Alan Smith (my MotM) will prove to be more important than Geremi

Parky

Did absolutely everything that he was asked - dropping deep when we didn't have the ball, taking up excellent def postions and then taking postitive space when we did have the ball. Couple of crunching trademark tackles and not afraid of spreading play when asked to. Looked like he could have played another 45min he looked that strong. Butt-Germemi-Smith compressing play as needed with Milner dropping back to make the 4. Martins might have got two goals but our mf domination and control of the first 45 min was down to the dynamism of Smith and the awareness of Geremi.

MOM-Smudger.

Definitely needs to be used only as a midfielder, barring an emergency, which I suspect he will.

Will be a great squad player with us mostly using 4-3-3. Be interesting to see what happens when Barton gets back should Smith keep this form up.

Great performance. :thup:

No need for a new thread.

Is that a non-contributive [post?

I want to talk about Smith not the match.

It's not non-constructive (I presume that's the word you were looking for) I'm simply pointing out that there isn't any need for a new thread, if you want to talk about Smith then bump the old one which people contributed to when he scored past Sampdoria.

Y

Thought all four of the new signings were very impressive today.

Rozehnal was occasionally shaky tbh.

Thought he tried to play it calm & keep control too often when the best choice was to make a tackle or clear it. Got caught out couple times. Reckon it's something he'll learn when he adapts to the english game

Guest Phil K

Thought all four of the new signings were very impressive today.

Agreed. Makes a luvverly change for our new signings to be so determined and assured, rather than obsessed with their bank balance, whining how they'd prefer to play for Man U/Liverpool/Arsenal (but still get the obscene money we give them) and waving sick notes.

Viduka and Smith I am paticularly delighted with.

Definitely needs to be used only as a midfielder, barring an emergency, which I suspect he will.

Will be a great squad player with us mostly using 4-3-3. Be interesting to see what happens when Barton gets back should Smith keep this form up.

Great performance. :thup:

I made a big deal of his purchase and am still sure he will prove the signature purchase (so far) of the summer. More influential today than Geremi.

Did absolutely everything that he was asked - dropping deep when we didn't have the ball, taking up excellent def postions and then taking postitive space when we did have the ball. Couple of crunching trademark tackles and not afraid of spreading play when asked to. Looked like he could have played another 45min he looked that strong. Butt-Germemi-Smith compressing play as needed with Milner dropping back to make the 4. Martins might have got two goals but our mf domination and control of the first 45 min was down to the dynamism of Smith and the awareness of Geremi.

MOM-Smudger.

100% agreed if that's what coming from him we are in for one hell of a ride :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

MOM-Smudger.

100% agreed if that's what coming from him we are in for one hell of a ridethat's what coming from him we are in for one hell of a ride :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

You can say that again...

He's no Jenas.  ;)

To think how much ManU have just spent on Hargreaves. On this kind of form Smith against let's not forget a very combative Bolton at their ground laid down the law early on (he talks a lot as well not totally silent like Parker) and never let go of his zone. Fergy had to let him go, but it looks like a mistake.

am still sure he will prove the signature purchase (so far) of the summer

Completey agree with that Parky. My view is we should have had him a long time ago. Hes' on SSN now and talking like hes been at the Toon for yonks. "Only want people who want to wear the shirt"...great stuff.

He will be a legend.

He's no Jenas.  ;)

To think how much ManU have just spent on Hargreaves. On this kind of form Smith against let's not forget a very combative Bolton at their ground laid down the law early on (he talks a lot as well not totally silent like Parker) and never let go of his zone. Fergy had to let him go, but it looks like a mistake.

Couldn't agree more, Parky.  Sir Alex even said it himself.

Smiths such a good player to have in your team. The way him and Butt played today it looked like we had three captains in centre mid. It was like a competition between the three.

My hands are up, I doubted this signing from the first time it was mentioned, especially for the £6m fee. However, what a great start to his Newcastle career. He has the drive, passion and actual ability that's been missing from our team for awhile (especially center midfield) and considering the ANC and how we'll miss Geremi then, this signing already looks like an astute one. Well done Sam.

Geremi Barton Smith

TASTY!

PS. Knee-jerk as fuck :lol: what a great start!

The way people are saying he wasn't great but was 100% effort and didn't do anything wrong reminds me of Speed when he was here...who we only missed when he left us, shouldn't moan for moanings sake lads!

The way people are saying he wasn't great but was 100% effort and didn't do anything wrong reminds me of Speed when he was here...who we only missed when he left us, shouldn't moan for moanings sake lads!

Well said. I kept track of Smudger for an article I'm working on. People saying he was average I will personally have shot.

Guest Gemmill

A few people on here will be, to paraphrase Alan Partridge, getting a plate and a knife and fork, and eating their words about Mr. Smith methinks. :lol: