Newcastle United 0-0 Aston Villa - 18/08/07 - Post Match reaction from Page 12

James

villa looked very pacey in the first 30mins, our midfield could not keep up with them.  Carews breathing problem seemed to swing the game back to us, and we surged forward.  However we failed to unlock their defense,  and looked pretty toothless in the last third.

shows how poor you are when you are  depending in cough milner to try and create something.  :rant:

atmo theres too many grafters in this team and not enough talent.  Early days though i hope.

Didnt see much second half, as some bloke in the pub was rabbiting on in my ear......damn everton fans  :p

Guest AussieNUFC

How many times did we screw up set pieces. we had more than double the corner, but i can't remember one getting in a good cross. Bolton under sam was an outstanding team at set pieces often winning close games like Villa. I know he had a decade at bolton and a few months at us, but Geremi seems incapable of a whipping in a good ball. We have emre and duff to come back in so hopefully the standard can improve. Good set pieces can often be the difference between Europe and midtable or relagation or survival.

villa looked very pacey in the first 30mins, our midfield could not keep up with them. Carews breathing problem seemed to swing the game back to us, and we surged forward. However we failed to unlock their defense, and looked pretty toothless in the last third.

shows how poor you are when you are depending in cough milner to try and create something. :rant:

atmo theres too many grafters in this team and not enough talent. Early days though i hope.

Didnt see much second half, as some bloke in the pub was rabbiting on in my ear......damn everton fans :p

Milner's actually one of our most creative players. His crosses have improved unbelievably and his control of the ball is quite supreme now. His development as a player over the past couple of seasons is unparalleled with anyone else in the squad. I don't think he lost the ball easily once. Even when he was being marked by two players late in the game, he always made sure he got something out of it, even if it was just a throw-in.

If you're going to whinge, at least make sure you know what you're whinging about. The forum's gone berserk in one day just because we drew to a solid team which was organised by someone reknowned for being one of the most solid managers in the game. It's two games into the season. We have 4 points, which is 2 more than Manyoo have, 1 more than Spurs have and 3 more than Villa have. RELAX! Our transfer spending isn't over, our new signings are still adapting and our defence kept a clean sheet yesterday. We're also missing our vice-captain who's also our most consistent performer, our 'best' striker is not near match-fit and we're playing our best left-winger at left-back. The best is yet to come, the world's not ending, it's not going to go downhill for here, just be patient and lower your expectations.

Young, Agbonlahor and Carew had chances from good positions - just with shocking finishing, plus that 1 really good chance they had where they'd certianly have scored if Agbonlahor? (I think it was) had of squared it to NRC instead of shooting.

Agbonlahor was criticised on Setanta for that, but I'd really disagree. If you-re six yards from goal, with nothing but the keeper to beat, then you've got to have a dig. Anything can happen when you try to square it to a team-mate. This kind of situation is fairly common, and I tend to think the percentage decision is to have a go yourself.

Guest firetotheworks

There seem to be a lot of people saying 'we need to change this...' after one game. I dont think it needs to be changed unless we play a team who play the way Villa did, not giving anyone an inch. We could have done with solano or emre but we couldnt. I thought Butt was good, Geremi was good for the most part and Smith was good at times but dived into tackles far too much. Definsively I thought Rozenhal was solid and always well positioned. unlucky with his shot as well. Taylor was poor I thought, caught in possession a few times and playing a few daft passes. Carr was slow but when he had the ball he was ok. In other matches I think we'll boss the midfield and subsequently create chances up front. Naive? Maybe. Willing to give the new system time to gel? Definately.

villa looked very pacey in the first 30mins, our midfield could not keep up with them.  Carews breathing problem seemed to swing the game back to us, and we surged forward.  However we failed to unlock their defense,  and looked pretty toothless in the last third.

shows how poor you are when you are  depending in cough milner to try and create something.   :rant:

atmo theres too many grafters in this team and not enough talent.  Early days though i hope.

