A thought regarding Smith

DJ_NUFC

It's based on a career of averageness though Lenny, not one f*cking game.

what we need is grit and steel in our team before we can progress any further, his attributes suit what we need at the moment. Im not his biggest fan but we have to be patient and let him settle before jumping on his back.

Guest eyeball_tickler

^^^ that. he seems to be all tackles and short passes, which was parkers forté. if he can add the goals to his game that parker never could, then he'll be vital to us.

what we need is grit and steel in our team before we can progress any further, his attributes suit what we need at the moment. Im not his biggest fan but we have to be patient and let him settle before jumping on his back.

Not when he's playing alongside two grafters in Butt & Geremi. We need someone with flair and the ability to pick a pass.

^^^ that. he seems to be all tackles and short passes, which was parkers forté. if he can add the goals to his game that parker never could, then he'll be vital to us.

He's scored 3 goals in his last 70+ games so I wouldn't get your hopes up.

Not when he's playing alongside two grafters in Butt & Geremi. We need someone with flair and the ability to pick a pass.

I agree with that, I personally cant stand Butt so wouldnt play him. Id Like to see Geremi sit in for 2 of Emre, Barton or Smith. Either that or purchase a creative player. I think Dyer would have been ideal at the front a 3 man midfield.

I don't think Smith had a bad game, he broke up the play and tried to move it around but it was the shape of the whole team that was the problem.

I realise people will look for scapegoats for a very tepid performance but we were playing with one up front and one genuine winger, we played too deep and lacked pace and movement. Smith wasn't brilliant but he was no better or worse than most of the team. Villa's performance and our tactical problems stifled most of our players, not just Smith.

FFS! Smith is a quality player who used to play regularly for a quality club, can't say that about geremi.. who by the way has not impressed me in the slightest, despite the f*cking mountains of praise he gets. Smith gets stuck in, never shys away from a challenge and his passing game is actually very good if you watch him at manyoo. He didnt have a brilliant game but tbh nobody did- lets remember that it was a slow 3 man midfiled versus a ( i think) 4 man midfield..

honestly give the lad a break..

He really is s****, It won't be long before the fans turn on him like they did with Parker.

Yeah that's basically complete and utter bollocks.

It isn't. If he's stuck in midfield he'll play like Parker and eventually gain the same level of stick.

I think away from home Sam will be looking to play upfront and be our Davies whilst at home use the technically superior and work ethic inferior Viduka.

I wonder if we're going to play 433 at home whether we should swop Smith and Milner as the latter could dictate play whilst Smith could get closer to Viduka. Not suggesting this is the way forward but I'm surprised we didn't try this yesterday.

I realise people will look for scapegoats for a very tepid performance but we were playing with one up front and one genuine winger, we played too deep and lacked pace and movement. Smith wasn't brilliant but he was no better or worse than most of the team. Villa's performance and our tactical problems stifled most of our players, not just Smith.

Bang on. Every last word. There's nothing that annoys me more than a player being labeled "not good enough" after only his second game for the club. It's even more annoying when his performance is no better or worse than most of the other players on the pitch.

How are players supposed to succeed when they're being written off before they've had a chance to prove themselves?

Bang on. Every last word. There's nothing that annoys me more than a player being labeled "not good enough" after only his second game for the club. It's even more annoying when his performance is no better or worse than most of the other players on the pitch.

How are players supposed to succeed when they're being written off before they've had a chance to prove themselves?

We've been linked with Smith for several years. We know what he has to offer, he isn't Enrique.

Guest Gemmill

That's the NUFC way unfortunately.  If they're not an instant success then they're fucking shite and one or two bad performances away from getting booed. 

I think I'd forgotten how much some of the people in SJP contributed to my disillusionment with NUFC last season.  Don't get me wrong, it was predominantly Roeder/Shepherd/the lack of direction at the club, but there's more than enough clueless fuckers in the ground that can send you away in a more depressed state of mind than any sub-standard performance could.

I still reckon Smith is a quality player who'll become a crowd favourite up here.

i agree, he's an honest hard-working player who, unlike some, genuinely plays for the shirt.. if he plays like he did against roma ( cheesy: one game i know)  every game i'd be ectsatic

We've been linked with Smith for several years. We know what he has to offer, he isn't Enrique.

