Maybe Gartside was right?

stozo

Guest skhwoody

Some people forget very quickly.

Anyone remember the quality of football under Dogleash, Gullit, SBR's first season, Glenda?

We were s****, we signed s**** and the tactics were s***.

We will play better football under Sam than all of those Managers. We'll play with more awareness and greater understanding of systems than we did under any of those AND we'll have a side of players that actually give a s****.

I love seeing Smith, Butt, Milner, Geremi etc getting stuck in rather than a team of Dyers or Jena's that fanny around and never give a s***.

We may not be pretty to watch right now but don't forget we've got Enrique to come in, we've got Owen to get fit, we've got Emre, Barton and Duff as well.

This thread is unbelievable.

Actually, it's not, but it is f****** embarrassing.

Well said

In a nutshell.

totally agree

Anyone remember the quality of football under Dogleash, Gullit, SBR's first season, Glenda?

We were shite, we signed shite and the tactics were shit.

We will play better football under Sam than all of those Managers. We'll play with more awareness and greater understanding of systems than we did under any of those AND we'll have a side of players that actually give a shite.

I love seeing Smith, Butt, Milner, Geremi etc getting stuck in rather than a team of Dyers or Jena's that fanny around and never give a shit.

We may not be pretty to watch right now but don't forget we've got Enrique to come in, we've got Owen to get fit, we've got Emre, Barton and Duff as well.

Actually, it's not, but it is fucking embarrassing.

Then you should be happy with our performance yesterday.

Guest Guinness

We will play better football under Sam than all of those Managers. We'll play with more awareness and greater understanding of systems than we did under any of those AND we'll have a side of players that actually give a s****.

I love seeing Smith, Butt, Milner, Geremi etc getting stuck in rather than a team of Dyers or Jena's that fanny around and never give a s***.

Well said.

Emre is probably our most creative player, I know he's not had the best of times so far, but he's shown flashes of brilliance such as his goal against Reading last season. Hopefully he's the sort of player who'll really benefit from working under Allardyce. At the moment Zog is restricted to playing at left back, but as soon as Jose is ready ready for the league he'll give us another option in midfield. We all know what he can do when on form, he loves picking up the ball and running at players making him a real threat. Duff and Barton are more long term, but will both hopefully add a lot to the side when they're fit again. I'm hoping we'll see the Damian Duff of old when he returns and not the player we saw last season.

Two games in and this sort of talk?

There's a contradiction when people moan and moan and moan about the previous chairman and what a fucking mess the club was, then new people come in, with a new manager, and then the same people moan that things don't go exactly according to plan after two games (incidentally, exactly the same thing happened with us).

If it was really as bad under the old regime as you say it was, why are you surprised that it takes more than two league matches to fix?

There's a contradiction when people moan and moan and moan about the previous chairman and what a fucking mess the club was, then new people come in, with a new manager, and then the same people moan that things don't go exactly according to plan after two games (incidentally, exactly the same thing happened with us).

If it was really as bad under the old regime as you say it was, why are you surprised that it takes more than two league matches to fix?

Sense.

Guest firetotheworks

There's a contradiction when people moan and moan and moan about the previous chairman and what a f****** mess the club was, then new people come in, with a new manager, and then the same people moan that things don't go exactly according to plan after two games (incidentally, exactly the same thing happened with us).

The voice of reason from an outsiders perspective, Ive been expecting that. Totally agree brummie

We will play better football under Sam than all of those Managers. We'll play with more awareness and greater understanding of systems than we did under any of those AND we'll have a side of players that actually give a shite.

I love seeing Smith, Butt, Milner, Geremi etc getting stuck in rather than a team of Dyers or Jena's that fanny around and never give a shit.

Baggio,

I'm not worried put it that way.

These players care and I like to see that. I've got no desire to see Bramble's, Dyers, Babayaro's or Jenas' stroll around the pitch not giving a shit and then getting arseholed in Newcastle every Saturday night.

I'm happy with 4 points out of 6 and I'm really happy with Big Sam's craic in the press.

Baggio,

These players care and I like to see that. I've got no desire to see Bramble's, Dyers, Babayaro's or Jenas' stroll around the pitch not giving a shit and then getting arseholed in Newcastle every Saturday night.

I'm happy with 4 points out of 6 and I'm really happy with Big Sam's craic in the press.

Why name shite players? I'd rather see Robert walking around the like he did in his first few seasons here than all of those grafters put together.

Having a midfield full of battlers doesn't interest me one bit, especially when there's no pace or movement in the team, I'm not having a go at Allardyce here and I'm happy with what he's done with the club but that performance yesterday was shite, it's what you get from a team full of grafters.

