Taylor in England squad.

James

I just don't understand the 'hell of a lot to learn' people.  Sure he's got a lot to learn, but you only learn by doing, and here he's being given a chance.  I don't think any of the other defenders in the squad were just born with their boots on and international class already.

Maybe not, but by the time Woodgate and Ferdinand were 19 it was fairly obvious that they were exceptional. Both had full caps at that age too.

To be fair in recent years it's been very difficult for any young centre back to get anywhere near the England side, even Carragher has struggled to get a game and has retired early as a result.

Some players respond well to an England call up, others like Jenas feel they've "made it" as someone said earlier and become very complacent. Taylor, ever since he came into the Newcastle side, has been overcompetitive and desperate to succeed, determined to nail down a place in the team with every performance. I think a taste of action with the England team will only give him more encouragement to keep going, and will be a great experience for him as well.

Guest elbee909

I just don't understand the 'hell of a lot to learn' people.  Sure he's got a lot to learn, but you only learn by doing, and here he's being given a chance.  I don't think any of the other defenders in the squad were just born with their boots on and international class already.

Maybe not, but by the time Woodgate and Ferdinand were 19 it was fairly obvious that they were exceptional. Both had full caps at that age too. Taylor has done well for half a season. Good on him. However, its not negativity, its just the plain simple fact that he still drops clangers and isnt in the league of those just mentioned. They had things to learn. Just not as much as Taylor does. Personally I think he will do well to get to the level a young, pre-injury Wes Brown did. At present, I still think Brown is well ahead of him.

England is well served for centre-halves:

Woodgate, Terry, Ferdinand and Carragher are very very good. Campbell was excellent for years and is still playing well. Wes Brown and Ledley King are good players.

I simply interpret what is being said as 'he's done ok, but he's not in their league'. Not yet anyway. Personally I'll be happy if he does but he does have some fundamental flaws in his game.

I think we punish the mistakes of our own much more than we notice the mistakes of the other defenders mentioned.  When you consider the paucity of coaching that Taylor's had from Roeder and Souness, and the general quality of the players lining up with him in recent times, I can only credit him rather than point out any flaws in his game.

Maybe not, but by the time Woodgate and Ferdinand were 19 it was fairly obvious that they were exceptional. Both had full caps at that age too. Taylor has done well for half a season. Good on him. However, its not negativity, its just the plain simple fact that he still drops clangers and isnt in the league of those just mentioned. They had things to learn. Just not as much as Taylor does. Personally I think he will do well to get to the level a young, pre-injury Wes Brown did. At present, I still think Brown is well ahead of him.

England is well served for centre-halves:

Woodgate, Terry, Ferdinand and Carragher are very very good. Campbell was excellent for years and is still playing well. Wes Brown and Ledley King are good players.

I simply interpret what is being said as 'he's done ok, but he's not in their league'. Not yet anyway. Personally I'll be happy if he does but he does have some fundamental flaws in his game.

I think we punish the mistakes of our own much more than we notice the mistakes of the other defenders mentioned.  When you consider the paucity of coaching that Taylor's had from Roeder and Souness, and the general quality of the players lining up with him in recent times, I can only credit him rather than point out any flaws in his game.

I really don't like the 'who's managed him' line. Good players surface anyway. Gazza got nowt but praise simply because it was so obvious and he had Willie McFaul as manager and players inferior to those Taylor has had with him. I just think its time for people to calm down tbh. Let the kid get on with it without overdoing it. We had people here giving forum names to him when he was barely out of nappies. Daft. when he has had a season or two without the cock-ups he made prior to xmas last year (and if it had been Bramble then we wouldnt have heard the last of it) then I'll be happy. Until then I think its more realistic to see a kid who has a lot going for him and an awful lot to do.

Can't believe Lescott never got in

I wouldn't let McClaren manage a sunday league team

I don't think his manager wanted him to go.

McLaren called Moyes up and said "I'm going to call up Joleon" and Moyes replied "Joleon, Joleon, Joleon, Joleon - I'm begging of you please don't take my man, please don't take him just because you can."

McLaren called Moyes up and said "I'm going to call up Joleon" and Moyes replied "Joleon, Joleon, Joleon, Joleon - I'm begging of you please don't take my man, please don't take him just because you can."

:kasper: :lol:

Sadly, that song has never took off at Goodison :(

Guest elbee909

]I really don't like the 'who's managed him' line. Good players surface anyway. Gazza got nowt but praise simply because it was so obvious and he had Willie McFaul as manager and players inferior to those Taylor has had with him.

I struggle to think of many players, let alone a defender, to emerge in the way Gascoigne did.  Maybe someone like Rooney.

To many negative comments about the lad give him a chance he can only learn from this.  O0

Ya exactly,fucking hell its not his fault he wos called up!Also he showed in the u-21s in the summer  that he can step up to the plate when needed,even when his ankle his fucked!

No Lescott?

And on what basis is Alan Smith selected? One match as midfielder for Newcastle, or next to no match as striker (in the past too) for Man U?

He's pretty much the only English player who can both play up front, and is 100% fit.

Sadly, that song has never took off at Goodison :(

Would be hillarious if you sing this when/if Joleon gets sent off.

For anyone with Setanta, they're supposed to be featuring Steve Taylor on the show James Richardson hosts in the next 45 minutes!

Did they feature him ?

Yeah was in the pub though so didnt hear a word he said!

I think the whole fact that Taylor is getting shit on here for being called up by his country just backs up what Allardyce has said about the Newcastle fans over the last week.

Its no wonder the players dont like playing at home

Guest Chief Bluntasnot

For anyone with Setanta, they're supposed to be featuring Steve Taylor on the show James Richardson hosts in the next 45 minutes!

Did they feature him ?

Yeah was in the pub though so didnt hear a word he said!

I think the whole fact that Taylor is getting s*** on here for being called up by his country just backs up what Allardyce has said about the Newcastle fans over the last week.

Its no wonder the players dont like playing at home

What you on about man? We're getting streamers and shit tomorrow for the lads.

Guest Darth Toon

Congratulations Taylor lad - well deserved.

If he keeps his feet on the ground he could become a mainstay of the England team for years to come.

Some of the posts in here are absolutely mental. I can understand opposition fans being against Taylor's call up, but for our own supporters to be so... unsupportive of one of our players (and not only one of our players, but one of our home grown players), just typifies our attitude over the last five/ten years, really, and it typifies why so many opposition fans see us as a massive fucking laughing stock.

Guest Knightrider

Some of the posts in here are absolutely mental. I can understand opposition fans being against Taylor's call up, but for our own supporters to be so... unsupportive of one of our players (and not only one of our players, but one of our home grown players), just typifies our attitude over the last five/ten years, really, and it typifies why so many opposition fans see us as a massive fucking laughing stock.

Aye, quite sad isn't it. You can now see that for some, personal agendas have taken over. Even if you don't rate or like the bloke, you should be happy that a young NUFC player, a Geordie no less, has been called up to the senior England squad and let me remind people ON MERIT.

Some of the posts in here are absolutely mental. I can understand opposition fans being against Taylor's call up, but for our own supporters to be so... unsupportive of one of our players (and not only one of our players, but one of our home grown players), just typifies our attitude over the last five/ten years, really, and it typifies why so many opposition fans see us as a massive f****** laughing stock.

Tbf it's mostly just people on here trying to appear cynical and clever. Talk to people in town and the vast majority will tell you they're happy for him. The criticism of Taylor on here is over the top, it really is.