Jol on the brink? Breaking news:Ramos snubs huge Spurs offer.

Parky

This is what Mourinho has to deal with under this enlightened system..

Arnesen and his cronies from PSV recommending players to Roman.

Kenyon recommending players to Roman.

Pini Zahavi recommending players to Roman.

Kenyon hiring a some Israeli football all seer from Portsmouth to oversee everything...A man who has barely touched the ground outside of Israeli football.

Kenyon arguing with Mourinho about buying Alex at Arnesens behest.

Roman on the blower to Hiddink.

Hiddink on the blower to Kenyon and Arnesen.

Zhavi recommending more players.

Roman insisting that Mourinho plays Schevchenko.

Schevchenko insiting he wants back to Milan.

etc....

mackems.gif

Is Mourinho being undermined? Of course he is.

The manager runs everything connected with the playing side of the club, no other way will ever work. If someone else signs the players, or chooses the players, how can you sack the manager ?

There is no proof whatsoever that a DOF has any impact on success at a club. It is down to the manager, and its been asked before, but what happens if everyone has a DOF ?

The manager appoints ALL of his staff, because ultimately the buck stops somewhere and that is why he is appointed. If I were a manager, I wouldn't be happy someone else telling me who to buy and sell.

Putting a "plan" into place that doesn't involve the manager is absolute bollocks, every manager has different ideas. The 2 or 3 with the best ones or the best judges will win the cups, the next best will qualify for europe.

Those with shite "plans" will struggle ala Souness to name one.

Does anyone think that the Spurs "plan" would have qualified for europe if Santini had stayed ?

I agree with you, the manager is the most important thing when it comes to how well the first team does, however football is bigger business than it's ever been and for me the running of a club is far too big for one man anymore.

I was a fan of when Arnesen went to Spurs and brought in unknown (to me anyway) but long term you should let your manager run the playing side how he wants which is basically tactics and the players he wants for his first team, the problem is now is that you've other things involved now such as the youth academy, scouting, medical, contracts and concluding transfers etc which is too much IMO for one man, Wenger has said as much by wanting to appoint a DOF and Allardyce has commented on how he's spent little time on the training pitch while trying to sort stuff out.

It shouldn't be a case of DOF vs manager, it's about two professional people working together to make a club a success.

Sacking Jol is hysterical madness. That's all.

Depends really. Spurs have spent a lot of money and appear to be in a real hurry and will no doubt be spurred on (pun not intended) by Arsenal's transitional period to get there even quicker in the hope to usurp them. If they can appoint a better manager then they will be justified to do so, like Chelsea were when they appointed Mourinho. Jol has shown promise of course and has done well for them, but does he have it in him to do a Wenger; deliver success for a club who don't have the financial power or size as others do? Spurs have already spent more than they ever have done and still can't break into that top-four. Indeed they are closer to the likes of us, Everton, Blackburn et al than they are the top-four.

If they do sack Jol and say appoint Ramos, it will be a bold decision and could backfire, but when as we've experienced ourselves, sometimes you can't ignore these kind of opportunities because they seldom come along. We could have spent that £15m on Shearer more wisely, on defence for example, but we couldn't allow Man Utd to sign him, we HAD to buy him. Maybe this is something Spurs HAVE to do.

What I will say is that if they do ditch Jol they should reconsider the Director of Football position also and maybe ditch that too, or let the new man choose his own man.

and sacking him a few weeks into the season too ?

Again, depends. On the surface it would appear foolish. However if they have a possibility of appointing a significantly better manager, who will have to be snapped up soon or face losing out, sometimes these things have to be done. It all comes back to appointing the right man though. No good sacking Jol if you're going to appoint.... Souness.

My own opinion is that Jol deserves at least the rest of the season and you never know, he could deliver Champions League football as it is that open I think, despite the pedigree of the top-four, in which case they would be a much more attractive proposition to any would be manager, you'd imagine.

Consider the following possible scenario then.

NUFC sack Bobby Robson, because a manager had agreed to take the job, then changed his mind after giving us his word. This would mean the club has tapped someone, but for obvious reasons can't make this info public knowledge. Because its illegal, and the manager in question is under contract. Of course, it is possible that they may have sacked Bobby Robson with absolutely no idea of who to replace him with. But in view of the fact that our previous 4 appointments had been pretty nailed on, and quickly made, it would in fact be against the norm. Whats the odds ?

