Belletti signs for Chelsea

Guest SpinTheBlackCircle

I would also take Rosenior over Carr and even over Belletti, the later is not the best of defenders and is more of an attacking wing back which may lead to us playing with wingbacks, but then again anything is better than Stephen Carr

I didn't think I'd ever being saying this but I think an attack minded defender is just what we need. Going off yesterday's performance, we're too defensive minded atm.

Guest SeattleToon

Please will people stop bringing up age when discussing defenders. Age is actually a virtue when it comes to defending because it means that you have learned how to position yourself properly, something that only comes with experience.

Remember a couple of years ago when everyone was saying Sol Campbell was too old....he showed 'em last year, didn't he.....

Guest Chief Bluntasnot

Please will people stop bringing up age when discussing defenders. Age is actually a virtue when it comes to defending because it means that you have learned how to position yourself properly, something that only comes with experience.

Remember a couple of years ago when everyone was saying Sol Campbell was too old....he showed 'em last year, didn't he.....

Aye, Stephen Carr has made us all eat humble pie with his performances last season

Aye, Stephen Carr has made us all eat humble pie with his performances last season

I think there was an implied condition you may have missed, in that one actually needs to be a decent defender first in order for the above to be true...

that may be the case with centres, but with right and left backs age is a factor. players playing on the flanks need that bit of pace to keep up with zippy wingers.. that being said i dont think 31 is all that old and, anyway, belleti has speed that belies his age- he's been quite nimble the times i've seen him play and his defensive abilities are pretty solid too. he can really add another dimension to our game