African Cup of Nations

Dave

If the expected transfers come off, we'll now lose the following in January:

ST - Martins

CM - Geremi

CD - Faye

RB - Beye

All in/around first-team selection for every game.

Could it fuck up our season? :undecided:

Hopefully not. By January, hopefully we'll have Owen fit, plus Viduka, Ameobi and Smith for up front, more than enough to cover for Martins' absence. We'll have Barton, Emre, Butt, Milner, Zoggy, Duff, Solano for midfield cover, plus Roz if needed. In defence, Hopefully Enrique will be established as LB, Roz, Cacapa, Taylor for CB, and if needed Carr as RB for a few games. All of this taken before we buy anyone else. I'm sure if things are not going to plan by Christmas, Sam'll have a few ready to bring in...

They'll miss Man Utd and Arsenal, both away. Any injuries and they might miss Man Utd at home too. :o

That's only about 1 point we'll be missing out on from those two away games, though.

Could say that those are exactly the sort of games I'm happy for them to miss, because we'd probably get chuff all out of them with a full-strength eleven.

It's obviously not ideal, but the squad should be beefy enough to cover it if we haven't been beset with injuries. We have two players for every position plus more if Faye and Beye sign!

Squad depth really paying off, or should be.

All will be challenging for spots, but aside from Beye I don't see any of them as being a whole lot better than the alternatives, assuming everyone is fit.

They'll miss Man Utd and Arsenal, both away. Any injuries and they might miss Man Utd at home too. :o

That's only about 1 point we'll be missing out on from those two away games, though.

Could say that those are exactly the sort of games I'm happy for them to miss, because we'd probably get chuff all out of them with a full-strength eleven.

It's obviously not ideal, but the squad should be beefy enough to cover it if we haven't been beset with injuries. We have two players for every position plus more if Faye and Beye sign!

Aye, it's a weird one, is it better they are missing our annual 'meaningless' games?

it could, potentially, screw up the season up yes..  also there'll be lots of "what if.."s

you know- "what if we had martins against arsenal, we could have salvaged a point" or whatever..

but that's why sam has added enough depth to the squad- imagine if we still had roeder, we'd have been screwed right now

Guest optimistic nit

i think for once we actually have a squad, something we've been missing for a while. we have replacements at right back (carr/solano (not ideal, car anyway, but we're not losing anything, as we've had carr there for a while anyway) replacements at centreback (we have 3 good centrebacks discounting faye if he comes and huntington and edgar could step in as well), replacements up front (owens and viduka isn't shabby, and ameobi, smith and maybe milner could play there as well, and carroll) and replacements in cm (Barton, Butt, Emre, N'zog maybe, Smith will all be available if not injured, and i get the feeling i've missed out someone).

sure, we lose players-though hopefully we should have replacements to fill in. but our opposition should lost plenty of players also. I don't have the time to check up exactly who right now, but it's not like they will be able to throw everyone at us too-not many teams have no important african players now.

Guest Sniffer

No really Gejon. Only africans.

And my point in not paying them would be aimed at changing the timing of the competition to fit in with the rest of the world's schedule not preventing them representing their country.  I'd be interested to see how many players would opt out if the likes of Newcastle was not footing the bill.

Guest optimistic nit

And my point in not paying them would be aimed at changing the timing of the competition to fit in with the rest of the world's schedule not preventing them representing their country.  I'd be interested to see how many players would opt out if the likes of Newcastle was not footing the bill.

aye glad to see owen was so quick to generously take no money when he was injured for a year. how nice and brittish of him.

They would just go somewhere where they would get paid.

Africans were internationals last time I checked.