José Enrique

eliassenfredrik

The previous board should shoulder most of the blame tbh, they dug the majority of the financial hole, Ashley may have helped deepen it a bit (but not by much) and at the end of the day, that's cost him, no-one else.

Thankfully he can afford it.

Absolute rubbish, while I'm as cynical as other regarding the new board, you can't blame the old baord for us becoming an unattractive club:

(a) I wouldn't say we're a partiuclarly unattractive club, we've just fallen down the packing order. That's down to a lack of European football and a recent relegation, the relegation is largely attributed to Ashley and Co and some of the disaterous decisions they made during the 08-09 season.

(b) Ashley has actually improved the financial well being of the club. While that's all well and good, it's been to our detrimiment on the pitch. His penny pinching means we're frequently short of the required quality, this implies a lack of ambition. It's no suprise a majority of quality football sides rack up big debts.

The "unattraction" followed on from our poverty, that is fully the responsibility of the old board. We were beyond skint and heading nowehere other than minus 10 points.

Circa £20 Million a year put in (interest free) is hardly penny pinching.

Yes football sides rack up big debts, but not one of them (excluding the leveraged buy out one's - who also make profits btw) had debts like ours. No other owner, outside of Fayed, has put in anything like Ashley has without charging for it - Lerner takes circa 15% of Villa's turnover a year in "charges" for his benevolence.

Ashley can be villified for many things, but financial commitment is not one of them.

I don't think Europa League would be a pull to keep him. He'll want Champions League.

He won't get that at Liverpool!

They're trying though, which is kinda the point.

Liverpool sold their best striker for 50M and bought one good replacement and one with potential and it seems to you "they are trying". We sold our best striker for 35M and are planning to buy replacements in the summer and yet we somehow show no ambition, such blatant double standards in interpretation! The least you could do is wait till the end of the summer transfer window before concluding  that we are going in a different direction from Liverpool.

Why wait when we can be negative now!

i've said this before like but some of us have been paying attention since ashley bought the club, not just this season. it's going to take a HUGE change in attitude to move us forward to the position where our best players want to stay for footballing reasons. some prefer to assume this attitude change has already happened without seeing any evidence, others are waiting to see it change, that's the difference.

and where did this 15 million bollocks come from? there's no way we're getting that, no way.

The previous board should shoulder most of the blame tbh, they dug the majority of the financial hole, Ashley may have helped deepen it a bit (but not by much) and at the end of the day, that's cost him, no-one else.

Thankfully he can afford it.

Absolute rubbish, while I'm as cynical as other regarding the new board, you can't blame the old baord for us becoming an unattractive club:

(a) I wouldn't say we're a partiuclarly unattractive club, we've just fallen down the packing order. That's down to a lack of European football and a recent relegation, the relegation is largely attributed to Ashley and Co and some of the disaterous decisions they made during the 08-09 season.

(b) Ashley has actually improved the financial well being of the club. While that's all well and good, it's been to our detrimiment on the pitch. His penny pinching means we're frequently short of the required quality, this implies a lack of ambition. It's no suprise a majority of quality football sides rack up big debts.

The "unattraction" followed on from our poverty, that is fully the responsibility of the old board. We were beyond skint and heading nowehere other than minus 10 points.

Circa £20 Million a year put in (interest free) is hardly penny pinching.

Yes football sides rack up big debts, but not one of them (excluding the leveraged buy out one's - who also make profits btw) had debts like ours. No other owner, outside of Fayed, has put in anything like Ashley has without charging for it - Lerner takes circa 15% of Villa's turnover a year in "charges" for his benevolence.

Ashley can be villified for many things, but financial commitment is not one of them.

His financial investment is top draw, but he still hasn't spent enough on  the first team squad.

Also relegation had a lot to do with us falling behind other clubs in terms of status, that was the fault of Ashley et al.

