José Enrique

eliassenfredrik

I personally think that Pardew was probably given the option of either securing Tiote or Enrique on a long term deal, but couldn't have both.

I could be completely wrong, but if the club valued Jose so much, we would have made him an offer to match his ability and performances this season.

I personally think that Pardew was probably given the option of either securing Tiote or Enrique on a long term deal, but couldn't have both.

I could be completely wrong, but if the club valued Jose so much, we would have made him an offer to match his ability and performances this season.

Is that based on anything?

I know Ashley is dodgy to say the least, but I wouldn't think he would make a manager choose which one of his best players to keep. Each deal will be considered on its merits.

I love how people just assume he would sign if we give him x amount, nobody knows what he wants ffs, what if its not about the money?

What else could it be about, in your opinion?

Footballers all over the world change clubs for various reasons, not always money related. I dont know his reason but it could be anything from change of scenery, ambition to win things, international recognition etc. To simply say we can buy his future is naive when nobody actually knows. Of course the easiest way to use this situation against Ashley is to shout 'money'

You're right, it's easy to blame Ashley et al. He probably does want to leave for a variety of reasons, think of what he's been through at this club. Almost constant managerial changes ... relegation. The question we have to ask is why wasn't he offered a contract at the beginning of this season? As soon as a player of his quality has less than 18 months left on his contract, the club is entering deep water.

Have we progressed in the four seasons he has been here? Are we really showing any sign of progressing? Are Liverpool?

Is that based on anything?

I know Ashley is dodgy to say the least, but I wouldn't think he would make a manager choose which one of his best players to keep. Each deal will be considered on its merits.

Based on absolutely f*ck all, just a feeling i get for some reason.

Probably completely wrong, but there we go.

The question we have to ask is why wasn't he offered a contract at the beginning of this season?

do we know categorically he wasn't?

and also more than likely they wanted to see where we ended up before handing out a massive long contract again and being tied to it - in the relegation season jose's stock was nowhere near as high as it is now so i can see the reasoning behind waiting myself

problem is we'll more than likely end up being bitten by the decision now as he's had a good season and big clubs with money are looking at him

Guest Roger Kint

I love how people just assume he would sign if we give him x amount, nobody knows what he wants ffs, what if its not about the money?

What else could it be about, in your opinion?

Footballers all over the world change clubs for various reasons, not always money related. I dont know his reason but it could be anything from change of scenery, ambition to win things, international recognition etc. To simply say we can buy his future is naive when nobody actually knows. Of course the easiest way to use this situation against Ashley is to shout 'money'

You're right, it's easy to blame Ashley et al. He probably does want to leave for a variety of reasons, think of what he's been through at this club. Almost constant managerial changes ... relegation. The question we have to ask is why wasn't he offered a contract at the beginning of this season? As soon as a player of his quality has less than 18 months left on his contract, the club is entering deep water.

Have we progressed in the four seasons he has been here? Are we really showing any sign of progressing? Are Liverpool?

What he has been through? From a shaky start he has come through as a stand out Premier league LB at this club, yes its been tough with all the upheaval here but he did so picking up £40k+ a week while most of us pay a fortune for the same priviledge. As for the contract we opened talks and he said wait til we were safe, would that have been different in the summer? Maybe but its just as likely he would have said the same, again we dont know his motives so to lay blame at anyones door is daft.

What have Liverpool got to do with it anyway? They are no different to us in that a bigger club at present took their World and European champion off them, a bigger clube took Alonso and Mascherano off them it happens in football. Money talks.

... a bigger club at present took their World and European champion off them, a bigger clube took Alonso and Mascherano off them it happens in football. Money talks.

I think this a point we need to remember when the inevitable backlash starts.

We have progressed tremendously this season. And we got a solid transfer kitty. Most of the so called experts expected relegation. And I was happy as long as we stayed up. Now however our current positon is obviously not good enough. Who the hell expected that Nolan would score 12 goals, or that we would sign HBA or making the bargain of the century in Tiote. Isn't that progress?

Colocho: You got to define progress. If you want silverware regardless of the cost (in other words: paying inflated  wages, buying players we cannot afford etc.) we have not progressed. However, if you on the other hand define progress as focus on talents, a sane wage policy and good economical footing we have made huge steps compared to our previous situation. Getting our economy under control is what eventually  gives us the  results on the pitch. Many clubs have the opposite thought process: They believe that spending every cent on the squad that will automatically lead to results and profit. What they tend to forget is that they've initiated a spiral that will swallow each cent earned, as long as the club is not dominating the league year in and year out, which is not very likely.

The only way for us to succeed is to wheel and deal for a period.. Selling Enrique for £15 mill is not a step back, unless we're not able to buy proper replacements. Hopefully that will increase our squad depth which enables us to compete for the european spots.

Guest Roger Kint

After whats happened in the last couple of years it doesnt feel like it but 4+ points in the last 6 games actually is progress compared to the last five seasons :shifty:

I'd have gotten rid of Enrique years ago if I'd realised before now how easy it would be to replace him.

I'm more concerned about who the club have in mind as a replacement. Can honestly see us signing a Van Aanholt type player, hoping that they'll be good enough.

I'd have gotten rid of Enrique years ago if I'd realised before now how easy it would be to replace him.

I've never said it will be easy, but it's possible. Unlike before, we now do our groundwork before buying any player, and we have a good network that hopefully will notice players worth purchasing.

I'm more concerned about who the club have in mind as a replacement. Can honestly see us signing a Van Aanholt type player, hoping that they'll be good enough.

Imo Aanholt is a good replacement. From the few games I've seen from him, he's already as good as Enrique offensively. The question is: can he cope defensively?

We have progressed tremendously this season. And we got a solid transfer kitty. Most of the so called experts expected relegation. And I was happy as long as we stayed up. Now however our current positon is obviously not good enough. Who the hell expected that Nolan would score 12 goals, or that we would sign HBA or making the bargain of the century in Tiote. Isn't that progress?

Colocho: You got to define progress. If you want silverware regardless of the cost (in other words: paying inflated  wages, buying players we cannot afford etc.) we have not progressed. However, if you on the other hand define progress as focus on talents, a sane wage policy and good economical footing we have made huge steps compared to our previous situation. Getting our economy under control is what eventually  gives us the  results on the pitch. Many clubs have the opposite thought process: They believe that spending every cent on the squad that will automatically lead to results and profit. What they tend to forget is that they've initiated a spiral that will swallow each cent earned, as long as the club is not dominating the league year in and year out, which is not very likely.

The only way for us to succeed is to wheel and deal for a period.. Selling Enrique for £15 mill is not a step back, unless we're not able to buy proper replacements. Hopefully that will increase our squad depth which enables us to compete for the european spots.

You would make a good polititian, you lulled me momentarily into thinking selling our best players was a good idea.

Imo Aanholt is a good replacement. From the few games I've seen from him, he's already as good as Enrique offensively. The question is: can he cope defensively?

Fucking hell man, I was being facetious. Would you seriously be happy with Van Aanholt as a replacement for Enrique?

I know you were joking, but I'm serious :) Aanholt has impressed me each time I've seen him. Sadly for him, he got Cole in his way. He got everything a modern fb needs. Pace, technique and his crossers are excellent. He was one Chelsea's best in the cup-game against us. 

I know you were joking, but I'm serious :) Aanholt has impressed me each time I've seen him. Sadly for him, he got Cole in his way. He got everything a modern fb needs. Pace, technique and his crossers are excellent. He was one Chelsea's best in the cup-game against us. 

He's the kind of player we should sign as back-up to the new LB.