Exactly, it's not as if he's some unknown player or anything.

I couldn't believe our luck when we got £6.5 million for Parker, shocking that we've gone and spent the majority of it on another average battler.

It's not the point. As soon as he signs for us, he should be given a chance to prove himself for us. In amoungst our players. His performances for Man Utd and Leeds are absolutely irrlevant to how he will perform up here, and if that's what people are judging him on he really doesn't stand a chance.

That's the NUFC way unfortunately.  If they're not an instant success then they're fucking shite and one or two bad performances away from getting booed. 

I think I'd forgotten how much some of the people in SJP contributed to my disillusionment with NUFC last season.  Don't get me wrong, it was predominantly Roeder/Shepherd/the lack of direction at the club, but there's more than enough clueless fuckers in the ground that can send you away in a more depressed state of mind than any sub-standard performance could.

Again, this is bang on, and pretty much reflects my outlook for much of the past two or three years.

That's the NUFC way unfortunately.  If they're not an instant success then they're f****** s**** and one or two bad performances away from getting booed. 

A lot of people thought he was f*cking sh*te long before we signed him though.

Guest Chief Bluntasnot

I still reckon Smith is a quality player who'll become a crowd favourite up here.

The new Scott Parker

The new Scott Parker

Possibly

It's not the point. As soon as he signs for us, he should be given a chance to prove himself for us. In amoungst our players. His performances for Man Utd and Leeds are absolutely irrlevant to how he will perform up here, and if that's what people are judging him on he really doesn't stand a chance.

If we sign Heskey i'll moan the second he misses a sitter, why should I wait when I know full well his level of performance. If we signed Ronladinho i'd expect him to become our best and most influential player within 9 months because that's what I'v come to expect after watching him week-in-week-out for a nmumber of years.

I've watched Smith for 6 or so years. I know his game. In midfield he is very similar to Parker. I knew this last year and i'll know it this time next year. Since the last two years of Leeds Premiership status i've  been watching him carefully as we've often been linked.

I think he could do well for us but I know his limitations.

Butt-Geremi-Smith isn't going to work.

As a person who was disappointed with Smith against Aston Villa,

I'd like to point out that I am not scapegoating nor was I predisposed to to see him fail.

I am very happy that we signed him--wanted us to sign him before he went to Man United, etc.

A lot of people were blaming Butt... but, personally, I was disappointed in Smith and Viduka.

We'll do pretty well I think when Emre and Barton return... and when Zog and play on the left wing.

The new Scott Parker

Possibly

If we sign Heskey i'll moan the second he misses a sitter, why should I wait when I know full well his level of performance. If we signed Ronladinho i'd expect him to become our best and most influential player within 9 months because that's what I'v come to expect after watching him week-in-week-out for a nmumber of years.

I've watched Smith for 6 or so years. I know his game. In midfield he is very similar to Parker. I knew this last year and i'll know it this time next year. Since the last two years of Leeds Premiership status i've  been watching him carefully as we've often been linked.

Butt-Geremi-Smith will grind out a shed load of clean sheets if that's what Sam wants, and I think that's what he wanted against Villa.

Too many people seem to be confusing individual performances with Sam's team tactics. We have plenty of options across the middle of the park when everyone is fit, and I'm convinced that Sam will get the best out of our above average Premiership squad in the weeks and months ahead.

This short termism does my box in, we've had a decent start to a long season. Keep the faith!!!

The new Scott Parker

Possibly

Butt-Geremi-Smith will grind out a shed load of clean sheets if that's what Sam wants, and I think that's what he wanted against Villa.

Too many people seem to be confusing individual performances with Sam's team tactics. We have plenty of options across the middle of the park when everyone is fit, and I'm convinced that Sam will get the best out of our above average Premiership squad in the weeks and months ahead.

This short termism does my box in, we've had a decent start to a long season. Keep the faith!!!

That has to be one of the most defensive midfields in the league. Most teams will play like Villa and will require breaking down to beat. All the teams around us have more pace, movement and guile through the midfield. Sam didn't have much choice on Saturday but I hope we sign some more forward minded midfielders. There seems to be no link from midfield to attack.

I don't know if he can cut it but when is Emre meant to return?