If he leaves which looks likely atm i would like to see Pardew going for a LB AND a new RB with the money we receive by selling him (depending on how much we get) We will never be as strong at LB as before with Enrique, but maybe by upgrading from Simpson to a better RB could make up for it at least a little? Cause Simpson's not good enough imo and we dont have any backup for RB either really.

Just hope that he wont end up at Liverpool!!!

I don't think relegation affected our status this season. I think we're where we are when Ashley took over.

We were ahead before we sacked Hughton, we've been behind since we sold Carroll.

I don't think relegation affected our status this season. I think we're where we are when Ashley took over.

We were ahead before we sacked Hughton, we've been behind since we sold Carroll.

What a convenient and self serving way of measuring our position. Let me try, we were behind before we sacked Hughton and we are now ahead after we appointed Pardew, bought HBA and gave Tiote a new contract. This is fun! :lol:

On the continent we're still viewed on a par with  the likes of Everton. If anything in France our reputation has increased since Ben Arfa came and their press regular link it's league's best players with us.

We're going to have to clear up which status we're talking about... I was running with 'popular Anglicized perception', myself. Admittedly some people/places won't even now know who Carroll is, but then they didn't even know we used to sell on people like Waddle and Gascoigne, so we hadn't risen much over the prior couple of decades in their eyes. Still think there are more tremors following it which will see them learn, as I of course expect more Carroll-style departures from the club. It's a hard stigma to break.

What a convenient and self serving way of measuring our position. Let me try, we were behind before we sacked Hughton and we are now ahead after we appointed Pardew, bought HBA and gave Tiote a new contract. This is fun! :lol:

I don't remember the rest of the country saying we were consolidating our reputation as a stable, sensible club where players can concentrate on improving their games when we swapped Hughton for Pardew, and I don't remember the rest of the country saying we were heading upward to our traditional position in natural order of things as a leading club when we sealed the second Tiote contract in 6 months, but ok.

Even in this country then. I bet if you asked fans of any other club if we're as big a laughing stock and mess as 2 or even 4 years ago, they'd say no.

Laughing stock I'll give you. But they also see us as less important (perhaps there's some relation in there).

Obviously reputation and status are impossible to gauge, but surely it was as low as it has ever been in our recent history following the 08-09 season.

Certainly could have been, but amazingly we just about got away with it. Mike Ashley covering our debts so we only sold players most of us were already wanting chucked played it's part (no embarrassing, symbolic departures like Alan Smith (of Leeds to Man Utd I mean...)), as did the third highest attendance in the country, Hughton managing a press black out after Carroll broke Taylor's jaw etc. Partly good luck, partly good sense. Altogether though, I'd definitely say we were given more popular credit by the 10th game of this season than we were in the 30th of 08/09, though, which was my point.*

My second point, though, is that nevertheless the Carroll sale struck a chord with people, not just our supporters, but our players, other clubs and the like, that hadn't been struck for 20 odd years.

*Edit: Actually, no it wasn't, it was about when Ashley took over. I stand by my essential argument, though. Somehow or other, during our year in Division 2 we managed to cleanse ourselves of our latter Shepherd/Hall year sins like dragging a tearful Michael Owen out in front of a mentally handicapped crowd. We came back with a refreshed reputation, and having still managed to retain a lot of our good bits. Then I think we spoilt it again by returning to old and even older habits.

Well we're one win away from our second best season since Sir Bobby so I'd say we're on the up for the first time in a good while. Even if we don't win we're back on a par with our average league finish the last 7 years anyway. We're no longer a club where people on the way down from the 'big clubs' see us as a big payday and easy ride. The people who've came recently genuinely seem thrilled to join us and represent the club, and I think we'll see another 3 or 4 like that again this summer, with or without  Enrique.

What a convenient and self serving way of measuring our position. Let me try, we were behind before we sacked Hughton and we are now ahead after we appointed Pardew, bought HBA and gave Tiote a new contract. This is fun! :lol:

I don't remember the rest of the country saying we were consolidating our reputation as a stable, sensible club where players can concentrate on improving their games when we swapped Hughton for Pardew, and I don't remember the rest of the country saying we were heading upward to our traditional position in natural order of things as a leading club when we sealed the second Tiote contract in 6 months, but ok.

