Smith's New Challenge

Kev
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

ALTHOUGH new boy Alan Smith’s decision to quit Man U was heavily influenced by the lack of first team chances he knows he has a big challenge to get into the first XI at United.

With Michael Owen, Mark Viduka, Oba Martins, Andy Carroll all in the fight for striking berths, and the likes of Joey Barton, when fit, Nicky Butt and Charles N’Zogbia all in the hunt for midfield places, the competition looks healthy.

Yet Smith refused to single out his favourite role.

He added: “Sam Allardyce didn’t specify where he wanted me to play at Newcastle.

“What he did say was I am going to need you to play all over the place because we have not got a massive squad.

“During a full season there will be injuries and you can’t tell where you will play.

“When I went to Man United Sir Alex Ferguson said he would play me as a striker and I ended up in midfield.”

“These days you can’t go around saying I want to play here or play there but if you can play in different positions a manager will use you there.”

And having mulled over plenty of different options over the summer, including moves from Sunderland and Middlesbrough, Smith said there was only one choice in the end.

Isnt this a good thing? ... We want players to fight for their place so they dont think they can just walk into the starting 11 every week

What do you think about his postition and new challenge?

Guest Martin

Right sided striker of a forward three, mainly, is my guess.

that would work, martins left sided and Viduka/Shola in the middle

What he said.

There are 16 million reasons why that won't be plan A.

Guest MoscowMag

What he said.

What about Owen? Midfielder? Defender?

I see him most likely playing in the most attacking position of a centre midfield 3, or even the most central of the 3. That or possibly 1 of the 2  players off the main striker.

Good thing about him playing in the attacking CM position is that we can revert to 4-4-2 without needing to bring anyone on if necessary.

A lot will depend on the opposition, I'd have him in upfront as the one to hold the ball up of Viduka got injured, and he would have him on the right side of 3 strikers - between him & Milner for me. For some tough away games 3 the the middle of Smith, Butt & Barton looks tasty...

We'll be playing 4-3-3 a lot, and Smith can play in either 3 on the right hand side.

Thats my logic for SA buying him, that or he knew Owen was going to break down more than a 20 years old Lada.

With a fully fit squad ( mackems.gif) to chose from i think Sam might go for

Geremi

Smith                             Barton

Owen     Viduka   Martins

With the likes of Milner, Duff, Emre N'Zogbia and the such coming off the bench to try and change the game.

Only thing is with that team we have no real width.

Then again, i'm probably talking bollocks and Sam's got a completely different idea in mind. :razz:

For me it's pointless trying to predict line ups like this.  Sam has deliberately bought someone who can play in a number of positions just like Rozehnal, Geremi, Enrique and Drago (should they happen). Its an attempt to fill the squad with not only versitile plyers but players who are proven or comfortable in as many positions.

Big Sam knows injuries are going to attempt to scupper our season so he's covering his arse by getting in players like Smith. As you have all mentioned he can play about four different positions and my guess is that Sam will use him sparingly in any one of those positions depending on the situation.

Should all of our players be fit i would be suprised if Smith was in the first 11 but we know that won't be the case.

I think he'll play up front.

Ahead of who do ya reckon? Martins, Viduka?

Martins will be off to the ACN, Viduka/Owen will have injuries all year. I reckon Smith will play in other positions, but more up front in total.

Martins will be off to the ACN, Viduka/Owen will have injuries all year. I reckon Smith will play in other positions, but more up front in total.

Forgot about the african cup of nations, good shout Dave.

Aye, chuffed we have him to play there now as a good strong striker to replace Viduka when needed, interesting to see who plays vs Bolton, whether Smith & Martins are in the same team.

Guest ryunufc

he will play in various positions for at least the first season because that is the reason i believe he was bought for, as a utility man.