Allardyce: Bad smell is disappearing

Wullie

Sam scents sweet smell of success

by Neil Farrington, Sunday Sun

SAM ALLARDYCE last night insisted life will be sweet at Newcastle this season — because he has got rid of the bad “smell” at the club.

The new Magpies manager claimed the mood in the dressing room he inherited this summer stank.

But three months of squad rebuilding work has resulted in an environment positive enough to produce a winning team.

“It is very important for me as a manager for the dressing room to be the right dressing room,” said Big Sam. “You know when there is a good one and you can smell a bad one.

“The fact that the smell is a disappearing gives me great heart and hope for the future for Newcastle United.”

Since Allardyce’s arrival, the revolving door at St James’s Park has seen Olivier Bernard, Titus Bramble, Craig Moore, Antoine Sibierski, Scott Parker, Alan O’Brien, Kieron Dyer and now Albert Luque leave for pastures new.

Luque (above) signed a three-year contract with Ajax yesterday, having turned down Real Betis, Benfica, Feyenoord and PSV Eindhoven to move to Amsterdam.

And in terms of incoming signings, Allardyce added: “Recruiting tough men as well as quality players is the level we are competing at. There is no room for boys in this game at this level.

“People with the character of Joey Barton and Alan Smith have an effect on other people in the dressing room — the right desired effect, not the wrong one.”

Allardyce is still hopeful of striking a deal for Bolton utility man Abdoulaye Faye, and will try to land a right-back this week, with Chelsea duo Glen Johnson and Lassana Diarra on his radar.

If Faye does not arrive, Lazio’s Belgian international midfielder Gaby Mudingayi is a potential target.

Interesting comments about "the bad smell disappearing." Bye Kieron.

Probably to do with the attitudes of a lot of the players who are still here as much as the ones who have left when you cross-read it against some of what Nicky Butt says in the same paper today. All good to hear though, that cannot be denied.

Wonder how accurate Farrington is with his "Faye this week plus a right-back (Diarra or Johnson possibles)"...

Probably to do with the attitudes of a lot of the players who are still here as much as the ones who have left when you cross-read it against some of what Nicky Butt says in the same paper today. All good to hear though, that cannot be denied.

Wonder how accurate Farrington is with his "Faye this week plus a right-back (Diarra or Johnson possibles)"...

Recently he's been on the money - he got the Cacapa one before anyone else.

I'm all for Allardyce and and delighted that he is managing the club, but I am slightly concerned that because of his emphasis on getting players with the right attitude, he is sacrificing a bit of the flair and playmaker type of players who by their very own creative instincts aren't usually the most disciplined of players. You can't do well with just having discipllined hacklers like Smith, Butt and Geremi in midfield. I know it's early days, but the only creative players we have in midfield now is Emre, Milner, Barton (maybe), Zoggy (if he is played in midfield) and Duff (though to me he still has lots to prove). Objectively, there is not much difference between Allardyce's "players with the right attitude" and Souness' "proper players".

I'm also not very sure of how Barton can be categorized as having the right attitude. I hope Allardyce can turn him around but if there was one player that is equally a magnet for bad press the way Dyer and Bowyer was, then it has to be Barton.

Show me a disciplined creative playmaker who does not attarct any bad press and I'll show you a virgin whore....I can think of Paul Scholes (playmaker in the very lose sense)....but I struggle after that...

Guest StJames

Don't really understand why we are still looking for defensive mid types. Theres already Butt, Geremi ,Barton, Smith who can play that role. We lost flair players in Dyer and Luque.

These two can play at right back - Somewhat necessary in our situation. Otherwise I'd agree with you as far as flair is concerned. :thup:

Not sure where I read it but an article said "a senior player" no longer with club ripped into Matty P for a dodgy pass & Barton stuck up for the Matty saying you should be encouraging not critiscing.

Also I think it is good we have non drinker like Alan Smith in the ranks & once Nobby leaves it is another fun time Franky out of the club.

Not sure where I read it but an article said "a senior player" no longer with club ripped into Matty P for a dodgy pass & Barton stuck up for the Matty saying you should be encouraging not critiscing.

Also I think it is good we have non drinker like Alan Smith in the ranks & once Nobby leaves it is another fun time Franky out of the club.

Aye my mate told me about that last night, think he said it was the chronicle...gotta be Dyer surely

Aye my mate told me about that last night, think he said it was the chronicle...gotta be Dyer surely

BINGO! Here it is

I

heard a story from one of the coaching staff that one of the senior professionals – no longer with the club – blasted Mattie Pattison for making a bad pass in training.

Barton immediately leapt to Mattie’s defence, telling a rather surprised senior pro that he should be encouraging the young players, not having a go at them.

http://icnewcastle.icnetwork.co.uk/newcastleunited/chroniclesport/tm_headline=sam-8217-s-good-guys&method=full&objectid=19686699&siteid=50081-name_page.html

I've heard nothing but good things btw about Viduka's attitude from his time at Boro. Always working hard in training and great at helping the young lads along, always willing to lend a hand with them, trying to bring them into the fold when some of them were perhaps a bit daunted, making them feel at home, will to offer advice, stay behind and work on things with them.  blueyes.gif

tbf someone has to tell pattison how to f*cking pass the ball...

Oh and lassana diara- i'd be very happy with that

Guest elbee909

If it were Dyer, I hardly think he's particularly qualified to give advice on passing.

Guest Guinness

Apparently Bernard stinks.

:lol: Was it Jimmy Bullard who said that in an interview? I remeber watching it but I can't remember who said it. Maybe thats why he was released so quickly.

If it were Dyer, I hardly think he's particularly qualified to give advice on passing.

My paraplegic cousin andrew is  qualified to give pattison passing advice.

i don't really have a paraplegic cousin...

Apparently Bernard stinks.

:lol: Was it Jimmy Bullard who said that in an interview? I remeber watching it but I can't remember who said it. Maybe thats why he was released so quickly.

Aye, Jimmy Bullard :laugh:

That article is truly appaling, you'd struggle to get a GCSE with such shoddy writing.

No coincidence the dressing room improves as Dyer leaves, so happy we're free of that tosser.

Diarra's not a right back, though he's played there a bit for Chelsea and France and has more than held his own. Playing Diarra there would be like playing Geremi, Solano or Taylor there, it'd be a makeshift solution really.

I'd rather have Diarra than Faye for the simple reason that we already have experience in Butt, and need to be thinking more long term now that our squad has experience in every single position. Faye does have the added advantage of covering centre back though, it'd be great to know we have 4 quality centre backs.