Big Sam targets 3 more signings

Guest SwissMagpie

Regardless of what team i would play, i'm convinced due to Allardyce's history and the players that he has brought in that Taylor is either going to be played at right back or isn't going to be first choice centre back. The reason for this is because Big Sam would prefer to rely on two more experianced players, such as Cacapa, Drago or Rozehnal.

Taylor was the best of our defenders last year and is obviously a great prospect for the future but the lad has a heluva lot to learn and i believe Allardyce has realised this.

He has a lot to learn, I'd agree. This is why we'be brought in Cacapa (vastly experienced) and Rozenhal (noted for his calmness on the field) to aid his development. With one of thse two organising the defence it will leave Taylor to be the all-action defender he seems destined to be.

We've got a fantastic young CB prospect on our hands, and a hometown boy to boot, I just don't see how he won't be made the centerpiece of our defence.

Can'tt seee Taylor learning a great deal as a CB by being stranded at full-back.

Rozehnal and Cacapa were not brought in solely to aid Taylors development. They've been brought in to play out right as first choice players.

Like anyone could possibly know that Skeletor.

There'll be competition for the spot I'm sure, and if Cacapa and Rozenhal prove in training that they're the partnership for the job then more power to them.

But I don't believe for one second that Taylor won't be given the chance to prove he's worthy of being a regular first.

No-one said he won't, but you talk as though Taylor is first choice by default and these defenders are only being brought in to teach him rather than compete with him.

Unless he struggles I do see him being the first CB name on the teamsheet tbh.

When everyone is fit I'm not sure I see it that way. Sam has gone on about the importance of experience along the back line (especially as his reason for not signing Curtis Davies) and the players he's brought in reflect that. It's also important to remember that Cacapa, Rozehnal and possibly Drago are all his signings rather than players he's inherited from a previous regime and so I believe he will favour them if only for this season.

If Drago doesn't come in then I can see Taylor playing center back a lot given Cacapa's injury history.

Even though he's a better player and Taylor is still prone to errors?

Honestly can't say I know a fantastic amount about Drago.

John Terry was considered quite error prone not too long ago, but I'll bet Chelsea don't regret sticking with him at CB even when he was.

If the defence is playing well in general and Taylor is still making a lot of mistakes in a few months then I'd reiew his postion in the first team.

But he deserves a go there with better players around him first, as he looks to have all the tools needed to be a world class CB eventually.

I think trying to compare Taylors situation to that of Terry's is going to the extreme, for starters Terry only moved up to the next level when Chelsea spent big to put excellent players around him, you're talking about still playing Stephen Carr to the right of him.

I just don't agree he should be automatic first choice at the expense of better players, some people are making out (not you btw) he was some sort of World beater last season which is far from the truth.

Guest Darth Toon

I'm pretty sure when we signed Rozehnal that Sam talked about not expecting him to be ready for the first team straight away, and I think Taylor's development will only be aided by playing regularly in hes preferred position alongside an experienced partner, so I expect our first choice pairing to be:

Taylor - Cacapa

Hopefully starting tomorrow!

I'm pretty sure when we signed Rozehnal that Sam talked about not expecting him to be ready for the first team straight away, and I think Taylor's development will only be aided by playing regularly in hes preferred position alongside an experienced partner, so I expect our first choice pairing to be:

Taylor - Cacapa

Hopefully starting tomorrow!

I don't think Cacapa isn't gonna be fit enough to start the season. He's had no pre-season training at all. Given his pre-season performances I think Rozehnal will play anyway.

Even though he's a better player and Taylor is still prone to errors?

Honestly can't say I know a fantastic amount about Drago.

John Terry was considered quite error prone not too long ago, but I'll bet Chelsea don't regret sticking with him at CB even when he was.

If the defence is playing well in general and Taylor is still making a lot of mistakes in a few months then I'd reiew his postion in the first team.

But he deserves a go there with better players around him first, as he looks to have all the tools needed to be a world class CB eventually.

I think trying to compare Taylors situation to that of Terry's is going to the extreme, for starters Terry only moved up to the next level when Chelsea spent big to put excellent players around him, you're talking about still playing Stephen Carr to the right of him.

I just don't agree he should be automatic first choice at the expense of better players, some people are making out (not you btw) he was some sort of World beater last season which is far from the truth.

I'd never advocate anyone being an automatic starter, just that I feel it's Taylor's job to lose at this point.

Skeletor, I believe in ruling out Curtis Davies Sam said he wouldn't want two young, inexperienced CB's starting. This makes sense, but to me says that Allardyce expects Taylor to start more often than not, which is why he'll always need an experienced head beside him.

Time will tell, I suppose.

FWIW I have found right back to be a lot tougher position than centre back.

That's cos you're a chunky fucker.  :laugh2:

Got a bit of pace for a fatty tbf :D

Downhill only I assume?  :razz:

Doesn't Taylor frequently play RB for Under 21's, I don't follow the international scene too much except for the big games.

I don't think him playing RB will hurt his progression, he'll learn more playing there alongside Cacapa and Rozenhal than sitting on the bench at least. Could see it happening for the next season.

I'd think we'd all choose him there in front of Carr as well if they were the only two choices. (I'm assuming Geremi will NEVER play RB unless there's an injury crisis, he offers so much more in the middle or on the right of middle.)

What ever happened to the deco rumour,has that just turned out to be another lie ???

Deco is having his medical right now.

Titus Bramble is an awful defender.

One of these sentences might not be true.

Guest optimistic nit

i would start Cacapa and Rozy. Taylor needs time out of the first team imo, he's had too much pressure on him. he should deffo play a part, but cacapa and rozy would be my 2 cbs.

Guest michaeljbuck

Okay, 3 signings. 2 of them must be José Enrique and Ivica Dragutinovic, so that leaves one more... Baines? I'd like a RB tbh, but if Sam thinks he's got it covered then we'll wait and see.

Guest optimistic nit

you sound like verlaine.

i've seen rozy in one match, and in one friendly, and he seems to be a positional defender from what i saw. doesn't get involved unless he needs too, usually not caught out of position, not strong, but wins balls in the air because of his height (i would say from what i've seen of edgar, the two could be quite similar). Not the greatest marker which is why in the game i watched, he was marking someone on the edge of the box, not in the danger zone. As for Cacapa, i've seen fuck all, but i've heard he's pacy, experienced, a leader (captained lyon, french champions for 5 years) and has been capped by brazil. This leads me to believe he could work well with rozy, as i think they may both be antagonistic. I also think that rozy could help bring on edgar, and cacapa could help bring on taylor.

What in the above post is incorrect?