Old thread about a potential Icelandic takeover bid years ago

Power NUFC

If he is involved in this takeover then it concerns him.

Eh? If he's acting as some sort of figurehead of this new takeover (IF), then he's sticking his nose where it doesn't belong. Let Mort and Ashley get on with their jobs. Maybe he's concerned they're not bigging him up enough.

Shearer wasn't involved in Match of The Day this weekend, obviously up to no good!

Or he could just be on the golf course.

Guest microbar

Not happy these takeovers should only be allowed in the closed season,

Cant see ashley wanting to make a quick profit

thought he was in for the long term.  :frantic:

All this talk of Ashley wanting to make a quick buck - he's worth £2bn. I can't see him packing it in for £20m or whatever they'd give him more than what he paid. It'd be like Bill Gates going to Vegas, winning £40 and quitting while he's ahead.

I hope this isn't true. Even though commucation from Mike Ashley has still not been up to scratch, at least Mort was making all the right noises these past few weeks.. It will be interesting to see what they will do now. Can they resist the temptation of a quick, huge profit if this materialises into a serious bid? Also, how will the Halls and Shepherds feel if that's the case?

Well this is the way I see it.  If Ashley rejects a £30-40 million profit (it has to be more then the last 'bid' after all) then great, it proves his commitment.  If he accepts it, then he never had any commitment to NUFC at all.  In which case I'd be happy that we'd seen the back of him sooner rather then later :)

All this talk of Ashley wanting to make a quick buck - he's worth £2bn. I can't see him packing it in for £20m or whatever they'd give him more than what he paid. It'd be like Bill Gates going to Vegas, winning £40 and quitting while he's ahead.

Far simpler to take up a load of short positions on the current stock market.

Quality comparison :thup:

Spot on.

Well this is the way I see it.  If Ashley rejects a £30-40 million profit (it has to be more then the last 'bid' after all) then great, it proves his commitment.  If he accepts it, then he never had any commitment to NUFC at all.  In which case I'd be happy that we'd seen the back of him sooner rather then later :)

That's a good way of looking at it, but it ignores the fact that if he sells at a profit so quickly it is partly at the expense of investments that could have otherwise been made into the club by the new owners (aside from obviously our previous owners, who would have sold too cheaply).

Spot on.

Nope, 20 million is 20 million. The comparison would be more factual if Bill Gates would have just won 500 million in Vegas.. I think he would be tempted to call it the day and order a bottle of champagne.. 40 pounds would be used as toilet paper by either billionaire, so I don't see how this would be a good comparison...

Spot on.

Nope, 20 million is 20 million. The comparison would be more factual if Bill Gates would have just won 500 million in Vegas.. I think he would be tempted to call it the day and order a bottle of champagne.. 40 pounds would be used as toilet paper by either billionaire, so I don't see how this would be a good comparison...

In the grand scheme of things though, 20 milion is nowt to Ashley.

That's a good way of looking at it, but it ignores the fact that if he sells at a profit so quickly it is partly at the expense of investments that could have otherwise been made into the club by the new owners (aside from obviously our previous owners, who would have sold too cheaply).

Nothing can be done about that now though so what's the point of worrying about it?  Also I hope Shepherd did sell to cheaply, I hope he has sleepless nights over it the fat tit...

Guest LucasUnger

because i only know the picture of him where he sits on the desk(or somethin like a desk, cant remember) and on german premiere they always show a great haired  bloke who doesn't look like ashley (on the picture i know) at all.

Spot on.

Not really no....  I think a better comparison would be a hustler winning £40 in vegas and quiting while he's ahead.

Either way it does seem incredibly petty to go to all this trouble and cost (£160 million or more) only to sell up for a £30 million profit a few months later..  Especially when you have 70 times that in the bank already..

r u sure that this is mike ashley??´

as i said before. they always show someone else on premiere??

Chris Mort. Thin guy with glasses? He's the Chairman... Mike Ashley is the billionaire owner (does not attend any games.)

The story from the evening news tonight. Even though you probably can't understand anything that's being said there, it confirms that the story is gathering pace.

Link

Aye, can confirm that Shearer and Newcastle were mentioned in that Icelandic news clip. Didn't have a fucking clue what they were going on about mind. Also saw Roger Moore towards the end of the clip, is he involved in the takeover as well???