Owen: I will not be bullied.

Optimistic Nut

In today's Mirror. Not typing the whole article, but will type his direct quotes.

"I have only ever said positive things about Newcastle and always been 100% committed. Whenever I have been doubted I've always responded the best way I know how by scoring goals. But I'm stubborn and won't be bullied into saying things.

I don't feel I should keep coming out every week and saying I'm loving this, that and the other. There was no media speculation until various pieces came out in the media saying, "if Michael Owen doesn't say this, then I'll tell him that Chelsea and Liverpool aren't interested..."

"My management company used to get phone-calls from boardroom level saying I haven't done this or I haven't done that, or we want more interviews on this.

But when I'm injured I just put up a shield and take the abuse and remember who said it."

----A very unsubtle dig at Shepherd there!

Guest MagicNumber9

Im sick of this scouse midget, never liked him, never will, his main priority is playing for England.

Wish someone came in when his get out clause was for 9mil.

Guest elbee909

The mass inferiority complex of NUFC fans continues.  Even when refuting what he's always been accused of, people still have a go.

Cutting off one's nose to spite one's face, all we ever seem to do.

Guest eyeball_tickler

The mass inferiority complex of NUFC fans continues.  Even when refuting what he's always been accused of, people still have a go.

did you not hear? he definitely wants to leave and definitely will leave because he's a money grabbing prick. he only cares about england and has no interest in playing for us so he fakes injuries to avoid doing so. he clearly has no morals.

Guest justin99.

did you not hear? he definitely wants to leave and definitely will leave because he's a money grabbing prick. he only cares about england and has no interest in playing for us so he fakes injuries to avoid doing so. he clearly has no morals.

Where did you get that from??

He may have been taking the piss.

Guest eyeball_tickler

the same place as the other people who say that stuff, nowhere.

Guest Geordiesned

From today's Journal:

In reference to criticisms regarding his off-field activities, Owen told The Mag: “When I’m playing and scoring goals, no one will mention that I played golf on a Wednesday, or that I was at a race meeting on a Monday. But when I’m injured, I just have to put up the shield and take the abuse, although I’ll remember who said it. When I’m back banging in goals again – and everyone knows I’ll score goals when I’m fit – no one will say anything. But I’ll remember who it was.

Link

He knows who you all are. ;)

He has to understand the fans' frustration, the club's record signing for £16M, one of the biggest names in English football, and he barely plays in two years yet seemingly rushes back from injury when England come calling.

I suspect he'd have left given the chance, but I won't hold that against him because I believe he's a professional who will always give 100% on the pitch. I just hope he answers his critics on the pitch, if he does that he'll get the praise he deserves, you can be sure of that.

Guest Darth Toon

He certainly needs to start doing his talking on the pitch now, but it will be a heck of a lot easier being eased back gradually into a team that's going well, rather than being flung straight back into a struggling team and expected to score every game.

It also seems from the talk coming out of the club in recent days that if the Shepherd and Roeder dream team had still been in place we would be starting this saeaosn without Owen or Martins.

I agree with this, the mans just come out and cleared everything up, and people still having a go at him, sickening, he plays for us you know. Get behind him, be supportive, its a characteristic supporters should have....

Guest microbar

Can I please play today sam,

I dont give a s*** about the toon but my england place is important to me,

money grabbing little s***.  :idiot2:

Can I please play today sam,

I dont give a s*** about the toon but my england place is important to me,

money grabbing little s***.  :idiot2:

It's irrelevant what he says or does to you, isn't it? Small man syndrome...

Guest Bramble OG

he can say all he wants to the press from my point-of-view, but come 5pm tonight, if he has put in a good graft against villa and we win, i honestly don't give a flying fart.

7pm :)

TBH he's contributed so little to NUFC that I regularly forget that Owen is even on our books.

I'd much rather he was sat on someone elses treatment table sucking up 120k a week in wages...

Tabloid-tastic.

Guest elbee909

TBH he's contributed so little to NUFC that I regularly forget that Owen is even on our books.

I'd much rather he was sat on someone elses treatment table sucking up 120k a week in wages...

I'm sure Shearer had nearly a whole season out with injury at least once.  But that's ok, because he's a Geordie.

Guest Andy_M

Tabloid-tastic.

ITK-tastic?

Guest Andy_M

I'm sure Shearer had nearly a whole season out with injury at least once.  But that's ok, because he's a Geordie.

Difference between snapping bones during NUFC combat and frequent muscle 'niggles' and a knee injury he picked up playing for England when he clearly wasn't match fit in the first place.

Can't believe some of the shit Owen gets on here. Sure, it's been frustrating. But blaming him for his injuries, or for how he spends some of his time when he's not required by the club, and lashing up all this bile, is as ridiculous as it is pathetic.

Do you think he wants to be injured? I don't.

Do you imagine he's been slacking in his efforts to get fit again? I don't. I imagine he's been doing everything he possibly can -- including dealing coolly with his own frustration.

Yeah, he's coming back to fitness as England are about to play a game. But hey, he's also coming back to fitness as Newcastle United start another season in the Premier League.

So let's all go egg his fucking house, eh? You know it makes sense!