Lets hope he realises his mistakes and we never have to see a trio of Butt, Geremi and Smith playing in midfield together again.

Baggio,

Why name shite players? I'd rather see Robert walking around the like he did in his first few seasons here than all of those grafters put together.

Having a midfield full of battlers doesn't interest me one bit, especially when there's no pace or movement in the team, I'm not having a go at Allardyce here and I'm happy with what he's done with the club but that performance yesterday was shite, it's what you get from a team full of grafters.

Lets hope he realises his mistakes and we never have to see a trio of Butt, Geremi and Smith playing in midfield together again.

Bollocks.

Robert? You've got to be having a laugh. He'd turn up for one game in nine...........in the meantime he'd blaze free kicks over the bar from 40+ yards.

Anyway - lets not waste time discussing this.

You are clearly knee-jerking. Get a grip lad.

We've never been this well off for years.

PS: I wasn't intentionally naming shite players, but, if I was Robert would have been in the list.

Baggio,

Bollocks.

Robert? You've got to be having a laugh. He'd turn up for one game in nine...........in the meantime he'd blaze free kicks over the bar from 40+ yards.

PS: I wasn't intentionally naming shite players, but, if I was Robert would have been in the list.

Good lord, one of the biggest influinces in turning us into a Champions League team was shite?! :lol:

And you're telling me to get a grip?! Jesus Wept. :lol:

Baggio,

Bollocks.

Good lord, one of the biggest influinces in turning us into a Champions League team was shite?! :lol:

You do need to Baggio. You're talking shite I'm afraid. In fact, most of your points about yesterdays performance are baseless and you're coming across as a bit of a whining twat.

Oh, and as already stated, I'd have a Smith, Butt or Milner over that lazy bastard Robert EVERY DAY OF THE WEEK.

Baggio,

Bollocks.

You do need to Baggio. You're talking shite I'm afraid. In fact, most of your points about yesterdays performance are baseless and you're coming across as a bit of a whining twat.

Oh, and as already stated, I'd have a Smith, Butt or Milner over that lazy bastard Robert EVERY DAY OF THE WEEK.

What points make me a "Whining twat" then? By pointing out we played shit and didn't create anything?

As for you preferring Smith, Butt and Milner over Robert, you obviously are someone who prefers grafters over players with genuine talent, perhaps you should watch Sunday league instead...

Baggio,

These players care and I like to see that. I've got no desire to see Bramble's, Dyers, Babayaro's or Jenas' stroll around the pitch not giving a s*** and then getting arseholed in Newcastle every Saturday night.

Why name s**** players? I'd rather see Robert walking around the like he did in his first few seasons here than all of those grafters put together.

Having a midfield full of battlers doesn't interest me one bit, especially when there's no pace or movement in the team, I'm not having a go at Allardyce here and I'm happy with what he's done with the club but that performance yesterday was s****, it's what you get from a team full of grafters.

Bollocks.

PS: I wasn't intentionally naming s**** players, but, if I was Robert would have been in the list.

You do realise that you've just hammered 2 (half) of our regular midfielders in the side that finished 3/4/5?

There's a contradiction when people moan and moan and moan about the previous chairman and what a f****** mess the club was, then new people come in, with a new manager, and then the same people moan that things don't go exactly according to plan after two games (incidentally, exactly the same thing happened with us).

The voice of reason from an outsiders perspective, Ive been expecting that. Totally agree brummie

Yes, me too Brummie - I have been a Newcastle supporter for over 40 years and I have never been so disgusted with some of the immature reaction from other fans on this site. I saw us win our last trophy in 1969, and I felt as hurt as any when we lost to Hereford in 1972, but the reactions of some fans today is unbelievable.

There were justifiable complaints about the previous set-up for a couple of years and the club was going nowhere with it - we get what everyone has been praying for, and suddenly, the team is expected to play like Brazil 1970 as soon as the season starts - incredible !!

We've got 4 points from 2 games, Man Utd have not won 1 game from 3, and the top 4 are still below us.

Incidentally, you've got the makings of a good side, Brummie..!

Once we have Barton running in and creating havoc, and the creativity of Emre I'm sure we'll be a much more interesting team. Big Sam's still trying to sign more players so that will improve us, and as time passes and our players mould more into Big Sam's system we'll play better and better. Under Roeder we played bad football and lost. We had a great win against Bolton, and even when we played poorly at home, we still kept a clean sheet and got a point out of it. I think that's a possitive.

Guest robertbobo

This is a shocking thread!

