Newcastle United 1-0 Wigan Athletic - 1/9/07 - Post match reaction from page 19

Guest nufc 4 life

Defence were excellent today, but as everyone is aware, we still lack that killer pass in midfield. It may come in time, once the players start to get more familiar; but at the moment it looks like it could prove problematic in this kind of match.

Other than that I was impressed. Our tempo was fine, and our passing in general was a lot smoother than it has been. And, of course, defensively we look as good as we have in a long, long time. We're going to be a very difficult team to beat this season, and as long as we can continue to nick goals like we did today we'll do well.

I'm pretty optimistic at the moment.

I agree completely.

Despite the lack of action upfront, I'm overly impressed with what I'm seeing at the back. Our defenders look confident on the ball and the mistakes are kept to a few/none at all at times.

We have a really good defence atm and I really think that confidence will spread to the rest of the team. We really need someone like Barton back in CM because they're just not working going forward so far this season. But as soon as they do, it'll be lift off.

I really think teams will soon realise that we're going to difficult to beat this season. I expect that 'fear' from opposition that was around during the times of Sir Bobby will return.

To be honest aswell as we played and no disrepect to the players because they are doing a good good but its a makeshift defence and a midfield which I can see 2 changes when everyone is fit.

We seem a lot more organised which is what I expected under Allardyce as he seems to plan everything down to the finest details. At times we have looked as if we are struggling about creating chances (that said we had 18 shots today and apparently a perfectly good goal ruled out) but we are missing (imo) our main attacking thread from centre midfield (Barton) and there are a lot of new faces, formations etc which will take time to bed in.

Its all very positive as far as I am concerned. Haven't been this optimistic for a good few years.

Guest Knightrider

Defence were excellent today, but as everyone is aware, we still lack that killer pass in midfield. It may come in time, once the players start to get more familiar; but at the moment it looks like it could prove problematic in this kind of match.

Other than that I was impressed. Our tempo was fine, and our passing in general was a lot smoother than it has been. And, of course, defensively we look as good as we have in a long, long time. We're going to be a very difficult team to beat this season, and as long as we can continue to nick goals like we did today we'll do well.

We do lack a creative eye in there (midfield) which isn't ideal, but teams like Wigan are always going to come to St. James' Park to lineup how they did regardless, especially when facing players like Michael Owen who you can't give an inch to and we must accept this because it's going to be the norm with many sides, even some of the better ones. This has been the case for many a year now.

As for: "as long as we can continue to nick goals like we did today we'll do well"

As long as we have a player like Owen in the team we'll always be capable of nicking such type of goals and therefore winning tight games by the odd goal.

I share your optimism.

TBF i think we created a lot today we just couldnt finish, Things weren't happening for us but lucky enough we managed to convert a chance right at the end. On any other day i think we would of had a few goals but for now im happy with that single goal and im soooo happy it was Owen who got it.

One thing im loving so far about the SA era is the shape and discipline of the team, Under Souness and Roeder our team looked so unorganised and with no game plan that it got embaressing and painful to watch. I know its early days but its been a long time since the defence has looked so confident and strong and from what i have seen im very impressed. I think we are still on our honeymoon period under SA so it will be interesting to see if we can bonce straight back after a defeat.

Guest Knightrider

Barton is so important as he will drive forward from midfield and spray the ball about, something that Butt and Geremi were doing or trying to do today. This lacking ingredient is massive and will bring huge dividends to this team. It won't be the final piece of the jigsaw of course but it will help a lot.

What a difference the goal makes buying the team some time to gel as they are definately work in progress. Here's my take:

Harper was excellent the two times it mattered; a big plus to Sam for picking him.

Defence was solid though Heskey won most thinks in the air. Centre backs looked especially solid and the Zog good going forward. Taylor isn't a full back but he made agreat pass for the goal and was unlucky with the header against the bar.

Midfield was average. Did you notice that it was Geremi taking the ball from the back four with Butt further forward. Like the mid week game this kept the ball on the deck more compared to the Villa game. Thought Butt was OK but will make way for Barton soon. Milner had one of his quieter games - no criticism as he has been good. Smith again looked out of place on the right. He needs to be in cenrtal midfield or up front. Martins looks like he could open the best of defences if he had to and is les and less eratic with his general play.

