Steven Taylor

SUPERTOON

The whole thing makes me laugh, some people are so deluded its unreal.

So he isn't as good as Ferdinand or Terry were at his age, f*** a duck! The lad isnt as good as the two best centre backs in the league were, get rid!

Then people say you are making excuses for the lad when you point out some of his partners over the last few years! Im sure John Terry didn't learn a thing playing alongside Desailly! The whole Gazza comparison is a pile of piss aswell, you really don't want individuals in defence and if Gazza made a fantastic run and lost the ball (ie made a mistake) it is quite likely its going to be a hell of a lot less damaging than if Taylor does it. But then I suppose "proper" defenders don't ever make mistakes! Just hope I live long enough to see one of these magical creatures!

I think people just want to point out that he isn't going to be the panacea that some deluded folk think he will. He's nowhere near Micah Richards in any position on a football pitch, or Wes Brown at the same age. Lower expectations might help the lad, he'a not bad but a long long way from the finished article.

Nb: You clearly never saw Gazza in 1986/87 did you? He was as disciplined a midfielder as we have had. without that discipline we were down.

One day you might benefit from watching things at SJP Jon, you get to see people off the ball as well as on it.

If you can't see the point about comparing a midfielder with a defender then you are to f****** thick to have a conversation with.

I was at the last home game, ohhh look at me superfantastic aren't I! Idiot!

It's not about position Jon, it's about your attempt to deflect from his own abilities. The point of the comment is the issue of nurture. The point remains. Gazza did well with shite and Micah Richards doesn't seem to have been affected too badly.

If you want to debate then do it, not react like a two year old when you don't like it. I'll happily buy you a pint on Wednesday night if you you want to discuss it.

Ohh is that a threat :lol:

As said midfield is a completely different kettle of fish but then Gazza is infinitely better than Taylor and thats quite clear so it was stupid to even be brought up.

I think Richards is better than Taylor aswell but Dunne and Distin are a million times better than anything we have had in defence over recent years.

As said midfield is a completely different kettle of fish but then Gazza is infinitely better than Taylor and thats quite clear so it was stupid to even be brought up.

I think Richards is better than Taylor aswell but Dunne and Distin are a million times better than anything we have had in defence over recent years.

A threat? Dear me, you are shirty today boy. It was an offer! Woodgate was a lot better than Dunne or Distin, by the way. So you're wrong on that score.

On the Gazza issue, the point remains. Both needed nurturing and what I was pointing out is that good players will do it anyway. Not keen on the nonsense about blaming all and sundry for the faults of the player. Nobody makes Taylor daydream or star jump, do they?

A threat? Dear me, you are shirty today boy. It was an offer! Woodgate was a lot better than Dunne or Distin, by the way. So you're wrong on that score.

On the Gazza issue, the point remains. Both needed nurturing and what I was pointing out is that good players will do it anyway. Not keen on the nonsense about blaming all and sundry for the faults of the player. Nobody makes Taylor daydream or star jump, do they?

How many times did Taylor play with Woodgate exactly?

I bet any money players like Terry, Campbell, Toure will put part of their development down to who they had playing alongside them. Obviously they had plenty of their own natural ability but a lot of defence is about experience and young players will find it easier to learn if they aren't just thrown in with a pile of shit who half the time they are trying to drag through games and not the other way round.

Guest sittingontheball

Everyone has a price. Taylor's is very high though, esp. after U21s and recent inflation. At least after the Dyer episode, it doesn't look like we're going to give away anyone on the cheap anymore.

Everyone has a price. Taylor's is very high though, esp. after U21s and recent inflation. At least after the Dyer episode, it doesn't look like we're going to give away anyone on the cheap anymore.

Worth £20m tbh ;)

How many times did Taylor play with Woodgate exactly?

I bet any money players like Terry, Campbell, Toure will put part of their development down to who they had playing alongside them. Obviously they had plenty of their own natural ability but a lot of defence is about experience and young players will find it easier to learn if they aren't just thrown in with a pile of s*** who half the time they are trying to drag through games and not the other way round.

How many times? Who knows, probably hundreds on the training ground. His formative years here were with Bobby Robson who wasn't a bad coach iirc. Of course, it's easier to play with better players. However, there are loads of examples of players who have been excellent despite playing with shite. In the end the buck stops with the player. Taylor's problems seem to lie more with his poor concentration and decision making as well as the fact that he doesn't possess the acceleration of  Brown, Ferdinand or Richards, nor does he have the positional sense of Terry or Woodgate.

All these 'haters' are saying is that he needs time and probably lower expectations. Pint?

Some of the comment I read about Taylor reminds me of stuff posted in the past about Jenas and Ameobi. Taylor is a young player learning the role who isn't good enough right now to be a first choice defender. It's good FS has brought a couple of players in who will take the pressure off Taylor and allow him to develop. Giving him more time could be the making of him, although I'm far from convinced he's going to be as good as I'd hoped.

If he stays, all well and good. If he goes, I'm not that bothered if the fee is right and a decent replacement comes in.

So he is expected to learn everything from the one quality partner he had from a few training ground sessions. Yep I see how that works.

Taylor is a good player with lots of natural ability. He does make mistakes and its something he has to work on but he is still only 21 and as said he hasn't been helped playing with people he is probably had to drag though games more than the other way round.

He will be a good defender, as good as Terry and Co? Probably not, although as someone else said players do mature at different ages so who knows, he certainly has a lot of ability.

Definitely shouldn't be selling though and I would be very worried if we did unless its for a stupidly high offer.

Some of the comment I read about Taylor reminds me of stuff posted in the past about Jenas and Ameobi. Taylor is a young player learning the role who isn't good enough right now to be a first choice defender. It's good FS has brought a couple of players in who will take the pressure off Taylor and allow him to develop. Giving him more time could be the making of him, although I'm far from convinced he's going to be as good as I'd hoped.

If he stays, all well and good. If he goes, I'm not that bothered if the fee is right and a decent replacement comes in.

FS?

So he is expected to learn everything from the one quality partner he had from a few training ground sessions. Yep I see how that works.

Taylor is a good player with lots of natural ability. He does make mistakes and its something he has to work on but he is still only 21 and as said he hasn't been helped playing with people he is probably had to drag though games more than the other way round.

He will be a good defender, as good as Terry and Co? Probably not, although as someone else said players do mature at different ages so who knows, he certainly has a lot of ability.

Definitely shouldn't be selling though and I would be very worried if we did unless its for a stupidly high offer.

Everyone makes mistakes anyway look at Rio FFS.

FS?

fat sam?

Strange how almost everyone, including McClaren (Yeah, i know, shut up) thinks he's a good player, but some people on here think he's s***!

Its a Newcastle forum, we don't rate anyone!

We rate DECO and KAKA OMGZZ DEY ARE COMMIN TO NOOCASLE!!

FS?

fat sam?

Good point. Soo childish! :razz:

FS?

fat sam?

As childish as FFS? ;)

FS?

fat sam?

As childish as FFS? ;)

;)

FS?

fat sam?

As childish as FFS? ;)

;)

;)

That's just it though, he isn't about to be sold, neither are Liverpool about to make an offer. Those who aren't raising him up as a god are just pointing out that he's not really good enough to command a regular first team place yet, not if we want to compete with the best anyway. He can certainly do a good job if called on, but at his age, you wouldn't expect him to be the finished article in any case. He's still got a lot to learn.