The way I see it (4-3-3 at home, with wor players)

Guest Knightrider

Did we really have the lion's share of posession? Seemed to me like gave the ball away far too often to have really controlled the match. FWIW, I thought Villa were the better team attacking and defending. Our ball retention was horrendous and our main issue today.

I look forward to Emre's return, at least he'll be positive in possession. Same goes for Barton, they'll shine together

Crying out for Duff today tbh, the real Duff, not that Rat faced c***'s version

so you're playing emre and barton in the middle with duff out wide.

yeah, what's the issue here?

There is nothing wrong with the system it is just he players need tim to adjust the tactics. We can't win every game we should be optimistic about the future. Sam is the first manger who try to play different systems we should appreciate that fact and support him. We have a lots of bits in the midfild all we need is a link up player a wise one who takes the ball from the defenders and link up well with the attackers and I think with Emer and Barton still coming back from injuries we have a good chance of addressing our problems.

Ashley invested 30 mil this week he plan to invest that on the playing side of the team but he felt that it is better to invest it for the debt we have so many positives to take from the past 3 months and try to move forward than complaining on temporary results.

being brutally honest, the players should dictate our system

our most capable attacking players imo are;

Owen

Duff

Milner

Martins

Emre

Viduka

Barton

Smith

with the exception of Emre and possibly Duff, none of those players are suited to 4-3-3

I'm still a bit surprised people are saying that was a 433.  Because it wasn't.  Maybe when you take the players out on the pitch and have to put them into some sort of SKY Graphic that demands a formation, but in reality, I don't think that's what a 433 really is.  Why it looked so disjointed today, who knows?  Poor selection, an off day, organized opposition, the slick conditions, etc.  People need to stop judging this tactical system based on one performance.  Not only has the idea of Newcastle playing a 433 gone out the window in 90 mins of football, so has the idea of the 433 in general in the minds of most people.  Show some patience. 

Did we really have the lion's share of posession? Seemed to me like gave the ball away far too often to have really controlled the match. FWIW, I thought Villa were the better team attacking and defending. Our ball retention was horrendous and our main issue today.

thats what I thought too.

Laursen(?) had Viduka's number in the air but we still persisted in hoofing it up in the hope that he'd get lucky. When it was played in to his feet, twice I think, he turned and played someone in each time creating a chance. I know we haven't got a fit creative midfielder yet so i'm not too concerned with our lack of invention there yet.

Taylor got caught in possession a couple of times in the second half while waiting for someone ahead of him to 'show' themselves, we can't allow ourselves to become too static................never mind its just like watching Brazil, its a copy of Bolton.

I know he's the next to get replaced but I thought Carr didn't do too badly yesterday.

I'm still a bit surprised people are saying that was a 433.  Because it wasn't.  Maybe when you take the players out on the pitch and have to put them into some sort of SKY Graphic that demands a formation, but in reality, I don't think that's what a 433 really is.  Why it looked so disjointed today, who knows?  Poor selection, an off day, organized opposition, the slick conditions, etc.  People need to stop judging this tactical system based on one performance.  Not only has the idea of Newcastle playing a 433 gone out the window in 90 mins of football, so has the idea of the 433 in general in the minds of most people.  Show some patience. 

If that wasn't 4-3-3 then I'm off to join the Toon Ultras. (searches for slip ons)

Laursen(?) had Viduka's number in the air but we still persisted in hoofing it up in the hope that he'd get lucky. When it was played in to his feet, twice I think, he turned and played someone in each time creating a chance. I know we haven't got a fit creative midfielder yet so i'm not too concerned with our lack of invention there yet.

Taylor got caught in possession a couple of times in the second half while waiting for someone ahead of him to 'show' themselves, we can't allow ourselves to become too static................never mind its just like watching Brazil, its a copy of Bolton.

I know he's the next to get replaced but I thought Carr didn't do too badly yesterday.

Carr was caught out of position way too often. They rarely attacked our left hand side because Zoggy showed he could handle it. Carr couldn't handle Young and that's why most of their attacks came down our right hand side.

I think we have to take into account the conditions as well. Villa are obviously hard to break down (as teams found out last season and will find out this season) but with the wet conditions, it made it harder for the players to control the ball and/or develop some slick and quick passes. It'll get better man. Relax. I don't understand why most of the fans seem to be demanding us to be title challengers instantly considering how the past couple of seasons have gone for us.

Carr was caught out of position way too often. They rarely attacked our left hand side because Zoggy showed he could handle it. Carr couldn't handle Young and that's why most of their attacks came down our right hand side.

I think we have to take into account the conditions as well. Villa are obviously hard to break down (as teams found out last season and will find out this season) but with the wet conditions, it made it harder for the players to control the ball and/or develop some slick and quick passes. It'll get better man. Relax. I don't understand why most of the fans seem to be demanding us to be title challengers instantly considering how the past couple of seasons have gone for us.