Didnt see much second half, as some bloke in the pub was rabbiting on in my ear......damn everton fans  :p

Agree with being toothless in the final third....just lacked any sort of creativity and never looked like scoring in the second half.

Sam will learn from that game. Villa were in no real trouble at any point. I think we should have tried 442 when things weren't happening. We had no creativety in midfield or any real width. We made it pretty easy for Villa & they could & perhaps should have won.

433 at home may not work; I'd try it with N'Zogbia & Milner wide & either Butt or Smith dropping to the bench with Emre pushing for a place.

We missed the type of run Dyer made for WH yday.

shows how poor you are when you are  depending in cough milner to try and create something.   :rant:

Milner's actually one of our most creative players. His crosses have improved unbelievably and his control of the ball is quite supreme now. His development as a player over the past couple of seasons is unparalleled with anyone else in the squad. I don't think he lost the ball easily once. Even when he was being marked by two players late in the game, he always made sure he got something out of it, even if it was just a throw-in.

If you're going to whinge, at least make sure you know what you're whinging about. The forum's gone berserk in one day just because we drew to a solid team which was organised by someone reknowned for being one of the most solid managers in the game. It's two games into the season. We have 4 points, which is 2 more than Manyoo have, 1 more than Spurs have and 3 more than Villa have. RELAX! Our transfer spending isn't over, our new signings are still adapting and our defence kept a clean sheet yesterday. We're also missing our vice-captain who's also our most consistent performer, our 'best' striker is not near match-fit and we're playing our best left-winger at left-back. The best is yet to come, the world's not ending, it's not going to go downhill for here, just be patient and lower your expectations.

Good points. I espescially agree on Milner, how anyone can criticise him at the moment is beyond me.

In some ways yesterday's result was needed, because there were too many fans who needed to take a step back. This game presented more questions than answers.

Can Martins play in that deeper wide right/left role? Personally, I think he needs to be playing further up the pitch to be effective. Noone was ever going to set him free with a through/long ball yesterday because he always picked it up with defenders to beat. Time will tell.

Will 4-3-3 work? In time probably, but at home I think we need to be prepared to go for 3 points against teams like Villa. The team was crying out for wingers yesterday, and something more than Viduka to aim at, but we were paranoid of losing the midfield. Part of the reason we lost the midfield at times was because their defence wasn't at all scared of Viduka's "pace" and pushed right up, leaving us outnumbered in that area. Two strikers up front and I doubt Villa would have had that luxury. When Owen came on, Villa sat a bit deeper. Villa would also have been happy about our lack of width or pace in midfield/up front as it made their job a lot easier.

Villa deserve some credit for a thoroughly professional away performance. But we made them look good because we never asked any questions of them. Teams shouldn't be coming to St James' and getting an easy ride like that. It was the performance that got me more than the result, 4 points out of 6 is a decent enough start but there's a reason we're almost 10 hours without a goal at St James' and it's because of tepid performances like this. Lots to work on.

Guest firetotheworks

The thing with the 4-3-3 vs 4-4-2 thing is that we can play 4-3-3 and then revert to 4-4-2 if things arent working out, but at the moment we need to get used to 4-3-3 and maybe draw a few games so that in the long run we can win more games. Going 4-4-2 to win one game might work but in the long run we could then go back to 4-3-3 and fuck up big time because we havent mastered it yet. I think Sam should stick with 4-3-3 and get it sorted because it can work and be a permanant fix. Going 4-4-2 would only be a short term fix with long term negative effects imo, and thats something that Sams setting about doing.

The thing with the 4-3-3 vs 4-4-2 thing is that we can play 4-3-3 and then revert to 4-4-2 if things arent working out, but at the moment we need to get used to 4-3-3 and maybe draw a few games so that in the long run we can win more games. Going 4-4-2 to win one game might work but in the long run we could then go back to 4-3-3 and f*** up big time because we havent mastered it yet. I think Sam should stick with 4-3-3 and get it sorted because it can work and be a permanant fix. Going 4-4-2 would only be a short term fix with long term negative effects imo, and thats something that Sams setting about doing.

