Alan Smith (my MotM) will prove to be more important than Geremi

Parky

I was comparing the performances today of Etuhu & Smith, as players, Smith p*sses on Etuhu, but today, very similar performances, both did well. But a lot of people are going way overboard in their praise for him so far.

The praise for today is the fact that he was Man of the Match today in some peoples opinion, no more, no less.

We don't have to think very far back to remember a player who had a fantastic grafting debut, indeed first season, before being found out as limited.

Smith did ok, but let's not judge on one game either way.

:thup:

Noticed a potentially telling difference today though - Smith and Parker are similar players, but Smith moves the ball on pretty much instantly, and as a result his linkup play is moderately decent. Parker on the other hand dwells on the ball. That was the biggest source of frustration regarding Parker imo, and hence I dont see fans turning on Smith like they did Parker. Smith's graft will remain an asset to us because he wont drag an entire team down with a poor style of play, whereas with Parker his graft became a burden because it was accompanied by poor teamplay and a lack of confidence.

There was one ball (I know, how kneejerk is that! :D) that I was very impressed with Smith for, almost played it before he got it.

Guest unrealterrorist

Provided he stays clear of injury, Smith could prove to be one of the signings of the season - he will be essential to us in away games with his committed approach, and, no little skill.

I agree Provided he stays clear of injury.

Did absolutely everything that he was asked - dropping deep when we didn't have the ball, taking up excellent def postions and then taking postitive space when we did have the ball. Couple of crunching trademark tackles and not afraid of spreading play when asked to. Looked like he could have played another 45min he looked that strong. Butt-Germemi-Smith compressing play as needed with Milner dropping back to make the 4. Martins might have got two goals but our mf domination and control of the first 45 min was down to the dynamism of Smith and the awareness of Geremi.

MOM-Smudger.

Forgetting whether you think smudger is the new Batty or the new Parker, what impressed me about the team as a whole was the fact that we played 4-3-3 as an attacking shape but when we defended we reverted to a 4-4-2 and not that spectical destroying 4-5-1 that other teams that play 4-3-3 revert to. If Oba defended, Milner stayed higher up the park and vice versa (when we reverted to a full 4-5-1 it was a different story).

This constantly allowded the team an amazing ability to counter attack - it was special to watch especially after years of watching a team have trouble organising a 4-4-2, let alone a team that was able to change its' shape to three different formations in the one game successfully. I would doubt that the team's IQ on average has risen by 20 points without Bramble, Dyer and Parker.

Did absolutely everything that he was asked - dropping deep when we didn't have the ball, taking up excellent def postions and then taking postitive space when we did have the ball. Couple of crunching trademark tackles and not afraid of spreading play when asked to. Looked like he could have played another 45min he looked that strong. Butt-Germemi-Smith compressing play as needed with Milner dropping back to make the 4. Martins might have got two goals but our mf domination and control of the first 45 min was down to the dynamism of Smith and the awareness of Geremi.

MOM-Smudger.

Forgetting whether you think smudger is the new Batty or the new Parker, what impressed me about the team as a whole was the fact that we played 4-3-3 as an attacking shape but when we defended we reverted to a 4-4-2 and not that spectical destroying 4-5-1 that other teams that play 4-3-3 revert to. If Oba defended, Milner stayed higher up the park and vice versa (when we reverted to a full 4-5-1 it was a different story).

This constantly allowded the team an amazing ability to counter attack - it was special to watch especially after years of watching a team have trouble organising a 4-4-2, let alone a team that was able to change its' shape to three different formations in the one game successfully. I would doubt that the team's IQ on average has risen by 20 points without Bramble, Dyer and Parker.

Some excellent observations black. The formation is fluid depending to some extent where the ball is and who has it. Some of Sam's comments with regards to "...things I need to tell the players.." I should imagine are a lot to do with responsabilities in certain areas of the pitch. It was a welcome change to see a side who knew where they should be and what they should be doing and others moving in accordance.

One of the highlights of Smiths display was the almost telepathic understanding he has developed with Butt and Geremi and that when he moved up there was always someone to cover behind him. The other aspect of Smith's play is that he isn't 'drawn to the ball' as Parker used to leaving holes and unbalancing the formation. By the looks of it although Geremi is the cool head, Smith is actually the leader.

• 1 year later...

He's no Jenas.  ;)

To think how much ManU have just spent on Hargreaves. On this kind of form Smith against let's not forget a very combative Bolton at their ground laid down the law early on (he talks a lot as well not totally silent like Parker) and never let go of his zone. Fergy had to let him go, but it looks like a mistake.

:iamatwat:

He's no Jenas.  ;)

To think how much ManU have just spent on Hargreaves. On this kind of form Smith against let's not forget a very combative Bolton at their ground laid down the law early on (he talks a lot as well not totally silent like Parker) and never let go of his zone. Fergy had to let him go, but it looks like a mistake.

:colo:

Guest Phil K

the dynamism of Smith and the awareness of Geremi.

MOM-Smudger.

Isn't it time your brain came back from the cleaners ?

this one is highly disturbing.. all those who expressed their optimism here should be banned or even better, killed immediately.

It would be a mercy killing..... :snod:

A few people on here will be, to paraphrase Alan Partridge, getting a plate and a knife and fork, and eating their words about Mr. Smith methinks. :lol:

oh well, back to the Martins rants I suppose Gem...

He's no Jenas.  ;)

;D

this one is highly disturbing.. all those who expressed their optimism here should be banned or even better, killed immediately.

I couldn't agree more - it must be the blazing heat affecting their minds