So - They then approach someone else, who turns them down, either before the previously mentioned manager, or afterwards.

So they are then without a manager. Is this then "Bad planning", or "good planning" and badly let down ?

Of course, the manager who turned us down, eventually gets the job a few years later. He resigns from his current job before we sack our manager, why ? Has he been tapped up ? Having been approached and offered the job before, he's dispelling any rumours that he may have been tapped by the club by resigning first ? Is this illegal, or good planning ? Or both ? What would your opinion be in those scenarios. Has he genuinely resigned from his club, so we recognise the opportunity and offer it again, before or after we sack our current manager ? Good planning, or illegal ? Or do we actually sack our manager, then offer it again and thus keep things above board and in the open, taking the risk he may turn us down again ? Whats the odds ?

Lots of murky things go on mate.

This is what Mourinho has to deal with under this enlightened system..

Arnesen and his cronies from PSV recommending players to Roman.

Kenyon recommending players to Roman.

Pini Zahavi recommending players to Roman.

Kenyon hiring a some Israeli football all seer from Portsmouth to oversee everything...A man who has barely touched the ground outside of Israeli football.

Kenyon arguing with Mourinho about buying Alex at Arnesens behest.

Roman on the blower to Hiddink.

Hiddink on the blower to Kenyon and Arnesen.

Zhavi recommending more players.

Roman insisting that Mourinho plays Schevchenko.

Schevchenko insiting he wants back to Milan.

etc....

mackems.gif

Is Mourinho being undermined? Of course he is.

The manager runs everything connected with the playing side of the club, no other way will ever work. If someone else signs the players, or chooses the players, how can you sack the manager ?

There is no proof whatsoever that a DOF has any impact on success at a club. It is down to the manager, and its been asked before, but what happens if everyone has a DOF ?

The manager appoints ALL of his staff, because ultimately the buck stops somewhere and that is why he is appointed. If I were a manager, I wouldn't be happy someone else telling me who to buy and sell.

Putting a "plan" into place that doesn't involve the manager is absolute bollocks, every manager has different ideas. The 2 or 3 with the best ones or the best judges will win the cups, the next best will qualify for europe.

Those with shite "plans" will struggle ala Souness to name one.

Does anyone think that the Spurs "plan" would have qualified for europe if Santini had stayed ?

I agree with you, the manager is the most important thing when it comes to how well the first team does, however football is bigger business than it's ever been and for me the running of a club is far too big for one man anymore.

I was a fan of when Arnesen went to Spurs and brought in unknown (to me anyway) but long term you should let your manager run the playing side how he wants which is basically tactics and the players he wants for his first team, the problem is now is that you've other things involved now such as the youth academy, scouting, medical, contracts and concluding transfers etc which is too much IMO for one man, Wenger has said as much by wanting to appoint a DOF and Allardyce has commented on how he's spent little time on the training pitch while trying to sort stuff out.

It shouldn't be a case of DOF vs manager, it's about two professional people working together to make a club a success.

I agree that they need support. But that job description sounds to me just a post for an executive or two, who can co-ordinate and delegate. There's no need for a fancy title like DOF. If you want someone to go and be your number 1 scout, then just appoint one who has good judgement that you trust. Incidentally, having read his book, and followed their career, the best talent scout I have ever known of - IMO of course - is Peter Taylor. Who was quite simply known as Brian Cloughs right hand man. Nothing wrong with that, especially when Clough acknowledged his role and they knew each others defined roles, were the best of friends, went everywhere together until their split when Taylor poached John Robertson, with Clough being the number 1 in charge of the whole club.

Clough also acknowledges Taylors ability to spot players, so much so that he trusted him completely. He said something along the lines of "I can spot talent, but Peter can spot it instantly. We beat teams to players like Archie Gemmill and Roy McFarland because Peter watched them both and immediately insisted we had to get them before someone else did". I have an old book written about the two of them, it gives an insight into what qualities they looked for in players, including personal footballing qualities, and its brilliant stuff. The best football book I've ever read.

