José Enrique

eliassenfredrik

Pretty easy in theory, though I don't know the answer to the previous question. We'll have to wait for him to post some pictures or something to confirm.

To those of you who say we risk pushing him into a corner: NO pampering please, give him a sensible offer ( read: double/triple his wages up until 65.000ish?).

If he still wants to "leave his options open", he can fuck right off. Pulling on the black and white shirt is something most other young men his age would dream of and kill for.

Reminds me of Seb Larsson who also wanted to "leave his options open as it could mean up to 10.000 pounds a week difference to him".

Put me right off having him. No mercenaries please. Leaving options open translates to " I want moar moneyzz" in my book.

Except that wasn't true. NUFC had agreed a deal with Seb Larsson when Birmingham pulled the plug and called him back. It's why Routledge was allowed out on loan. Pardew said in the interview (when he was in the BBC Radio Newcastle studio) that a replacement had been sorted. Birmingham did to Larsson what NUFC did to Milner when he was off to Aston Villa.

Soon find out if that twitter is him or not, they'll do well to fake how he goes on :lol:

Not enough jajajajajajajajajajajajajajajajajajajajajajajajajajajajajaja!!!! for my liking.

He's been in no mood to be laughing these last few months. Body language etc.

Guest thenorthumbrian

Pulling on the black and white shirt is something most other young men his age would dream of and kill for.

Sadly that isn't true. Even players born on the banks of the Tyne will f*** off for the next big pay day.

Loyalty in football - doesn't exist, not amongst footballers. 

Guest fraser

That interview is so heavily cut that it's difficult to draw any conclusions about what he meant as opposed to what he said in a second language.

Guest Nikos34

Unless we show some ambition by spending money on quality players, José will leave and can we actually blame him?

The guy is class and would slot comfortably into any other team out there. He'd look even better when surrounded by other fantastic players and he knows this himself. He wants to play in Europe and earn caps for his country. He won't get that with us if Ashley continues with this 'small club' mentality.

We had the best centre forward in the country, who was still under contract for 5 years and a Geordie, and we let him go. So how on earth can we expect a talented ambitious Spaniard to want to stay in an average team that won't improve?

Yes we have thrown stupid money around on absolute garbage in the past but that doesn't mean we should become tight when it comes to holding on to a genuinely class player. He has proved himself with us already so it's not a gamble. Other clubs want him because he's brilliant so we should fight them financially for him. If we're not interested in having the best players possible then what's the point in trying to compete at all?

Unless we show some ambition by spending money on quality players, José will leave and can we actually blame him?

The guy is class and would slot comfortably into any other team out there. He'd look even better when surrounded by other fantastic players and he knows this himself. He wants to play in Europe and earn caps for his country. He won't get that with us if Ashley continues with this 'small club' mentality.

We had the best centre forward in the country, who was still under contract for 5 years and a Geordie, and we let him go. So how on earth can we expect a talented ambitious Spaniard to want to stay in an average team that won't improve?

Yes we have thrown stupid money around on absolute garbage in the past but that doesn't mean we should become tight when it comes to holding on to a genuinely class player. He has proved himself with us already so it's not a gamble. Other clubs want him because he's brilliant so we should fight them financially for him. If we're not interested in having the best players possible then what's the point in trying to compete at all?

so carroll and enrique and barton, no doubt colo when his contract hits it's last year should all get bumper rises as they'd done well and that sets the standrads for players coming in and the roundabout begins again.

Every other club seems to manage it. As did we in the past, prior to going silly.

do they ? it seems like there is a constant gravitation from those clubs lower down the league with less cash at their disposal to those higher up with more cash. the lower clubs try to build and hope one of theb bigger clubs fucks up in order to sneek into their place and get the benefits from that position.

re bumper pay rises....he used the term "we shouldn't become tight " which i took to mean we should pay them whatever it takes to keep them.

You mean you used a straw man. Nice of you to admit it.

How much cash do we have? Apart from the British record transfer fee we just received, third biggest stadium in the country and a huge, fanatical fanbase.

We should be acting as we are - one of the bigger clubs in this country. You make it sound like we're fucking nothing, it's embarrassing.

re bumper pay rises....he used the term "we shouldn't become tight " which i took to mean we should pay them whatever it takes to keep them.

You mean you used a straw man. Nice of you to admit it.

How much cash do we have? Apart from the British record transfer fee we just received, third biggest stadium in the country and a huge, fanatical fanbase.

You make it sound like we're f***ing nothing, it's embarrassing.

what does he mean by that if not give them more ? and good of you to point out that about the third biggest stadium etc as it all new to me you see.......we've also had quite big losses over the past few years (pre and post fred) and look to possibly break even this season, that doesn't mean we have no debts oweing to the owner or whatever but that they aren't getting bigger. there may well be extra cash there but it's a balancing act between pay rises for some,the level of rise for others and possible incomings. for what it's worth with enrique i'd think we can offer him as much pay as most other teams but he'll go somewhere that offers him more on the pitch than we can right now and unless you can spell out how we should reach the champs league next season then it's a pointless exercise.

The way our structure is, we can probably afford to attract maybe top players from the French, Dutch, Portuguese League's, etc. but naturally if a bigger club comes in with money we can't afford after that, we know what'll happen.

Same applies for Spurs, for Everton, for Aston Villa...hell, even Liverpool sold three of their best players to Barcelona, Real Madrid & Chelsea respectively.

I assume he means he thinks we should pay the going rate for one of the best players in his position in the league. If we're not prepared to punch our weight then what's the point? We will never attract or keep any good players otherwise. No good players, no improvement.

That's not the same thing as paying them to the point where we instantly 'do a Portsmouth/Leeds', which is the standard scaremongering bullshit put out whenever anyone suggests we try and keep a good player.

I assume he means he thinks we should pay the going rate for one of the best players in his position in the league. If we're not prepared to punch our weight then what's the point? We will never attract or keep any good players otherwise. No good players, no improvement.

That's not the same thing as paying them to the point where we instantly 'do a Portsmouth/Leeds', which is the standard scaremongering bullshit put out whenever anyone suggests we try and keep a good player.

whats the going rate ? how do you know we aren't offering it ?

so carroll and enrique and barton, no doubt colo when his contract hits it's last year should all get bumper rises as they'd done well and that sets the standrads for players coming in and the roundabout begins again.

And if we hadn't spent beyond our means before relegation, we might have been in a position to do that.

Yet we are in position to spend 3-4 mil and 50k on wages on Stevie Ireland. Apparently.. If there's money available to buy some expensive crocked mentalist, I'd expect us to be overly generous to a player who has earned the right to be the among the highest-paid in the club with his consistent displays. There's no excuse for not offering Jose an improved contract.. whether he'll sign it is another question..

thats if we follow the line of nikos and many others and give them enough to keep them,seemingly regardless of where the moneys coming from.

i was more clear in saying...

for what it's worth with enrique i'd think we can offer him as much pay as most other teams but he'll go somewhere that offers him more on the pitch than we can right now and unless you can spell out how we should reach the champs league next season then it's a pointless exercise.