Carr only got done when against pace, other than that he was ok (still gotta/gonna be replaced though). Zog isn't a left-back, he did a canny job but due to the lack of invention in the team yesterday it was only his and Milner's runs that got us going. Once they put Anglonher(?) on him he couldn't get forward as much. That'll be sorted once Enrique gets fit/playing, with Zog ahead of him on the left with any luck.

Pre the season start i'd have been happy with a single number finishing position, still am, we've gotta adapt and build and i'm happy in that respect. Just don't like the 'hump it up front' at every chance, I know we haven't got any fit creative midfielders yet and that'll come, but I don't want them to get into the habit of hoofing it up in hope when we've only got one tall guy who can heed the baal and even he'd prefer it to be played to feet.

On the plus side for yesterday, yes, Villa are a hard team to break down, and now also it appears are we.

As I see it, the midfield three weren't the issue here.

We started the game as an adventurous and ambitious 433 with Martins on the left and Milner on the right, and the players were finding the space to receive passes from the midfield three.

However, it was clear after ten minutes that Carr couldn't cope with Young and Agbonlahor, so Milner was moved to the right to help out defensively, and Martins went to the left.

That turned us into a disjointed 451, Milner was hugging the touchline and running down dead-end alleyways, and Martins seemed lost and stifled off the ball. Viduka was completely isolated.

Thus, when the midfield three had the ball, they had nowhere to go. At least Butt tried to get the ball to the wingers, but they were never afforded the time or space to receive the ball. Overall, the midfield three did well to help us retain 58% of the possession.

After Milner helped out, Carr did OK, (apart from when again facing Young and Agbonlahor on the counter), but without the tactical readjustment, we would have been thrashed yesterday. Fact is, we had to stifle our offensive start to accomodate a weak link. On that basis, Carr must be replaced.

When Enrique's fit, N'Zogbia has to play in midfield for me as he's the only one with a bit of flair out of midfielders (apart from Emre perhaps). The others are good players but they're all 'grafters' really and even though they offer slightly different things they are all much of a muchness. I'm not saying Milner is identical to Butt before someone points out they aren't the same.

Guest firetotheworks

Time for a rethink Sam.

After 2 matches?

I'm sure he's listening.

Home tactics and formation. I hope people don't think I'm writing us after after just 2 games, but it doesn't take a scientist to know that our lineup/formation/tactics need to change which I'm sure they will. I took many positives out of our game though so I'm not too downhearted.

Dont you think that our tactics/formation/lineup might be actually be good and that your judging of the qualities of all of these from one game is a bit of a kneejerk reaction? Granted, yesterday they didnt work, but apart from towards the end when tiredness set in and a few passes went astray I thought that our shape defensively was solid. Going forward I think there were too many players conscious of protecting the back four from midfield and only Butt could see that it was counter productive and becoming fruitless. Had it been Smith or Geremi running forward and Butt constantly protecting then I think we would have created more chances. We drew, I dont think we played well, but it wasnt a bad performance. It'll take a little time but I think we should stick with it, you dont change your football philosophy after a home draw against Villa.

As I see it, the midfield three weren't the issue here.

We started the game as an adventurous and ambitious 433 with Martins on the left and Milner on the right, and the players were finding the space to receive passes from the midfield three.

However, it was clear after ten minutes that Carr couldn't cope with Young and Agbonlahor, so Milner was moved to the right to help out defensively, and Martins went to the left.

That turned us into a disjointed 451, Milner was hugging the touchline and running down dead-end alleyways, and Martins seemed lost and stifled off the ball. Viduka was completely isolated.

Thus, when the midfield three had the ball, they had nowhere to go. At least Butt tried to get the ball to the wingers, but they were never afforded the time or space to receive the ball. Overall, the midfield three did well to help us retain 58% of the possession.

After Milner helped out, Carr did OK, (apart from when again facing Young and Agbonlahor on the counter), but without the tactical readjustment, we would have been thrashed yesterday. Fact is, we had to stifle our offensive start to accomodate a weak link. On that basis, Carr must be replaced.

spot on

Lack of brains in midfield

the only half way creative player yesterday was the Zog and he's a fullback..........  I thought we could have done with Nobby in the midfield and Emre 9when hes available) would be a bloody good idea to

Guest firetotheworks

I get pissed off with some fans at times like. The guy next to me was saying that Geremi is as unproductive as Parker and that 'it was roeder and souness all over again' after 20 fuckin minutes. I dunno what some people expect.

Lack of brains in midfield

the only half way creative player yesterday was the Zog and he's a fullback..........  I thought we could have done with Nobby in the midfield and Emre 9when hes available) would be a bloody good idea to

Emre has generally been shite when he's played. Classic case of a player becoming 'good' due to a spell out of the team imo. He does offer something different to the others though.

i said it when i walked out of the reebok last week, we cant play like that at home.

4-3-3 away is not a problem, but at home it just wont work.

if we had gone 4-4-2 yesterday we would have done them imo

Even with everyone fit we do not have the right players for a 4-3-3, it worked against Bolton because they were utter shite, but against a decent team we will get murdered if we play a 4-3-3.

Stick to a 4-4-2!!