That's the point, my measurement is as subjective as yours, they are both designed to fit our predetermined conclusion/position.

Even in this country then. I bet if you asked fans of any other club if we're as big a laughing stock and mess as 2 or even 4 years ago, they'd say no.

We were a laughinig stock 6 months ago in this country and it seems we're in that position every time the club make a major decision.

I was Googling last night to see if Carroll ever partnered Rossi in our reserves together (don't ask), and it brought up a few messageboards, one I remember clearly was a Celtic one, saying we were mad for rejecting £23m from Liverpool for Carroll. That was obviously in the morning. I don't think anyone laughed at us, but if you look around many questioned Liverpool. As for the managerial appointment fair enough but he's done well so moot point.

Guest Heneage

We accepted a £35m bid for a player who had shown half a seasons worth of good performances. We stand to get half of what Man Utd got for Ronaldo a player that scored more goals than some teams score in a season.

That's the point, my measurement is as subjective as yours, they are both designed to fit our predetermined conclusion/position.

Social status is a subjective thing, that's obvious, but measurement of the actual attitudes towards something can be pretty straightforward. It's not just a case of making random statements you can't back up and assuming you won't get pulled up on them.

Not sure what my predetermined conclusion is supposed to be - if church bells had rung declaring how savvy we were for hiring Pardew, I would have just thought people are stupid, and said as much. I wouldn't have pretended they actually agreed with me, or changed my opinion to fit in with them, which logically you seem to be implying.

I was Googling last night to see if Carroll ever partnered Rossi in our reserves together (don't ask), and it brought up a few messageboards, one I remember clearly was a Celtic one, saying we were mad for rejecting £23m from Liverpool for Carroll. That was obviously in the morning. I don't think anyone laughed at us, but if you look around many questioned Liverpool. As for the managerial appointment fair enough but he's done well so moot point.

I meant the sacking of a manager who had brought us up from the Championship at the first attempt.

Social status is a subjective thing, that's obvious, but measurement of the actual attitudes towards something can be pretty straightforward. It's not just a case of making random statements you can't back up and assuming you won't get pulled up on them.

Not sure what my predetermined conclusion is supposed to be - if church bells had rung declaring how savvy we were for hiring Pardew, I would have just thought people are stupid, and said as much. I wouldn't have pretended they actually agreed with me, or changed my opinion to fit in with them, which logically you seem to be implying.

:thup:

This is a very difficult situation for both the club and Enrique. Enrique can do no wrong for me in this situation (unless he signed for Sunderland), he stuck with us during our relegation and for me, for someone with such obvious talent its a pretty ringing endorsement for his character to stick around in such difficult times.

My reading of this situation is that Enriques willingness to leave revolves around Euro 2012. He has one year to get into that squad and no matter how well he's played for us he's not gonna get the profile that perhaps he deserves, its profile which should be completely irrelevant but this doesnt seem to be the case.

I dont think he can afford to stay even one more year, in hindsight it would of been a good move to get his contract sorted after promotion so we protected ourselves a little more, its become the case and we shall pay the price for it.

Bytheway, I think that theres a staggering amount of delusion and arrogance in suggesting we should be "competing" with Liverpool. Spurs, perhaps but whether you like it or not Liverpool are a huge club and are street above us and have been for some time now.

EDIT: Just as a side note to this international ambition 'theory', if he doesn't make it to next years squad, he'll be 28 by the time he plays his first international tournament.

To be honest i think the "i want to play for spain" thing is a load of old bollocks. What he really means is "i want to play for a bigger club".

I'll admit he should have been called up already. But if he stayed with us and continued to turn in great performances, and improve further, i'm convinced he'd been capped sooner rather than later. He's too good not to be.