Alan Smith (my MotM) will prove to be more important than Geremi

Parky

Thought all four of the new signings were very impressive today.

Rozehnal was occasionally shaky tbh.

First game in the premiership,i wouldnt say shaky tbh id say inexperienced,was good 1st half but he dwelled on the ball a bit too much in the 2nd half.

Guest Phil K

A few people on here will be, to paraphrase Alan Partridge, getting a plate and a knife and fork, and eating their words about Mr. Smith methinks. :lol:

Bit early for smugness don't you think ?

That said, I freely admit I'm one who had grave doubts.

Delighted to be proved (at the minute) wrong.

Guest Gemmill

A few people on here will be, to paraphrase Alan Partridge, getting a plate and a knife and fork, and eating their words about Mr. Smith methinks. :lol:

Bit early for smugness don't you think ?

That said, I freely admit I'm one who had grave doubts.

Delighted to be proved (at the minute) wrong.

Says the king of the "I told you so" posts. :razz:

I said I didn't think we needed him, great news that he done well today and I hope he keeps it up, will be more than happy to eat that humble pie.

....the art of which you have painfully learnt no doubt.  :razz:

I said I didn't think we needed him, great news that he done well today and I hope he keeps it up, will be more than happy to eat that humble pie.

Did you notice the thread where I posted a link from last year? The one where you said something like you thought Berbatov will be a waste of money....? ;)

He looked woeful against Sunderland to be fair.

Hope he flops. Dont know why, I suppose its because he seems to have turned into the world's best striker after a few good cup performances.

Did you notice the thread where I posted a link from last year? The one where you said something like you thought Berbatov will be a waste of money....? ;)

Hope he flops. Dont know why, I suppose its because he seems to have turned into the world's best striker after a few good cup performances.

Still would say a serving of humble pie is in order. Don't think there is any difference in that and me saying I don't think we need Smith.

Still would say a serving of humble pie is in order. Don't think there is any difference in that and me saying I don't think we need Smith.

You plainly were of the opinion we 'didn't need' Smith....Even thought you knew Barton was out for 2 months and Owen was injured and we'd lose Geremi for 8 weeks early in the new year. You have admitted already you realise you were wrong which is the sign of a gentleman. :razz: O0

geremi is the pirlo of our team.  but being more rounded in fact he can defend.

alan smith has the gattusso spirit, and can attack fairly well.

ask me we have a better team than AC Milan :D:D

I've just watched the first half on Sky and Martins, Viduka, Geremi, Milner and N'Zogbia have all been involved alot more than Smith who hasn't done anything of note so far.

I'm expecting a stunning second half from him if he's MOTM.

You plainly were of the opinion we 'didn't need' Smith....Even thought you knew Barton was out for 2 months and Owen was injured and we'd lose Geremi for 8 weeks early in the new year. You have admitted already you realise you were wrong which is the sign of a gentleman. :razz: O0

Early days, Smith has exactly the type of mentality I like in a player but I am still unsure whether or not the £6m could have been spent better elsewhere. That said I will definitely support him as a player and you wont see me getting on his back.

Guest jamesmartinsmith

I wasn't too impressed with Viduka. Smith and Butt however were superb, Geremi looked a bit shaky.

I've just watched the first half on Sky and Martins, Viduka, Geremi, Milner and N'Zogbia have all been involved alot more than Smith who hasn't done anything of note so far.

Hes been very average, barely noticeable. But hes MOTM because hes Alan Smith and he works hard.

Decent/good signing for games like this in all honesty, ie the Evertons, Boltons and Blackburns. Hes solid and a good option for central midfield if we want solidity, something which i admit to have overlooked in the rage at the price.

Not as good a player as Geremi though.

?

i thought he was one of our best players.

So do I, he was still a bit shaky though once or twice. Don't hold it against him in the slightest though, 1st game etc etc. For "shaky" read: "inexperienced". He's liable to make a few mistakes because of this.

?

So do I, he was still a bit shaky though. Don't hold it against him in the slightest though, 1st game etc etc.

I think (or hope) it's just him getting used to the pace of the Premiership, he's finding out he can't keep possession as long as he did in the French league.

?

So do I, he was still a bit shaky though. Don't hold it against him in the slightest though, 1st game etc etc.

I think (or hope) it's just him getting used to the pace of the Premiership, he's finding out he can't keep possession as long as he did in the French league.

Yeah, I'd go along with that.  Once or twice he seemed to want to take us forward and hold onto it instead of taking a more simple but defensively secure option. I'm hopeful that he'll be able to really adapt because (albeit based on a few friendlies and one meaningful game) he looks like he's got a lot of attributes as a CD and will partner up well with Taylor.

and thats the difference between watching it on the TV and being there, because Smith was excellent today, particularly defensively

and thats the difference between watching it on the TV and being there, because Smith was excellent today, particularly defensively

Except the lad who started this thread based his opinion of Smith being MotM from watching it through an Internet stream, which would have been the same footage I'm watching.

Except the lad who started this thread based his opinion of Smith being MotM from watching it through an Internet stream, which would have been the same footage I'm watching.

Yes but your assertion was that Smith would have to excellent in the second half because he was poor in the first, doing nothing of note.  In fact he did loads in an excellent first and was also pretty good in the second as well.

In your opinion :)