Aston Villa (H) Pre-Match Thread

NSG

Guest Milburnthedog

I can see the pro's and con's of all the teams / formations mentioned above. What is clear is that this squad is far far better than the one that finished last term, stronger, organised with options on the bench and the other guarantee is that SJP will be up for it too. Should be fun, I can't wait.

How do you suppose Villa will line up? 4-3-3/4-5-1?

...............................Taylor

Gardner..... Mellberg ...... Laursen.... Bouma

......... Petrov .... Reo-Coker .... Barry

...........Young .... Carew ....... Agbonlahor 

They seem to play it home and away.

Well put it this way, from the first fixture we look the better side. Villa looked disjointed and unfocused against Liverpool until the last 10 minutes. Maybe this was a one off because Liverpool are such a good side, however i think our task was just as hard.

Personally, i think Young has the potential to rape Steven Carr, if they play with the same side. I also think we will get bucket loads of chances if their defence was anything to go by.

Team:

Harper

Carr        Taylor        Rozehnal      N'Zogbia

Butt

Geremi                Smith

Martins        Viduka              Milner

Tough game, score: 3-1 martins,Milner and Taylor

I dont think he drop Zog fore the villa game. Will most likely ease Enrique into premiership life, so expect to see zog play. Tell you what Owen will find it very hard to get back into the team now cos i think Oba and Milner are perfectly suited in the 4-3-3 formation that Sam uses. Unsure if Owen will suit it  :undecided:

Owen could play in the middle instad of viduka.  It doesnt have to be a hold up player in the middle.

Like this ^^^ although Cahill may replace Laursen (who went off at half time on Saturday), and Carson will probably replace Taylor (although he had a blinder on Saturday).

Agbonlahor is wasted wide right. Personally, I'd play

Carson

New RB  Cahill Mellberg Bouma

Young  Reo-Coker Gardener Barry

Moore Agbonlahor

We'll decimate them. I expect 2-0 to us at the very least. Villa played well against Liverpool and look to have the makings of a good side. This game and us has just come at the wrong time for them. MON will play safety first and as others have said, we have to watch them on the break.  If MON had got another couple or quality players in it would have made all the differeance.

Petrov and Carew are the danger men.

With last years team this would have been a tricky one.... Now it is an expected win in the Parky calendar.

Sorry Brummie.

Like this ^^^ although Cahill may replace Laursen (who went off at half time on Saturday), and Carson will probably replace Taylor (although he had a blinder on Saturday).

Carson

Moore Agbonlahor

How do you think you'll get on mate?

We'll decimate them. I expect 2-0 to us at the very least. Villa played well against Liverpool and look to have the makings of a good side. This game and us has just come at the wrong time for them. MON will play safety first and as others have said, we have to watch them on the break.  If MON had got another couple or quality players in it would have made all the differeance.

With last years team this would have been a tricky one.... Now it is an expected win in the Parky calendar.

Sorry Brummie.

You've failed to factor in my presence at the match.

Sorry Brummie.

Petrov a danger man? Oh, Parky! How wrong you are.

And we didn't play well against Liverpool, we were absolutely rubbish.

Sorry Brummie.

You've failed to factor in my presence at the match.

Fuck. :kasper: :razz:

I'll take the draw. :lol:

Carson

Moore Agbonlahor

How do you think you'll get on mate?

I think we'll lose, on account of not having a proper right back, and having a defence that is one bad challenge away from catastrophe.

Although we've got plenty of pace up front, it depends how much joy Ashley Young gets, really.

I dont think he drop Zog fore the villa game. Will most likely ease Enrique into premiership life, so expect to see zog play. Tell you what Owen will find it very hard to get back into the team now cos i think Oba and Milner are perfectly suited in the 4-3-3 formation that Sam uses. Unsure if Owen will suit it  :undecided:

Owen could play in the middle instad of viduka.  It doesnt have to be a hold up player in the middle.

Oh i'm afraid it does. The only players in our team that could play affectively in that position would be Viduka, Smith and (possibly) Ameobi. The player MUST be able to hold up the ball and bring players like Martins and Milner into the game or the system doesn't work. To do that the player must be big and strong.