Guest Knightrider

Depends really. Spurs have spent a lot of money and appear to be in a real hurry and will no doubt be spurred on (pun not intended) by Arsenal's transitional period to get there even quicker in the hope to usurp them. If they can appoint a better manager then they will be justified to do so, like Chelsea were when they appointed Mourinho. Jol has shown promise of course and has done well for them, but does he have it in him to do a Wenger; deliver success for a club who don't have the financial power or size as others do? Spurs have already spent more than they ever have done and still can't break into that top-four. Indeed they are closer to the likes of us, Everton, Blackburn et al than they are the top-four.

If they do sack Jol and say appoint Ramos, it will be a bold decision and could backfire, but when as we've experienced ourselves, sometimes you can't ignore these kind of opportunities because they seldom come along. We could have spent that £15m on Shearer more wisely, on defence for example, but we couldn't allow Man Utd to sign him, we HAD to buy him. Maybe this is something Spurs HAVE to do.

What I will say is that if they do ditch Jol they should reconsider the Director of Football position also and maybe ditch that too, or let the new man choose his own man.

Again, depends. On the surface it would appear foolish. However if they have a possibility of appointing a significantly better manager, who will have to be snapped up soon or face losing out, sometimes these things have to be done. It all comes back to appointing the right man though. No good sacking Jol if you're going to appoint.... Souness.

My own opinion is that Jol deserves at least the rest of the season and you never know, he could deliver Champions League football as it is that open I think, despite the pedigree of the top-four, in which case they would be a much more attractive proposition to any would be manager, you'd imagine.

NUFC sack Bobby Robson, because a manager had agreed to take the job, then changed his mind after giving us his word. This would mean the club has tapped someone, but for obvious reasons can't make this info public knowledge. Because its illegal, and the manager in question is under contract. Of course, it is possible that they may have sacked Bobby Robson with absolutely no idea of who to replace him with. But in view of the fact that our previous 4 appointments had been pretty nailed on, and quickly made, it would in fact be against the norm. Whats the odds ?

So - They then approach someone else, who turns them down, either before the previously mentioned manager, or afterwards.

So they are then without a manager. Is this then "Bad planning", or "good planning" and badly let down ?

Of course, the manager who turned us down, eventually gets the job a few years later. He resigns from his current job before we sack our manager, why ? Has he been tapped up ? Having been approached and offered the job before, he's dispelling any rumours that he may have been tapped by the club by resigning first ? Is this illegal, or good planning ? Or both ? What would your opinion be in those scenarios. Has he genuinely resigned from his club, so we recognise the opportunity and offer it again, before or after we sack our current manager ? Good planning, or illegal ? Or do we actually sack our manager, then offer it again and thus keep things above board and in the open, taking the risk he may turn us down again ? Whats the odds ?

Consider this.

Before they sacked SBR they sounded out Steve Bruce back in pre-season, their number one choice and Sam Allardyce, their second choice. Both took exception to being touted for the job of their good mate however, and told the club to sling their hook and to come back when Sir Bobby is no longer manager. The board then decide that SBR will have one final year, and make it public that this will be his final year as NUFC manager, in the hope that Bruce or Big Sam will agree to leave their clubs at the end of the season. After a poor start, ill-discipline, unrest on the stands and grumbles from the manager however because the board sold Speed, Woodgate and tried to buy Rooney behind his back when SBR didn't want to lose either and wanted defenders first and not strikers, they panic and decide to sack him and go back in for Bruce who again said no. After that they then went in for Big Sam, who also said no. Stuck they then went to Boro to see if Steve McLaren wanted the job. He too said no. They look again and sound out O'Leary who too says no. Stumped, the club don't quite know what to do. Until a phone call out of the blue from Willie McKay who phones to talk about a French in defender in Scotland he's trying to sell in January comes in, where he mentions that Graeme Souness over at Blackburn, his good friend, might be up for a new challenge. Souness being a disciplinarian sounds good, he'll sort the dressing room out and look at what he's won, the board enthused. So with Souness in mind they go to Blackburn who tell us to fuck off, he's under contract, and going nowhere. How about if we pay you?, the board respond with. A few broken hands later, and Souness is rolled out as Sir Bobby's replacement much to the disgust of 53,000 fans minus Gemmill.

Good planning? Bad planning?

Consider this.

