More Ashley Nonsense

Guest Guinness

Dish dirt, agenda, Bellamy, mackems.gif.

There, done it for him.

You forgot "mackem WUM".

Still backing Souness to do a good job for the club are you ?

Talking about "nonsense", like  mackems.gif

It is believed that Tottenham even approached sports retailing entrepreneur Mike Ashley, the new owner of Newcastle United, earlier this year, with an asking price of £200 million.

ENIC have built up their holding in Spurs to more than 66 per cent by buying out Sir Alan Sugar's remaining 12 per cent recently, having started out with just under 30 per cent that cost £22m seven years ago.

Ashley, though, preferred Newcastle United for £133m but there are others said to be interested. For the selling price to be maximised, though, Spurs need to be in the top four and winning trophies.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/sport/football.html?in_article_id=477778&in_page_id=1779

Guest Guinness

Yet more speculation on the back page of one of the Sunday papers (think it was the Mirror) saying Ashley has set a price of £225m for the club. They just won't leave us alone, it seems as if Ashley is an easy target for speculation due to his low profile.

Yet more speculation on the back page of one of the Sunday papers (think it was the Mirror) saying Ashley has set a price of £225m for the club. They just won't leave us alone, it seems as if Ashley is an easy target for speculation due to his low profile.

:undecided:

I'd take it with a pinch of salt although I think if somebody did offer that sort of cash and he didn't sell then he'd be mad.

Back to these claiming to know about his intentions, before Ashley bought us we knew nothing about the possible sale, nobody in the media predicted it yet now they all think they know what he's up to, they haven't a clue, they're only guessing.

Ashley doesn't seem to be the type of person who people know much about yet all of the papers are speculating what is going to happen, pathetic. 

I'd take it with a pinch of salt although I think if somebody did offer that sort of cash and he didn't sell then he'd be mad.

Back to these claiming to know about his intentions, before Ashley bought us we knew nothing about the possible sale, nobody in the media predicted it yet now they all think they know what he's up to, they haven't a clue, they're only guessing.

Ashley doesn't seem to be the type of person who people know much about yet all of the papers are speculating what is going to happen, pathetic. 

They have to fill their NUFC quotas though, keep the idiots up here buying the papers when we're on the back pages. I'm still alarmed at how much people believe the rags... especially the likes of the Mirror/Sun/News of the World.

Granted, they occasionally get it right and have some substance behind the words, but the vast majority of stuff written will come from nowt more than rumour, imagination and ill-informed gossip and be purely designed to shift copy - which is the nature of the beast, as I've said before. I won't slag the papers, editors or writers themselves off for doing it because that's what they get paid to do.

This is also why I don't bait Oliver as much as most on here because he's just doing his job and trying to make money for his employer - he certainly gets us all talking and reading what he says, even if just online, so he's probably not doing a bad job from the Chronicle's point of view. Why do they care that they're accurate and impartial all of the time if they sell more papers with the current methods?

Also, and this is the real key thing that has just struck me, I love how there are certain people on here who don't seem to trust Mort and Ashley as far as they could throw them and question their every utterance, but these same people are quite happy to go cock-a-hoop when there's a story in one of the newspapers which tries to show the club/owners in a bad light.

People need to open their eyes a bit. I'm not saying that Mort and Ashley are all sunshine and happiness and that we should trust them unequivocally, but I personally trust them far more at this particular moment than the hacks who are paid to write stories on Newcastle United that will sell their papers.

Could you have kept your shares?

yes, but I was running the risk of them being worthless. I chose to sell them while I could, and because it became obvious he was going to buy them all up.

Its a double edged sword, I liked having shares and being a shareholder, but it was time to move on and hope it was all in the clubs best interests at the same time, is how I saw it.

All I am doing here BTW, is expressing concern at the comments that Allardyce has made concering support etc from the board. You would have to be pretty naive to dismiss them. We have had good managers before who walked for lack of support. None of our managers EVER said this when the Halls and Shepherd ran the club. If you choose to ignore this because you don't want to consider the possibility that this could happen, its your prerogative. I want Newcastle United to win things and couldn't give a rats arse who owns the club and what their public profile is, to a degree. I've said this often enough, and I'm sure that YOU should have seen it. I'll believe Ashley actually has high ambitions for the club - unlike many others who are taking it for granted -

when I see more concrete evidence.

Nowt wrong with that.

hang on....if it was "obvious" he was going to buy them all up anyway(i'm guessing you mean he had enough to enforce a sale),which he has to buy at the price he set,how can you say they were running the risk of them "being worthless" ?

And yet you're seemingly desperate for Ashley to fail just so you can say you were right about Shepherd et al.