Are you racking your brain hard enough? Try the 5 - 0 loss to Birmingham at home last season.

I for one thought we were no where near as bad as people on here are claiming. Our attacking play wasn't as good today because we couldn't play off Viduka who struggled badly, and was dominated by Laursen.

The 5-1 home defeat to Birmingham was because we had a manager who never changed tactics throughout the 90 minutes and in this particular match virtually a team of players who didn't give a s***.

On Saturday we again had a manager who never changed tactics throughout the 90 minutes - from start to finish we just lumped the ball to Viduka. I made excuses for the same performance in the second half at Hull pre-season, can't this time.

Gartside is so clever he's since gone into hiding after last week. Yes. replacing Sam Allardyce with Miss Piggy was a masterstroke.  :clap:

4 points from 6 is ok for me. Villa aren't goint to be easy to beat this season, and while we could have done better, we could easily have lost this game last season. We lacked something going forward, but I'm not too concerned, I'm sure we'll score plenty in matches to come. At least we were solid and combative and that's the foundation on which good sides are built.

This is a shocking thread!

Are you racking your brain hard enough? Try the 5 - 0 loss to Birmingham at home last season.

I for one thought we were no where near as bad as people on here are claiming. Our attacking play wasn't as good today because we couldn't play off Viduka who struggled badly, and was dominated by Laursen.

The 5-1 home defeat to Birmingham was because we had a manager who never changed tactics throughout the 90 minutes and in this particular match virtually a team of players who didn't give a s***.

On Saturday we again had a manager who never changed tactics throughout the 90 minutes - from start to finish we just lumped the ball to Viduka. I made excuses for the same performance in the second half at Hull pre-season, can't this time.

I though Viduka was subbed at the 75 minute mark and at the 60th minute we changed from a 4-3-3 to a 4-4-2?

Yes obviously we never changed tactics for 90 minutes!

Did you watch the game?

Guest robertbobo

we changed from a 4-3-3 to a 4-4-2?

Yes obviously we never changed tactics for 90 minutes!

Did you watch the game?

4-3-3 - 4-4-2 - Does it matter? We still lumped the ball up the park all day. And yes I know when Viduka went off - but guess what - we still lumped the ball up the park. TACTICS NEVER CHANGED.

Add to that Big Sam said in an after match interview that he tweeked things to counter act a Villa change. Surely to God we should be making the changes first as the home team and let them worry about us. Saturday was shite.

Unbeaten start 4 out of 6 two tough games Bolton and Villa. The side are still learning about each other as is SA. We perhaps need to look at playing 442 at home with a bit more creativity in the middle. YOu only have to look at how ManU are struggling to bed in with new players and the loss of Rooney. These things take time.

Didn't see the game so I won't comment.

What's with the 'YOu' everywhere Parky? Keep noticing it.

Anyway: click.

Defence is still top priority

Aug 20 2007

by Paul Gilder, The Journal

SAM Allardyce will not deviate from his defensive targets after insisting the free-flowing football that Newcastle’s supporters covet must be built on solid foundations.

Although the Premier League season’s first fixture at St James’s Park left fans frustrated, Allardyce made no apologies for the contentment he took from Saturday’s stalemate against Aston Villa.

The Magpies have not scored a league goal on home soil since February 10, but although a third 0-0 draw in six top-flight matches on Tyneside extended the drought to 560 minutes, it is in defence that the United boss is most keen to strengthen.

Talks with Bolton and Barcelona are scheduled to resume this morning as Allardyce attempts to add Abdoulaye Faye and Juliano Belletti (pictured left) to his squad. And although he is concentrating on matters at the back, the 52-year-old last night rejected suggestions his footballing philosophies demonstrate a negative bent.

“The team that wins the league tends to have the most clean sheets,” explained a manager who watched as a side containing Michael Owen, Mark Viduka, Obafemi Martins and Shola Ameobi failed to break down their opponents in his first competitive fixture in charge at St James’s Park. “It’s about more than creating goals in the Premier League, and keeping a clean sheet is important.

“You always need that before you score. People perceive that as negative but it’s not. It’s the biggest part of being a free-flowing attacking team. If you do the right things in the right areas you end up nullifying the opposition and you become creative from there. If the front players know that the back players are doing well, the service becomes better.” Newcastle were last night again linked with Deco, but Belletti is the Barcelona player Allardyce is pursuing, although sources in Spain have suggested an initial bid for the experienced Brazilian has been rebuffed.

A deal for Faye is understood to be at a more advanced stage and the Senegalese was again omitted from the Bolton squad at the weekend. Allardyce last week confirmed his interest in Faye, but with relations between the two clubs still strained, the former Reebok Stadium boss will hope there are no unforeseen hitches. Allardyce

has had mixed fortunes in attempting to lure former colleagues to the North-East. Mike Forde, Bolton’s former performance director, is expected to join Chelsea this week. He will join Dave Worthington, Allardyce’s former chief scout, who has rejected the chance to resume a successful relationship at St James’s Park in order to continue his career at Stamford Bridge.

The Newcastle boss will hope he has more success in striking a deal for Faye, a player he believes can further increase the resilience he feels will be crucial in his attempts to deliver success at Newcastle.

“What you have got to do is make sure you don’t lose,” he said. “That was something Newcastle did last season. We’re undefeated in two games and we’ve got our first clean sheet. The quicker we can get into double figures in clean-sheet terms, the quicker we can get into the top half of the table.

“Although we didn’t perform as well as we would have liked going forward (against Villa), we were always in a position to capitalise on a mistake – especially with Michael Owen, Mark Viduka and Obafemi Martins on the pitch. I understand the fans might have gone home disappointed, but they shouldn’t be. If we stick together, we will win more games than we lose.”

Allardyce will seek updates on Geremi and Martins this morning. Both players departed the pitch with unspecified injuries at the weekend, although neither problem is thought to be serious.

What's with the 'YOu' everywhere Parky? Keep noticing it.

Anyway: click.

Defence is still top priority

Aug 20 2007

by Paul Gilder, The Journal

SAM Allardyce will not deviate from his defensive targets after insisting the free-flowing football that Newcastle?s supporters covet must be built on solid foundations.

Although the Premier League season?s first fixture at St James?s Park left fans frustrated, Allardyce made no apologies for the contentment he took from Saturday?s stalemate against Aston Villa.

The Magpies have not scored a league goal on home soil since February 10, but although a third 0-0 draw in six top-flight matches on Tyneside extended the drought to 560 minutes, it is in defence that the United boss is most keen to strengthen.

Talks with Bolton and Barcelona are scheduled to resume this morning as Allardyce attempts to add Abdoulaye Faye and Juliano Belletti (pictured left) to his squad. And although he is concentrating on matters at the back, the 52-year-old last night rejected suggestions his footballing philosophies demonstrate a negative bent.

?The team that wins the league tends to have the most clean sheets,? explained a manager who watched as a side containing Michael Owen, Mark Viduka, Obafemi Martins and Shola Ameobi failed to break down their opponents in his first competitive fixture in charge at St James?s Park. ?It?s about more than creating goals in the Premier League, and keeping a clean sheet is important.

?You always need that before you score. People perceive that as negative but it?s not. It?s the biggest part of being a free-flowing attacking team. If you do the right things in the right areas you end up nullifying the opposition and you become creative from there. If the front players know that the back players are doing well, the service becomes better.? Newcastle were last night again linked with Deco, but Belletti is the Barcelona player Allardyce is pursuing, although sources in Spain have suggested an initial bid for the experienced Brazilian has been rebuffed.

A deal for Faye is understood to be at a more advanced stage and the Senegalese was again omitted from the Bolton squad at the weekend. Allardyce last week confirmed his interest in Faye, but with relations between the two clubs still strained, the former Reebok Stadium boss will hope there are no unforeseen hitches. Allardyce

has had mixed fortunes in attempting to lure former colleagues to the North-East. Mike Forde, Bolton?s former performance director, is expected to join Chelsea this week. He will join Dave Worthington, Allardyce?s former chief scout, who has rejected the chance to resume a successful relationship at St James?s Park in order to continue his career at Stamford Bridge.

The Newcastle boss will hope he has more success in striking a deal for Faye, a player he believes can further increase the resilience he feels will be crucial in his attempts to deliver success at Newcastle.

?What you have got to do is make sure you don?t lose,? he said. ?That was something Newcastle did last season. We?re undefeated in two games and we?ve got our first clean sheet. The quicker we can get into double figures in clean-sheet terms, the quicker we can get into the top half of the table.

?Although we didn?t perform as well as we would have liked going forward (against Villa), we were always in a position to capitalise on a mistake ? especially with Michael Owen, Mark Viduka and Obafemi Martins on the pitch. I understand the fans might have gone home disappointed, but they shouldn?t be. If we stick together, we will win more games than we lose.?

Allardyce will seek updates on Geremi and Martins this morning. Both players departed the pitch with unspecified injuries at the weekend, although neither problem is thought to be serious.

Bit of a sticky upper caps key I'm afraid.