Before they sacked SBR they sounded out Steve Bruce back in pre-season, their number one choice and Sam Allardyce, their second choice. Both took exception to being touted for the job of their good mate however, and told the club to sling their hook and to come back when Sir Bobby is no longer manager. The board then decide that SBR will have one final year, and make it public that this will be his final year as NUFC manager, in the hope that Bruce or Big Sam will agree to leave their clubs at the end of the season. After a poor start, ill-discipline, unrest on the stands and grumbles from the manager however because the board sold Speed, Woodgate and tried to buy Rooney behind his back when SBR didn't want to lose either and wanted defenders first and not strikers, they panic and decide to sack him and go back in for Bruce who again said no. After that they then went in for Big Sam, who also said no. Stuck they then went to Boro to see if Steve McLaren wanted the job. He too said no. They look again and sound out O'Leary who too says no. Stumped, the club don't quite know what to do. Until a phone call out of the blue from Willie McKay who phones to talk about a French in defender in Scotland he's trying to sell in January comes in, where he mentions that Graeme Souness over at Blackburn, his good friend, might be up for a new challenge. Souness being a disciplinarian sounds good, he'll sort the dressing room out and look at what he's won, the board enthused. So with Souness in mind they go to Blackburn who tell us to fuck off, he's under contract, and going nowhere. How about if we pay you?, the board respond with. A few broken hands later, and Souness is rolled out as Sir Bobby's replacement much to the disgust of 53,000 fans minus Gemmill.

Good planning? Bad planning?

Apart from Bruce wasn't offered the job, not bad. I don't understand why the fool keeps saying this. My guess is that despite his medals, he is jealous of Alan Shearers standing in his home town and is peddling the Geordie card, without being smart enough to realise it increases the ridicule he is held in, instead of vice versa. Maybe now his career is over, he would swap his medals for Shearers place in local history ? What sort of Geordie and NUFC fan would admit being offered the chance to manage Newcastle and turn it down ? He's as stupid as Souness.

Nor was the irish windbag O'Leary offered the job.

Just wondered if you thought my comments prodded you in the right direction TBH  :coolsmiley:

I must say, that I don't blame the club for selling Woodgate with his injury problems, if Bobby Robson really couldn't see the sense in getting the money for him in those circumstances, it really does show he was losing touch. And thats coming from me, you know that I'm the last person to advocate selling your best players in normal circumstances.

Did you make that comment about Gemmil because he's disappeared on holiday or something  :laugh:

Levy backs Jol...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/t/tottenham_hotspur/6957639.stm

Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy has told under-fire manager Martin Jol that his job is safe but has warned him he wants to see Spurs in the Champions League.

Levy said in a statement: "We are an ambitious club and we have discussed our expectations with Martin.

"For that we need our management standards to be of the highest quality so that we can compete with the best.

"Martin has confirmed to me that he feels he is equipped with a squad and a determination to take the challenge."

Jol and his assistant Chris Hughton met with Levy and the rest of the Spurs' board on Tuesday.

"We had a full and frank conversation," Jol told Tottenham's website. "I fully understand the ambitions of the club - they are the same as the supporters.

Yes, it is pressure to deliver, but that is what we managers should expect. Hopefully all the media will relax now - all I shall be concentrating on is each and every game

Martin Jol

"He has put a lot of hard work into this club and with the squad of players we have assembled, it is realistic that we should look to challenge for a top four position and I have assured him and the Board that that is what I shall aim for.

"Yes, it is pressure to deliver, but that is what we managers should expect. Hopefully all the media will relax now - all I shall be concentrating on is each and every game."

Levy made it clear what he expects from Jol, adding: "We want Champions League football."

Pretty much gone I reckon. :lol:

Levy backs Jol...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/t/tottenham_hotspur/6957639.stm

Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy has told under-fire manager Martin Jol that his job is safe but has warned him he wants to see Spurs in the Champions League.

Levy said in a statement: "We are an ambitious club and we have discussed our expectations with Martin.

"For that we need our management standards to be of the highest quality so that we can compete with the best.

"Martin has confirmed to me that he feels he is equipped with a squad and a determination to take the challenge."

Jol and his assistant Chris Hughton met with Levy and the rest of the Spurs' board on Tuesday.

