Steven Taylor

SUPERTOON

I don't want to go on about this, but Taylor for me lacks one of the basics. He doesn't know how to man-mark, he just defends a general area in front off goal. Kaka was spot on when he compared him to Wheater who has come on in leaps and bounds while Taylor still defends like a kid in a local park

Taylor doesn't know how to man mark, but do any of our defenders? It seems like there's never really much thought when it comes to that at all.

Wheater gets far too much credit as he scores goals at the other end.

IF he didn't do that no one but Boro fans would of noticed him.

He's also dirtier than Huth, mistimed tackles, stray elbows, he'd be picking up yellows at a higher rate than Smith if he played for us, but somehow for some reason Ref's go easy on him.

What was he doing for Ronaldo's goal for two nil? Ronaldo was running at him, while Taylor was running backwards as usual. You know why he did the full circle turn? he was looking behind him to see where the posts was so he could make a fantastic goal line clearance - or failing that a flying save followed by the 'shot in the gut act' on conceding a pen. Priceless.

Again people bench marking him against the worlds greatest of talents.  bluelaugh.gif

That goal had absolutely nothing to do with Ronaldo being world class btw.

No it had everything to do with NUFC being shite and a push over, not just Taylor tbf.

Another excuse. He had a mare for that man. You might rate him but you can't argue with that.

Having a mare against one of the best attacking Manu teams in history in terms of technique, flair and pace is nothing to be ashamed of. Hold it against him, i don't, i just hope you hold the same opinion of the games result and performance against the rest of the team and most certainly the manager.

What was he doing for Ronaldo's goal for two nil? Ronaldo was running at him, while Taylor was running backwards as usual. You know why he did the full circle turn? he was looking behind him to see where the posts was so he could make a fantastic goal line clearance - or failing that a flying save followed by the 'shot in the gut act' on conceding a pen. Priceless.

Again people bench marking him against the worlds greatest of talents.  bluelaugh.gif

No it had everything to do with NUFC being shite and a push over, not just Taylor tbf.

Another excuse. He had a mare for that man. You might rate him but you can't argue with that.

Having a mare against one of the best attacking Manu teams in history in terms of technique, flair and pace is nothing to be ashamed of. Hold it against him, i don't, i just hope you hold the same opinion of the games result and performance against the rest of the team and most certainly the manager.

The third one especially was all down to the quality of Man Utd wasnt it bluelaugh.gif

Taylor just running past Ronaldo without making contact leaving him one on one with the keeper. Suprised Ronaldo didnt stop there wondering what the fuck just happened. Black & white shirt just flashing infront of him and suddenly he's all alone against Harper

The third one especially was all down to the quality of Man Utd wasnt it bluelaugh.gif

Taylor just running past Ronaldo without making contact leaving him one on one with the keeper. Suprised Ronaldo didnt stop there wondering what the fuck just happened. Black & white shirt just flashing infront of him and suddenly he's all alone against Harper

That was the plan: Shock and confuse.  :razz:

I was talking about the specific incident. Which I think I made clear.

Always looking at the smaller picture.

Always looking at the smaller picture.

That specific incident was being discussed though. You were the one who tried to make it into a 'benchmarking him against the world's best is unfair' thing when, I'll say it again, just for you, that particular incident which led to that goal was more about him fucking up than Ronaldo being class. I suspect you know that already though.

I don't want to go on about this, but Taylor for me lacks one of the basics. He doesn't know how to man-mark, he just defends a general area in front off goal. Kaka was spot on when he compared him to Wheater who has come on in leaps and bounds while Taylor still defends like a kid in a local park

Taylor doesn't know how to man mark, but do any of our defenders? It seems like there's never really much thought when it comes to that at all.

Wheater gets far too much credit as he scores goals at the other end.

IF he didn't do that no one but Boro fans would of noticed him.

He's also dirtier than Huth, mistimed tackles, stray elbows, he'd be picking up yellows at a higher rate than Smith if he played for us, but somehow for some reason Ref's go easy on him.

Pointing at other defenders isn't going to make Taylor any better btw. All our defenders are much better at marking. Faye is. Cacapa and Rozenhal both are/were, their problem is not being strong enough to handle physical sides. There's no harm in pointing out strengths and weaknesses it's not personal. I'd start Cacapa ahead of Taylor most days of the week no problem. I'd like to see Edgar as well, maybe if we get to safety he'll be given a go.

KK backs Taylor to bounce back

Feb 29 2008 by Alan Oliver, Evening Chronicle

KEVIN KEEGAN is backing his central defender Steven Taylor to shake off the blues Newcastle United suffered at the hands of the Reds last Saturday.