Daft comment. I sold him my shares. And if we don't win owt in the next 15-20 years I may have kicked the bucket

it could be said you sold him your shares as you realised you had no other choice

They have to fill their NUFC quotas though, keep the idiots up here buying the papers when we're on the back pages. I'm still alarmed at how much people believe the rags... especially the likes of the Mirror/Sun/News of the World.

Granted, they occasionally get it right and have some substance behind the words, but the vast majority of stuff written will come from nowt more than rumour, imagination and ill-informed gossip and be purely designed to shift copy - which is the nature of the beast, as I've said before. I won't slag the papers, editors or writers themselves off for doing it because that's what they get paid to do.

This is also why I don't bait Oliver as much as most on here because he's just doing his job and trying to make money for his employer - he certainly gets us all talking and reading what he says, even if just online, so he's probably not doing a bad job from the Chronicle's point of view. Why do they care that they're accurate and impartial all of the time if they sell more papers with the current methods?

Also, and this is the real key thing that has just struck me, I love how there are certain people on here who don't seem to trust Mort and Ashley as far as they could throw them and question their every utterance, but these same people are quite happy to go cock-a-hoop when there's a story in one of the newspapers which tries to show the club/owners in a bad light.

People need to open their eyes a bit. I'm not saying that Mort and Ashley are all sunshine and happiness and that we should trust them unequivocally, but I personally trust them far more at this particular moment than the hacks who are paid to write stories on Newcastle United that will sell their papers.

I agree with most of that although I think most journalists are playing on our recent history which has handed them the sort of headlines they'd have been dreaming of, now they must think that they can print anything and it will be believed.

does put some meat on the bones of the earlier "ashley considering to sell" stories.

if he does,he does,however anyone coming in will have know they invest to make cash out of it.

We've finally dispelled the idea that the character of the chairman is important, all that matters is the level of investment. It doesnt matter if its Ashley or some chinese bloke, that idea of romance is over.

:parky:

we don't even know if our owner has a character.

nowt wrong in him keeping a low profile mind

Irrelevant, all that matters about the football club is how much we spend.

Joking aside, its not that important to me if i hear from the chairman, its only the manager that matters to me.

don't care if i hear sod all from the manager if the results are good,and tend not to believe what they say when the results aren't so good

Either way hopefully this season will be a welcome change from those previous when we've heard from our tw@t of a chairman as he says something to embarrass us all, our clueless manager not using excuses but pointing them out just incase, our over paid potentially world beater midfielder (when he gets injured, then arrested for public exposure, then is ready to come back to first team action, then ready to challenge for an England spot, then injured), our over priced striker come left midfielder (what position did he really play again) who wants away, our assistant geordie boy coach, his bookie (our other assistant coach), our keeper who desperately wants to appease the fans because he knows the effort isn't good enough, our former captain and goal scoring great and the tea lady as she interrupts a press conference to give the manager his all important on the dot 3pm cup of tea.

mackems.gif

Which bit are you enjoying leaze?

ah, someone who likes to use usernames that are used on other message boards, despite not telling us what you yourself call yourself elsewhere ie on toontastic ?

Are you going to enlighten us, or remain a hypocrite ?

Or else am I going to ignore you, or better still laugh at you ?

As I will for you suggesting that someone like myself - that has supported this club for over 40 years and who can tell you what "embarrassing" REALLY means - rather stupidly think want us to do badly - just like I have in that previous post

mackems.gif

You're still in short pants I bet  blueyes.gif oh, sorry, how much did you sell your shares to Mr Ashley for  mackems.gif

Hey leaze, you are right in some ways but I doubt I'm who you think I am. If it really erks you you are quite welcome to PM me and ask, I don't mind telling you.

To answer your question, overlooking the ripping off supporters comment with shirts that cost a fiver or the who gives a fuck about the lower leagues speech, the fact that in the last twelve months he denied in the press Owen had a release clause, something he allowed into his contract and then was stupid enough to get caught on camera by some Liverpool supporters saying that "he'd fookin carry him there on his back," yes I do find that sort of thing from the chairman of the club I've supported for 30 years (but I do still quite like short pants in summer) embarrassing.

yes, but I was running the risk of them being worthless. I chose to sell them while I could, and because it became obvious he was going to buy them all up.

Its a double edged sword, I liked having shares and being a shareholder, but it was time to move on and hope it was all in the clubs best interests at the same time, is how I saw it.

All I am doing here BTW, is expressing concern at the comments that Allardyce has made concering support etc from the board. You would have to be pretty naive to dismiss them. We have had good managers before who walked for lack of support. None of our managers EVER said this when the Halls and Shepherd ran the club. If you choose to ignore this because you don't want to consider the possibility that this could happen, its your prerogative. I want Newcastle United to win things and couldn't give a rats arse who owns the club and what their public profile is, to a degree. I've said this often enough, and I'm sure that YOU should have seen it. I'll believe Ashley actually has high ambitions for the club - unlike many others who are taking it for granted -

Nowt wrong with that.

hang on....if it was "obvious" he was going to buy them all up anyway(i'm guessing you mean he had enough to enforce a sale),which he has to buy at the price he set,how can you say they were running the risk of them "being worthless" ?