Owen isn't strong and can't play with his back to the goal.

Sorry Brummie.

I'm getting my Petrov's mixed up is there another at ManCity...

You were shit in the first half but game back strongly in the second. YOu didn't expect to beat them did you?

Well who is your danger man then....Young?The team looks so workmanlike....

Why didn't you pick Carew?

Could be some meaty challenges between Bouma and Martins if the teams line-up as expected.

Villa were very poor in the Liverpool match, but then Liverpool are notoriously hard to play against. Much will depend on how we limit then supply to their players out wide, as our full-backs are still the worry.

Sorry Brummie.

You were shit in the first half but game back strongly in the second. YOu didn't expect to beat them did you?

Why shouldn't we go into home games expecting to win? We were really shit in the first half and mediocre at best in the second half.

The danger will come from our pace, Ashley Young, Agbonlahor and Luke Moore (if played, and there's a good chance, as Carew is clearly not fit right now).

If you've got dodgy full backs still, we can get some joy there.

TBF i fancied Villa to turn them over. I think Brummie will tell you they never really got going, Young was the only player to get any real joy.

I noticed he played out left which would worry me against Carr. However, we would probably double up and get super Butt on the case.

Sorry Brummie.

Why shouldn't we go into home games expecting to win? We were really shit in the first half and mediocre at best in the second half.

The danger will come from our pace, Ashley Young, Agbonlahor and Luke Moore (if played, and there's a good chance, as Carew is clearly not fit right now).

If you've got dodgy full backs still, we can get some joy there.

MON could be in for some early season bother if you don't get anything out of this game. He has to get a win against Fulham the game after...As there are two very tricky ones ManC and Chelsea to follow.  It's all very well talking about pace etc...Just didn't look very organised against Liverpool. I can't remember much of the game, but apart from the characteristic MON work ethic I didn't really see any resemblance of a plan. I think you're still missing one or two players.

Guest WalkervilleMag

we have to make St James a fortress again, if we have ambitions of a top 5/6 place.  last few season since Sir Bobby left, it has been a fairly easy touch to vist for most clubs. 

The Reebok was a hard lpace to vist, especially for the medias top 4.  We should be looking to get a minimum of 15 victorys at home this season for us to do well.

we have to make St James a fortress again, if we have ambitions of a top 5/6 place.  last few season since Sir Bobby left, it has been a fairly easy touch to vist for most clubs. 

The Reebok was a hard lpace to vist, especially for the medias top 4.  We should be looking to get a minimum of 15 victorys at home this season for us to do well.

15 victories minimum. :lol:

If we can win more than 12 that'll be fantastic, you're always gonna have a few draws against other mid-table teams and then there's the Big 4.

Agree with your general concept though, with the team playing well the fans will make some vicious noise. Combine that with Allardyce's high tempo play and we'll be a fucking nightmare to visit. :D

Minimum of 15 home wins, nothing better than unrealistic expectations.  bluelaugh.gif

Guest WalkervilleMag

15 victories minimum. :lol:

If we can win more than 12 that'll be fantastic, you're always gonna have a few draws against other mid-table teams and then there's the Big 4.

Agree with your general concept though, with the team playing well the fans will make some vicious noise. Combine that with Allardyce's high tempo play and we'll be a f****** nightmare to visit. :D

15 is tough you are right,  but i am also taking into account that we have no european football to distract us this season.  last few years it has distracted us and we have tailed off due to bad, training, unfit tried players.

We had a cracking record under Sir Bobby at winning the league games preceding a european game. 

Much will depend on how we limit then supply to their players out wide, as our full-backs are still the worry.

This is my main concern. They will surely look to exploit our full back positions, where we'll probably have N'Zogbia, a makeshift left back, and Carr, who can be a liability at times and isn't the quickest. Hopefully Rozenhal can deal with Carew whose aeriel threat caused us problems here last time.

If N'Zogbia is having trouble I expect Enrique will be on the bench to replace him at left back, while Geremi can always go to right back if Carr is getting murdered down that side, so we do have options. Enrique is said to be very quick and handled Messi no problem according to the Villarreal fans, so he might be the man for this game if Allardyce feels he's ready.