José Enrique

eliassenfredrik

f***ing hell, man, Ian. Just give it up.

f*** off man, if you don't want to have a discussion don't come on a forum.

I just don't want to read the same delusional crap on every page in every topic, man.

As said above I doubt very, very much that Enrique would have signed and went on like everything was hunky dory if offered another 10 grand a week, so the 'greed / players feel they deserve a rise with each new contract' argument holds no sway whatsoever for me, it's just another distraction from the blindingly fucking obvious.

f***ing hell, man, Ian. Just give it up.

f*** off man, if you don't want to have a discussion don't come on a forum.

I just don't want to read the same delusional crap on every page in every topic, man.

As I said, don't come on a forum.

:smug:

As said above I doubt very, very much that Enrique would have signed and went on like everything was hunky dory if offered another 10 grand a week, so the 'greed / players feel they deserve a rise with each new contract' argument holds no sway whatsoever for me, it's just another distraction from the blindingly fucking obvious.

It's not that blindingly obvious. Liverpool spent £100m on new signings and still drew at home to the mackems who were fielding Man U cast offs as their main stars.

Barton will leave Newcastle soon - Enrique

ESPNsoccernet staff

August 19, 2011

Liverpool newcomer Jose Enrique believes his former club Newcastle United are on a downward spiral following another turbulent summer at St James' Park.

Enrique cited a lack of ambition at the club as his primary reason for departing and says many others, including the ever-controversial Joey Barton, will also head for the exit door before the transfer window closes.

"It is not settled like it is here at Liverpool and I think that is why everyone is leaving Newcastle. I think Joey Barton will leave soon and Andy Carroll left in January and it is really, really hard for Alan Pardew. You want to be as high as you can in the table but maybe Newcastle don't think the same and that is why they sell their best players and that is why everyone moves.

"The dressing room at Newcastle is fantastic, it is amazing, 10 out of 10, but of course it is hard for the players when the best players leave," he told the Guardian.

The left-back aired his concerns ahead of Liverpool's showdown this Saturday with Arsenal, the club with whom the Toon drew 0-0 in their Premier League opener last weekend. Barton was involved in a scuffle which resulted in Gervinho being sent-off in that match, but Enrique pinpointed Newcastle's lack of depth rather than the controversy which seems to follow Barton as the main problem.

"I do worry," he said. "Not because we leave, because at some clubs good players leave. But because they have not signed another left-back, nothing. I'm worried not for the club, but more for the fans because they are amazing. They are like here, it's really similar. I have a lot of friends in the dressing room and they are a little bit nervous because they don't know what the club is going to do."

Enrique himself caused a stir amongst the Newcastle hierachy prior to his transfer when he criticised the club via Twitter, but the Spaniard says he will not be creating any similar problems for his new bosses.

"The Twitter ban was hard and I got fined two weeks' wages but I didn't have any problems because I only had one year left on my contract and I wouldn't have cared if I had stayed for that one year. But I'm really happy here. But Twitter just gives me problems and I won't tweet again."

Link: http://www.espn.co.uk/football/sport/story/106603.html?CMP=OTC-RSS

Another link: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/3761112/Jose-Enriques-amazing-parting-shot-at-Newcastle.html

Those comments only serve to make us a less attractive proposition to potential signings. I respect what he's trying to do but, at the moment, his words are doing more harm to our progress than good. What he needs to do now is keep quiet.

He should just shut the fuck up. If he liked and appreciated us so much, he would have at least stayed for another year. Instead he was happy to jump at the first opportunity to join another club and one that is still in the building process and by no means sure to be in the CL next year. I've got no problems with players joining another club for whatever reason but after they do that, they should stop pretending to be angels and like they still care for us. What a bloody hypocrite!

Looking past these comments from him, honestly, you can't blame him for leaving. Him being here another year would've resulted in us getting nowt. Hardly a good position to be in when our owner is named Mike Ashley.

A player is nearing the end of his contract, and he's offered more money by what is generally considered a bigger and more wealthy club. Nearly every player would opt to leave, and a certain number would feel the need to complain about their club's 'lack of ambition'. What they're actually referring to is lack of money (for both wages and transfer fees for new players) but 'ambition' obviously shifts the responsibility for the decision from the player to the club.

