Maybe Gartside was right?

stozo

I think we will get there and its not a bad start.

However, I don't buy into the excuse that there are new players needing time to gel - Man City have a load of new folk and they don't seem to have any problems.

As usual the comments from Allardyce are uplifting. They're not excuses, just the sound of a man talking sense as he sees it and I for one agree with them.

I might not have enjoyed the football too much but two games in with a completely new regime and they're all steps in the right direction.

For years we've been a soft touch at the back. Goals (and points) literally given away. I for one am glad that's finally being looked at. If improvement at the back comes at the initial expense of attacking flair then so be it.

Sure, goals win games, and we need to improve on our forward play, but rubbish goals have all too often won games for the opposition, without them particularly trying. We need a slight re-think when at home, and the return of some currently unavailable players. I assume Sam knows this.

Guest Armchair Pundit

This thread is kneejerk-tastic! Second game of the season, players still to sign, players still to get fit, you must be kidding me!

However, I don't buy into the excuse that there are new players needing time to gel - Man City have a load of new folk and they don't seem to have any problems.

What a pathetic comment. Man City have rode their luck and I'm sure that SGE wouldn't say that they're the finished article. It takes time to build a squad, a team, for the players to learn what the manager wants of them, and for the manager to get to know the capabilities of his squad.

It would be nice to watch some entertaining football, but if we win under big sam's long-ball tactic (which was all we did in the villa match) then i'll be happy.

From our summer buys it seems blatantly obvious what alladyce's plan was- bring in rough solid passers and people who can lob the ball upfield, if he was planning attacking football we'd see some flair players being bought.. its why he bought viduka; to have a big man up there to target.

Plus you can see why sam made geremi captain- all he does is toss the ball up. but you'll hear no complaints from me: long ball or no long ball whatever it takes to get 3  points.

This thread is kneejerk-tastic! Second game of the season, players still to sign, players still to get fit, you must be kidding me!

Agreed it is silly to say it's all fucked after 2 games. BUT, in exactly the same way, its also stupid to say "we're going ot be top 4/6, we're going to be great" based on the same 2 games.

Guest fishman09

reading thorugh all the posts i can sorta see everyones point of view here.

i think, at home at least, we are still suffering from the perceptions and failings of the previous regimes.  the lack of goals at home, coupled with the truly dire perfermances under roader have, in my mind, forced a sense of jadedness on the fans.  if we had at least offered some form of style under roader, then this transition would seem easier.  we finished last season playing sh!te football and on sundays performance not much appears to have changed....no goals, no flair etc etc.  what people perhaps can't see, again due to the pummelling our senses have taken over the last 18+ months, is the overall improvememnt to the defence, the fitness and desire of the squad.  Allardyce seems to be sorting the defence out, which short term, will affect our attacking flair.  i have no doubt that once he is able to field his first choice backline and midfield, we will see vastly better perferomances.

lets be honest here...at the end of last season, if someone had said we'd have a new owner, Allardyce as manager, the sh!t players out of the club, good players coming in, a solid defence with strength in depth and 4 points from 6 after 2 games i'd have smacked them for taking the p!ss...but hey here we are :)

fish

What a pathetic comment. Man City have rode their luck and I'm sure that SGE wouldn't say that they're the finished article. It takes time to build a squad, a team, for the players to learn what the manager wants of them, and for the manager to get to know the capabilities of his squad.

Totally disagree, they look very good to me but where did I say they are the finished article?  They have a load of new, foreign players who are playing very well together and plaudits have to be given to the manager - my comment was a FACT - 3 wins out of 3 - not supposition - unlike your comment that they have rode their luck. 

We've had almost as good a start, if you're going purely by results though. Do you reckon they were fortunate yesterday or not? Either way, to suggest new players don't need time to gel just because Man City have won their first 3 games this season is a bit much. Of course players need time to settle in. Some don't, obviously, but the majority do. City might tail off and the new players might get found out etc. I do think Man City look decent and they have done very well but that's not the point, their start to the season says nothing conclusive about whether or not new players and systems need to be bedded in. Evidence suggests new players (and managers) need time.

Totally disagree, they look very good to me but where did I say they are the finished article?  They have a load of new, foreign players who are playing very well together and plaudits have to be given to the manager - my comment was a FACT - 3 wins out of 3 - not supposition - unlike your comment that they have rode their luck. 

Aye they played Manyoo off the park!

Guest elpapi

so what's the score with sam's backroomstaff?? i read somewhere that mike forde and allardyce's former chief scout were going to chelsea??? wtf?  :knuppel2: any more news on that??

If there is one good thing to come out of this thread it is gonna be the newly acquired knowledge of who not to bother getting into a debate with because they quite clearly havent a clue what they're talking about! Ya can tell who they are because they're the ones bemoaning the teams efforts after 2 games! Couldnt believe it when i heard booing at FT. 

We've had almost as good a start, if you're going purely by results though. Do you reckon they were fortunate yesterday or not? Either way, to suggest new players don't need time to gel just because Man City have won their first 3 games this season is a bit much. Of course players need time to settle in. Some don't, obviously, but the majority do. City might tail off and the new players might get found out etc. I do think Man City look decent and they have done very well but that's not the point, their start to the season says nothing conclusive about whether or not new players and systems need to be bedded in. Evidence suggests new players (and managers) need time.

Totally agree and ManC will have their sticky patch. We'll see how much their new boys 'fancy it' with a frost on the ground. [souness/]

If there is one good thing to come out of this thread it is gonna be the newly acquired knowledge of who not to bother getting into a debate with because they quite clearly havent a clue what they're talking about! Ya can tell who they are because they're the ones bemoaning the teams efforts after 2 games! Couldnt believe it when i heard booing at FT.  

yes, the kind of football we payed, and the performances of some of the team deserve PRIASE. We should be thanking them for being fucking rubbish, i don't know how we have the nerve to expect any kind of competence or ability.

yes, the kind of football we payed, and the performances of some of the team deserve PRIASE. We should be thanking them for being f****** rubbish, i don't know how we have the nerve to expect any kind of competence or ability.

Loyalest football supporters eh? Most fickle doesn't quite scan sadly.