Goals Goals Goals...

hakka

Ok... so how many goals do people expect from our players this year?

This is how we have done in recent EPL years.

04/05 = 45

05/06 = 46

06/07 = 38

Surely we will score more this season.  We just seem to have a bunch of players who can score a fair few of them.  Here's what I'm hoping for in the EPL...

Mark Viduka = 10

Obafemi Martins = 10

Michael Owen = 10

Alan Smith = 5

Albert Luque = 5

Shola Ameobi = 5

Joey Barton = 5

James Milner = 5

Geremi = 3

Emre = 3

Damien Duff = 3

Charles N'Zogbia = 3

Steven Taylor = 3

That's 70 goals.  Should be plenty of firepower to get us in to top 6.  What is really an unknown quantity is how our defence will cope given its new players that need time to gel.  I'm hoping quality players who have just met play better than last years rear guard.  We let in 47 goals last season.  Spurs let in 54! So I'm hoping that we will defend better to make our extra firepower earn more points.  We were 16 points off a Top 6 spot last season.  We also lost 5 and drew 7 at home which is something I'm hoping we will improve on.  There's 29 points up for grabs there if we improve on last season home form.  We also only won 36.8% of our home games.  That's awful really, SJP must be a fortress that teams fear.  Even Boro managed 10 wins at home, with Reading, Pompey and Everton chalking up 11 home wins.  I have a good feeling we will be able to score enough goals to get 11+ home wins this season and push for a top 6 spot.  Fingers crossed...

(edited to add Alan Smith)

Guest johnson293

Ok... so how many goals do people expect from our players this year?

This is how we have done in recent EPL years.

04/05 = 45

05/06 = 46

06/07 = 38

Surely we will score more this season.  We just seem to have a bunch of players who can score a fair few of them.  Here's what I'm hoping for in the EPL...

Mark Viduka = 10

Obafemi Martins = 10

Michael Owen = 10

Albert Luque = 5

Shola Ameobi = 5

Joey Barton = 5

James Milner = 5

Geremi = 3

Emre = 3

Damien Duff = 3

Charles N'Zogbia = 3

Steven Taylor = 3

That's 65 goals.  Should be plenty of firepower to get us in to top 6.  What is really an unknown quantity is how our defence will cope given its new players that need time to gel.  I'm hoping quality players who have just met play better than last years rear guard.  We let in 47 goals last season.  Spurs let in 54! So I'm hoping that we will defend better to make our extra firepower earn more points.  We were 16 points off a Top 6 spot last season.  We also lost 5 and drew 7 at home which is something I'm hoping we will improve on.  There's 29 points up for grabs there if we improve on last season home form.  We also only won 36.8% of our home games.  That's awful really, SJP must be a fortress that teams fear.  Even Boro managed 10 wins at home, with Reading, Pompey and Everton chalking up 11 home wins.  I have a good feeling we will be able to score enough goals to get 11+ home wins this season and push for a top 6 spot.  Fingers crossed...

You dont think Smith will score any then?

if viduka, owen or martins dared to go beyond 10 goals each we're looking at 100 goals easy. and considering our new defence will leak next to nothing, we're looking like title certs with a goal difference of about +80.

if viduka, owen or martins dared to go beyond 10 goals each we're looking at 100 goals easy. and considering our new defence will leak next to nothing, we're looking like title certs with a goal difference of about +80.

Can't decide if that's a joke or not  :idiot2:

what if they all score 20 each Vid,Owen and Martins???Looking at top 4.

well if all 3 did score 20 goals each in the Premier League then that would be 22 more goals than our entire squad scored last season.

In reality, and presuming no major injuries I would expect more like:

Mark Viduka = 7

Obafemi Martins = 10

Michael Owen = 15

Albert Luque = 5

Shola Ameobi = 5

Alan Smith = 5

That gives us 47 goals. Then it's just about how many the others can chip in with.

In reality, and presuming no major injuries I would expect more like:

Mark Viduka = 7

Obafemi Martins = 10

Michael Owen = 15

Albert Luque = 5

Shola Ameobi = 5

Alan Smith = 5

That gives us 47 goals. Then it's just about how many the others can chip in with.

that's 2 goals more in total than what I predicted using same players.

How do you think the rest of our squad will do?

I think that Martins will get 15 in the premiership i reckon so will Owen if he stays fit.

Viduka can manage 10, but then again he has to stay fit. i think Ameobi should target 10 but i think he will get 8 and depending on where Smith plays maybes 5-10 goals is realistic. In all competitions i have no idea how many players will get.

Not sure about how many each player will get but looking at the players - on paper - they should get close to what's being predicted.

Hoy in the other players (defenders) and if we keep (quite a few) more clean sheets than last year, it could be a canny year coming up. :celb:

It would be nice to see some goals from midfiled or at least the midfield working as a unit to move the ball upfront and causing confusion between the oppositions defence and midfielders.  Even switch the two wingers over (like Solano and Robert used to do) so that when they are running towards goal and cutting in, the favored foot to hit the ball is the one with the most effect.  But it isnt just from attacking when the balls in play, I still cant believe we didnt manage to score at least one free kick in the whole of last season. 

i believe the key to our forwards actually hitting the net as many times mentioned, will be injuries. we cannot have another season of losing owen, then to see viduka break down and leave it all to martins. we need all of them fighting fit, having competition for places. i'm confident of that happening under the new regime, however as we speak there are quite a few injured already.