I think the vast majority of the fans in the ground agreed yesterday that we needed to go two up front with two wingers quite early in the game. While there's 2 points to gain and 1 to lose, Sam's a cautious manager who would rather not lose the game and I think our approach reflected that. However there will be poor teams who come to St James' hoping we line up like that because they will do the same and look to cancel each other out and maybe nick a winner. We need to be prepared to go 4-4-2 when sides like Wigan come looking to stifle us.

Zoggy was shocking in the last 3rd, can't wait until Duff returns TBH

He did cut inside way too much, but I thought he felt a bit uncomfortable taking risks because of the huge gap he'd be leaving behind him. The couple of times he tried to skin his man in the first half he skipped past him with ease. Whether Sam told him to go easy or whether it was his own doing, we don't know. Like against Sampdoria, move him onto the wing and he'll be a lot more willing to take players on and make things happen. When Enrique is in the team and N'Zogbia can play left wing we'll see him taking on players more I think, as we did when he moved up to the wing against Sampdoria and changed the game.

Zoggy was shocking in the last 3rd, can't wait until Duff returns TBH

He did cut inside way too much, but I thought he felt a bit uncomfortable taking risks because of the huge gap he'd be leaving behind him. The couple of times he tried to skin his man in the first half he skipped past him with ease. Whether Sam told him to go easy or whether it was his own doing, we don't know. Like against Sampdoria, move him onto the wing and he'll be a lot more willing to take players on and make things happen. When Enrique is in the team and N'Zogbia can play left wing we'll see him taking on players more I think, as we did when he moved up to the wing against Sampdoria and changed the game.

True but it still doesn't sort out his way of thinking!

He just bloody hits the ball and hopes for the best at times, hate to admit it, but we really missed Dyer in that game!

Newcastle a été tenu en échec par Aston Villa pour le seul match sans but de samedi (0-0). L'ancien Parisien David Rozenhal a trouvé le cadre mais aussi les mains du gardien de Villa pour la meilleure occasion des Magpies juste avant la pause. Claudio Caçapa, l'ancien capitaine de l'OL a fait ses débuts sous le maillot de Newcastle. Le défenseur brésilien, rentré pour les dernières minutes, est le 1000e joueur à porter le fameux maillot noir et blanc. Mais sa plus belle ovation, White Park Lane l'a réservé à Michaël Owen, qui a joué la dernière demi-heure.

No need to translate, just a little summary from L'Equipe about our match...shame about the bit in bold!

Newcastle a été tenu en échec par Aston Villa pour le seul match sans but de samedi (0-0). L'ancien Parisien David Rozenhal a trouvé le cadre mais aussi les mains du gardien de Villa pour la meilleure occasion des Magpies juste avant la pause. Claudio Caçapa, l'ancien capitaine de l'OL a fait ses débuts sous le maillot de Newcastle. Le défenseur brésilien, rentré pour les dernières minutes, est le 1000e joueur à porter le fameux maillot noir et blanc. Mais sa plus belle ovation, White Park Lane l'a réservé à Michaël Owen, qui a joué la dernière demi-heure.

No need to translate, just a little summary from L'Equipe about our match...shame about the bit in bold!

Is that how it refers to our performance being a big pile of shit??

Think i'm getting the hang of this french lark!

Guest nufcraig

Well, after sitting there watching an hour and a bit of absolute tripe, I think I'll just blame Carr for everything as always :lol:

No, no.  You see Taylor is the scapegoat now, isn't he nufcraig?

Taylor was useless. Our worst player by far. Hopefully allardyce  will get it sorted and play rozehnal and capaca together or rozehnal and faye. Dont no how anyone can rate taylor highly. Hes an average defender that shouldnt be anywhere near our first team if we ever want to win anything.

Is that how it refers to our performance being a big pile of shit??