The England Under-21 skipper has been United’s best defender this season, but even he had no answer to the off-the-ball running of Manchester United trio Cristiano Ronaldo, Wayne Rooney and Carlos Tevez in the 5-1 mauling at St James’s Park.

Keegan has admitted the club’s dip in form has taken its toll on all his players, not least the 22-year-old Taylor.

But the United boss is convinced Taylor’s do-or-die attitude whenever he pulls on the black-and-white shirt will see him emerge an even better player.

Keegan said today: “Steven Taylor is a young player, and he’s totally committed, but again he’s feeling the effects of not winning football matches.”

Taylor put his contract talks on the back burner while the club hopes to avoid being involved in a relegation battle, and Keegan knows that he will get 100% from his centre-half against Blackburn tomorrow.

And Taylor goes into tomorrow’s game knowing that he has had mixed luck against Blackburn in the past.

He was sent off at Ewood Park after tangling with Craig Bellamy on the day Michael Owen scored his first goal for the club in 2005-06, but last season he scored the second goal in United’s Oba Martins-inspired 3-0 victory.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2008/02/29/kk-backs-taylor-to-bounce-back-72703-20541079/

:kasper:

:frantic:

That's the problem, he's so biased. Not really a dig at Taylor because although I'm not a fan of his it wouldn't be fair to single him out for criiticism because both the back four and team in general have been pretty poor this season. Likewise, I don't see how Taylor has earned the right to be singled out for that sort of praise either. Oliver is embarrassing, he really is. People do believe what he writes though which makes it even worse.

What annoys me is the very real possibilty that Taylor and his family and friends will no doubt buy into this idea, and he will no doubt be feeling his performances are good enough.

In reality he should be pushing himself as hard as possible right now to make some big improvements in his game, which has not been up to scratch this season.

That's the problem, he's so biased. Not really a dig at Taylor because although I'm not a fan of his it wouldn't be fair to single him out for criiticism because both the back four and team in general have been pretty poor this season. Likewise, I don't see how Taylor has earned the right to be singled out for that sort of praise either. Oliver is embarrassing, he really is. People do believe what he writes though which makes it even worse.

You know my feelings on Taylor and i agree with you.

Not just Oliver who does it, Lee Ryder also bangs on about Talyor on the videos they do. I would love to get a way from the Geordie/Young English talent agenda they go on about! Just makes them look so cluess when every other team above us in the league, especially the top four are full of foreign players!

Guest Knightrider

Watch Taylor for England under21s, flawless and looks very decent indeed. I know the standard isn't the same but his all-round play is spot on in pretty much everything he does. Here though...

Anyway he has potential but he's not reaching it, that's down to circumstances and himself. Will he fulfill it? Has a long way to go. Not our worst defender by any means though and not the worst performer at the club either.

Guest Knightrider

Oliver/local press bum him because he gives them interviews. If Martins did they'd bum him as well. Sadly many fans see this bumming and use it as a stick to beat Taylor. People are actually now using his Geordie/local lad status against him as well, which is sad, just as sad as using others' high rating of him as justification for then saying he's shite, which again a number do, some have even admitted it on here in the past.

KK backs Taylor to bounce back

Feb 29 2008 by Alan Oliver, Evening Chronicle

But the United boss is convinced Taylor’s do-or-die attitude whenever he pulls on the black-and-white shirt will see him emerge an even better player.

It's a crutch.

Maybe if he concentrated on tracking the movement of players and stopped trying to be fucking Braveheart all the time, he might improve. 

Guest Erich von Manstein

Mate in Liverpool reckons they will bid for him now Carra and Hyppia are out.

Would you sell him??

Definitely.

Guest float one in

Mate in Liverpool reckons they will bid for him now Carra and Hyppia are out.

Would you sell him??

Definitely.

Depends whether or not Ashleys going to give KK mega money to spend, and how much Liverpool would offer. If we've got cash to splash, don't sell him - he is still young, is a local lad and does have ability, nevermind how poor his performances have been recently.

If we've not got a lot to spend (which would be a very, very bad situation) then as long as Liverpool were offering a lot (more than 10 mil?) we should sell him to try and find better replacements.

He's burst onto the scene a few seasons ago, everybody liked the look of him, and since then he hasn't really looked like fulfilling the potential. However, he's been playing for poor managers in a poor team in front of massive crowds - not easy for an inexperienced defender. Were John Terry or Carrager that much better than Taylor at the same age? Forgeting about how much we dislike those two as people, as defenders we'd absolutely love them in our team - home grown, high quality defenders who love playing for their clubs. They've been allowed to develop in good teams under good managers and now look at them.