doing to try and improve it???

Maybes your sick of trying, as other members have said, and i totally agree, the KK days were something special, and it will be hard to get that sort of atmosphere again. But supporting a football club is 2 ways, the club needs to produce the goods to get the fans going, and the fans need to produce the goods to get the team going.

After mediocre performances last season and a mediocre finish, i understand some of the older lads being a bit dissappointed and fed up. But now we are under a new board, with a new manager, and new players. People need to stop being so pessimistic and try to give them their vocal backing.

I meant the people who used to be in the west stand who got moved, I doubt that's any of your lot.

it's about time you realised that singing is a natural spontaneous thing, no-one is going to be coerced into doing it by a group, and if anything, your constant criticism is only going to piss people off more, and put them less in the mood.

sing if you want, but stop crowing on like you're some missionaries come to bring light to the masses, we fucking know what we're about

I meant the people who used to be in the west stand who got moved, I doubt that's any of your lot.

it's about time you realised that singing is a natural spontaneous thing, no-one is going to be coerced into doing it by a group, and if anything, your constant criticism is only going to piss people off more, and put them less in the mood.

sing if you want, but stop crowing on like you're some missionaries come to bring light to the masses, we f****** know what we're about

The West Stand-The Milburn, well i've never known that to be where the REAL fans go. I've always known it to be in the corners and the Gallowgate and Leazes.

I am obviously not pissing people off, there have been about 15 other posts in here that aren't being as cynical as yours, and are actually showing a level of understanding that you seem to be unable to gain.

If you know what you're about, then you would realise that we get a reputation for having great fans when really they're not that great at all. People like you, who can sit and criticise all day, but never gain an understanding are the problem at home games. You may as well go and sit in your armchair, you'd save hundreds, if not thogusands.

On the other hand, i understand your points that it (singing) is done out of spontanaity, and i agree to a certain extent. But i tell you what, if you type 'red ultras', 'green brigade', etc into google and you see what some other British clubs are doing to improve their atmospheres, you'll be rather surprised at the huge positive affect on a crowd a 'ultra' type group can have. By a few simple displays, or a group constantly singing, others around the ground (like myself on league home games) feel more comfortable to stand and sing alone, or voice their opinions.

I sit in the Leazes Middle Tier on league games, and despite the good view and the friendly people around me, i feel uncomfortable. Why? Because there are too many people who siot their doing f*** all until they boo because they haven't been entertained. The East Stand (where you probably sit) is also full of these types of people.

In fact, me and my dad stand at points every game chanting away and everyone around us loves us, not that it matters...because what i would prefer was that more people sang around me.

Without the 'ultra' type groups that are emerging from British clubs, i think you will slowly see a working class passionate sport, turn more and more into a middle class pantomime. Ticket sales will decrease and atmospheres will keep on going slowly down the drain.

However, i don't see us as missionaries, who are the only ones to make an atmosphere, like we are some sort of Gods. I see us as an excuse for the passionate fans to come out of their shells and voice there opinions and back their team. I reckon there is probably at least 8 or 9 thousand of those in St James' if not more! The 'ultras' group is small, and needs backing off the likes of you. Why else would i be on here???

The Milburn (being the oldest after the East Stand) probably contained people who'd had their season tickets longer than anyone else (apart from the East Stand) before they were thrown out actually. They aren't the REAL fans though. That's the sort of clueless shite that makes people think you're just daft kids.