Butt over Geremi

timnufc22
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

For me Butt should be in the holding role ahead of Geremi if one was to be picked. Been quality so far, possibly unlucky not to get the armband. Both of them in the team is fine away from home although at home Geremi needs to get forward more than he has done. Although I understand that its about playing the percentages and bieng solid, possibly not play the most fluid football, but with people like Martins up-front we should nick a goal.

Think Butt's played much better so far, granted things wernt amazing vs villa & boro, but thought Butt was one of the few to come out with some credit, and looked good when he came on against Barnsley. His experience is vital, he dosent needs to be the most mobile because he can read the game so well, and his passing is under-rated. Also a good talker, seen him bollock Taylor more than once this season.

Are we going to have another Parker/Butt situation here where one of them is automatically selected because he's captain?

Its quality weve got competition, really healthy. Although I do hope just because Geremi is captain he should never be dropped it would be wrong, and theres no big deal if he is, players have dips in form captain or not.

Guest teepee

butt is the safest bet imo - but geremi may improve in that position

but i fear that we do, as baggio suggests, have a parker/butt like situation, where geremi is almost undroppable!

Butt is certainly valuable in certain games, but for me he still gives the ball away too much, so although he wins quite a few challanges, he often wastes having the ball. Geremi I don't think is 'solid' as much as Butt, but has a sweeter touch and does provide the set piece option. It'll be interesting to see Geremi with Barton also in the side, I think they could compliment each other well.

Guest Stephen927

If they're both on the pitch, I'd have Geremi pushed a bit further forward with Butt in the holding role.

If I had to pick just one player to play, I'd play Geremi in the holding role and Butt on the bench. It's hard to say though cos I can't see Butt playing most games this season unless somebody goes through a bad patch of form which is highly likely. For me he is a good player to have to add a bit of depth and experience.

Geremi is a tad strange. Winning the ball doesnt seem natural to him - he can "tackle", but he'll not do so to anywhere near the degree or fluidity of Butt. Sometimes Geremi looks like hes making a half-hearted challenge, or is pulling out, but I think its more a case of raw, aggressive tackling not being part of his makeup.

On the other side though, his first touch, composure, and passing, are at a much higher standard than Butt's.

Depends on the opposition/game for me. If we're at home or against a side that we should comfortably outplay, drop Butt and play Geremi, since the onus on us to attack and play some football on the deck in order to create chances. If we're against a team with good attacking midfielders, or teams that will battle hard for every loose ball and would be happy to stick studs into our players, then probably go for Butt.