I thought Owen had a good game despite his misses as he linked well. Glad he scored as he scores in gluts. Viduka is still finding his feet; Ameobi was more effective but still not the answer.

Overall; made hard work of getting the points but improving and showing the promise of more to come.

ehis game reminded me of the transfer deadline yesterday,i knew we would score and sign players but still paced the floor for half an hour screaming at Stelling.

I said that when I was listening on the radio. I knew it was going to happen eventually, yet we got nothing all game, then in the final minutes, it happened and we scored - the double of yesterday's deadline day.

I was pacing the room :lol:

Guest nwgeordie

Pleased to see the many optimistic comments posted on here today. Certainly different from the downbeat commentary from Lowes and Anderson on BBC Newcastle - Newcastle World.

Keep up the good work lads and Sam!

8 pts from 4 games that's an average of 2 per game if we keep that up we'll finish on 76 pts and in the champions league !

All good stuff but we've got to put things into perspective of those 4 teams we've played only Aston Villa are likely to in the top half of the table come the end of the season. The true tests of how good we are, are still to come hopefully by then we'll have picked up enough points and the team has had time to gel.

I still think we are not nearly performing as well as we are capable of but if we continue picking points, like today then we can have no complaints.

Just got back from Fulham vs Tottenham ( free ticket :D) Berbatov's and Kamara's goals were class, watch out for them on MOTD.

How did we play today? Can't be arsed to read 26 pages.

Owen was crap ;)

Useless cunt.

Guest Geordiesned

Just got back from Fulham vs Tottenham ( free ticket :D) Berbatov's and Kamara's goals were class, watch out for them on MOTD.

How did we play today? Can't be arsed to read 26 pages.

Owen was crap ;)

No need for the wink, he was! Scored though so I'll let him off this week. :)

N'Zogbia actually looked like a genuine left-back today, rather than a midfielder shoehorned in there. Looked really comfortable winning the ball back, with a eagerness to keep the ball in play, instead of panicking and hoofing it out. Built a good understanding with Caçapa.

Milner had a poor game. Constantly struggled to get past Melchiot - and if he can't get past that clown, than gawd help him - all game, and his tendency to favour his good foot undermined his crossing today.

Bit mystified with Allardyce's substitutions. Smith had a decent game  - his balance of aggression/creativity was better today, although he still got booked. Maybe that influenced Sam's decision to sub him for Martins, instead of moving him in the middle and taking Butt off, who completely fell to bits after Kilbane was dismissed. Just imagine Smith being the extra man, instead of Butt's wasteful forays forward, where he matched his woeful attempt when through on goal against Barnsley with an almost identical attempt this afternoon. I know Sam likes the big man/little man combo, but bringing on the leaden-footed Ameobi instead of Martins annoyed a few people.

Viduka was frustrating but much more mobile than usual. Helped by the Wigan defence playing a lot closer to goal than previous opponents. Didn't seem to have an awareness of where the defenders were, spurning the chance to simply turn round and head straight to goal, electing to dive into the path of defenders, although that did give him a chance to show his silky skills. Canny for a fat lad. But that chance where Smith was free in the box... ...f*cking hell.  >:(

Caç and Dave were as cool as ice. Taylor had a decent game. Was he really sparked out or was that more Emmy award winning acting for the young starlet?

Owen is looking sharper and sharper every game. Doesn't look like a player who'll burn anyone for pace anymore, but he's still got something.

Harper's kicking was an improvement on Given's, but why did he hesitate the throw the ball to the full-back? He kept stalling for no reason.

can I ask what the f*** Kirkland was doing for Owen's goal?

Surely he didn't think he'd claim the cross when both Owen and Boyce were ahead of him?

Who cares?

was just picking up on it, thats all.  For all that Sam talked about Taylor's pass and Oba's cross, it shouldn't have been a goal.

Fair enough we'll take it, but its still fortunate.

can I ask what the f*** Kirkland was doing for Owen's goal?

Surely he didn't think he'd claim the cross when both Owen and Boyce were ahead of him?

Who cares?

was just picking up on it, thats all.  For all that Sam talked about Taylor's pass and Oba's cross, it shouldn't have been a goal.

Fair enough we'll take it, but its still fortunate.

Yeah, my reply was a little bit snappy, but my point was more your 3rd sentence.  We'll leave them to worry about that :razz: