Maybe Gartside was right?

stozo

About Allardyce's football driving fans away?

Seriously, I'm racking my brains to think of a more boring game I've watched involving Newcastle. The midfield Allardyce has created was especially bad, defensively solid but showed naff all going forward. I seriously hope today was a one off and we don't keep playing this defensively, especially at home.

We needed Emre or Barton on the bench to replace Smith/Butt, they created NOTHING.

Seriously how many times did our forwards get the ball from the midfield? Our only attacking threat was Milner, as last season.

Seriously, I'm racking my brains to think of a more boring game I've watched involving Newcastle. The midfield Allardyce has created was especially bad, defensively solid but showed naff all going forward. I seriously hope today was a one off and we don't keep playing this defensively, especially at home.

Because Marton O'Neill is a cavalier manager who never sets his team out defensively... any chance that might have contributed.

Guest JamesD

I guess maybe he's being forced to play such a negative midfield with emre and barton being out?  Really hope thats the case, because i'd hate to see this tandem play too many games together again, espescially at home games against teams we should be attacking.

Nah I cant really see it going the same here as it did at Bolton. Look at the stick the lads got today, after just one game. BS knows he cant do this sort of thing at home, and has already said so.

Because Marton O'Neill is a cavalier manager who never sets his team out defensively... any chance that might have contributed.

Didn't stop us beating them 3-1 against virtaully the same team last season.

Guest Phil K

I've seen some abysmal Newcastle games - and as for Gartside - I'm sure he's delighted his team being managed by a useless scouse dwarf.

Guest JamesD

Way to early for this sort of thread.

Barton is hardly a creative force, he is an all action hardworking midfielder.

But he's a driving force through the middle, something we havent had either of the games this season. Him +Emre+geremi/butt is the way to go.

Who else could we have played in the middle?

Noone, he could/should have taken Geremi out and put him on the right. And gone 442. We so badly need a Diouf-like player upfront if we're playing 433 and could do with Emre back aswell. There was a shocking lack of creativity/passing/anything going forward.

Seriously, I'm racking my brains to think of a more boring game I've watched involving Newcastle.

Racking your brains?.. what?!  Try numerous games last season...

We've played badley one game, oh no lets all panic  :frantic:  Get a grip!!

Oh for fucks sake, we are a new team who are still learning, playing the most boring away team in the Premiership. Nothing is going to be perfect this season. In fact, I think this is the reality check some people needed.

Didn't stop us beating them 3-1 against virtaully the same team last season.

any result against them last year was more by luck than judgement. You cant just say because we beat them last year we shoudl beat them this year. Dont work like that.

Way to early for this sort of thread.

Barton is hardly a creative force, he is an all action hardworking midfielder.

But he's a driving force through the middle, something we havent had either of the games this season. Him +Emre+geremi/butt is the way to go.

Barton isn't the answer. We need an ball-player, and someone who can carry the ball - Emre.

ultimately if we're successful the fans will be excited, regardless of the style of play.

You can't be successful playing a defensive system against a defensive team. You just end up with a stalemate.

Oh for fucks sake, we are a new team who are still learning, playing the most boring away team in the Premiership. Nothing is going to be perfect this season. In fact, I think this is the reality check some people needed.

Exactly what he said

Guest JamesD

Exactly what he said

the thing is, its the first home game of essentially a new era, and we play sloppy longball football.  Its not like we tried to go forward and were stopped by an amazingly orginized villa side.  the game plan we set out with was way too negative for the match.

Exactly what he said

the thing is, its the first home game of essentially a new era, and we play sloppy longball football.  Its not like we tried to go forward and were stopped by an amazingly orginized villa side.  the game plan we set out with was way too negative for the match.

Believe or not our game plan wasn't negative. I think thats demonstrated by the fact that straight after the first whistle we drove forward and got a corner. It wasn't supposed to be a "negative" performance as you call it. Villa were very organsied and there wasn't a lot of space in midfield due to both teams playing 4 3 3. The midfield was far too crowded (not Big Sam's fault) for a game of open football and there wasn't much we could do about this, it was mainly down to Villa who were hardworking and organised. Don't forget they played very well at Liverpool last week, it's not as if we just failed to beat Derby or something. So many fans are giving knee-jerk reactions, after last week it was "we should be aiming for fifth", and now its "we can't even beat villa, we're a long ball team". Get a hold of yourself and give Sam the time he needs to do his thing.

This is a shocking thread!

Are you racking your brain hard enough? Try the 5 - 0 loss to Birmingham at home last season.

I for one thought we were no where near as bad as people on here are claiming. Our attacking play wasn't as good today because we couldn't play off Viduka who struggled badly, and was dominated by Laursen.