"We had a full and frank conversation," Jol told Tottenham's website. "I fully understand the ambitions of the club - they are the same as the supporters.

Yes, it is pressure to deliver, but that is what we managers should expect. Hopefully all the media will relax now - all I shall be concentrating on is each and every game

Martin Jol

"He has put a lot of hard work into this club and with the squad of players we have assembled, it is realistic that we should look to challenge for a top four position and I have assured him and the Board that that is what I shall aim for.

"Yes, it is pressure to deliver, but that is what we managers should expect. Hopefully all the media will relax now - all I shall be concentrating on is each and every game."

Levy made it clear what he expects from Jol, adding: "We want Champions League football."

Pretty much gone I reckon. :lol:

The Official announcement from Spurs came shortly before it emerged that Ramos had agreed in principle to take over, then, after a meeting with the Sevilla board, changed his mind.  Ramos is entering into his final year of his contract and he has (reportedly) told  Spurs that he will not be seeking to renew his contract.

Reading between the lines, if Jol doesn't resign due to the way he's been treated, he could be replaced by Ramos at the end of the season.

Hard to imagine a worse example of a public relations exercise even if they tried.

Spurs are in a mess ... actually referred to as the new old Newcastle! Not good!

Martyr does best to carry on regardless at Spite Hart Lane

Matt Dickinson, Chief Sports Correspondent

Call it the Newcastle United Syndrome when you sack a manager a few games into the campaign, normally after letting him blow the transfer budget on players that his successor does not fancy. It became almost an annual ritual on Tyneside and we have seen how far it has got Newcastle in terms of trophies.

It is a ludicrous way to run any business, but it is preferable to the strategy that Tottenham Hotspur have adopted where they have tried to oust their manager and failed. Martin Jol limps on, knowing that influential members of the board would replace him if they could. That should do wonders for his authority in the dressing-room and his chances of delivering their coveted qualification for the Champions League.

Whether it is right to replace Jol is contentious, but the timing stinks, whichever way you look at it. If Spurs had such little faith in their manager that it took only two defeats to push him halfway to the exit, they should have found the courage to face up to it long before the second half of August.

It might have looked like brilliant leadership in June. Jol is a decent guy who has done a good job at Spurs, but there are reasons to believe that he has has reached his own limits. Dismissing him on the back of a fifth-place finish and an appearance in the last eight of the Uefa Cup would have looked brutal, but, if Daniel Levy, the chairman, and his fellow directors were convinced that a better manager was out there, they could have acted boldly and decisively.

Tottenham could pay after jumping the gun on Ramos

The many Spurs fans who like Jol’s style might have questioned the decision, but at least the board would not have looked, as it does now — running around like a headless cockerel. As it stands, the club have turned Jol into a martyr, which may prove even more divisive.

Had they acted in June, Spurs would not have needed to approach Juande Ramos just days before the start of the Spanish season. They would not have been forced into ludicrous claims that the club secretary and Paul Kemsley, the vice-chairman, happened to be in the same hotel as Ramos by coincidence.

Ramos is now said to be twitching as to whether he should abandon a club who are in the Champions League for one who aspire to join the elite, but require a brilliant manager, their very own Arsène Wenger, to smash through the glass ceiling. A high-class manager might pull it off, but, despite Levy’s claims, a top-four finish is not to be expected just because he has bought Darren Bent for £16.5 million.

It leaves Jol to soldier on with an even more hangdog expression than normal. Never mind that the whispers he talked about at the weekend have turned into back-page headlines.

He must be thick-skinned, or just desperate to work, to have put his name to yesterday’s statement given the events of the past few days. He has been briefed against from within and it is hard to see how he can look some of the hierarchy in the eye. It is particularly hard to see how he will continue to work with Daniel Comolli, the sporting director, with whom he already had a strained relationship. It could be argued that Jol has been a sacking waiting to happen from the day that Frank Arnesen was lured away to Chelsea and replaced by Comolli. Jol not always had much say in which players were purchased, something that was well known in the dressing-room and therefore bound to erode the manager’s authority.

