Smith and Owen to start together upfront against Germany

OzzieMandias

It's a moderately proud moment for the club, although it really shows how little quality cover their is for England upfront. Owen and Smith were the two upfront against Brazil and both were gash.

Good player is Smudger.

He's got 3 goals in his last 70+ competitive games now at club level.

So, he really is a perfect replacement for Dyer.

Dyer got 14 goals in his last 70 games at club level so I'd say not, then again he doesn't get stuck in like Snudger does so that doesn't matter.

And 20 in the previous 216. He's a meastro!

That wasn't quite the point I'm making, my point has always been to replace Dyer with a player with pace who can stretch games, we've seen in the past before we signed Bellamy and Robert how a team can be changed when you add it, we should have been looking to replace Dyer with someone with similar pace but more consistent in his football rather than a talentless grafter who gets stuck in.

Dyer didn't stretch games. He scored very few, created even less.

I know it's hard but look past your hatred for Dyer and see the bit I've highlighted, do you agree with that?

No, i don't. I don't want a player who can run fast with the ball. I want a player to run fast with the ball and do something with it. Its not about more consistency than Dyer, its about more talent.

I don't think Smith is a replacement for Dyer (at least, he shouldn't be), but then i don't think we need a replacement for a midfielder who was s*** on the wing, and offered v little in the centre.

Agree with what baggio's saying, its what i was thinking when all of you wanted dyer gone. but to call smith  "talentless" is taking it too far. smith is a good player and his passion more than makes up for his lack of pace,  his passing game is often overlooked aswell; much rather have him than geremi, i mean we've seen smith play very well for manyoo and don't understand where all this negativity is coming from . He's highly rated by his own fans because of his great attitude and ability on the field.

Im going to end up contradicting myself now, but yeah we really need pacey playmaker..

All the negativity regarding Smith is coming from Baggio who, imo, is digging himself a rather large hole!

Good player is Smudger.

He's got 3 goals in his last 70+ competitive games now at club level.

So, he really is a perfect replacement for Dyer.

Dyer got 14 goals in his last 70 games at club level so I'd say not, then again he doesn't get stuck in like Snudger does so that doesn't matter.

And 20 in the previous 216. He's a meastro!

That wasn't quite the point I'm making, my point has always been to replace Dyer with a player with pace who can stretch games, we've seen in the past before we signed Bellamy and Robert how a team can be changed when you add it, we should have been looking to replace Dyer with someone with similar pace but more consistent in his football rather than a talentless grafter who gets stuck in.

Dyer didn't stretch games. He scored very few, created even less.

I know it's hard but look past your hatred for Dyer and see the bit I've highlighted, do you agree with that?

No, i don't. I don't want a player who can run fast with the ball. I want a player to run fast with the ball and do something with it. Its not about more consistency than Dyer, its about more talent.

I don't think Smith is a replacement for Dyer (at least, he shouldn't be), but then i don't think we need a replacement for a midfielder who was s*** on the wing, and offered v little in the centre.

Agree with what baggio's saying, its what i was thinking when all of you wanted dyer gone. but to call smith  "talentless" is taking it too far. smith is a good player and his passion more than makes up for his lack of pace,  his passing game is often overlooked aswell; much rather have him than geremi, i mean we've seen smith play very well for manyoo and don't understand where all this negativity is coming from . He's highly rated by his own fans because of his great attitude and ability on the field.

Im going to end up contradicting myself now, but yeah we really need pacey playmaker..

All the negativity regarding Smith is coming from Baggio who, imo, is digging himself a rather large hole!

People said the same when the likes of me, HTL and Crumpy said the same about Scott Parker tbh.

I expect a few idiots will pull this up if he scores tonight but I really don't care as it's not the bigger picture, I bet nobody will be pulling it up come the end of the season except maybe me when I'm proven right. O0.

I'd rather see Smith up front than in midfield, as he is poorer at the latter than the former. But he's not international class by any means.

Owen DOES have that class, clearly, but is short of match fitness. If he can get some of that from playing tonight, thats cool.

I love England, but it just makes me wich we had better players than Smith fit, even for friendlies.