He could have chosen not to sell, and ended up with worthless paper, and Ashley still owning the club anyway.

But instead he heroically cashed them in!

Nowt wrong with that.

He could have chosen not to sell, and ended up with worthless paper, and Ashley still owning the club anyway.

But instead he heroically cashed them in!

ohno he couldnt....once ashley had over a certian percntage he can force the remaining shareholders to sell......and he did.

kind of compulsary purchase for shares.

From the guardian.

Allardyce was brought in by previous chairman Freddy Shepherd. Now, there is talk of new owner Mike Ashley making a quick sale, possibly to Icelandic businessmen Palmi Haraldsson and Jon Asgeir Johannesson. At a notoriously unstable club, it is not what Allardyce needs to hear. He can, though, joke. 'I've done such a great job in the short time I've been here that it appears the value of the club has soared. But no, Mike and Chris Mort, the chairman, tell me it's nonsense. As far as I'm concerned, and I've been talking to both of them, it's just speculation and there's a lot of that about.'

Toon’s £225m price tag

by Neil Farrington, Sunday Sun

NEWCASTLE UNITED owner Mike Ashley is ready to name his price to would-be buyers of the club: £225 MILLION.

And he must now wait to see if that figure scares off a Chinese consortium showing interest in the Magpies.

Although a rumoured Icelandic bid for the club came to nothing, the Sunday Sun understands there is real substance to talk of an approach from China.

But whether that will offer Ashley a £50 million-plus premium on his investment in United remains to be seen.

The sports retail billionaire has ploughed around £170 million – £133 million in buying the club, £30 million to reduce its debts and a £7 million net spend on players – into St James’s Park.

Bit of a non-story from today's Sun about this stuff, which pales into insignificance when compared with what Allardyce says in the Guardian if you ask me.

Toons £225m price tag

by Neil Farrington, Sunday Sun

NEWCASTLE UNITED owner Mike Ashley is ready to name his price to would-be buyers of the club: £225 MILLION.

And he must now wait to see if that figure scares off a Chinese consortium showing interest in the Magpies.

Although a rumoured Icelandic bid for the club came to nothing, the Sunday Sun understands there is real substance to talk of an approach from China.

But whether that will offer Ashley a £50 million-plus premium on his investment in United remains to be seen.

The sports retail billionaire has ploughed around £170 million £133 million in buying the club, £30 million to reduce its debts and a £7 million net spend on players into St Jamess Park.

Bit of a non-story from today's Sun about this stuff, which pales into insignificance when compared with what Allardyce says in the Guardian if you ask me.

Do you think it is coincidence that the Mirror, The People, NOTW and the Sun have all come up with a figure of £225m?  It could be that one came up with the figure and the rest followed like sheep or maybe the Ashley camp are feeding that figure out to the media.  Ashley is committed to Newcastle and has no intention of selling up.  Paul Kemsley says so from his yacht, so it must be true.

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/story_pages/sport/sport4.shtml

SPURS have amazingly offered a grovelling apology to under-fire manager Martin Jol.

Vice-chairman Paul Kemsley — the man at the centre of the secret meeting with Sevilla coach Juande Ramos — has said ‘sorry' to Jol and the Tottenham fans.

Kemsley accepts his ill-advised trip to Spain has plunged White Hart Lane into crisis and left Jol's job in jeopardy.

But today, as Spurs face Manchester United at Old Trafford, Kemsley broke his silence.

In an exclusive News of the World interview, Kemsley also dismissed speculation he wants to buy Spurs with best friend and Newcastle supremo Mike Ashley.

Kemsley said: "I am sorry about last weekend's escapade and for the damage and upset it has caused to both Martin Jol, the club and the supporters. The truth is that we never offered Martin's job to Juande Ramos no matter what anybody thinks.

"I went to Seville for two reasons. Firstly to talk with Sevilla about the way they run their club and to discuss their model for success because that's what I want for Tottenham-success.

"I have been a season ticket holder at Spurs since I was seven and there are not many people who can say that.

"You must believe I want what's best for the club and I think you should always talk to other people, especially successful people, to see how they have achieved so much.

"I must admit the second reason I was there was as a contingency against Martin leaving.

"I know Martin is hugely ambitious, he is always telling me that, and I know he is a coveted manager. There are a lot of teams out there who would love him in charge of their club.

"I liken it to being married to a beautiful woman — it's wonderful to have a beautiful wife but it can make you insecure and worried that you might lose her.

"That's how I feel about Martin. I think he is great but I'm worried he could leave. So you must have a contingency plan.