As Jol has come under increasing strain, his relationship with some of his squad has become distant and increasingly fractious. That has weakened his position, but if three points from three games could get you the sack, Sir Alex Ferguson would be looking for a job. Jol was on the brink because at least one person upstairs wanted his own man in charge and saw an opportunity. There are parallels with Claudio Ranieri’s ousting at Chelsea a few years ago, because, like Jol, the Italian was popular among fans and media. Like Jol, people sympathised with the way he was treated by a club who announced his departure in a series of clumsy leaks.

It was badly handled, but replacing Ranieri with José Mourinho was the best day’s work that Chelsea did. The nightmare for Comolli and Levy is that, as it stands, they do not appear to have a Mourinho up their sleeves.

The decision-makers calling the shots in the corridors at White Hart Lane

Daniel Levy, age 45 Chairman of Tottenham Hotspur and managing director of ENIC Group

Levy, a lifelong Tottenham supporter, is the only Premier League chairman who has a first-class honours degree from Cambridge University — in economics. He replaced Sir Alan Sugar as chairman at White Hart Lane in February 2001. About 60 per cent of Tottenham shares are owned by ENIC International, a leisure group controlled by the families of Levy and Joe Lewis, the billionaire currency trader who is based in the Bahamas. According to the Tottenham website, Levy has particular experience in corporate finance and retail management.

Paul Kemsley, age 39 Vice-chairman of Tottenham and chief executive of Rock Investments

Kemsley is a millionaire who has made most of his fortune from property. The carpet in his London office is navy blue and white — Tottenham’s colours — and there are signed shirts on the walls. Kemsley is a friend of Sugar and has been on the BBC programme The Apprentice with the former Spurs chairman. Rock Investments has a £500 million portfolio of properties.

Damien Comolli, age 35 Sporting director

Comolli replaced Frank Arnesen at White Hart Lane after the Dane controversially moved to Chelsea two years ago. The 35-year-old made his name as a scout for Arsenal, where he has been credited as discovering Kolo Touré among others, before becoming the sporting director of Saint-Etienne in 2004. His brief at Tottenham was to find the stars of tomorrow but signings such as Didier Zokora, Benoit Assou-Ekottu and Ricardo Rocha have failed to make an impact.

KAVEH SOLHEKOL

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/tottenham/article2303092.ece

I can't believe they've allowed themselves to get into so much of a mess ... I can't stop laughing  :lol:

MJ is always on here telling us how well his club is run and was a particular pain when we suffered through the Souness and Roeder years. What goes around comes around. Tottenham are all over the papers, they've taken over from us, what a mess!!! :lol:

All I need is a link to Souness and I might just keel over!  :lol:

And maybe even Paul Jewell!!! or David Pleat!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/tottenham/article2303025.ece

Sorry, I'm having way too much fun with this ... I apologize.

:lol:

The Harry Redknapp link is also preposterous.

Got a feeling in my bones tbh...  :shifty:

Probably bollocks like... :(

Get to the doctors.

Touche! :lol:

Wouldn't rule it out tbh. I can think of loads worse candidates than him.

Guest toontoon

I can't believe they've allowed themselves to get into so much of a mess ... I can't stop laughing  :lol:

MJ is always on here telling us how well his club is run and was a particular pain when we suffered through the Souness and Roeder years. What goes around comes around. Tottenham are all over the papers, they've taken over from us, what a mess!!! :lol:

All I need is a link to Souness and I might just keel over!  :lol:

its great isnt it  :lol:

Redknapp to replace Jol stinks of Souness replacing Robson. Both mid-table managers.

Hmmm ... not so sure about that. Of all the premiership managers, I think I would least like them to get Harry Redknapp. Very underated manager I think, also has an eye for a decent player.

Not really, it'll take more than a half baked opinion from someone who's generally clueless about football to dismantle any arguement i've formed, same goes for yourself.

Dont be arrogant about your own view mate, it doesnt come over well. Normally you're one of the best posters on here but dismissing people's views like that doesnt endear you to anyone. I was just messing about the DoF thing and didnt say you were wrong either.

Am i meant to be in awe of your views and not poke fun anymore? Also fwiw, Parky was the only person i remember saying Jol wouldnt last the first month of the season. Cant be that clueless.

Conisder yourself admonished.  8)

The sooner Jol's position becomes completely untenable, the more likely that Spurs will end up replacing him with someone really mediocre.

I therefore urge all London-based Toon fans to dress up like Spurs supporters and egg the fucker's house.