Middlesbrough 2 - 2 Newcastle - 26/08/07 - Post match reaction from page 18

Dave

Owen - thought he was going to repeat his flick against Brazil in 2002 but it wasn't to be

@ Wullie

I think Owen score vs Portugal 2004.

Ah yes, you're right, that's the one I'm thinking of. Ta.

Owen - thought he was going to repeat his flick against Brazil in 2002 but it wasn't to be

@ Wullie

No problem mate.My memory is still very good.

Semi-final against Portugal.

shite game

both teams had 2 shots and 2 goals

pretty gutted we didnt pick up 3 points

owen shouldve scored but he couldnt get a little flick on the ball  >:(

ramage injury? whats wrong with him and carr

@ Wullie

No problem mate.My memory is still very good.

Semi-final against Portugal.

*Quarter final.

4-3-3 is a very poor formation against most teams, Smith in midfield is also a poor decision against teams that we should be beating.  I think 4-3-3 has cost us creativity for the second game in a row although I couldn't say for sure that we'd have won either with 4-4-2, I do think it would have been easier for the players.

We either have to play Nobby or get rid of him, while he's here we should use him as we are missing a spark in midfield when he's not in the team.  We've still got Barton to come back and I think he'll make a difference, I'm not sure at all about Emre, and he’s got a lot to do to become an important player for us.

Solano should still be appearing at RB, even with Carr fit. Not even having him on the bench is a poor decision, especially with no other midfielders on there. Solano might want away, but if he appears for NUFC, I trust him to give 100% every time he plays so it's not a concern to me. If he's here, he plays.

Being optimistic, I'd say Allardyce is using 4-3-3 at this stage to make us primarily hard to beat, with creativity issues being solved after that. :)

Being pessimistic, I'd say 4-3-3 is Allardyce's favoured formation and he wants to use it even if we don't have the right players, and will only switch to 4-4-2 as a last resort in games.

Being optimistic, I'd say Allardyce is using 4-3-3 at this stage to make us primarily hard to beat, with creativity issues being solved after that. :)

Being pessimistic, I'd say 4-3-3 is Allardyce's favoured formation and he wants to use it even if we don't have the right players, and will only switch to 4-4-2 as a last resort in games.

But surely 4-3-3 is the more positive approach to a game though?

Solano should still be appearing at RB, even with Carr fit. Not even having him on the bench is a poor decision, especially with no other midfielders on there. Solano might want away, but if he appears for NUFC, I trust him to give 100% every time he plays so it's not a concern to me. If he's here, he plays.

Probably just keeping him healthy in case a bid comes in. If he's still here after window closes, you figure he'll be a bigger part of the team.

I wouldn't disagree with that, getting the back sorted has to be a priority, get the points then start to play the football.

Guest teepee

i completely agree - nobby still has a lot to offer...

not at all.

Agreed, he'd be the last person I'd expect to perform badly just to get away.

It's not the most positive because two of your front 3 usually end up playing wider than a normal front 2, in reality it's 4-5-1 but spun out to be something else.

Few points:

1. Too many long balls.

2. Are we relying too much of the front 3 to do the attacking?

3. Even the 3 central midfielders couldn't outplay Boro 2 central midfielders.

4. Aliadere is proving to be a shrewd buy for Middlesbrough.

5. We should start Cacapa.

6. These are not to be interpreted as wanting Sam out of the club.