"It's like having a life vest under your seat on an aeroplane. You hope you don't have to use it but you are safe in the knowledge that it's there in case of an emergency.

"I am not trying to force Martin out. I am 100 per cent behind him and I know Daniel Levy is 100 per cent behind him, too. The events of the last week might not have given that impression and I regret that.

"But I could not allow this situation to continue to undermine the club. Let's stop all this talk of crisis and let's use this as a rallying call to everyone who loves Spurs.

"This is my call to arms to everyone who loves the club-let's all pull together to try and achieve what we all want — the very best. Let's give Martin our full backing."

Kemsley, speaking from his yacht in the south of France, then scotched all talk that he wants to topple chairman Levy and assume control of the club himself.

And he laughed off reports that he has teamed up with multi-millionaire chum Ashley to try to seize control at White Hart Lane.

Kemsley added: "I am a great admirer of Daniel and what he has done for this club. The report that I'm teaming up with Mike to take charge is just nonsense.

"Yes, Mike is my best friend and has been from the time we worked together in a sports shop as teenagers. But he's not a Tottenham fan and I know he is totally committed to Newcastle.

"Me? I always have been a Spurs fan so I would love it if we could stuff Newcastle 4-0 when we play them and, friends or not, I would laugh straight in Mike's face."

Sunday Sun,Sunday Mirror and the People printed the same story.Probably have something in it.

Harry Harris pumped this story out in yesterdays Express & regardless of my own views on HH when it comes to non-footballing matters he is the one man all the other hacks look to. So it was blatantly obvious that the Sunday papers were going copy & add to his original piece.

wouldn't it be great to know the truth about the stories we've heard since the takeover?

firstly what are ashley's intentions?  short and long term...?  financial and football?

secondly, and more importantly, if none of it's (selling up) true then WHY THE FUCK do the journalists bother making up stuff about NUFC when they're predominantly based in the South?

from my point of view it's unthinkable that a businessman like ashley would invest such a sum of money so fast in a club only to sell up unless he had already guaranteed the sell-on at a massive profit....we all know he's not a spurs/toon fan but a shrewd businessman so what the fuck would make him sell up and go to spurs? 

his mate being there, not likely...no sentiment in business

spurs being a better prospect than NUFC...don't make me laugh; to compete with other clubs they'll need to build a stadium like, er, we've already got and have a profile throughout europe and the world like, er, we've already got...to name but two reasons

so what is it?  i'm fucked if i know but if they taught me in journalism 101 to make up such a pile of shit i'd have walked out and become a binman...a four year-old wouldn't come up with such shite!

wouldn't it be great to know the truth about the stories we've heard since the takeover?

firstly what are ashley's intentions?  short and long term...?  financial and football?

secondly, and more importantly, if none of it's (selling up) true then WHY THE FUCK do the journalists bother making up stuff about NUFC when they're predominantly based in the South?

from my point of view it's unthinkable that a businessman like ashley would invest such a sum of money so fast in a club only to sell up unless he had already guaranteed the sell-on at a massive profit....we all know he's not a spurs/toon fan but a shrewd businessman so what the fuck would make him sell up and go to spurs? 

his mate being there, not likely...no sentiment in business

spurs being a better prospect than NUFC...don't make me laugh; to compete with other clubs they'll need to build a stadium like, er, we've already got and have a profile throughout europe and the world like, er, we've already got...to name but two reasons

so what is it?  i'm fucked if i know but if they taught me in journalism 101 to make up such a pile of shit i'd have walked out and become a binman...a four year-old wouldn't come up with such shite!

To sell papers, man. How hard is that to understand? If you notice, every fucking Sunday there is some EXCLUSIVE in one of the red-tops, some outlandish story designed to get to #1 on NewsNow and more importantly to sell lots of papers to people who love to read something, anything about Newcastle United. It's not just us who gets this treatment from the papers, despite what some people will have you believe, I'm sure MJ, brummie, Dr. Spec, 1878, SAFC and others will come on and say exactly the same - that their club gets dross written about it on a regular basis, especially in the Sunday rags.

Ask yourself how many weekends go by where we don't feature in anything paper-wise, apart from a match preview/review, and then think about why this is. Just because a lot are based in the South doesn't mean they don't need to flog papers in the North East.

I don't think it's that hard to believe that journalists, qualified or not, do this sort of thing because they get massive fuck-off wage packets from their national papers and help their employers to sell more and more copy to idiots who believe everything they write. They aren't writing for the good of their health or to report the facts, they are writing to keep their jobs, their massive wages and to keep selling papers for their employer.

It's the nature of the business, by and large, although some are obviously worse than others and it's why after initial interest in becoming a sports journalist myself/a fair bit of research into what it entails, I've veered away from that path altogether.