Think i'm getting the hang of this french lark!

Newcastle were held in check by Aston Villa for the only game on Saturday without a goal (0-0).  The former Parisian David Rozenhal found the target but also the hands of the Villa keeper for the Magpies' best chance before the break.  Claudio Caçapa, the former captain of OL (Olympique Lyonnais), made his debut in a Newcastle shirt.  The Brazilian defender, brought on for the last few minutes, is the 1000th player to don the famous black and white shirt.  But White Park Lane reserved the best ovation for Michael Owen, who played the last half hour.

Guest firetotheworks

Well, after sitting there watching an hour and a bit of absolute tripe, I think I'll just blame Carr for everything as always :lol:

No, no.  You see Taylor is the scapegoat now, isn't he nufcraig?

Taylor was useless. Our worst player by far. Hopefully allardyce  will get it sorted and play rozehnal and capaca together or rozehnal and faye. Dont no how anyone can rate taylor highly. Hes an average defender that shouldnt be anywhere near our first team if we ever want to win anything.

England call up syndrome I think. I'd keep him in, his performance wasnt poor enough to warrant hoying him out the side by any means.

He just bloody hits the ball and hopes for the best at times, hate to admit it, but we really missed Dyer in that game!

I agree about Dyer, I was a bit surprised at all the reaction when he left, because Smith is not a like for like replacement. We've lost valuable pace and direct running from midfield and people were happy about it, but yesterday provided a small reality check I think. I do believe Zoggy coming into midfield when Enrique's available will give us more options though, as we can go with two genuine wingers, an option not available to us yesterday and one Villa took advantage of I thought.

I only listened to this on the radio, and haven't seen any reaction but it sounded like we were lucky to even draw the game in the end.

Viduka sounded like he was about to die, our mid was working hard but creating nothing, and our only spark in Martins was taken off so Owen could have a run out so he's fitter for England.

What a waste, should of been 3pts, no excuses imo.

Guest firetotheworks

I agree about Dyer, I was a bit surprised at all the reaction when he left, because Smith is not a like for like replacement. We've lost valuable pace and direct running from midfield and people were happy about it, but yesterday provided a small reality check I think. I do believe Zoggy coming into midfield when Enrique's available will give us more options though, as we can go with two genuine wingers, an option not available to us yesterday and one Villa took advantage of I thought.

Aye I thought Villas distribution to their wide players was pretty good. As a result Milner and Smith had to track back and most of the time we won the ball back, but from this position we had very few outlets to get forward and ended up playing it to Butt or Geremi. If Enrique comes in at left back and Charles moves to the left of the midfield who do you drop? Smith, Geremi or Butt. Personally I think it should be Smith. Let Geremi and NZogbia get forward and let Butt hang back. Im pleased Sam hasnt thrown Jose in at the deep end too. Maybe bring him on as a sub in the last 10 minutes or so against Boro (or whenever Sam feels hes ready) to give him a taste of the pace etc.

Apart from his one comedy moment, can you give any examples to back that up? He was beaten in the air once or twice by Carew, but stood his ground. He was leading the defence yesterday, his positioning was excellent and he was playing it out along the ground, which is more than can be said for Rozehnal who was part of the problem with his long balls costing us possession and putting people under pressure. I thought Rozehnal "got away with it" a few times where he let players outmuscle him or get goal side of him, and he broke ranks once or twice as he got drawn towards the ball. I don't want to be too critical of him because he does have qualities, he's certainly quick, tall, seems to have a decent enough reading of the game and he's a calm head at the back, but as Sam alluded to before the Bolton game he can't afford to be doing these things in the Premiership because once managers are aware of his weaknesses they will look to expose him. Hopefully in time he'll get to grips with what the Premiership is all about, I think he has what it takes.

Getting back to Taylor, I thought he was very solid yesterday and certainly didn't look like a 21 year old in the heart of our defence. Very professional performance, barring his one 'moment'.