Scholes for England?

Dave

Still think he would offer more than Scholes in that position.

Doesn't have the intelligence of Scholes for that role.

Sorry 2J, you must be thinking of Scholes in the year 2003/2004. Any of our current midfielders (yes including Lampard) will play better than Scholes in the hole behind the main striker. Scholes was awful last year and his form would have suffred even more with the long term lay off.

Guest Aliens

As spanish I haven't seen too much Scholes palying for England, but when I saw him for Manchester Utd, he was really amazing except last year (or 2 years maybe). If he could be fit as 2 years ago, I would put him in my England squad as a Gerrard subs or playing with him, but not putting Scholes in the wing as I saw in Euro2004.

he was shit for england for the last 4 or 5 years of his career anyway. not lampard shit, but still shit. see no point to it.

Neither can Scholes.  :winking:

:lol: :lol: :lol: Harsh midds

No way, good in his days but way past his best, and its not like we are short of midfielders. If we taking players based on past performance, Shearer would do a better job to be honest.

The same Shearer who was absolutely shocking for the past two years? somehow i think not.

Scholes hasnt been pulling up tree's the past few years either really.

Still played alot better than Shearer did by a fucking mile. Even Shola played better than Shearer.

The point was Scholes is past his best, ok Shearer was further past but they are both still past their best and not good enough.

Scholes is still good enough for England. Play him off the striker as a stop gap till Roonaldo returns.

Vieira once said Paul Scholes is the best player in the world.  I don't know if he was quite that good, but **** me what a player.  I don't hate Man Utd like most of you, I respect them, the only two cunts I couldn't stand were Keane and Ferguson, and Paul Scholes was an integral part of what they have become.  He never receives the plaudits he deserves, in the same way Cantona does to this day.  Technically he's got the lot, and apart from me, he's got the hardest shot I've ever seen.  Every time the ball comes to him on the volley he connects beautifully, and volleying the ball with control really is the most difficult thing a footballer can do.  Look at that goal he scored on the volley from the corner against Bradford, far farrrrrrrr better goal than Di Canio's v Wimbledon, which won goal of the decade.  I'm a big England fan, and yes if Scholes is still fit enough, I'd bring him back in without a doubt, and for the lad that said he's been shite for 6 years  :lol:  I wish Shola or Dyer had been as shite as him over the period.

he was shit for england for the last 4 or 5 years of his career anyway. not lampard shit, but still shit. see no point to it.

Neither can Scholes.  :winking:

:lol: :lol: :lol: Harsh midds

Aye, you're right mate.  :oops: I apologise Mr Scholes. :)

England should be building for the Euro 2008, and WC 2010. Scholes, if he comes back, is not going to be any use in those so I dont see the point in him coming back. The current crop of enlgish midfielders is good enough in my opinion, but they have not been given the right guidance. Under Sven, it always seemed to me that Gerrard and Lampard were never really sure of thier roles, or that they were very uncomfortable with them. And a few years back it seemed to many people that Gerrard and Lampard would perhaps never play well together in midfield, but sven seemed to give no thought to it. Both the players continued to play those same roles in those same positions again and again, with the result that England often looked clogged in midfield which in turn had a very negative effect on their overall performance. He should have tried to play them in different roles. Or perhaps brought in some other player that would have given Lampard/Gerrard the chance to play in their proper preferred roles. Such an arrangement would have possible brought more out of England. Mclaren, too, isnt the cleverest of managers to me and im not sure if he'll be able to find a solution.

I think the diamond formation will suit england much more:-

-----------Parker/Hargreaves-------------------

----Beckham/Lennon---                                                                      -----Cole----

Lampard/Gerrard

I think England must have someone like parker or hargreaves in there at all times, to give gerrard or lampard the freedom they thrive on. The kind of which is given to them by the likes of makelele and alonso in their respective clubs. On paper lampard-Gerrard might be very attractive, but the fact is they dont gel together at all. Sacrifice one of them to bring the best out of the other,and in turn put england in a better position.

Lampard should be kicked out of the squad on his world cup performances anyway, he was embarrasing.

• 3 months later...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/internationals/6167234.stm

Scholes considered England return

Manchester United midfielder Paul Scholes admits he did consider coming out of international retirement under new England coach Steve McClaren.

Scholes, 31, quit after Euro 2004 but has twice been contacted by McClaren who wants him to change his mind.

"It certainly wasn't a straightforward decision," said Scholes. "I thought about it, but decided against it.

"It's flattering when the England boss asks you to go back, but basically I decided I didn't need to go back."

Scholes has been a vital part of United's table-topping side so far this season, but says he is not completely satisfied with the way he has been playing.

He added: "I have played a lot better than I am at the moment.

"I am frustrated at not scoring many goals for a start. I like scoring but I only have two so far. I would like it to be more."

606 DEBATE: Give your thoughts on this story

Scholes' decision not to end his England exile is supported by United manager Sir Alex Ferguson, who knows just how important he is to the Old Trafford club.

"When you are in your 30s it is not easy to trek all over Europe playing for your country," said the Scot.

"Sometimes in international football you can be away for eight or nine days at a time with double headers in qualifying games.

"That is a lot of football and something you have to consider seriously, particularly if you value family life and I think that was partly behind Paul's decision."

Still would have been an upgrade on Lampard/Carrick/Jenas.

His club form hasn't been the best, but Lampard will never be fit to lace Paul Scholes' boots in his prime, probably the most underrated player of a generation is Scholesy.

http://www.pichotel.com/pic/1269qjdUm/14420.jpg

Ahh, my eyes.  I had the pleasure of never seeing that picture until now.

I also agree with what you said.

Any of you seen Scholes play recently? Been class for ManScum recently. Cant see how Parker can be ahead of him in the England squad (solely based on quality), different class.

blueyes.gif

He's been asked to be in the team, he just doesn't want to do it.

Any of you seen Scholes play recently? Been class for ManScum recently. Cant see how Parker can be ahead of him in the England squad (solely based on quality), different class.

England would be a whole different story. Was right to stay away.