What people seem to be wilfully ignoring is the success that the club has had so far in attracting players of similar or better standard, who seem to think that the club is moving in the right direction and that the wages offered are okay. They're in a different category to players like Enrique, who we'd like to keep but who we don't want to offer a pay rise to, which is the usual step. So we go into negotiation offering the same money, which however large that package may be, is a bit of a take-it-or-leave-it message. No room for negotiation, except over the question of contract length, which can then become the sticking point (eg Barton, Nolan). The player doesn't get the opportunity to feel that they've 'won' anything, and as I said before the underlying message is that we're already paying you too much. Hence the unnecessary degree of carping that Enrique, Barton and to a lesser degree Nolan have indulged in.

The danger is that we'll have a playing squad divided between the old guard and the new. Enrique and Barton seem to be almost trying to spread the same degree of resentment that they feel, into the rest of the squad. They've made their decisions, why try to speak for other players?

Spot on Cronky, absolutely right. I don't blame players got looking for a better deal elsewhere, but trying to make it into some moral issue is taking it too far.

What if it was? What if Enrique is an ambitious guy? I have no doubt that lack of ambition and the sale of influental players had a big part in him opting to leave.

Guest Wally_McFool

Those comments only serve to make us a less attractive proposition to potential signings. I respect what he's trying to do but, at the moment, his words are doing more harm to our progress than good. What he needs to do now is keep quiet.

We are not an "attractive proposition" anymore because of the owner, not because of a few off the cuff comments by Enrique, Carroll Nolan etc.

Spot on Cronky, absolutely right. I don't blame players got looking for a better deal elsewhere, but trying to make it into some moral issue is taking it too far.

What if it was? What if Enrique is an ambitious guy? I have no doubt that lack of ambition and the sale of influental players had a big part in him opting to leave.

Maybe, that doesn't mean those sales were necessarily wrong. At the end of the day both of us are drawing different conclusions from the same evidence, so it's pointless arguing about it.

Being an ambitious guy means you're likely to leave your current employer if something better comes up, that's just a fact of life.

We are not an "attractive proposition" anymore because of the owner, not because of a few off the cuff comments by Enrique, Carroll Nolan etc.

But still good enough for Ben Arfa, Tiote, Cabaye, Marveaux, etc. We must be attractive to someone.

It's always going to be traumatic when a lot of players who aren't prepared to operate under our new wage structure leave to be replaced by those who are. It doesn't mean the whole idea is totally wrong.

Carroll was a major loss, but the bid was insane, and IMO Enrique was always likely to leave anyway. Most people on here were admitting that months ago IIRC. Only Nolan was a real surprise, and I can see why he wan't to secure his future with the current state of his legs and lungs.

A somewhat resigned barrage of criticism from NUFC fans this morning...

"Do I worry for Newcastle? Yes, I do. Not because players are leaving, because at some clubs good players do leave.

"But they have not signed another left-back, nothing.

"I'm worried not for the club but more for the fans. They are amazing. "

Precisely. Enrique saying what everyone already knows is really going to put players off coming here...

The club just want to stay in the division, spot on Jose.

It's all linked though isn't it? It's not one or the other. Football in a ridiculous financial orgy and Ashley being frugal. Not sticking up for the bloated bargain basement bastard but we're fans caught in the middle of two opposing trends. I'm not entirely sure these foreign prospects have as clear an idea as those obsessed with the club do. MA is perhaps not really on their radar until a 'low' wage offer is presented. I don't see why ex players feel the need to comment as while the level of harm it does can be debated, it certainly does no good. It's not like he has to worry or comment anymore.

It's all linked though isn't it? It's not one or the other. Football in a ridiculous financial orgy and Ashley being frugal. Not sticking up for the bloated bargain basement bastard but we're fans caught in the middle of two opposing trends.

Of course, and particularly at Newcastle we have a recent history of success bought of the back of unsustainable spending, which didn't lead to us becoming an established top 4 club. So the shock here is particularly jarring I reckon.

Everton have been told they can't lend any more money and have signed nobody, I'm sure we'll more clubs cutting back in the same way we are.