Smiths best position is up front, supporting a prolific goalscorer, like Owen

I'd feel prouder if I thought they were up to the job.

you must have been a right miserable bugger before 1992

mackems.gif

What on earth are you wibbling on about?

Are you claiming that Alan Smith (simply not good enough a striker for England, IMO) and an unfit Michael Owen who has played about 30 minutes of competitive football in the last year are the ideal front pairing for England?

mackems.gif

Are you claiming that Alan Smith (simply not good enough a striker for England, IMO) and an unfit Michael Owen who has played about 30 minutes of competitive football in the last year are the ideal front pairing for England?

Yes

I currently do not give a shit about England.

If NUFC were performing and were competitive at the top of the league then i could divide my footballing attention to the NT. But as it stands NUFC provide enough misery to my life than to have to worry about England under Steve McClaren. Anyone who does is on a hiding to nothing.

I only like the England games as it brings misery on Manu, Chelsea, Liverpool & Arsenal supporters. Were all in the same boat, but i just like to see them squirm, its below bothering me in the slightest. ATM the England team is a good excuse for the nation to whinge, its great, its laughable.  :lol:

agree, currently being the operative word.

I used to support England, I've seen them a lot. I still do when the World Cup and the Euro is on. However - I absolutely despise the money grabbing, spoilted bastard, whining tossers like Lampard, Ashley Cole, Rio bloody Ferdinand, Keyring Dire etc for the amount of times they spout off to the press about how much they owe "the fens" blah blah then whine on like bairns when they have a shit tournament, especially Lampard.

I think Owen will pot at least one tonight and Smith will play well in support. 

I hope you are correct.

It seems like the proper time for him to come good.  ;)  Playing for Ingurlund a'narl. 

I can see this playing out like that Argies game when Owen scored late for the winner.  Actually, think he had two that match, right?

Crespo for the Argies, IIRC?

mackems.gif

No, I'm saying you must have been a right miserable and moaning bugger if you watched NUFC pre-1992 if you are moaning on about us having 2 players spearheading the England attack, injuries or not.

I hope you are correct.

It seems like the proper time for him to come good.  ;)  Playing for Ingurlund a'narl. 

I can see this playing out like that Argies game when Owen scored late for the winner.  Actually, think he had two that match, right?

Can't remember who scored theirs.

But to be like that game would involve Germany withdrawing all their best players after going ahead. As their squad is even more depleted than ours, I can't see it happening.

mackems.gif

No, I'm saying you must have been a right miserable and moaning bugger if you watched NUFC pre-1992 if you are moaning on about us having 2 players spearheading the England attack, injuries or not.

Oh I see. You were just talking a lot of gratuitous tripe.

I hope you are correct.

But to be like that game would involve Germany withdrawing all their best players after going ahead. As their squad is even more depleted than ours, I can't see it happening.

:)  I just think Owen will notch a goal or two and give hope to the England faithful that he can lead the front line.  Prove he still has it sort of thing. 

I hope you are correct.

:)  I just think Owen will notch a goal or two and give hope to the England faithful that he can lead the front line.  Prove he still has it sort of thing. 

As I say, I hope you're right. I fear, however, that his lack of match fitness will show.

mackems.gif

Oh I see. You were just talking a lot of gratuitous tripe.

no, I don't think so.

I currently do not give a shit about England.

If NUFC were performing and were competitive at the top of the league then i could divide my footballing attention to the NT. But as it stands NUFC provide enough misery to my life than to have to worry about England under Steve McClaren. Anyone who does is on a hiding to nothing.

I only like the England games as it brings misery on Manu, Chelsea, Liverpool & Arsenal supporters. Were all in the same boat, but i just like to see them squirm, its below bothering me in the slightest. ATM the England team is a good excuse for the nation to whinge, its great, its laughable.  :lol:

agree, currently being the operative word.

I used to support England, I've seen them a lot. I still do when the World Cup and the Euro is on. However - I absolutely despise the money grabbing, spoilted bastard, whining tossers like Lampard, Ashley Cole, Rio bloody Ferdinand, Keyring Dire etc for the amount of times they spout off to the press about how much they owe "the fens" blah blah then whine on like bairns when they have a shit tournament, especially Lampard.

Baby-Bentley bandwagon jumper tbh. :razz: